IGNORED

JinJer 27?: Wearing Black Pants in the Heat of Laredo

Coconut Flan

@Greendoor, I see that @December already gave told you that physical sunscreens contain titanium dioxide and zinc oxides.  Several companies make physical sunscreens besides Neutrogena which makes several formulas.  Badger makes physical sunscreen as does Anthelios.  Clinique City Block makes one fomula that is totally physical sunscreen and one that has some chemical sunscreen.  These are nice for facial use as is Athelios SPF 50 which you have to shake before using.  The Anthelios is pricey though.  I read a couple of years ago that since physical sunscreens reflect the sun, you might be cooler with physical  sunscreen.

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Greendoor said:

I wear pants rather than shorts as it saves me the sunscreen which I react badly to.

How hot does it get in Texas on average in summer?

Depends on where you're at... I'm in San Antonio, and it regularly gets between 105-107 here... I grew up in Houston, and it was similar... Sometimes it gets hotter, sometimes we get "cold fronts" that come through... My senior year in high school, we hit 110+ they banned football practice (usually its morning and evening, when it's cooler), and that's a huge deal in Texas- schools would get in major trouble if they were found to be making the player practice. Then we had a "cold front" come through that brought us down to the mid nineties, and everyone rejoiced, lol

It gets hotter farther down south in the Valley, and cooler the farther north you get

I get what looks like a chemical burn from most chemical sunscreens. When just putting sunscreen on makes you look like you've been floating in the ocean for a week it is never good! Good luck!! There is only one brand's baby line that I can use and even within that line I can't use the spray on stuff. Otherwise I stick with a barrier sunscreen that is pretty much just zinc oxide. I look like a total dork but whatever. Luckily I'm not sensitive to the sun and usually try to use uv clothing/hats when needed, but otherwise it is usually the zinc.

I was basically convinced that if I so much as touched the door or handle to the closets that held my grandparents gun safes (bullets in different safes), through some freak accident a gun would have a bullet in it that someone overlooked, the gun would fall over at a funny angle (inside the safe), somehow fire itself, the bullet would make it through the safe (and closet door that I'd only touched, not opened), the bullet would hit one of my loved ones and kill them. As adults my siblings have also shared they had the same fear. And I wasn't one of those kids that did everything they are told. I was the kid that ALWAYS had to learn the lesson for myself. Always. Unless it came to the possibility of accidentally killing someone like my little brother or sister. Guns, driving the car with them in it... NO CHANCES! 

One time during a tornado warning there were enough people at grandma's that we needed to use two interior closets. I ended up in the group in the closet with the gun safe and was way more frightened by that safe than the tornado. Of course that could just be my inner Okie/Texan shining through. ;) 

I'm terrified of gun violence, and have never handled one. I'm also a firm believer in gun control. Still, I could see trying a shooting range just to see what it's like to shoot in a safe controlled setting. That being said I respect Jinger's marksmanship, from what I understand, it's not easy.

Jinger looks really happy, super cute in her pants, and is showing no evidence of pregnancy. Based on what I've seen of her, she seems to be enjoying her child free adult life, and spending time with her husband. Go Jinger!

I am not going to step foot in the gun conversation.

But as for sunscreens....I found this site to be helpful - https://www.ewg.org/sunscreen/

This is what I've been using this year and last. https://www.ewg.org/sunscreen/about-the-sunscreens/730930/ThinkSport_Sunscreen%2C_SPF_50%2B/  

Ingredients = Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide (Non-nano) 20%, Inactive Ingredients: PURIFIED WATER, ALOE BARBADENSIS LEAF JUICE, CAPRIC CAPRYLIC TRIGLYCERIDES, SORBITAN STEARATE (COCONUT BASED), PINE WOOD RESIN, VEGETABLE GLYCERIN, CETYL DIMETHICONE, HYDROGENATED CASTOR OIL, MAGNESIUM SULFATE (EPSOM SALT), SUNFLOWER OIL, JOJOBA OIL, ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), TOCOPHEROLS (VITAMIN E), OLIVE OIL, RASPBERRY SEED OIL, CRANBERRY SEED OIL, HYALURONIC ACID (MADE FROM VEGETABLE), GLUCOSE & GLUCOSE OXIDASE AND LACTOPEROXIDASE, CURRANT GRAPEFRUIT

I get it on amazon. Some of the reviews were iffy but I like it. You definitely have to make sure you get it on thick enough though. My neck got a little burnt on vacation because my ponytail ended up rubbing too much of it off. We slathered my 3 year old in it and he didn't burn at all. We just made sure to reapply every couple hours. We are very pale people who burn easily and I've been pretty happy with it so far.

I grew up in a household where hunting for food was okay but turning the other cheek was how humans were to be dealt with. (We were conscientious objectors.) Guns were always considered dangerous. I am no longer Christian and I live in an area of town where there have been drive by shootings across the street. As a mother, there is no way I'd be able to stand by and watch my child be hurt. We own a gun. It's kept in a locked box with a code required to open it. It is registered and legal. I hope to never have to use it but I feel safer knowing it's there. I was against personally owning a gun until the second drive by. Hearing the gunshots and dealing with the police for questioning made me change my mind.

I'm glad that Jinjer practice at a range and seem to take safety precautions. 

Most of the shootings that happen in my area are by people who aren't supposed to have a gun in the first place. (Felons.) There was an accidental gun fatality recently that involved the young child of a police officer and the gun he carried every day. Very sad. 

I have to agree with pp's that the gun laws need better enforcement. And perhaps stricter rules for owning a gun. It was scarily easy to get a gun here in Kansas.

8 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

But I guess I should turn in my Bleeding Heart Liberal card because I think it's fun to fire a handgun at a target sometimes.

Most liberals aren't anti gun, you know that, we just want it to be easier for a black guy in Alabama to vote than it is for anyone to get a gun. I could walk across the street a buy a gun tomorrow if I wanted it.  The gun distributor is a total NRA right wing bible thumping Trump lover who doesn't care who has a gun as long as he has one. 

I won't wade into the topic of guns (they terrify me), other than to say that's not the first thing I would have thought was noteworthy about this picture. Surely it's the fact she chose to put out a pic of herself wearing tight pants, from an angle that makes it clear there is NO BABY BUMP. She must be sick and tired of the speculation, and I don't blame her.

She looks good and like she is enjoying life and I really hope she is - showing a good example to her siblings.

Stepping in very briefly to say this:

I'm on the same side as responsible firearm ownership. I don't like guns and I sure as hell don't want them anywhere in my house. But if someone feels differently and is able to responsibly store and handle a firearm so be it. 

I think we can all agree though that someone like Adam Lanza - who was the shooter at Sandy Hook - should have NEVER had any access to firearms at all. There is a massive difference between what many liberals are actually saying - which is basically a case for responsible ownership with tough laws that are enforced  properly - versus what many people think the liberals are saying - which pretty much boils down to "they're taking my guns!"*

As for the NRA, they need to stay away from my kid. I don't care if they have educational programs - their response to many mass shootings has been lacking, but their response to Sandy Hook was truly sickening to me and really makes me question their priorities. I grew up very near Newtown, I still live in the area, and I know people who had loved ones murdered there. There are no words to express my disgust that their answer to the murders of twenty six year olds and six adults was to say, "arm every teacher everywhere!" **

*I purposely said "many liberals" because there are liberals who take their opposition to firearms much further and I just don't think their views are really realistic for a country like the US. There is common ground to be found if the radicals on both sides would simply allow it.

**By NRA, I am referring to the Administration running the organization and those members who believe every word they say is fact. Not the average gun owner who may be a member. Many reasonable NRA members seemed pretty upset about the response as well. Just want to be clear about who I meant.

(Personally, I plan to follow the recommendation of my daughter's Pediatrician by asking any parent looking to have my young child in their house for play dates whether they own a firearm and, if so, whether they keep it stored properly. If the answers are yes and no, then my kid won't be playing there. They're welcome to have their friend at our house or to meet at a park or something. But she will not be allowed to their home as long as that firearm remains stored improperly. I'm sorry if some people will be upset or uncomfortable about being asked that, but her safety is my first and only concern.)

And that wasn't so brief after all. I'm done now though. Stepping off the soapbox and hoping I didn't offend anyone. :) 

2 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I think we can all agree though that someone like Adam Lanza - who was the shooter at Sandy Hook - should have NEVER had any access to firearms at all. 

As for the NRA, they need to stay away from my kid. I don't care if they have educational programs - their response to many mass shootings has been lacking, but their response to Sandy Hook was truly sickening to me and really makes me question their priorities. I grew up very near Newtown, I still live in the area, and I know people who had loved ones murdered there. There are no words to express my disgust that their answer to the murders of twenty six year olds and six adults was to say, "arm every teacher everywhere!" **

This. Well said. As someone who also lives close to Newtown and knows too many people who are still affected by it, I know I cannot express my thoughts about gun control rationally so thank you for putting this so well. 

On 7/6/2017 at 7:20 PM, LadyPriss said:

I used to go to the Dubai Mall frequently when I was in that neck of the woods, and often wished they rented parkas as the entrance.  I always felt freezing there.  I could easily go outside and warm up...but still.  Brrr

And then need a potholder to get in your car or touch the steering wheel! (I lived in Abu Dhabi for 5+ years) 

not to change the subject, but I just want to say that I love how happy she looks in this one. 

Jinger is a braver woman than I am, I would never let anyone carry me up a stairwell! But she does look so happy. I love it!

I wonder if it was an old one from Joy's wedding? The dress kind of looks navy to me but it was also edited.

20 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

I wonder if it was an old one from Joy's wedding? The dress kind of looks navy to me but it was also edited.

I think it's definitely from Joy's wedding. Same hair, dress, and earrings. Jeremy's wearing the same tie.

15 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I grew up in the South, and was pregnant through a Louisiana summer. I have never - and I mean never been as hot as I was in Savannah, Georgia, in June. That was horrendous. San Antonio was fine in July.

My first son was born in November.I was pregnant through a SC summer.I was miserable.I vowed to never have another child in November.And I got my wish.The two other boys were born the end of April and the middle of May.

"Do you really think the question "would you leave it up to God to plan how many kids you will have?" was not in Jim Bob's questionnaire for Jeremy? What will he say, "Babe, I lied because I love you too much"?

In a few months, when Jinger gets pregnant, they will open up about 'their struggle to conceive'. They are not waiting or using birth control."

The above quote was actually put into the last Dillard thread. But I wanted to discuss it here. Here's my take on it. I think Jeremy and Jinger are actually doing what they said they would do which is not worrying about it and simply letting God make a decision. Duggars have not done that in the past. They look at their cycle and specifically try to get pregnant instead of just letting be what will be. That is taking control away from God imo and just as "sinful" as prevention.

So when it comes down to it, Jeremy and Jinger are the only couple possibly showing their faith by staying out of it.

5 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

snip  snip

... their opposition to firearms much further and I just don't think their views are really realistic for a country like the US. 

snip  snip 

I think this sums everything up.   

I too hope not to offend anyone by saying so. 

31 minutes ago, sj3339sta said:

"Do you really think the question "would you leave it up to God to plan how many kids you will have?" was not in Jim Bob's questionnaire for Jeremy? What will he say, "Babe, I lied because I love you too much"?

snip

I think only Josh and Anna, and Jill and Derek said this in vows.  

I wonder if that means one of each of the other couples is not on the same train.  Ben, Jeremy and Austin come from considerably fewer siblings.

6 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

**By NRA, I am referring to the Administration running the organization and those members who believe every word they say is fact. Not the average gun owner who may be a member. Many reasonable NRA members seemed pretty upset about the response as well. Just want to be clear about who I meant.

Th NRA is disgusting and only represents the gun lobby not gun rights. They want anyone to have a gun because it means more profits for them plain and simple. I know many gun owners who are anti NRA because the NRA no longer represents the responsible gun owner.  We've come a long way from people having/needing guns to survive, as you did back in the 18th to early 20th centuries.  You needed them for food, you needed them for lack of police or other judicial assistance in most rural areas. I grew up in a small town on the boarder of the south essentially you go 25 minutes south of me and you are 50 miles from a city and that city is Des Moines.  I think like with everything in life moderation is best.  I don't have a problem with guns per se, i have a problem with the mass consumption of them. 

re: guns - as an Australian, it just completely baffles me as to why Americans love their guns so much. Part of the reason our gun laws were implemented so quickly after the Port Arthur massacre was - I think - that no one cared as much. it's not engrained in our culture. I've been to the US twice and felt much safer in homes without guns, but i do have american friends who are lawful owners and if they're following the rules, then that's fine. Most people in the US seem to think that no Aussies own guns, which is false. Our laws are stricter and enforced more often, waiting periods are longer, etc. but some people still have guns. No one takes photos and posts them on social media to celebrate Australia Day, though. US citizens may have the right to bear arms but there are many other (better) qualities Americans could be just as patriotic. 

re: Jinjer in that stairwell pic - I love how happy she looks, too. It's been refreshing to see their updates and not feel massive concern for her like we often do Jill. Their views may still be toxic and jeremy may be a little arrogant and airheaded sometimes but i haven't seen any red flags re: trouble adjusting to her new life and it's been a minor relief.

Regarding guns: I come from Norway where the gun density is pretty high, but only due to hunting.

People here have rifles, not pistols and the idea of getting a gun for the sake of personal protection is rediculous. Not only because of the crime rare here being much lower than in the US, but also because that owning a gun in itself isn't much of a protection. If someone really wants to hurt you and catches you off-guard, you won't have time to get your gun out of whatever security case you have it in. 

That being said I don't think that going to a shooting range is a political statement. It can be done for fun or learning. Posting pictures on social media while posing with huge guns is a different thing, though. But the Duggars aren't always thinking about what they are posting to their many followers. 

On a different note: Jinger looked good and very happy! 

I get conflicts over the gun issue.  I was raised for the first 14 years of my life in a very small town, and most everyone I knew  had dads that had rifles for hunting and some with a few hand guns.  The big crazy automatic weapons etc were really not a thing back then, so it was mostly just rifles, and some hand guns. 

For years, my mom had a "Lady's pistol" just sitting on her bedside table.  I remember seeing a rifle propped up on the corner of a den or garage and no one thought too much about that.  And kids were told "don't play with the guns" and We pretty much listened.  We were also allowed, with adult supervision, to shoot guns for fun, like shooting a can off of a fence post.  And as we got older we usually got offered to go hunting if we wanted to.  I went once and it was cold and wet, and I had to pee outside, so it quickly lost its appeal for me. 

Guns were kind of just part of our lives.  Not front and center, not even very important or all that interesting.  It was just one of many 'tools' that people had to carry on their lives.  Similar to having a chain saw, or a power drill. 

Were there kids who played with a chainsaw when they weren't supposed to?  Probably and were there kids that played with the gun when they weren't supposed to?  Probably, but honestly,  you just never heard about shootings much back then.  Guns were mostly viewed as useful for hunting and sometimes as a form of entertainment when shooting cans, or skeet. 

I can't explain why things have changed now.  Why is it that so many seem damn near obsessed with guns.  Does the violent video game culture have something to do with this?  Or other media? 

I realize the big weaponlike guns were not common when I was kid for the average person, and their introduction into common gun ownership has definitely changed the baseline.  But I still wonder how we went from a society that might have had a rifle in most rural homes, with a box or two of shells, to now having an Arsenal of weaponry. 

on it's own, I see no issue with a shooting range, but I do wonder why we must have human shaped targets?  Why not just have a bullseye, or a few other shapes to shoot at?  Why not shoot skeet?  Or like I did,  Shoot cans off of a fence post.  That takes some real skill to do consistently. 

As an adult, I have an aversion to guns, don't own one and can't imagine that I ever would.

9 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I'm on the same side as responsible firearm ownership. I don't like guns and I sure as hell don't want them anywhere in my house. But if someone feels differently and is able to responsibly store and handle a firearm so be it. 

I think we can all agree though that someone like Adam Lanza - who was the shooter at Sandy Hook - should have NEVER had any access to firearms at all. There is a massive difference between what many liberals are actually saying - which is basically a case for responsible ownership with tough laws that are enforced  properly - versus what many people think the liberals are saying - which pretty much boils down to "they're taking my guns!"*

I agree with much of what you've said here, though I'm not sure how much gun control laws would have helped since Lanza was an adult at the time and used a gun belonging to his mother. And while this is a more extreme example in terms of both the amount of firepower his mother owned as well as how obviously impaired he was prior to the shooting, there have been many other cases involving (mostly high-school aged) mass shooters who took their parents' guns and killed their classmates who showed very few warning signs in the period leading up to the event. I guess it's easy to Monday Morning Quarterback someone else's parenting from the outside, but we all have our blind spots, especially where children are concerned, and even mental health professionals can't reliably predict who will or won't commit a violent act. It's not reasonable to expect the Nancy Lanzas, the Harrises, or the Klebolds, of the world to be able to make those judgment calls. 

This goes right to the point that I was trying to make last night: no gun owner believes that he or she is irresponsible. If they did, they probably wouldn't own them. Instead, they declare themselves responsible, implement whatever precautions they feel are reasonable, and when tragedy strikes someone else, they conclude that the other person was just irresponsible and that would never happen to them (because Just World Fallacy). So, they're willing to accept the deaths of other people and their children because they believe it won't happen to them, and feel that this is an acceptable cost of a very broad interpretation of the Second Amendment. And I'm not going to pretend to be okay with that attitude because it plays a major role in fueling this issue. 

It's all very :bangheaddesk: to me at this point. Especially since gun control legislation probably wouldn't prevent tragedies like school shootings or young children accidentally hurting each other. 

3 hours ago, sj3339sta said:

In a few months, when Jinger gets pregnant, they will open up about 'their struggle to conceive'. They are not waiting or using birth control."

I think that there are a lot of ways that Jeremy could have answered that question to Jim Bob's satisfaction while having no intention of being Quiverfull. These people are known for their continual use of weasel words and lies by omission, so I don't think it's a stretch that Jeremy--or Jinger, for the matter--may not have been entirely forthcoming with Jim Bob about their childbearing plans. 

That said, I don't think we'll know for sure unless either one of them admits it or Jeremy decides to throw down a gauntlet by preaching about birth control being okay the way he did with drinking alcohol and women wearing pants. I would find that hilarious, but I don't see it happening until money from the show dries up. 

@JesusCampSongsI just want to clarify - I did not mean to imply I'm passing judgement on Nancy at all. She made decisions I don't agree with and, ultimately, it cost her her life. That's a horrible enough price to pay. 

I honestly don't know what the answer is. I think it's a massively complex issue and no single answer is going to solve it. I do think that enforcing common sense laws (like strict background checks and closing loopholes in certain types of sales) and working to increase access to mental health services would be a decent start though. Sadly, if the GOP passes their healthcare travesty it's going to make it tougher for people to access mental health services. 

4 hours ago, sj3339sta said:

The above quote was actually put into the last Dillard thread. But I wanted to discuss it here. Here's my take on it. I think Jeremy and Jinger are actually doing what they said they would do which is not worrying about it and simply letting God make a decision. Duggars have not done that in the past. They look at their cycle and specifically try to get pregnant instead of just letting be what will be. That is taking control away from God imo and just as "sinful" as prevention.

So when it comes down to it, Jeremy and Jinger are the only couple possibly showing their faith by staying out of it.

I've considered this recently and I do think it's possible. I wondered if that might have been the case with the Keilens as well, but Michael's latest blog post made it pretty clear that they're facing legitimate fertility issues. 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived