Coconut Flan

I agree with what was said about Jill, and I know from personal experience how that stays with you, even once you move away from your parents. She might be an adult and be married, but she is still very much under her parents influence still. She didn't stand a chance then and she still doesn't really stand one now. Even if they DID break away from her family and leave the church, it would take YEARS and extensive therapy to see any sort of change in her. It's ingrained in her very nature now. 

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Still have a free arm said:

Not to mention Jill seemed to have drawn the short end of the stick in the husband department. Not that any of them are stellar, but hers seems a bit more off to me.

That was Jill's choice though. No one forced her to marry Derick. It's one of the few choices that she had to make in her life. Sure Jim Bob brought them together but she didn't have to say yes. She's an adult now with children, if she's miserable then it's on her to change it. She never will however, she will continue to be miserable. 

On 6/21/2017 at 1:23 PM, Flossie said:

for a time Jessa tried to call him Elliot

What interviews, episodes, etc did she ever call him Elliot? I completely missed this. TIA!

That was Jill's choice though. No one forced her to marry Derick. It's one of the few choices that she had to make in her life. Sure Jim Bob brought them together but she didn't have to say yes. 

That is very true. That seems to be the one area that they're allow to make a decision. I wish she could have made smaller mistakes, before making a huge one.

3 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

That was Jill's choice though. No one forced her to marry Derick. It's one of the few choices that she had to make in her life. Sure Jim Bob brought them together but she didn't have to say yes. She's an adult now with children, if she's miserable then it's on her to change it. She never will however, she will continue to be miserable. 

Was it, though? If she has been ingrained her entire life to seek her parents' happiness, and her father loves Derrick and is encouraging for Jill to marry him... did she really have much of a choice? In the religious cult that I was raised in, people in their 20's and 30's got married all the time, but it was very rarely their choice, it was what the Leading Brothers wanted. I don't think you can necessarily equate adult = choice

1 minute ago, viii said:

Was it, though? If she has been ingrained her entire life to seek her parents' happiness, and her father loves Derrick and is encouraging for Jill to marry him... did she really have much of a choice?

Yes, because Jim Bob has always stated that they have had many offers of courtship for the girls. I'm sure that there are many of those who could have made Jim Bob equally as happy. It was Jill's choice to marry Derick. It may have been a dumb choice but she made it. 

19 minutes ago, viii said:

Was it, though? If she has been ingrained her entire life to seek her parents' happiness, and her father loves Derrick and is encouraging for Jill to marry him... did she really have much of a choice?

Here's my thought...if Jill has boughten into this entire patriarchal, daddy, brother, Gothard and husband know best ideology, why does she present as being so utterly miserable? If she has bought in, shouldn't she be happy no matter what? If not, isn't that the first chink in the armor? 

29 minutes ago, Berty K said:

What interviews, episodes, etc did she ever call him Elliot? I completely missed this. TIA!

I don't think she ever did. There was just lots of armchairing here on FJ about how much Jessa was forced to submit to choosing the name Spurgeon even though she hated it and that Ben was asserting his headship. There's no evidence of that, of course. 

3 hours ago, BadMammaJana said:

There needs to be more education for carseat safety. Just a quick overview in the hospital and booklet with pictures on the dos and don'ts of carseat safety. If I hadn't seen moms get ripped apart on social media/ message boards, then I wouldn't have learned how to properly put my kids in their carseats, or made sure to learn the laws on my state for carseat safety. I was one of those moms that had the chest clips too low on my daughter sometimes. It seems like most moms learn too late, and then get defensive when you give them helpful, life saving information. It's almost like they won't correct simple mistakes just to spite whoever corrects them. 

Do you live in the U.S.? I believe you can go to any fire station and have them install it for you. My local one even GIVES you a car seat for free if you agree to go through their safety training regarding kids car seats.

Before grand wolf 1 was born I went with wolf girl to the fire station to get the car seat installed. It was loose by the time we got home. Mr. Wolf and I did a better job of installing it.

4 hours ago, KelseyAnn said:

With  Jessa as protective as she is of Jinger, I'd love to see Jessa throw down with Jill. 

I'm sorry, I just can't stand Jill. Jill, throughout her childhood, has always had a holier-than-thou attitude and it's unflattering. Remember Jill all but scolding Jinger like a naughty child for wanting to live out in a big city? 

I would definitely love to see that!

While I only have one sibling, I can totally see where Jinger and Jessa would resent the hell out of Jill. I grew up in a family where narc-ing was encouraged (my mom was a big Dobson fan back in the day). My sister, being a people-pleaser and follower who was allergic to breaking rules, tattled on me at every opportunity-- which continued well into adulthood. I didn't tattle on her because I was too busy breaking rules to police her behavior. She only recently stopped doing it, and we are both in our thirties. It nearly ruined my relationship with her permanently; I didn't speak to her for a year because of that and other issues related to her sucking up to our batshit mother at my expense.

Keeping sweet or no, it would hard for them to not resent Jill's attitude and behavior, even though it's not really her fault her parents encouraged her to be this way. Though they'll never express it; it'll all be social media shade and simmering passive-aggression. 

1 hour ago, FleeJanaFree said:

Do you live in the U.S.? I believe you can go to any fire station and have them install it for you. My local one even GIVES you a car seat for free if you agree to go through their safety training regarding kids car seats.

Unfortunately, not every fire station has trained professionals available. Here's a link for anyone in the states needing help with car seat installation:

https://www.safercar.gov/cpsApp/cps/index.htm

Just enter your location information and it'll you where you can have your seat installed/checked. I'd just suggest calling ahead to see if the location you pick requires appointments.

1 hour ago, JesusCampSongs said:

I would definitely love to see that!

While I only have one sibling, I can totally see where Jinger and Jessa would resent the hell out of Jill. I grew up in a family where narc-ing was encouraged (my mom was a big Dobson fan back in the day). My sister, being a people-pleaser and follower who was allergic to breaking rules, tattled on me at every opportunity-- which continued well into adulthood. I didn't tattle on her because I was too busy breaking rules to police her behavior. She only recently stopped doing it, and we are both in our thirties. It nearly ruined my relationship with her permanently; I didn't speak to her for a year because of that and other issues related to her sucking up to our batshit mother at my expense.

Keeping sweet or no, it would hard for them to not resent Jill's attitude and behavior, even though it's not really her fault her parents encouraged her to be this way. Though they'll never express it; it'll all be social media shade and simmering passive-aggression. 

I'd much rather see Jessa or Jinger take it out on their parents. They're the ones who raised them to narc on each other and they're the ones who failed to protect them from Josh. Jill being annoying or tattling on them pales in conpatision to the gross negligence and manipulation demonstrated by their parents.

1 hour ago, FleeJanaFree said:

I do, and our hospital offered free carseat installations. I heard that it varies with fire stations across the US. Here in SoCal some highway patrol offices offer free carseat installations or maybe just check it for you. Luckily I was able to convince my husband to take advantage of the service and even the techs had a hard time with ours. Proper installation is half the battle, so at least those services are offered.  

They just changed the laws so you have to rear face til 2 years old here. 

Grand wolf 2 is 4 and still rear facing. He's pretty small and his mom is really on top of car seat safety.

On June 22, 2017 at 9:26 AM, mpheels said:

I had the same thought/concern about car seats. Jessa was driving an SUV, and it looked like one that might have two rows of passengers seats in the back. It would be feasible to fit 6 kids in the back of an SUV with two rows of passenger seating, especially since Mack and Michael are old enough to be in booster seats. Izzy if old/big enough for a forward facing seat. She would need rear facing for Meredith and Henry for sure, and hopefully also still using rear facing for Spurgeon. All of that assumes the car seats were already installed or Jill thought to transfer them. If Hannie was with them, she's a bit young to ride in the front seat (recommendation is backseat for kids under 12), but I would rather have her properly restrained in the front seat than wedged in the back seat among the car seats and boosters, and potentially without access to a seat belt for herself. Of course, the best situation would be to call one of her many adult siblings to driving over with a second car and spare car seats, to help with wrangling and transporting kids.

She had five kids. Henry was in her belly at this point. And Marcus at dr. So Two booster, two rear and one front. We saw Spud in his car seat. 

US magazine has a new clip from Monday's episode where they ask Jinger if she is with child - she doesn't answer - good for her.  And it looks like Jordyn is Spud's sister mom 

It just sucks all around because if it isn't the daughters who have to be the mom then it's the youngest siblings who have to step up.

6 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I believe the Lord has given her a fine opportunity to work on her contentment...forever.

On 6/20/2017 at 9:57 AM, mpheels said:

The internet is a magical place. If they want to buy condoms, amazon delivers. If they want to use a prescription method, they can use a mail order pharmacy.

This is exactly what Josh thought. We see how far that carried him. lol

From a PR perspective, the internet is less secure than randomly picking up a box of condoms at the gas station. The internet is unforgiving. Everything can be tracked and confirmed. But maybe they don't care about any of the media frenzy. 

5 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

This is exactly what Josh thought. We see how far that carried him. lol

From a PR perspective, the internet is less secure than randomly picking up a box of condoms at the gas station. The internet is unforgiving. Everything can be tracked and confirmed. But maybe they don't care about any of the media frenzy. 

How would the media track and confirm that they were ordering birth control online? I don't think the media actually has any way to do that, nor do I think the media is interested enough to try.

18 hours ago, Honeysuckle said:

Meredith's older than Spurgeon, I would hope they are both still rear-faced. I don't put much faith in the Duggars to know current carseat guidelines from the AAP or anything. I assume they just follow the exact letter of the law and probably flipped front facing at exactly one year. Currently most car seat guidelines recommend rear-facing to at least two years, regardless of weight, but I think only 3 states have rear-facing till 2 as law. Most are 1 year, and a lot of parents just flip on the first birthday because it's easier, and because it's easy not to realize that the laws don't keep up with the cutting edge safety recs as well as you'd wish.

Their timeline shifting is really messing with my head - In my mind Spurgeon is older since we see him in real time on instagram, but Meredith is frozen in time based on the filming schedule. Same with Henry - My brain knows he's out there now, so I fill in the blanks for the currently airing episodes.

25 minutes ago, mpheels said:

Their timeline shifting is really messing with my head - In my mind Spurgeon is older since we see him in real time on instagram, but Meredith is frozen in time based on the filming schedule. Same with Henry - My brain knows he's out there now, so I fill in the blanks for the currently airing episodes.

Henry will be born on Monday. Which I think will just mess things up more because we've seen him in Joy's wedding episode. He's a big baby. lol :P 

On 2017-06-22 at 6:28 PM, SuhrEnity said:

It's a thunderstormy day in Toronto so I thought I'd give you all a prezzie. You're welcome!

That photo is just disturbing. It looks like she's naked. And what's up with that pose? :brainbleach:

23 hours ago, Honeysuckle said:

Currently most car seat guidelines recommend rear-facing to at least two years, regardless of weight, but I think only 3 states have rear-facing till 2 as law. Most are 1 year, and a lot of parents just flip on the first birthday because it's easier, and because it's easy not to realize that the laws don't keep up with the cutting edge safety recs as well as you'd wish.

In Sweden it's recommended that you rear-face until at least four. It is much safer. 

My daughter managed to get to four with grandson.  She's aiming for that with granddaughter.

Just to let us foreigners know, s04e03 is now on youtube for a while. In all the magnificent Darth Vader voices. Love it. 

Edited to add my thoughts. I was actually most surprised about Josie acting out like that towards Jordyn. Well not surprised actually, but I hadn't seen it yet on tv. Guess that's what happens if you prefer one child over the other two specifically (Jordyn, Jenni). She seems like a spoiled brat. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived