IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encounters - Part 4

Coconut Flan

Wedding report from my above post:

John David Duggar was there.  He was sitting at the table next to us at the reception.  He was alone, as far as I could tell.  Wearing a gray suit and a black shirt - looked pretty dapper.

We sat with a couple who work at ALERT.  They were exceedingly nice and regaled us with tales of when they were missionaries in Mongolia (conclusion:  it gets really, REALLY cold there).  

Wedding gushing - my daughter's friend was a princess straight out of a fairy tale.  There are not enough superlatives to describe how utterly beautiful she looked.  Her groom pretty much burst into tears when the doors opened and he saw her, it was too sweet.  I must say, not that I'm biased or anything, that my daughter looked pretty spectacular too - the bridesmaids wore black, straight, empire-waist dresses and she has pale skin and red hair.  Dynamite combo.  :)

My favorite moment - the bride and her dad's dance was to LED ZEPPELIN'S "ALL OF MY LOVE."  THAT'S MY GIRL!  I was enjoying the puzzled looks (and probably exploding brains) from all the fundies in the room.  :D

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My current fundie drama. 

Last night Mr.'s Sister in law (the one with 3 kids in three years an an overnight "professional videographer") had a meltdown about having to attend his side of the family's Christmas on Christmas Day instead of a day she got to choose. Then she started freaking out about Christmas presents saying "we can't afford to buy everyone presents. Let's just play a white elephant game with a few gifts instead." This is after she just bought almost $3K worth of camera equipment for her "professional business." (Where do people on government aide even get that kind of money??)

My FIL cornered Mr yesterday, saying his baptist preacher ancestors would just be rolling over in their graves at the fact that we are currently attending a Methodist church. And other snide remarks about it. 

On 11/22/2017 at 11:18 PM, EowynW said:

When I asked her to clarify what she meant, she said "well sex changes your body, you know. It affects you! You have all these sex hormones in your body now!

Was she hinting that you might be pregnant? 

3 hours ago, EowynW said:

My current fundie drama. 

Last night Mr.'s Sister in law (the one with 3 kids in three years an an overnight "professional videographer") had a meltdown about having to attend his side of the family's Christmas on Christmas Day instead of a day she got to choose. Then she started freaking out about Christmas presents saying "we can't afford to buy everyone presents. Let's just play a white elephant game with a few gifts instead." This is after she just bought almost $3K worth of camera equipment for her "professional business." (Where do people on government aide even get that kind of money??)

My FIL cornered Mr yesterday, saying his baptist preacher ancestors would just be rolling over in their graves at the fact that we are currently attending a Methodist church. And other snide remarks about it. 

How do your in-laws reconcile their support of your SIL with their disapproval of the church you attend?  

Don't you usually post about SIL in Are You There Free Jinger?  If not, you have someone over there who has a SIL just like yours.  There are actually several people over there who have really eye-opening stories about their families and in-laws.  Those stories are endlessly entertaining to read, but so often remind people of someone they know who is very similar.

I'm starting to think there should be a separate thread for stories about people who are incredibly "out there" and never seem to feel the fall-out from it.  How about this:  Stories of the hubristic, hypocritical, arrogant, and sanctimonious (and those who are so darned wonderful that just one adjective can't describe them).

37 minutes ago, butterfliesandlattes said:

Was she hinting that you might be pregnant? 

In her dreams! Hahaha! I don't honestly think so. My mother does have some rather interesting views on sex. 

28 minutes ago, Flossie said:

How do your in-laws reconcile their support of your SIL with their disapproval of the church you attend?  

Don't you usually post about SIL in Are You There Free Jinger?  If not, you have someone over there who has a SIL just like yours.  There are actually several people over there who have really eye-opening stories about their families and in-laws.  Those stories are endlessly entertaining to read, but so often remind people of someone they know who is very similar.

I'm starting to think there should be a separate thread for stories about people who are incredibly "out there" and never seem to feel the fall-out from it.  How about this:  Stories of the hubristic, hypocritical, arrogant, and sanctimonious (and those who are so darned wonderful that just one adjective can't describe them).

This SIL has all the grandkids on that side. Which equals automatic fawning. But they also pick on them too for not being fundie enough. It never ends. 

I hadn't heard of the Are You There forum, I will go look! I'd love to read. 

On 12/11/2017 at 9:07 AM, EowynW said:

My current fundie drama. 

My Baptist grandfather married my Methodist grandmother and they raised their kids EUB. None of the 9 kids were baptized till they were adults, if then. 

A hardcore fundie FB posted their holiday family pictures today. They did one of those "peace on earth" pictures with every female sporting a duct taped mouth. 

36 minutes ago, EowynW said:

A hardcore fundie FB posted their holiday family pictures today. They did one of those "peace on earth" pictures with every female sporting a duct taped mouth. 

That's horrible!  How many people were in the photo. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2017 at 1:43 AM, danvillebelle said:

"My favorite moment - the bride and her dad's dance was to LED ZEPPELIN'S "ALL OF MY LOVE."  THAT'S MY GIRL!  I was enjoying the puzzled looks (and probably exploding brains) from all the fundies in the room.  :D"

I wonder if they knew Robert Plant wrote that song for his child that died. It's actually a very sad song.

10 hours ago, solacetea said:
On 12/10/2017 at 12:43 AM, danvillebelle said:

I wonder if they knew Robert Plant wrote that song for his child that died. It's actually a very sad song.

I seriously doubt it.  Half the people in the room probably didn't know/had never heard of Led Zeppelin, and the other half probably knew it but were trying to pretend they didn't.  

So Christmas with fundie inlaws went very well. Just one little bobble when my ex fundie SIL decided to dig out the ATI/gothard books so we could read and snark at the insanity our husbands grew up in. We got busted and scolded by our father in law. Ah well. 

Christmas with my family. Oh boy. 

1 - my brother is fixing to propose to Miss Perfect Fundy. She's college educated and is a teacher, but cannot wait to get married and start popping out the babies. My mother is thrilled because she's such a "good girl",  (I'm getting throwbacks to that Everybody Loves Raymond episode,) because hey, conservative, skirt wearing, pure, careful about what she watches on TV, babiezzz, homemaker, etc etc.

2- My mother honestly just cannot come to terms with the fact that many women just do not want to be/are not wired to be stay at home mothers and spend time with their own children. She finds it so sad. Sigh.  

3- my mother telling me one of the reasons they were so strict and overemphasized gender roles was because they didn't follow all the gender roles themselves, like she always did the money because my dad was bad at it etc. so they over compensated in other areas. Still doesn't make sense to me. 

4- the worse one was my sister quietly telling me her husband was currently upset at her because she isn't "hot & serious" during sex.  That just broke my heart and enraged me. 

8 hours ago, EowynW said:

2- My mother honestly just cannot come to terms with the fact that many women just do not want to be/are not wired to be stay at home mothers and spend time with their own children. She finds it so sad. Sigh.  

4- the worse one was my sister quietly telling me her husband was currently upset at her because she isn't "hot & serious" during sex.  That just broke my heart and enraged me. 

I feel really bad for your sister, that is really sad.

What is your mother's take on working mothers because it's financially necessary?  I would have preferred to stay home but I went back to work when my daughter was 2 because we needed me to.  I understood that and was glad I got to stay home while I did. I was able to go part-time (school hours) when she started elementary school, and that worked fine.  But I did find the Pearls book Created to be His Helpmeet, at a thrift store so I bought it to get it off the shelf before somebody else found it! I figured a thrift store could use my $ but it would not benefit the Pearls at all.  I skimmed it because I'd heard so many bad things about it - and it's pretty bad.  According to them, I'm not her real mom because I sent her to school and didn't homeschool.  Then I shredded it.  But from what I gather, that may be a common opinion among fundies?

I live in the same town, very close to the same street as the maxhells. I have been here for around 20 years. I keep my own religious/politics stuff quiet. We have a mosque here. There are many fundie off-shoots floating around this area. Everyone appears normal till you tell them you are jewish and don't do church. Then the fun begins.

It is so hard to have conversations with fundies because they view EVERYTHING through that lens. Today I had to go sit with my MIL in urgent care and help with after care after ste twisted her knee. I am NOT a natural tender/nurturer but I try because decent human being + I do believe Jesus wants us to learn to be patient & kind with each other.

Anyway, I was telling my mom today that I think my FIL relies on me a little too much to just drop everything and help with my MIL. The curse of living ten minutes away I guess. :-/ 

anyway, my mom, ever the Titus 2 lady, comes back with "oh it may seem that way but you know, for centuries women have tended each other and they rely on us for that. And we've always been the carers and the tenders. It is our job, after all." 

Oh my gosh, Mom. No it isn't. I hate tending. I'm stiff and awkward at it. And I'm not nurturing. Unless its farm animals hah. 

I try to do my part because I believe we are supposed to try to care for each other but it is NOT MY JOB simply because I'm a woman. 

On 29 December 2017 at 10:46 PM, rosary said:

I live in the same town, very close to the same street as the maxhells. I have been here for around 20 years. I keep my own religious/politics stuff quiet. We have a mosque here. There are many fundie off-shoots floating around this area. Everyone appears normal till you tell them you are jewish and don't do church. Then the fun begins.

Have you ever seen any of the Maxwells out and about?

Oh yeah....nothing big.  The usual stuff like inviting me to church. The daughters have more personality than the internet lets on. I know people that go to their church, mostly because they want to be with their relatives in the care home. Generally not as offensive in person as they are on the computer. Now that I have freejinger, I can make note of the visits. I see them at the dillons grocery store, the thrift stores, the Walmart. I have never seen them at aldis.   I do not go to church like that with non-degreed religious personnel.  I did not know who these people were till I went to freejinger.  I generally try to have a live and let live attitude about strangers I do not know. I tend to leave people alone till they bother me.  I am not going to take pictures with them. I do not want these people to think they are famous.

On 1/3/2018 at 7:29 PM, rosary said:

The daughters have more personality than the internet lets on.

Don't mean to pry, but how so? I'm so curious about what they're like offline. 

I've always wanted to post in this thread, but hoped it wouldn't be so boring and D-List in our Fundie world.  
I saw Sharron Bailey of Herman & Sharron fame at the local Publix.  They're on CTN (Christian Television Network) & no one would know who they are unless you watch the religious channels for giggles like I do.  She was buying lunch meat and produce.  ;)
https://www.facebook.com/HermanAndSharronTV/

Odd thing is, this isn't the normal Publix I shop at.  It was on my way home from a mammogram, and is known by locals as the Kirstie Alley Publix (since there are a lot of Kirstie sightings there).  But alas, I did not see  Kirstie, which is probably a good thing since I'd be tempted to say something 'not nice'.  

On 1/15/2018 at 11:53 PM, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

xsnipx

Odd thing is, this isn't the normal Publix I shop at.  It was on my way home from a mammogram, and is known by locals as the Kirstie Alley Publix (since there are a lot of Kirstie sightings there).  But alas, I did not see  Kirstie, which is probably a good thing since I'd be tempted to say something 'not nice'.  xxx

You could ask her if we could trade out the rescue ferrets for her lemurs...:ferret:

IKEA. Holy gracious. There were at least 6-8 women and kids in long skirts and a couple in almost frumpers (I couldn’t count they all looked the same except if their hair was down and long or in a braid wrapped around like a big bun)... maybe 3 men or older teenagers, not a lot of kids though. Every time I turned around I saw them. My guess is ikea has a lot of great storage and is pretty inexpensive. Very strange!

And my first experience like this and now I think I wouldn’t be able to go see a family on purpose in person cause I already almost couldn’t stop staring

1 hour ago, EyesOpen said:

IKEA. Holy gracious. There were at least 6-8 women and kids in long skirts and a couple in almost frumpers (I couldn’t count they all looked the same except if their hair was down and long or in a braid wrapped around like a big bun)... maybe 3 men or older teenagers, not a lot of kids though. Every time I turned around I saw them. My guess is ikea has a lot of great storage and is pretty inexpensive. Very strange!

And my first experience like this and now I think I wouldn’t be able to go see a family on purpose in person cause I already almost couldn’t stop staring

I see Orthodox  Jews in the IKEA I go to because it’s located close to a large orthodox community.  They generally have a lot of kids. 

• Coconut Flan locked and unpinned this topic

Archived