IGNORED

A totally accurate and in no way sarcastic Bates Cheat Sheet

VelociRapture

So I realized that most girls in the bates so far have gotten some type of education. Is the same offered for the guys do we know or it just so happens that the guys just decided not to?

• Upvote 5

24 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

So I realized that most girls in the bates so far have gotten some type of education. Is the same offered for the guys do we know or it just so happens that the guys just decided not to?

We've seen Kelly urging Trace to try a semester at Crown. She said if he didn't like it he didn't need to continue. So I'm assuming the sons are given the option and decide not to, likely because they need to start earning money early in order to save up for a potential marriage. 

• Upvote 10

I get the impression the boys have a bit more freedom too. For the girls their only way to really get out of the house and do something is going to Crown college, there is no way they would be allowed to travel like Lawson or try out for the Dixie Stampede like one of the boys did. 

The girls can go to Crown College, find a fundie approved job(which is very limited) or sit at home raising siblings until a husband arrives. 

• Upvote 19

Sorry if I missed it but I think you forgot to mention that Kelly can't name her children in order.

• Upvote 11

On 6/20/2017 at 6:20 AM, infooverload said:

I want to say she was pregnant by their first anniversary 

Kelly gave birth 11 days after their first anniversary.

• Upvote 8

@VelociRapture - this is amazing.  You have a gift for summary!  I keep tabs on the Bates clan and watch Bringing Up Bates so I appreciate such a comprehensive summary of the family and their various shenanigans.

Regarding this part:

On 6/16/2017 at 9:23 PM, VelociRapture said:

One of Erin's Aunts (on her father's side) appears to have struggled with a similar fertility disorder. She apparently helped to provide emotional support to Erin. Erin asked her cousin, I believe this Aunt's daughter, to bake a cake to reveal Carson's SEX when her father's family got together for Thanksgiving.

[See spoiler for more details about this, and Gil's parents and siblings.]

Spoiler

In the first season of BUB, episode 10 is "A Big Bates Thanksgiving" and takes place at Papa Bill and Mama Jane's (Gil's parents') house. (Actually all of the episodes at their house usually seem to revolve around Thanksgiving or 4th of July, but they visit Gil's family in TN often.)  In this episode, Erin's Aunt Jenny (Gil's sister) did say something on camera about supporting Erin through her fertility struggles because she had gone through something similar.  Jenny and Gil's brother Greg both live on the extended property of Papa Bill & Mama Jane's farm with their respective families.  Greg's eldest daughter Katherine was the one who baked the reveal cake.  [Also:  I see what you did there with the "Carson's SEX" comment - I was thinking gender, but in their world it's "sex," isn't it?]

Greg's wife Casey had a great blog going until last year at bumpinalongtheroadlesstraveled.blogspot.com and I miss reading about the family as their five kids. These Bates cousins were/are homeschooled and Christian, but participate in a Christian homeschool co-op and wear "normal clothes" like shorts and swimsuits and participate in theater and dance and the like.  At some point Casey advised Kelly Jo about various homeschool methods/curricula as Casey's kids study science and other topics and don't use ATI and Abeka "curricula."  Even their oldest son, who I believe has special needs (autism?), took classes at a [mainstream?] college last year, so unlike Gil and his family, their kids are encouraged to seek higher education outside of a Crown-type environment.

For those who are interested, there was a good article about Gil's parents and his siblings and their upbringing here:
archive.independentmail.com/features/honea-path-couple-their-son-featured-in-new-television-show-united-bates-of-america-ep-407868706-348324271.html

The best thing about the episodes including Papa Bill and Mama Jane, especially on their farm, is that they clearly are baffled by their son's choices in having such a large family and how's he's raising his kids.  They enjoy their grandchildren and Alyssa is especially close to her grandparents (naming her Allie Jane after Mama Jane), but they are overwhelmed whenever the ever-growing Gil Bates brood visits.

Once again, thanks for the recaps!  Let me know if you need help adding to/maintaining this thread!

Edited by Snarkle
Clarification of riffles!
  • Upvote 9

@SnarkleThank you for the additional information! I remember watching that episode, but couldn't remember specifics and was too tired to go back and look for it. 

I wrote "SEX" instead of "gender" because sex is the physical parts a person is born with, whereas gender is how someone internally (mentally) identifies themselves. These Fundies and, admittedly, many families of every religious or non-religious belief, use the term "gender reveal" when that isn't the correct term for revealing the anatomy of a fetus at all.

(Disclosure: I have a Transgender sibling. It really pisses me off when the wrong terminology is used by people who vote for politicians that try to legislate my brother's right to a decent life away. So I always make a point to over emphasize that it's a sex reveal, not a gender reveal.)

• Upvote 26
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Due to the statement Michelle made (8 going on 200)  I was just thinking about my (maybe not) imaginary battle of the super families.

the current tally duggar v bates:

married:

5-4

engaged:

1-0

courting:

0-2

grandkids:

8(+1) - 6

single adults (incl.turning 18 this year):

5-4

The Duggars are winning

• Upvote 5

23 hours ago, KelseyAnn said:

You gotta do one for the Duggars now, this was great!

Lol! If I have time I will. I worked on this during Velocibaby's naps, but she's getting more and more active (which is ridiculously exciting for me!) I completed it in just a few days, but I have a feeling Duggar summaries would be much more intensive due to how long they've been in he public eye. I'll see what I can do.

ETA: I am actually working on this. I have a good amount down for the parents. I'm hoping to have it done before the fall.

Edited by VelociRapture
  • Upvote 18
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, Dutchie said:

Due to the statement Michelle made (8 going on 200)  I was just thinking about my (maybe not) imaginary battle of the super families.

the current tally duggar v bates:

The Duggars also got a head start because Smugger got married in '08.

Edited by Coconut Flan
Snipped quote.
  • Upvote 10

On 6/17/2017 at 6:24 AM, veron1que said:

Excellent! I didn't even know there was a Katie Bates.

Also, you didn't include the real naughty picture ;).

IMG_0252.JPG

Please tell me they're both over 18 in this so I don't feel bad for where my eyes went.

• Upvote 14

3 hours ago, Jug Band Baby said:

Please tell me they're both over 18 in this so I don't feel bad for where my eyes went.

Don't worry, they are well in their 20s.

• Upvote 9

Bates as far as we know don't have any infidelity scandals. Plus they have 2 adult children who have lived out of state without bringing down the empire. So they are ahead of the Duggars in this regard.

• Upvote 13

On 7/18/2017 at 11:04 PM, infooverload said:

Bates as far as we know don't have any infidelity scandals. Plus they have 2 adult children who have lived out of state without bringing down the empire. So they are ahead of the Duggars in this regard.

They are also not covering up sex abuse perpetrated by any of their children.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, ColeJo said:

They are also not covering up sex abuse perpetrated by any of their children.

Yeah. But they were caught concealing the sexual harassment  of multiple female staffers by Bill Gothard. And I think the whole family loses points simply because Kelly tied to coverup that Cherin had that disgusting "Groom's cake" for Gothard at their wedding.

• Upvote 24

12 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Yeah. But they were caught concealing the sexual harassment  of multiple female staffers by Bill Gothard. And I think the whole family loses points simply because Kelly tied to coverup that Cherin had that disgusting "Groom's cake" for Gothard at their wedding.

And didn't they also let their daughters hang around IBLP/with Gothard unsupervised after the coverup began (and they were made aware of the fact that he's a giant creep)? Even if nothing happened, that's still totally fucked up and negligent of them. 

• Upvote 15
  • Love 1

On 7/21/2017 at 4:40 AM, VelociRapture said:

Could it possibly be they were ashamed?  I know he still works for them but does he have other options, one of the sons supports them I thought (mowing lawns?)?

2 hours ago, Greendoor said:

Could it possibly be they were ashamed?  I know he still works for them but does he have other options, one of the sons supports them I thought (mowing lawns?)?

Not sure which part you're referring to.

If you're talking about the sexual harassment: Gil is on the Board of Directors of IBLP. If he were ashamed of Gothard's actions he would have either resigned once he knew about the allegations or he would have been open about it. Not covered it up.

If you're talking about the cake: Kelly has a bad habit of trying to scrub material off their blog once it becomes objectionable to the public. Just like with their "Confederacy/Southern Pride" bullshit room that was really just a shrine to some asshole who was connected to the KKK. So I doubt they felt ashamed about that either - if were, they would have offered an apology and said they intend to educate themselves, not simply scrubbed the evidence from their blog and acted like nothing happened.

As far as who supports them, I have no clue. Lawson had helped out when he was younger, but I don't know if he does anymore. Gil may still have his tree business though and they likely get something from UP. He may get something from IBLP too, though that might not be monetary. It could just be paying for travel or something.

• Upvote 5

I was refering to the cake.

These folks are as lazy and no-account as the Duggars - some one get a real job, preferably with benenfits!

• Upvote 2

On 7/3/2017 at 4:18 PM, VelociRapture said:

@SnarkleThank you for the additional information! I remember watching that episode, but couldn't remember specifics and was too tired to go back and look for it. 

I wrote "SEX" instead of "gender" because sex is the physical parts a person is born with, whereas gender is how someone internally (mentally) identifies themselves. These Fundies and, admittedly, many families of every religious or non-religious belief, use the term "gender reveal" when that isn't the correct term for revealing the anatomy of a fetus at all.

(Disclosure: I have a Transgender sibling. It really pisses me off when the wrong terminology is used by people who vote for politicians that try to legislate my brother's right to a decent life away. So I always make a point to over emphasize that it's a sex reveal, not a gender reveal.)

You're welcome!  And thank you also for your thoughtful comments about sex vs. gender (I agreed with you, btw, if that wasn't clear - my son was in a youth group at our UU church and one of his friends from it is gender fluid and another is transitioning, so we're somewhat familiar with using the appropriate terminology).  Frankly I'm glad my son was born before the whole "reveal" trend.  We just told some people we were having a boy (I was relieved because I have medical issues that are much less of a problem for boys and I wanted to know), but didn't make a big deal about it.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Snarkle said:

You're welcome!  And thank you also for your thoughtful comments about sex vs. gender (I agreed with you, btw, if that wasn't clear - my son was in a youth group at our UU church and one of his friends from it is gender fluid and another is transitioning, so we're somewhat familiar with using the appropriate terminology).  Frankly I'm glad my son was born before the whole "reveal" trend.  We just told some people we were having a boy (I was relieved because I have medical issues that are much less of a problem for boys and I wanted to know), but didn't make a big deal about it.

That's awesome about your son's friends! I love hearing about teenagers getting the support and acceptance they deserve. :)

And yeah. I'm not a huge fan of sex reveals either, but I'm also not going to tell people not to have one if they want. I'd just hope they'd realize that their kid's gender may not match their sex and that they'd be accepting of that. I think things are slowly improving for Trans and gender fluid people in some parts of the country, but there is still a lot of work to do and some areas are just assbackwards with their laws right now. 

• Upvote 3

On 7/3/2017 at 1:18 PM, VelociRapture said:

I wrote "SEX" instead of "gender" because sex is the physical parts a person is born with, whereas gender is how someone internally (mentally) identifies themselves. 

YES! Gender reveal parties drive me bananas for that reason. I love fun colored cakes and balloons, but get it right. 

Edited by Coconut Flan
Snipped quote.
  • Upvote 7