Coconut Flan

Continued on from here:

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had English in school for my first foreign language and I started Latin as my second in 7th grade (not sure how to compare the grades with the American System...). I never regreted to choose Latin as my second language, although it is a "dead" language. I found it very useful during my education/apprenticeship/on-the-job-Training (sorry, leo was very disappointing here, and I feel a little embarrassed to ask leo for a certain word after telling you, that English is my second language...god...). I started to learn French 7 (!) years ago and Latin helped me a lot. Although I have to admit, that I should be better after 7 years of learning French. In Germany we have "adult education centers" (leo again, sorry) and thats's where I started to learn it at the age of 23. I wanted to learn French because I wanted to visit a French friend in France and because I  love the language and the country and the wine and the cheese and I could go on and on. And I really hate it to go to ANY country without speaking at least some words. It is some kind of respect, in my opinion (side eye to the Duggars - "Hola/grande" ...). Latin helped a lot while learning French vocabulary, too.

VelociRapture said:

I found something online that explained the tongue placement is similar to the one used when pronouncing a "d" sound in English. So you place the tip of your tongue against the back of your upper teeth and then you keep it there while you say the word. Here's the link:

https://www.google.com/amp/m.wikihow.com/Roll-Your-"R"s%3Famp%3D1

Nope. Doesn't work. I've actually worked with two speech therapists. None of my dad's side of the family can do it. However, I can easily do the gutteral German R, and can glottal-stop like a native Cockney (my Cockney/East End FIL was even impressed - NOT with my accent, but with the glottal stop).

@Scrabblemaster It's not your fault -- we just don't have good equivalents for Ausbildung and Volkshochschule. I try to explain Ausbildung as a kind of institutionalized vocational training that's not just for blue-collar workers, but we really have nothing like it in the US, especially considering you get paid to do it (even if not as much as a regular salary). And Volkshochschule is kind of like what a community college would be if it were just for continuing education and not also for people working towards degrees. (Sorry, I find differences in educational infrastructure really fascinating!)

Did you take 7 years of French at a Volkshochschule? I didn't realize they were that in depth. 

@SapphireSlytherin I cannot for the life of me do a German R, despite years of trying. You must just be #blessed! 

Rolling R's, as I said can't do it. My friends tried to teach me during the time of Rrrrrroll up the Rim at Tim Horton's. Nope, never happened. It's really funny because I do sound like a kid pushing a truck or dog trying to growl. 

@VelociRapture and @SapphireSlytherin you are both right about the alveloar rolling "r". Sometimes it workes with the comparison to the "d" spoken alveolar and sometimes it does not. I worked with a speech therapist who really is a genius, and I learned the rolling alveolar "r" from her, although I can not speak it in words.

Sometimes I speak a rolling alveolar "r" while I speak a word which starts with "d". Without Intention to do so.

@lumpentheologieYes, seven years of learning French at a  adult aducation Center... and still counting on... :my_biggrin:

I love the YouTube videos of English speakers trying to say "Eichhörnchen" (squirrel) or other hard words. I think I manage pretty good with the "th" in English. That is often a huge problem for Germans. 

My German friends (almost) all have problems with the English "th" and the letter J, the way we pronounce it.

When I went to school we started learning English in year 4 (now they start in year 1). Then most people added a second language in grade 7. I did 9 years of English, 6 years of German, 3 years of Spanish and 2 of Latin. Being married to an Australian I've keept the English going but since I havn't used the German and the Spanish I've forgotten pretty much everything I learned. Think I could pick the German up though if I really tried or had to live in Germany for a while. The Spanish is much harder.

I had a horrible Spanish teacher in my second year. I still think my biggest achivement in school was when I managed to make her suggest I switch to the other (not insane) teachers class. She totally thought it was her idea.

We're raising Miniway bilingual. I speak Swedish and Mr Way speak English. We watch lots of English cartoons and have many books in both English and Swedish. He is very verbal and seems to be a little ahead really. He is 3,5 and still mixes the languages up quite a lot but since we both understand both it doesn't bother us much. His kindy teachers were having some trouble understanding his English though and said he always listened better if they told him things in English. :)

I'm always a little jealous about how I'm not bilingual. My parents spoke english as well as another language which they did try to teach us with english but my brother was having delayed speech (processing overwhelmed him and he couldn't respond in either language) so they had to end it until his speech was on par with kids our age (it was the only thing I beat him in milestones!). As we gotten older they speak it more, but while I can only speak a few words, I can understand it like 75% of the time.

On 7/7/2017 at 1:54 PM, Carm_88 said:

Rolling R's, as I said can't do it. My friends tried to teach me during the time of Rrrrrroll up the Rim at Tim Horton's. Nope, never happened. It's really funny because I do sound like a kid pushing a truck or dog trying to growl. 

I cannot roll my R's for the life of me. My husband is a Polish and he grew up always rolling his R's when he says pierogi and he thinks it's strange that I can't/don't. 

I am Norwegian and mr. Shiverful is Icelandic. We both live in Norway and he is a fluent speaker, even though it is his third language (English being his second).

I am trying to learn Icelandic, but it is surprisingly hard. Both Icelandic and Norwegian have common roots, but the grammar is very different. Would be cute to teach our kid Icelandic (if/when we get one), but I don't think it will be easy as I don't speak or understand it.

On 7/7/2017 at 2:46 PM, SapphireSlytherin said:

My German friends (almost) all have problems with the English "th" and the letter J, the way we pronounce it.

My real name has a "th" in it.My aunt from Germany,who came here almost 57 years ago,to help my mother with me and my two older brothers,still cannot pronounce my name right. The "th" has "sss" sound.She still has her German accent,too.She told me she took English in school,but hated it,and did not learn it,like my mother did.My aunt said she could not drive,speak English or boil water,until she came to the US.I still love her,and I am not offended that she can't say my name.

The last two episodes of the season are called "After the Show Part One" and "After the Show Part Two". My guide doesn't have any other information. Will it be a reunion show? An update on the family? Will there be announcements?

Grew up south of Detroit and no one spoke a second language in my neck of the woods. A majority of foreign language exposure came from having some street names in French. Although my high school had foreign languages but they weren't offered until 10th grade in my high school and they were barely oppunity unless you planned your schedule around it. Our options were French, Japanese, & Spanish. French was offered one trimester every other year. Japanese was an after school class in a Skype set up. Spanish was a joke and most that was learned was 'nice hair' and Tigers opening date was.

I did 2 years of Japanese & Spanish. And I really wished I actually learned something from those classes. The Japanese I know comes from spending time in Japan. I most disappointed though that I learned nothing from Spanish my FIL is Cuban and MIL speeds fluent Spanish and I just moved to Texas so I could have actually be able to put it to use.

My guide says in the Aftershow Part 1 description that Muffy is preparing to go to Danger America, and Jessa is preparing for the birth of her FIRST child. Obviously a placeholder. Sounds like two weeks of useless clipshows maybe going even further back into Benjamin Button land. 

MORE placeholders? Flashbacks of flashbacks of flashbacks with flashbacks in them. Oh joy!

Does this mean we have to wait to next season to see Samuelito's birth?

They might sneak it into Part 2 (season finale). They certainly need the material, and Jill's birth might have been what they were holding the place for; I'm sureTLC hoped that she'd deliver in time to edit a birth episode this season. Next season, we have to deal with JoKen's relationship. They don't have anything else going on since Anna's birth will be an afterthought. 

On 7/7/2017 at 9:46 PM, SapphireSlytherin said:

This is why I don't have a child named Thaddeus. 50% of my family couldn't pronounce it. 

Mots not just native German speakers that have trouble with it. "Th" as pronounced in English isn't a sound that exists in many languages so non-native speakers tend to have issues with it--and also some native speakers. 

7 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

MORE placeholders? Flashbacks of flashbacks of flashbacks with flashbacks in them. Oh joy!

It's turtles all the way down!

They really are making this show all about courtship/engagement/marriage/babies, add in a touch of moving and you have it. It would be seriously more interesting if they did show us a bit of day to day stuff. Because it's groundhog day right now and I am just waiting for the next courtship announcement. 

Do we reckon they'll show Jill's birth in tomorrow's episode?  It would be a tight turnaround, but very much do-able....  Although that would imply their priority was showing us things in a timely fashion, and in real life, by the time they get around to it, Samuel will be walking....

I fear the turnaround would be too tight especially since it was over the weekend.  I doubt they want to pay more overtime for a Sunday edit.  We might get a one minute blip of an announcement.

5 hours ago, Lurky said:

Do we reckon they'll show Jill's birth in tomorrow's episode?  It would be a tight turnaround, but very much do-able....  Although that would imply their priority was showing us things in a timely fashion, and in real life, by the time they get around to it, Samuel will be walking....

I don't know, but it seems as if births are not given the same TLC treatment as weddings anymore. The only birth that they showed right after it happened were Israel's, and this was before Josh's scandal while the show was still named 19 kids... 

I think that Israel's birth was "special" for TLC because it was the first time that a Duggar daughter gave birth. The timing was good because it was 7 months after the last special - Jessa and Ben's wedding.

Now, they've just had a special with Joy and Austin's wedding, and possibly another coming up this fall. 

Furthermore, the cross-showing of old and new material might be confusing for viewers that follow the show times.

41 minutes ago, shiverful said:

Furthermore, the cross-showing of old and new material might be confusing for viewers that follow the show times.

Got to admit, that made me laugh out loud, because the timings seem especially weird this season :my_angel:

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived