IGNORED

Stockdale family murders

JermajestyDuggar

Haigwood son's breathing, whispering to himself trying to control his anger, the dad having meltdowns because the kids swapped their raw chicken diet with cooked food... there are lots of clips on Youtube still. Creepy. Check out Haigwood and Hess-Webb families. Wife Swap is indeed full of crazy people. Haigwoods also ate rotten beef and called it "high meat" and their bathroom had black surfaces as they never cleaned. They were extremely fundamentalist in their devotion to raw food and germs. Those two teens were so isolated.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Edhelfin said:

Haigwood son's breathing, whispering to himself trying to control his anger, the dad having meltdowns because the kids swapped their raw chicken diet with cooked food... there are lots of clips on Youtube still. Creepy. Check out Haigwood and Hess-Webb families. Wife Swap is indeed full of crazy people. Haigwoods also ate rotten beef and called it "high meat" and their bathroom had black surfaces as they never cleaned. They were extremely fundamentalist in their devotion to raw food and germs. Those two teens were so isolated.

I watched it and the rotted meat looked so nasty it made me ill. I wonder whatever happened to them. I bet the kids made a break for it and never looked back.

10 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I watched it and the rotted meat looked so nasty it made me ill. I wonder whatever happened to them. I bet the kids made a break for it and never looked back.

I can only hope so. They would be 23 and 25 now I think...

Mike and Barbara Haigwood are now in the DC metro area.  They're consultants and have been since 2014 or so.  *shudders*

They live in Clarksville, MD

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/howard/howard-magazine/ph-mg-ho-marys-land-farm-20161102-story.html

"Veteran farmers and permaculture practitioners Mike and Barb Haigwood joined the farm to help create a farmwide permaculture plan. (The Haigwoods’ son Lee also joined the farm to run the tractor and work with the animals.)"

http://www.reallifeconsulting.org

Workshops -   http://www.reallifeconsulting.org/workshops.html

http://tcpermaculture.com/site/2014/04/11/a-visit-to-the-p-a-bowen-farmstead/   (2014)

"I had a chance to meet Mike and Barb Haigwood when I was at the Permaculture Voices Conference. At the time, just over a month ago, they were the farm managers at the P.A. Bowen Farmstead. They said that I should come and visit some time, and, as it turned out, I was going to be in the D.C. area about 2 weeks after the conference. I decided to take them up on their offer, and I am so glad I did!"  

Aleesha posted at the bottom of the thread, bitching about P.A. Bowen Farmstead.

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I can only find 1-3 minute clips, can anyone post a link to the episode?

Alesha is married with no kids and Lee has a girlfriend with one baby and another baby on the way. They seem to be the crunchy hipster types but hopefully they can eat cooked meat now :my_sick:

13 minutes ago, Coconutwater said:

I can only find 1-3 minute clips, can anyone post a link to the episode?

Sorry I watched it when it originally aired years ago. It's one of the few episodes that really sticks in my mind because that meat looked SO NASTY. 

6 hours ago, purjolok84 said:

Sometimes one kid's struggled for B is another kid's easy A. And vice versa. As long as the kid has learned something relevant and meaningful, the grade shouldn't matter.

Very true. She is more obsessed with the GPA than I am.  I just want her to understand what she is learning the best way she can. Her dad goes over her homework and she has a good grasp, but she just does not test well. She gets all anxious and does not read the entire math problem before she dives right in to solve it. 

She is going in to 8th grade in the fall so next year is high school. In my area the kids have it drilled into them that grades matter and matter a lot. Getting into the right college is looked as a life or death issue.  Sigh. Feels to to me that this crushes a kids love or learning. That is matters to me, that she grow up with a love of learning at any age.

I've talked with her about starting her first two years after high school at our local community college.  In our system it is guaranteed admission to state universities after completing your AA.  I think it is a great deal. You get your core classes in a smaller environment, and after that when one  has a better idea of a major they can start on that in the larger school.

16 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

She is going in to 8th grade in the fall so next year is high school. In my area the kids have it drilled into them that grades matter and matter a lot. Getting into the right college is looked as a life or death issue.  Sigh. Feels to to me that this crushes a kids love or learning. That is matters to me, that she grow up with a love of learning at any age.

Sounds like my high school. It's an incredibly unhealthy attitude. I think it's contributed to my brothers and I having anxiety issues in higher Ed (at least they were able to beat theirs).

6 hours ago, purjolok84 said:

Sometimes one kid's struggled for B is another kid's easy A. And vice versa. As long as the kid has learned something relevant and meaningful, the grade shouldn't matter.

Makes me think of my first year Japanese class when I was in college. That was the hardest earned C I ever had in my life. 

More importantly this is just a toxic lesson for any aspect of life, not just within school. Failure is just a part of life and learning how to cope and grow from failure is part of being a healthy adult. It's pretty well known now that not allowing a kid to fail, or communicating to them that failure is unacceptable is going to set many kids up for depression, anxiety and loads of other mental health issues. 

8 hours ago, Gellhorn said:

Mike and Barbara Haigwood are now in the DC metro area.  They're consultants and have been since 2014 or so.  *shudders*

They live in Clarksville, MD

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/howard/howard-magazine/ph-mg-ho-marys-land-farm-20161102-story.html

"Veteran farmers and permaculture practitioners Mike and Barb Haigwood joined the farm to help create a farmwide permaculture plan. (The Haigwoods’ son Lee also joined the farm to run the tractor and work with the animals.)"

http://www.reallifeconsulting.org

Workshops -   http://www.reallifeconsulting.org/workshops.html

http://tcpermaculture.com/site/2014/04/11/a-visit-to-the-p-a-bowen-farmstead/   (2014)

"I had a chance to meet Mike and Barb Haigwood when I was at the Permaculture Voices Conference. At the time, just over a month ago, they were the farm managers at the P.A. Bowen Farmstead. They said that I should come and visit some time, and, as it turned out, I was going to be in the D.C. area about 2 weeks after the conference. I decided to take them up on their offer, and I am so glad I did!"  

Aleesha posted at the bottom of the thread, bitching about P.A. Bowen Farmstead.

He did a podcast in 2013.  For FJers who aren't familiar with Sally Fallon and the Weston Price Foundation, turn off your cellphone and get comfortable -- it's quite a rabbit hole.

http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/grass-based-dairy

53 minutes ago, JMarie said:

Sally Fallon and the Weston Price Foundation

Ah, the peanut butter / breastfeeding / circumcision topics of food blogs!  :fire-nanner:

It occurred  to me the other night that the Stockdales sound like Ed Gein's family. Strong/overbearing mother, adult sons living at home. 

On 6/22/2017 at 3:20 PM, Edhelfin said:

Good God... This reminds me of another Wife Swap family, Haigwoods. Came across them on Yuku boards and watched a few clips. They were obsessed with healthy food (i.e. raw chicken, raw eggs, decayed meat) lived in a farm, had two isolated, homeschooled teen kids. The son seemed to struggle controlling his anger. I felt so bad for those kids. TV producers should not promote these loonie parents!!!

I've only seen two episodes of Wife Swap. This one, and another one with homeschooled kids who were also isolated. The school work included things like making moccasins. The kids didn't know how to use a phone and often pretended they lived in medieval times.

7 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

Getting into the right college is looked as a life or death issue.  Sigh.

College is not for everyone.  Many HS graduates are not just not ready, or not interested enough, to make it a worthwhile venture.

College will always be there for your child if she wants to, later on.

I hate pressuring kids into something they don't want....

22 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

I've only seen two episodes of Wife Swap. This one, and another one with homeschooled kids who were also isolated. The school work included things like making moccasins. The kids didn't know how to use a phone and often pretended they lived in medieval times.

I remember this one!  They lived in a regular neighborhood (as opposed to being in the middle of nowhere, like the Haigwoods).  The mom homeschooled the kids, and the dad left the house every day for work.  Of course, he was the only one allowed to have a phone. The daughter didn't know their area code, and the son claimed that they didn't need a phone because they did have the internet.  Didn't they all work at the Ren Faire?

7 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

College is not for everyone.  Many HS graduates are not just not ready, or not interested enough, to make it a worthwhile venture.

Even when I was in high school(1984 graduate), there was a strong "Go To College or you'll be flipping burgers the rest of your life" vibe. 

On 6/18/2017 at 11:06 PM, BirdgirlH said:

Check it out - bit unusual, the colour, but I sorta like it! :)

Sure to get noticed! I had a french with silver sparkle overlay done earlier this week.

In the future, please keep rules discussion including up voting and down voting in the community discussion rulz thread. 

As far as the college push I think there is a growing push back against it. Students are starting to go do I really want to gamble on a decision I make now and will potentially end up $30K in debt for? Then you have people like Mike Rowe stating there are X number of jobs out there not requiring a college degree which offer a living wage. What he neglects to mention is a lot of those jobs leave a person's body broken down by middle age. I've proposed the idea we allow young people to do these manually intensive jobs and then when their bodies break down at middle age we have a system in place so they can transition into less physically demanding jobs.

I have read that certain trades are hurting because as the more experienced people retire, there isn't enough "fresh blood" to take their place.

12 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

My nephew was not ready for college his first year and crashed and burned. After a year off working, he was able to go back and did very well.

13 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I have read that certain trades are hurting because as the more experienced people retire, there isn't enough "fresh blood" to take their place.

When I was in high school auto shop, drafting and other trades were taught. Now it is just push push push for the Ivy League no matter if it a good fit for the kid or even what they want.

Same here in the UK. Apprenticeship places are hard to find. Not enough places, fill up very quickly. Young people who don't want to take an academic route struggle with zero hour contracts and next to no training available. 

13 hours ago, TheOneAndOnly said:

It occurred  to me the other night that the Stockdales sound like Ed Gein's family. Strong/overbearing mother, adult sons living at home. 

Shiver...I saw a documentary about Ed Gein, who was also the inspiration for Psycho. He gruesomely murdered and mutilated (among other horrible things) several women, but not his mother. 

DD went to elementary school and junior high with a boy who ended up murdering both his parents and an uncle. He first murdered the dad and uncle in their cabin in another state, then lured his mother up there and killed her when she arrived.

This was maybe ten years ago, so the killer was in his twenties, and was no longer a teen. The little suburban village we lived in was rocked to the core. The mom had been a substitute kindergarten teacher, everybody knew her. DD looked back at the killer's signature in her eighth grade yearbook, and we both shuddered. The only thing she recalled about the boy in school is that he was quiet.

My DD was in school with this person before school shootings were a thing, but boy did it unnerve me to think he could have directed his violent tendencies toward his classmates.

My point is, you never know what might trigger family murders. There were no obvious signs of mistreatment or abuse (doesn't mean there wasn't any). We don't know if the young man had taken up drugs or something.

Sympathy was strictly for the victims in this case. The killer is doing two life sentences, I believe.

Yeah, this incident with DD's former classmate hit way too close to home.

When I was in high school auto shop, drafting and other trades were taught. Now it is just push push push for the Ivy League no matter if it a good fit for the kid or even what they want.

Part of the cause for stripping of funding for things such as auto and other trades classes was due to the No Child Left Behind legislation. Then factor in a shrinking of family owned learned trades and there is a perfect storm. As I was saying a program where students can learn trades as a way to say help pay for college would offer a fresh crop of people and statically a few will say oh I've found my career, but will have a college degree to fall back on when the physical wear and tear prevents them from continuing to do such a hard job.

This is my first post on here, though I've been a lurker for years.  

I don't know anything about this family, except for what I've read here, but my first thoughts on this event suggested a scenario entirely different than any others I've seen proposed.  What if the first shot he fired was an accident, and the second was a panicked attempt to hide what he'd done?  I keep thinking that he started to call 911, maybe to report a shooting by an intruder, and then realized there was someone else in the house and freaked out.  

Clearly i don't know what happened, but this was my first reaction to this news, and my mind keeps returning to it.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived