IGNORED

Jana's Future 5 - The More Things Seem to Change...

choralcrusader8613

1 hour ago, Independent Spirit said:

Nope. Former ATI student here. You brought me out of lurkdom. STEP (Skills Training for Emergency Preparedness) is the female equivalent of ALERT. Journey to the Heart is for both males and females. It's more like a place to go if you want to search yourself for sins, fast, and spill your guts in confession to your group. 

Thank you! This is always what it seemed like to me, from poking around, rather than a punishment/retraining camp for bad kids. like a fundie kairos - something a lot of catholic kids voluntarily go on in highschool to reflect, share and grow closer to god over a retreat with their friends. 

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, sunshine said:

lolz  at erin's style back then. remember when the bates looked less cool than the duggars? but yeah nothing in that interview suggests to me the two girls weren't there just for funsies and reflection. and in jana's case, maybe some alone time (towards the end of the video clip, she says how nice it is to be able to set aside the whole day for the lord, as compared to at home where she implies it's too hectic). and that quote is hardly scandalous - seems like a standard revelation from a period of reflection, to realize she could relate better to the people around her (even if i don't agree with her definition of "better"). :confusion-shrug:

2 hours ago, lomo6 said:

@Independent Spirit - Were any of these programs considered to be rehab of sorts for wayward teens? That's always how ALERT is referred to here, but not sure where that interpretation originated. 

I didn't ever have the impression that ALERT was for wayward "fellas" (as Gothard called them.) Rather, it was more like a pseudo-military training program--perhaps a Gothard-approved alternative to the real military, which was outside of his control and sphere of influence. It was more like Gothard's attempt to have a program for everything, so that ATI members never had to live in the real world. There were several  other ATI programs that were known for being intended for troubled youth, though (either ATI students or not.) Pretty much all of the programs required hefty fees and lots of free labor on the part of participants. Such programs included Refine (for girls who needed to develop a "servant's heart" via lots of homemaker-type labor at one of the training centers,) Life Focus (for ATI boys,) and the Log Cabin program (for troubled youth outside ATI families.) There is more information about these programs on the blog Recovering Grace, which was very helpful to me as I recovered from  the toxic teachings of ATI.

Anyway, Journey to the Heart wasn't necessarily targeted at wayward teens, but it seemed to me that its goal was to provoke confessions from people who had spent about ten days under intense peer pressure and emotional manipulation (when everyone around you is confessing sins such as a prideful heart or an independent spirit,  for example, it looks suspicious when you don't dig up something terrible from your own heart.) I was never required to go, but I could see why others might have been. If a parent sniffed out a whiff of an undesirable attitude, there might be a "heart problem" to be addressed.

14 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

:output_eeMbjt: Hey! Hey! Hey!  

Best contraceptive method ever, thinking about those two doing....yeah. :brainbleach:

In that video, Erin looks pissed off. Jana looks confused and upset. Hmm....?

I thought ALERT/JTTH could be both fun and punishment, depending on the kid - if you're already godly and good, it's just this fun time being rewarded - but if you confess to their equivalent of sins, or the leaders decide you're rebellious, etc, it's more "sit in isolation and memorise Bible verses for the girls, and physical duties for the boys - and lots of groups confession times where you sit around getting chastised in public for not being good enough etc. 

I do think it's important to remember that things don't have to be black and white - and that someone could have been through the "attitude adjustment" (brainwashing) version of the camp and still go back as a counsellor, because, well, it worked!

(Wasn't it Josiah who spent a lot of time at ALERT on punishment duty in the kitchens?)

1 hour ago, RosyDaisy said:

In that video, Erin looks pissed off. Jana looks confused and upset. Hmm....?

Agreed! They both kind of looked like they were being held hostage.

Now that I think about it. Why did they introduce Laura to the show , with her full name, even? She is much older than JD and Jana and I don't think a courtship is in the works for Laura + either one of them, but it's something entirely different. I suspect Laura will be Jana's business partner for that tattoo parlor, mark my words, people. with Jana now gardening, I'm  smelling a christian catering service for all the quiverfull weddings coming up. catering service + some food related business.

If they've not thought about until now, they will when some Duggar reads this post (we can assume that at least some of them are reading here).

JB will make this work! If  he can do one thing right, then it's business!

On 7/26/2017 at 4:38 PM, eveandadam said:

I suspect Laura will be Jana's business partner for that tattoo parlor, mark my words, people. with Jana now gardening, I'm  smelling a christian catering service for all the quiverfull weddings coming up. catering service + some food related business.

That would be amazing. But I don't know if I see that happening realistically. Wouldn't that just create or continue a narrative that Jana is out from under her parent's thumb? If she was allowed to run a business, who would take care of the kids / wouldn't that distract her from the pursuit of a godly husband and leader? 

As much as I hoped the tattoo parlor would be an out for Jana, I predict they will either refurbish it and sell it or give it to one of the boys for a business. 

I was watching an old episode of 19KAC last night, where Miracle Josie had been home for a little while. Baby Jordyn ran up to Michelle and said she needed something, and M said, "Go tell Jana!" That infuriated me! M was holding and cradling Josie but her other baby daughter needed her. M then admitted she didn't know what Jordyn was saying. Don't most mothers know what their kids are trying to tell them, even when they're nonverbal?

Anyway it just made me mad that Jana could figure out what little Jordyn wanted, but not her own biological mother. JB and M remind me of cat hoarders. The more cats/kids the better, but individual needs and care are not as important as the numbers.

Ok rant over.

I was doing some "research" on Jill and Derick, and found some interesting comments related to Jana.

A poster found a interview that the Duggars did. The family was asked if anyone was courting, and the little kids said "Jill". We were skeptical because the same thing happened to Jana. Well we were wrong about Jill, she was courting. Were the kids wrong about Jana? Did she have a failed courtship or whatever? Would the Duggars be honest about failed courtship(or whatever)? Look at the way they treat Josiah and Marjorie's courtship. That was announced publicly and they pretend like it never happened. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if all of  adult kids "relationships" that didn't work out 

I also found some interesting comments about how we viewed the older girls:

"Jill is the Sarah Maxwell of the family. They will never let her go"

"I can't believe they're letting Jill get married they need her. If she's getting married why is Jana still single?

15 minutes ago, JoyJoy said:

I was doing some "research" on Jill and Derick, and found some interesting comments related to Jana.

A poster found a interview that the Duggars did. The family was asked if anyone was courting, and the little kids said "Jill". We were skeptical because the same thing happened to Jana. Well we were wrong about Jill, she was courting. Were the kids wrong about Jana? Did she have a failed courtship or whatever? Would the Duggars be honest about failed courtship(or whatever)? Look at the way they treat Josiah and Marjorie's courtship. That was announced publicly and they pretend like it never happened. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if all of  adult kids "relationships" that didn't work out 

I also found some interesting comments about how we viewed the older girls:

"Jill is the Sarah Maxwell of the family. They will never let her go"

"I can't believe they're letting Jill get married they need her. If she's getting married why is Jana still single?

When did the same thing happen to Jana? When did the kids reveal something? I don't remember hearing about that. 

2 hours ago, AnnaRuk09 said:

When did the same thing happen to Jana? When did the kids reveal something? I don't remember hearing about that. 

I found a discussion of it in this thread http://www.freejinger.org/topic/19128-jill-duggar-courtship-confirmed-merge/#comment-696720

It was an interview with girl not the little kids? I think it was discussed in another FJ thread????

On 01/08/2017 at 4:34 AM, PumaLover said:

Anyway it just made me mad that Jana could figure out what little Jordyn wanted, but not her own biological mother. JB and M remind me of cat hoarders. The more cats/kids the better, but individual needs and care are not as important as the numbers.

I own two cats and a puppy. We are at maximum pet capacity. As much as I'd love to be surrounded by oodles of pets, could you imagine the smell? 

I own two cats and a puppy. We are at maximum pet capacity. As much as I'd love to be surrounded by oodles of pets, could you imagine the smell? 

Haha yes!! I have quite the number of animals here, and even though my husband calls me a hoarder I'm not! But it definitely takes daily work to keep everything clean.

The worst part is the fur all over the hard floors. No matter how much I sweep/Swiffer/Roomba/vacuum it's still always there. We are trying to sell our house right now and the cleanup is absolutely constant!

Just a friendly note that discussing sexuality of kidults at home is still off limits.

Who else is Jana going to be friends with? Her other adult sisters who seem to exclude her? Her next younger unmarried sister who's half her age? Rufus? 

Give me a break. 

With The other older girls and Anna married with husbands and then children to tend to Jana is naturally going to be the one left out.. I mean there are  matters concerning marriage  that little Joy Anna can talk about now that Jana had no experience of and presumably can't even talk about in front of the eldest. That must rankle her somewhat. 

I seriously doubt the credentials of that article. I mean it's from Hollywood gossip! Buuuutttt on one hand, it is interesting that there are specifics stated - like the location of TX and MS. But on the other hand, it's not impossible for someone to make this stuff up. So Idk. 

All the Jana rumors are all BS. Okay, come on, it's the DUGGAR'S! In their view it's only acceptable and modest for a male to strictly have only male friendships and visa versa. This "insider" revealed that Jana is not in  courtship. Who else is she going to hang out with?? Of course she's only going to have close female relationships!

It's also not weird that the family is eager to get the rumors out of the headlines. For them, homosexuality is a serious condition that will send you to hell. Their Pastor believes it's a myth. They want absolutely nothing to do with it. Not surprising. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived