IGNORED

JinJer 27?: Wearing Black Pants in the Heat of Laredo

Coconut Flan

The town I live in was mostly a tiny farming community twenty years ago. Many families in the area grew up here and seem to have for several generations. I have heard people reminiscing about hunting early in the morning on the way to school and keeping their rifles in thier lockers, lots of people did it and never thought twice about it. It's unthinkable now.

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NRA just put out the most appalling, violence-inciting ad I could imagine.  They have no business being in schools.

I swear by the Anthelios. I use their facial sunscreen, and I haven't been a lobster since I started using it. No irritation or breakout either.

The NRA just put out the most appalling, violence-inciting ad I could imagine.  They have no business being in schools.

Pretty much this.

I want NO organisation that thinks this is ok anywhere near my (hypothetical) child.

Oof. Jinger and her crazy eyes should not be photographed with a gun. 

On 7/8/2017 at 7:29 PM, Bugaboo said:

Didn't she go turkey hunting with Boob once?

Yes, and Boob tried to assert his dominance over his sons and looked visibly annoyed when Josiah was able to shoot a turkey and he wasn't. :pb_lol: 

3 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

The town I live in was mostly a tiny farming community twenty years ago. Many families in the area grew up here and seem to have for several generations. I have heard people reminiscing about hunting early in the morning on the way to school and keeping their rifles in thier lockers, lots of people did it and never thought twice about it. It's unthinkable now.

I grew up in a town where the guys would come into school late during deer season. Their rifles were left in their gun racks in their trucks, parked in the high school parking lot. Probably not even locked. Nobody went stupid then - it's a new thing. I blame aliens/fluoride in the tap water/GMO food. lol

That NRA ad - I have no words.:jawdrop:

On 7/8/2017 at 9:11 PM, KelseyAnn said:

Bad gun owners shouldn't reflect on the rest of us. Just like those who abuse their rights to free speech shouldn't mean that it get's taken away from the rest of us.  

YES! My husband grew up around guns and is a big proponent of gun safety. Guns are always unloaded put on safety and stored in a gun safe, the key to said safe is always in a seperate room, absolutely no drinking within 24 hours of getting the guns out, etc. I mean somethings he does are above and beyond for safety . It's a hobby for him and he is a great shot but there are people who should not own guns... like his step dad who disabled the safety on his because "it was annoying". With all that said I don't know much about guns, I go to the range sometimes under much instruction haha. It is fun, but definitely nothing to take lightly. 

The NRA ad is so gross. I shouldn't be surprised that they continue to go so low. 

I'm glad I have not seen the above NRA video. I work in a school and thankfully have not been exposed to any of their propaganda there, either. I hope to keep it that way.

Just catching up and apparently I don't know how to dress in heat,need to turn in my Christian card,and need to turn in my bleeding heart liberal card too. I could happily go to a gun range, in the heat, in pants, and shoot as long as they would let me. However fuck he NRA and their latest BS (as well as all of their previous BS too) 

I'm in tears laughing at the IG comments about Jinger's pants though. A couple of offended religious people keep showing up to argue and this comment was unintentional comedy gold. It's from the photo of her with gun.

"Because men aren't the example of the church. When a man walks into Wal-Mart with his brother etc, no one would pay attention or even think they were Christian. The minute a woman who is sanctified and set a part from the way women in the world look, all of a sudden people are questioning who is she, what is she. I've seen first hand the difference. My sister was with her friend and the guys kept whistling and cat calling her friend but when they saw my sister who ha a long skirt and modest apparel they stopped and stared and asked turned extremely polite and we're like excuse me miss we are sorry. We have to put a difference. We are supposed to be peculiar."

14 minutes ago, Letizia said:

"Because men aren't the example of the church. When a man walks into Wal-Mart with his brother etc, no one would pay attention or even think they were Christian. The minute a woman who is sanctified and set a part from the way women in the world look, all of a sudden people are questioning who is she, what is she. I've seen first hand the difference. My sister was with her friend and the guys kept whistling and cat calling her friend but when they saw my sister who ha a long skirt and modest apparel they stopped and stared and asked turned extremely polite and we're like excuse me miss we are sorry. We have to put a difference. We are supposed to be peculiar."

Is you SeRiOuS?

I never paid too much to the NRA until I watched the documentary Bowling for Columbine. I was really young when Columbine happened so I didn't know much beyond the actual crime, but I was appalled at how they handled that whole tragedy. 

I like to shoot...for stress relief. I shoot righty with a left-dominant eye. Drives the range masters nuts! Right now we do not own any firearms, but that could be subject to change soon. HOWEVER...I detest the NRA with every fiber of my being. I'm of the opinion that given that a gun is more dangerous than a car, then someone who wishes to own a firearm should be required to have safety training and use training, a practical exam at the gun range under a certified instructor, a written safety test and be licensed to carry. I'm also in favor of forbidding gun buy/sell anywhere other than a registered dealer, No private sales, no more "gun show" bullshit, background checks, the whole deal...

For the dipshits that are all uptight about "they're going to take my guns"...they do not realize how fucking impossible it would be. Assholes. 

I've only ever shot a rifle once or twice. (Target shooting.) It was fun. It would be fun to go target shooting at a practice range on a regular basis, but I could never be a gun owner.

I've been depressed to the point of being suicidal a few times in my life and having access to a gun would not be in my best interest. Those times I was suicidal, not having access to a quick, effective method gave me a chance to stop and think, or at least pause.

There's a public service campaign here to try to encourage people who are depressed to take any guns out of their homes until things get better. And to encourage friends and loved ones of people who are depressed to secure any guns as well. I don't know if it will help, but since we have high rates of both gun ownership and suicide here, I hope it does some good. 

The NRA is getting everyone to gun-up to protect themselves from all the liberals! lolol... the liberals I know are totally un-armed and not only offenseless but defenseless. I did tell my friends we should gun-up for safety / protection too post-election... gotta get on that.

I know I'm coming to the gun safety thread drift late so apologies if I repeat what's already been said! As a Canadian, I think what puzzles me most is how connected gun use is to freedom in certain parts of the US. A previous poster compared it to driving and that's a great analogy: it should be a right with caveats and not an automatic right. Full enjoyment of the right should  involve certain responsibilities (time for training, getting a license, etc.). Like traffic- if you earn your license you can drive but you still have to obey traffic laws. No one feels that infringes on their right to drive where they want (freedom of movement). We recognize traffic laws are necessary for us to all drive collectively, if we want to avoid chaos. 

It can be 100 degrees, and I'll still be wearing black leather.  Some people are fine in the heat.

I know that jeans don't make Jingy's belief less awful, but it's nice to see her pushing away from the restrictions on how she was raised.  She's so comfortable in pants that I don't think she's being made to wear them for the show of it.  I really think that this is how she's more comfortable, and that's awesome.  I'm also pleased that she hasn't gotten knocked up yet.  Hopefully that's by choice, and that she's starting to question more and more of how she was raised.

@lumpentheologie

:

I definitely had never heard of the 'pay for your plate' rule before FJ.  I suppose if that's definitely the norm in a certain culture/region it should be respected, but I have always figured that the money I spend on a gift is determined by how close I am to the bride/groom and how much money I have.  I'm a grad student and don't have a ton of money, so lately I've spent about $30-40 for colleagues and acquaintances, $70-80 for cousins I'm not particularly close too, and $200 for a couple I was very close friends with but couldn't afford to make it to their wedding on the West Coast when I was living in Germany. 

I've heard that rule before, and HATE IT WITH A PASSION.  It's kept me from going to some weddings.  This is a tradition that I think should be ignored, and I no longer abide it.  Respecting it keeps it alive.  Did you know that just getting an invitation obligates you to send a gift in some regions of the US?  Even if you aren't going to the wedding?  When I was planning my wedding, I left groups that talked about sending invitations to people you know can't come because of the gift obligation!

People shouldn't have to skip weddings because they don't have enough money for a big gift if the meal is expensive.  Gifts should end, in my opinion, and I said that for my own wedding.  We're adults.  We furnish our own homes.  This isn't 1930.  It's rotten to charge entry fees to weddings, and expecting gifts that match meals is an entry fee.

18 minutes ago, PainfullyAware said:

I know I'm coming to the gun safety thread drift late so apologies if I repeat what's already been said! As a Canadian, I think what puzzles me most is how connected gun use is to freedom in certain parts of the US. A previous poster compared it to driving and that's a great analogy: it should be a right with caveats and not an automatic right. Full enjoyment of the right should  involve certain responsibilities (time for training, getting a license, etc.). Like traffic- if you earn your license you can drive but you still have to obey traffic laws. No one feels that infringes on their right to drive where they want (freedom of movement). We recognize traffic laws are necessary for us to all drive collectively, if we want to avoid chaos. 

There's a Facebook page for people who live in and around my town.  It's been sickening to see how many people in an area known as liberal think that literally anybody should be allowed to have guns.  Someone said people who are dangers to themselves or others shouldn't have them, and she was pounced on.  "Who will get to determine who's a threat?" a bunch of people asked.  "Do you really want randos getting your rights taken away?"  Uh, the court system through convictions?  Doctors treating depressed patients?  They aren't randos.

I love shooting guns.  I was raised with them, raised in the NRA back when their mission was advocating gun-safety instead of gunning-up, raised hunting and being safe.  I LOVE GUNS.  But that said, I also love cars, alcohol, and pot, and almost nobody questions rules and regulations and licensing for cars, age limits and rules for alcohol, and age limits for pot.  The second amendment doesn't say guns for all.  It starts off, "A WELL-REGULATED MILITIA."  Not "everybody who wants a gun."

I'd never seen a gun until I visited the US.

Here in Thailand, my ex business partner insisted on keeping a gun in the office - I felt it was more a danger to me than anyone attempting to rob me. I did go with him to the shooting range, and was taught gun safety, did target practice several times (I was crap) and ended up even more scared of them. I suppose for some, familiarity takes away that fear, but it never did for me.

Gonna tip-toe into the gun discussion (don't shoot me...haha.) 

I don't really see the problem with shooting at ranges (or in other safe environments), or with strict gun-control guns and responsible gun owners.

But to the people I see on the thread saying it's good to have protection because of xyz; is it a common belief that possessing a fire arm offers extra protection? Because I've seen several articles and statistics that say possession of fire-arm doesn't increase the likelihood of you being safe in a dangerous situation, especially if you're responsible and your weapon is likely out of reach and unloaded; along with other contributing factors. 

Then again, I'm just another non-American who doesn't understand gun-culture. Guns scare the shit out of me! 

5 hours ago, Letizia said:

That's some SOTDRT prose right there, I tell ya.

But also, I see your girl getting catcalled at Wal-Mart because she was wearing pants and raise you how many leering looks and catcalls I got while traveling in Malaysia in an ankle-length skirt, high-necked top, and light cardigan to go visit religious sites. I'll give you a hint: it was about the same amount (a lot) as the day before when I was wearing shorts (about mid-thigh length) and a light (but modest) shirt. Or the amount of catcalls I get here in New York whether I'm wearing a Duggar-length pencil skirt or workout wear. Modesty is not protection.

1 hour ago, nastyhobbitses said:

That's some SOTDRT prose right there, I tell ya.

But also, I see your girl getting catcalled at Wal-Mart because she was wearing pants and raise you how many leering looks and catcalls I got while traveling in Malaysia in an ankle-length skirt, high-necked top, and light cardigan to go visit religious sites. I'll give you a hint: it was about the same amount (a lot) as the day before when I was wearing shorts (about mid-thigh length) and a light (but modest) shirt. Or the amount of catcalls I get here in New York whether I'm wearing a Duggar-length pencil skirt or workout wear. Modesty is not protection.

Truth! This is also my experience. I actually get catcalled more when dressed modestly for some reason 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived