IGNORED

Hobby Lobby's July 4 ad is all sorts of wrong

47of74

Hobby Lobby’s Independence Day Ad Is A Real Mess

Spoiler

On July 4, many newspapers across the country ran a full-page ad placed by the Hobby Lobby corporation. Headlined “God Bless America,” the ad’s purpose is to imply that Christianity once had a prominent place in American law and government but was forced out by the mean old courts.

As I read the ad, I could immediately tell that it was heavily influenced by David Barton, the Religious Right’s favorite pseudo-historian. Many of Barton’s errors, distortions and omissions appear in the ad.

It would take a small book to dissect the entire ad. As I noted in an Independence Day post, the “Christian nation” thesis collapses because our Constitution nowhere says that the country is officially Christian. Instead, its First Amendment protects the free exercise of all faiths and bars government from establishing any.

Like the author of the article says maybe Hobby Lobby should stick to selling cheap crap and not trying to out Jeeeezus Jesus.  Oh and not smuggling stuff either.

i posted on another Hobby Lobby thread that i guiltily buy their wrapping paper (yes, i need to stop.....).  i was in there a couple weeks ago for another fix (and feeling dirty about it) when i saw that they have autumn decor out, and were setting up the Christmas stuff.  that gave me even more incentive to find gift wrap someplace else.   

28 minutes ago, catlady said:

i posted on another Hobby Lobby thread that i guiltily buy their wrapping paper (yes, i need to stop.....).  i was in there a couple weeks ago for another fix (and feeling dirty about it) when i saw that they have autumn decor out, and were setting up the Christmas stuff.  that gave me even more incentive to find gift wrap someplace else.   

I've used Costco the past couple years for gift wrap.  Their stuff seems to be pretty good quality.

I also like Cost Plus World Market.  And they're open on Sunday mornings after church. 

thanks!  my nearest Costco is about an hour away, but it's in a region where i have family.  i'll have to check them out soon.

Cost Plus is three hours away, but i went to one on vacation a few years back and absolutely loved it.  

36 minutes ago, catlady said:

thanks!  my nearest Costco is about an hour away, but it's in a region where i have family.  i'll have to check them out soon.

Cost Plus is three hours away, but i went to one on vacation a few years back and absolutely loved it.  

Yeah every once in a while I send messages to World Market saying please please please open up a World Market where I live, and that we even have a nice, empty K-Mart building now.  On that note, I think it's time for another tweet to them.  Right now the nearest World Market is in Madison, about 90 miles away from me.   They have a couple stores in the St. Louis area so when I go to visit my sister, brother-in-law, and the furballs I try to make a stop there.

The nearest Costco stores are about 90 miles away from me - Madison and Coralville.  There's supposed to be one coming along in Davenport soon.   One really nice thing about the Coralville Costco is that it's a converted warehouse - they put the store on one side and turned the rest into a giant indoor parking lot.  That is so nice in the winter or when the weather is bad.  I do try to visit Costco every so often.  The membership might be $60 a year but even though I only visit them a handful of times a year it pays for itself.  When I visit my sister I usually make it a point to go to Costco.

I have both near me, a 15 to 45 minute drive depending on the day and time of day, lol. Costco is great for coffee, Fage fat-free yogurt in large tubs, and OTC pharmaceuticals at good prices. And don't get me started on that large jar of mixed nuts.

As for Hobby Lobby, I solemnly swear that I will never again enter one because, ya know, supporting terrorism! 

Michaels, Joanne ' s and the Craft Warehouse are all closer than any Hobby Lobby is. There was a Chick Fila let which opened near me about 2 years ago. Frankly if I'm wanting fast food I'll support Burgerville.

21 minutes ago, GrumpyGran said:

I have both near me, a 15 to 45 minute drive depending on the day and time of day, lol. Costco is great for coffee, Fage fat-free yogurt in large tubs, and OTC pharmaceuticals at good prices. And don't get me started on that large jar of mixed nuts.

As for Hobby Lobby, I solemnly swear that I will never again enter one because, ya know, supporting terrorism! 

My dad loves the peanut butter pretzel bites that Costco has for sale.  Just about every time I go to Costco I usually stop and get a container so that he has plenty at home.

9 minutes ago, infooverload said:

Michaels, Joanne ' s and the Craft Warehouse are all closer than any Hobby Lobby is. There was a Chick Fila let which opened near me about 2 years ago. Frankly if I'm wanting fast food I'll support Burgerville.

We had a Chick-Fil-A open up earlier this year.  Which I will not visit.  It wouldn't surprise me to learn that they're also doing something they shouldn't cause Jeeeeeeeeezus.

Ugh. I'm not crafty enough (at all actually - I had a 3 year old diss my drawing of a tiger, so...) to ever need to shop at Hobby Lobby, but Chik-Fil-A is starting to make inroads here in NY. I'll pass, thanks. A friend was raving about their salads. Salads? Seriously? First of all, if I eat fast food, it's going to be obviously unhealthy, otherwise what's the point. I'm not hiding my fast food addiction under some lettuce. :pb_razz: Second, I prefer my salads to be served without a heaping side of sanctimony.

10 minutes ago, AnywhereButHere said:

Chik-Fil-A is starting to make inroads here in NY. I'll pass, thanks. A friend was raving about their salads. Salads? Seriously? First of all, if I eat fast food, it's going to be obviously unhealthy, otherwise what's the point. I'm not hiding my fast food addiction under some lettuce. :pb_razz: Second, I prefer my salads to be served without a heaping side of sanctimony.

There's been a Chick-fil-A near me for a year or two, and I've never been there. I don't like what they stand for, and my big eat out time is Sunday after church, when they are closed. (I'm also mainly in their area on Sundays.)

As for the salads, Wendy's has had some delicious salads over the years. I miss their Mandarin chicken salad, but they're apple pecan salad is yummy, too. Sweetie is on a very strict diet, and Wendy's is the fast food restaurant he can eat at.

@Audrey2

I used to love Wendy's! When I was a kid we'd know if our dad woke us up and said we are going out to breakfast, that it was a no church day, so yay! If we did go to church though, we'd get to stop at Wendy's on our way home. Baked potato bar, frostys, burgers, fries (and salads :pb_smile:). Mmmmm, childhood. I haven't been in a while. I need to go order a Frosty and see if they're still the same as I remember.  

2 hours ago, AnywhereButHere said:

@Audrey2

I used to love Wendy's! When I was a kid we'd know if our dad woke us up and said we are going out to breakfast, that it was a no church day, so yay! If we did go to church though, we'd get to stop at Wendy's on our way home. Baked potato bar, frostys, burgers, fries (and salads :pb_smile:). Mmmmm, childhood. I haven't been in a while. I need to go order a Frosty and see if they're still the same as I remember.  

Bacon Cheddar baked potato, my go-to if I've had one glass of wine too many the night before. And, yes, the Frostys(Frosties?) are still good! Helps that the Wendy's is just a mile away.

I can also confirm that the Frosties are just as good as you remember. The closest Wendy's to me is about a block away. I also love their chicken sandwiches as well there.

On 7/7/2017 at 8:57 AM, catlady said:

I guiltily go their for their yarn because they are the only place in my area where I can get decent yarn for an affordable price. 

Archived