IGNORED

Joy and Austin: Back in Arkansas?

Coconut Flan

In all honestly, I can't see Israelis tolerating them and their ministry too well. Admittedly, my experience of Israel is limited to Tel Aviv ( what happens in Tel Aviv ... ) and the surrounds, but from what I've seen, they'll get very short shrift from both the hip young things who live for the weekend,  and the religious extreme who I doubt they will ever approach. Holocaust survivors may be the easy targets for them. 

As for camels and deserts? ..... try amazing scenery, vast beaches, supermodel 20 somethings, great food and the best nightlife in the Middle East ;) 

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should anyone of you visit Milan, I recommend visiting Central Station Binario 21(rail line 21) Shoah Memorial. From there departed the trains that brought many Italian Jews to Auschwitz. You won't find it among the other rail lines, it's hidden in the underground of the station. There were other similar rail lines in central Europe's main cities but were all dismantled, binario 21 is the last one remaining and its museum is well worth a visit. The first thing that a visitor sees is the word INDIFFERENCE in enormous capital letters engraved in the wall. Liliana Segre, one of the few survivors still alive wanted it there because only INDIFFERENCE made it all possible.

ETA stations are places of every day life for many commuters and frequent travellers. When I used to go to Milan Central Station I used to think how appropriate the focus on indifference was for such an every day place, indifference is an habit of every day.

@Kangaroo - that must be incredible to see. What terrible things happened there. :(

To that point, I knew a man who was part of the group that liberated Dachau. He was not, by society's standards, a "fine, upstanding citizen." However - he was never anything but nice to me. His stories included tales of "that prison door swings both ways, you know," when he was recounting some of his illegal actions in the USA. He was rumored to have killed at least two people (this is a small, corrupt town, by the way - a lot of crime gets ignored there). He was a fighter. He was vicious to his enemies. He was a BIG guy. I tell you this for a reason:

He would break down in tears - gut-wrenching sobs - if anyone mentioned concentration camps, even in passing conversation. When I told him I'd been to Dachau, he started crying and said:  "Me too." And then he left the restaurant (he owned it) and went home. His daughter told me about his participation in the Dachau liberation. I never mentioned it to him again, but it totally changed my opinion of him - that maybe he was the way he was because of what he saw?

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/dachau-liberated  

I read the itinerary and  all I could think was that the trip was a good way to control how Joy and Austin spent their honeymoon. It appears that everyday, except for one afternoon, is completely packed with tour activities.They get no choice as in where they go or what they do. I would bet the first part of their trip was likely the same way. Can't they just go on a honeymoon and decide when and what to do when they get there? Plus, I don't get the Switzerland part as I am sure neither have given that country a minute's thought prior to going there. I am sure someone else, TLC or Jim Bob, planned where they would go and what they would do.  Jill seems to be the only one who got a honeymoon that wasn't planned as advertisement for the show. Of course, hers was dirt cheap compared to her sisters' honeymoons. 

14 minutes ago, socalrules said:

I am sure someone else, TLC or Jim Bob, planned where they would go and what they would do

I always thought TLC planned Duggar trips based on where the producers and crew wanted to go. Ben looked confused when he was asked where he went on his honeymoon. I suspect it's because he wasn't exactly sure where Paris is located, or the difference between Paris and France, or if Paris is in France, or if it is in Europe, haha. He looked like a deer in headlights. I doubt he could show you on a map where they went. There isn't any possible way he planned that trip on his own. 

On 7/1/2017 at 9:56 PM, Palindrome said:

Those poor heathen donkey-riding, tent-dwelling Jews are just crying out to be "saved" by Joy and Austin! 

I'm actually not sure what part of all of this is the most offensive. But I'm honestly very offended by this organization. 

So I see Joy went on a missioncation with shorts-wearing hussies

I understand that a lot of people's faith includes a missionary component (I've known several Mormons, wonderfully nice people), but something about going to Israel and trying to evangelize in the Jewish holy land just seems..................awfully insensitive. Especially since Jewish people generally don't believe in trying to convert others.

I got engaged over the weekend, and I can't imagine wanting to spend my honeymoon trying to convert people in their own holy land. What a stressful way to start a marriage! :pb_lol:

My grandfather helped liberate a concentration camp in WW2. It started with a B, either Bergen-Belsen or Buchenwald. He never talked about it. Ever. It wasn't until after he died that I saw some of the pictures that he took. I don't ever need to see them again. They made me want to vomit.

My grandfather brought home a lot of items from the war that would be worth A LOT of money to collectors nowadays.  Growing up, I knew he had these artifacts, but he never wanted to bring them out to show to people or talk about it. It's like he didn't want to see them, but he could never bear to part with them. 

It's actually pretty ironic that they're trying to Evangelize Jews. We don't believe in converting people. Most Jews will tell you we feel culturally Jewish even if we're not religious. Those not born into it don't have that experience. It's not that we don't want people to join our tribe. It's just that most people don't do it all the way or misappropriate. The classes to convert are long. Takes a lot of time and you have to get a rabbi to take you thru all the steps. Plus if the rabbi counsel feels that you didn't convert properly, you're not Jewish at all. 

2 hours ago, Lurky said:

The "convert the 80 year old Holocaust survivors" thing just seems especially callous, as well as stupid.  People who've survived so much, coming to the end of their lives, and you're going to tell them they're going to hell?  When they literally lived through hell?

This. Exactly this. This is what I wanted to say but couldn't articulate.

A true follower of Jesus would offer aid and company without an agenda.

@CreationMuseumSeasonPass So many thanks to your grandfather.

Someone in some thread posted this itinerary https://www.oneforisrael.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/OFI-ministry-trip-june-22-july-3-with-early-transfer.pdf  and I can't remember where because I shut down the wrong tabs in my browser, so thanks to whoever sourced this.

Questionable or tactless motivations of the missionary part aside, it looks like a really interesting trip. 

This is why it doesn't matter if the Duggars travel to every inch of the world, they don't give a fuck about other cultures. 

A true follower of Jesus would offer aid and company without an agenda.

This what I consider true mission work. Providing humanitarian aid with no agenda or expectations. That is how you show Christ's love. As for trying to convert Jews, no...just no. That is beyond offensive.

I have been to Auschwitz. One of the most depressing days of my life. I went in winter and the reality of what they were wearing sunk in. I was in a coat and still was freezing. 

Walking through the gas chambers still gives me choice, everyone was dead silent. The shoes, the glasses, the hair still give me nightmares. I believe that every American has to go, I believe that we would be better off as world if we paid attention to history. 

Re: memorial sites and museums, didn't Ben and Jessa go to the DC Holocaust Memorial and come out with the conclusion that the Holocaust was caused by belief in evolution and was just like abortion? I'm going to assume that the scheduled memorial visit on Joystin's itinerary did nothing to raise their consciousness either.

@nickelodeon Jessa wrote that on Instagram. Michelle wrote something similar on her blog. You can find both on YouTube. I thought Ben had said something, too, but I can't find it as easily as I found what Jessa and Michelle wrote. 

Mr. Shrew & I didn't go on a honeymoon, for money & time-off-work reasons. I'm going to show him the One for Isreal site & suggest we take an anniversary trip.

Hilarity will ensue.

I feel like setting up a missoncation organization to convert fundies to Catholicism.

Destination - Arkansas

Mr. Daisy and I spent a week at Lake Martin in eastern Alabama. Me and traveling don't get along. And, I didn't want spend my honeymoon recovering from vertigo and nausea.

3 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

I have not visited Europe, but in Cambodia there are memorials to their Genocide that are deeply shocking and saddening.

That and Auschwitz are two places I'm very happy to have seen even though it was heartbreaking and the fact that the world seem to have learned so little from it's history saddens me every day. 

1 hour ago, nickelodeon said:

Re: memorial sites and museums, didn't Ben and Jessa go to the DC Holocaust Memorial and come out with the conclusion that the Holocaust was caused by belief in evolution and was just like abortion? I'm going to assume that the scheduled memorial visit on Joystin's itinerary did nothing to raise their consciousness either.

how is that even possible?? i mean what evolution has to do with Holocaust? do they mean that if they was still jews but didn't belive in evolution this will have never happen? i don't understand their logic and connection.

3 minutes ago, Italiangirl said:

how is that even possible?? i mean what evolution has to do with Holocaust? do they mean that if they was still jews but didn't belive in evolution this will have never happen? i don't understand their logic and connection.

Jessa wrote that it was because of people's belief in evolution that they were trying to eliminate less evolved people. You can't make this shit up. 

Converting aside, although, it doesn't shock me based on their beliefs and actions.  That trip cost someone a pretty penny ... Switzerland and Israel ($2380 pp not including flights )  for a honeymoon, wowza!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived