IGNORED

RIP Adam West

47of74

RIP Adam West

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/10/celebrities/obit-adam-west/index.html

Adam West, star of the popular and campy 1960s "Batman" TV show, died Friday night after "a short but brave battle with leukemia," his family said in a statement. He was 88.

In a signature role, West played Bruce Wayne and his alter ego, the crime-fighting, costumed Batman, a popular comics character who came to life on the ABC-TV series. The show, with a catchy -- some might say aggravating -- theme song, earned a cult following.

And in memory of Mr. West....

I'm really sad. He was my batman and that never changed no matter who else put on the cape. RIP.

Back in the seventies, one of our local television stations used to show reruns of Batman in the afternoons. One of the episodes had a cliffhanger where Batman had to hold his breath until the next episode. My older brother started laughing and telling me that Batman couldn't hold his breath until tomorrow, so he was going to die. I started bawling and yelling at him to take it back because I loved Batman. Our argument got so loud that Mother came into the room to see what in the hell was going on. 

My brother got in trouble for that stunt. I was just a little kid, and Mother didn't think it was fair of my brother to tell me that Batman was going to die.

RIP Mr. West. 

• 1 month later...

I had no idea that he lived in my home state of Idaho, Ketchum to be exact. It has been requested to honor his memory by donating to Camp Rainbow Gold to support kids with cancer as well as their families. Here is a photo of the Ketchum phone book when he lived there:

DB-0F2jVwAAgu8Y.jpg

Archived