IGNORED

Anna, Josh, & the Ever Multiplying M Kids, Part 11: His Cheating Heart

Coconut Flan

The brother of a friend of mine in high school was hit by a drunk driver while on his bike. He needed surgery to fix his shoulder but his skull was intact thanks to the helmet.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So on the other side of the "I never wore a helmet and I'm fine" argument, "I always wore a helmet and I'm fine." Oh god anecdotal evidence that is opposite of what they are saying! What shall we do? 

4 hours ago, Chewing Gum said:

Uhm, here in Holland where everyone bikes a lot, we only use one 3-5yo and then we don't. But then again we probably have different bicycle tracks?! 

this actually reminds of this one conversation I had with this dutch person in the spring. 

I saw her stepping on her bike and I noticed she did not have helmet so I asked her "where's your helmet?" She looked at me and said "I don't need helmet, I'm dutch" I replied Back "Welcome to my country in here dutch rules don't apply" 

I miss her at times, she was really fun and sometimes we just had some inside stuff that nobody pretty much understood,  for instance I always had to say "En kip (chicken)" to her if there was chicken for the lunch and "De koe (cow)" if there was food with cow meat in some form.

M Kid Number 5 Birth Pool

Names:

Gabriel Matthew- shock928 (wildcard)

James Robert “Little Jim Bob”- Mela99

Maccabee Joshua- Lurker

Machiah- aprilx(2)

Machiavelli- onekidanddone

Maddox- ihaveanexamintwodays

Malachi- singsingsing, SapphireSlytherin, clueless, mango_fandango, bananabread, aprilx

Malachi Joshua- MayMay1123

Malachi Nathaniel- eveandadam

Malachi Robert- Dogalog

Malakai Joshua- Million Children for Jesus (1)

Malcolm- ihaveaneamintwodays, Gillyweed

Malcolm Garrett- Taylurker

Manuel Christopher- freshlemonade

Mark- TeamDeFraudinSquad

Mark Isaiah- tsukinokawa

Marshall Joshua- Berty K

Martin- singsingsing (wildcard), VelociRapture(3), albanuadh_1(2)

Martin James- Markie, Melissa1977

Martin Robert- Kelsey (2)

Marvin- Greendoor, MadeItOut

Mason- Markie(3), ihaveanexamintwodays, singsingsing, VelociRapture (1), nickelodeon, MayTheWilberforceBeWithYou

Mason Daniel- Rachel333

Mason Joshua- pook, Jatalie1996 JDuggs          

Mason Robert- Kelsey, HRM1216 (2)

Mathias/Matthias- tabitha2

Matthias- KelseyAnn

Matthew- Markie(2), singsingsing, HarleyQuinn, albanuadh_1(1), JordynDarby5, Daisy0322, frugalitymom, AlwaysExcited, TeamDefraudinSquad(2)

Matthew Asher- Chewing Gum

Matthew Caleb- Million Children For Jesus(1)

Matthew David- VixenToast

Matthew Dobson- Dandruff

Matthew Hosea- The Wanderer

Matthew Isaiah- SorenaJ, anaandrade

Matthew James- sadiZ, VeryNikeSeamstress

Matthew John- NewSeasonOfLife

Matthew Joshua- JermajestyDuggar, anjulibai, Glasgowghirl, jerkit, viii, HRM1216. TuringMachine

Matthew Micah- ExposedKnees

Matthew Noah- Miggy

Matthew Paul- AlwaysExcited (1)

Matthew Robert- marmalade, VelociRapture, mango_fandango, adidas, season of life, AlwaysExcited(2)

Matthew Zachary- Million Children For Jesus (3)

Maverick- Honeysuckle

Max- onekidanddone

Maxwell Robert- Glasgowghirl  

Melchizedek- Audrey2

Melvin Issac- itqitc

Mepibostheth- Audrey2

Merrick John- Quiver Full of Kittens

Messiah Joshua- Jane M.

Methuselah- Audrey2

Micah- KelseyAnn (2)

Micah Matthew- shock928

Miles- singsingsing (wildcard), JoyJoy

Miles Gabriel- Suz8710

Milo-  So-Virgin-It-Hurts

Mitchell Robert- Gobsmacked

Mobert Mame- Pasta

Morgan Clement- habert

Morgan Freeman- dpndetfarm

Mortimer Chance- Hortense Peyrac

Moses- Carm_88, VelociRapture (2)

Moshe Joshua- OyToTheVey

Nathaniel Daniel- MissKnowItAll

Robert- Bad Wolf

William Matthew- NeverBeenKissed

William Zachery- MissKnowItAll

Date:

July 19th- season of life

July 20th- AlwaysExcited

July 21st- Miggy

July 24th- NewSeasonOfLife

July 25th- eveandadam

July 28th- Million Children For Jesus

July 29th- Taylurker

July 30th- Quiver Full of Kittens

July 31st- Vixen Toast

August 1st- The Wanderer

August 2nd- habert, adidas, Honeysuckle, ExposedKnees

August 3rd- Jatalie1996, MayMay112, OyToTheVey

August 4th- Kelsey

August 5th- sadiZ, Hortense Peyrac

Late Night August 5th/Early August 6th- VeryNikeSeamstress

Late Night August 6th/Early August 7th- MadeItOut

August 7th- Markie, freshlemonade, Daisy0322

August 8th- JDuggs, Gobsmacked, viii, pook (2:11am), TuringMachine

August 9th- aprilx

August 10th- anaandrade, Lurker, TeamDefraudinSquad

August 11th- JordynDarby5, Gillyweed, TeamDefraudinSquad, Jane M.

August 13th- MissKnowItAll, Suz8710

August 14th- JermajestyDuggar

August 15th- itqitc, So-Virgin-It-Hurts, albanuadh_1

August 16th- HRM1216

August 17th- Bad Wolf

August 18th- dpndetfarm

August 19th- Rachel333/SorenaJ

August 21st at 2am- KelseyAnn

August 22nd- Carm_88

August 24th- MayTheWilberforceBeWithYou

August 27th- tsukinokawa

August 28th- anjulibai

September 3rd- Chewing Gum

September 5th- frugalitymom

Weight

7lbs 3oz- viii

7lbs 6oz- OyToTheVey

7lbs 7oz- MissKnowItAll

7lbs 8oz- MadeItOut

7lbs 9oz- jerkit, pook

7lbs 12oz- Quiver Full of Kittens

7lbs 14oz- freshlemonade

8lbs- JermajestyDuggar, habert, anaandrade, So-Virgin-It-Hurts, albanuadh_1, AlwaysExcited, Jane M.

8lbs 1 oz- Rachel33, MayTheWilberforceBeWithYou, HRM1216

8lbs 2oz- adidas, Chewing Gum

8lbs 3oz- Daisy0322, Jatalie1996, Gillyweed, Bad Wolf, Gobsmacked, MayMay1123

8 lbs 4oz- Sorenaj, The Wanderer, anjulibai, itqitc, VeryNikeSeamstress

8lbs 5oz- Carm_88, aprilx

8lbs 6oz- NewSeasonOfLife, Suz8710

8lbs 7oz- dpndetfarm

8lbs 8oz- JDuggs, ExposedKnees, TuringMachine

8lbs 9oz- Taylurker, TeamDefraudinSquad

8lbs 10oz- Markie, Lurker, season of life

8lbs 11oz- Million Children For Jesus                

9lbs 1oz- VixenToast

8 pound range- KelseyAnn

Length

19 inches- MayTheWilberforceBeWithYou

20 inches- anaandrade, Jane M.

20.5 inches- AlwaysExcited, HRM1216

21 inches- The Wanderer, Gobsmacked, Lurker, itqitc, viii, Taylurker, pook

21.5 inches- Million Children For Jesus

22 inches- Daisy0322, Quiver Full of Kittens

Updated list!

My husband's biological father is (permenantly) mentally disabled because of head injuries he sustained as a little kid. When he was 2, he fell out of his high chair, and when he was 6, he fell off his bike while he wasn't wearing a helmet. Falling off of his bike, paired with his accident at age 2, was enough to permenantly damage his brain. He has an I.Q. of 72, so his personality reminds me of Forrest Gump, except if Forrest Gump was a pervert (his frontal lobe was the injured the worst in these falls, apparently.) 

So yeah...Josh and Anna really ought not to fuck around with safety like that. Josh's parents had 19 kids, but not a single one of them had a hand-me-down helmet to give them? Really?! Oh wait... its the Duggars, so God will save them, despite their recklessness.:pb_rollseyes: 

2 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Reminds me of my mother who kept insisting I lay my newborn child down on their stomach because he would sleep better. It's like "Hey mom, do you know why crib deaths dropped by more than 50% since I was born? Because they stopped doing that."

I seriously hate when older generations try to say we should do something their way because they lived. This generation is learning more about safety. Suck it up. 

When people say well my kids lived I always want to say yes, and some didn't, weren't you lucky.  I haven't said this yet, but I can feel it coming

2 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Reminds me of my mother who kept insisting I lay my newborn child down on their stomach because he would sleep better. It's like "Hey mom, do you know why crib deaths dropped by more than 50% since I was born? Because they stopped doing that."

I seriously hate when older generations try to say we should do something their way because they lived. This generation is learning more about safety. Suck it up. 

I did that with all of mine,laying them on their stomach.That's what we were told to do,then.Enter 1989 or 1990.My niece and nephews were born in 1993 and 1995.My mother was utterly appalled that my sister in law did not lay her babies on their stomachs but on their sides or back.She complained to me about.I told her that was what doctors told them to do..trying to remain neutral...I avoid conflict.My mother had been an infant nurse,in Germany,before she got married.In fact,my grandmother was a midwife,and used to take my mother along with her,if she could not find a babysitter.So she felt like she was the authority or something.She said the baby could choke if they spit up.Helmets were not like they are today.My son bought his ex girlfriend's son a helmet when he bought him a bike ,one Christmas...he wore it,a few times,then refused to wear it.

When I was a kid, one of my friends had a bike accident.  She wasn't being crazy or reckless.  She was riding near her house along a bike path that we rode on ALL the time.  But on this day, her bike hit a crack or lip in the path wrong, and she went flying off.  Her head and face went right into a curb, and because of the height, she was unable to catch herself or break the fall before she hit.  She ended up in the ICU with multiple facial fractures and deep gashes.  She needed a series of surgeries to repair her face.  All this, just from normal bike riding.

But WITHOUT A DOUBT she would have been dead without her helmet.  She kept that helmet.  I've seen it.  It is cracked in half.  That would have been HER SKULL without that helmet to take the impact.

All it takes is one rock, one crack, one edge, one lip, one tire slip and a child's life could be gone.  There should be NO excuses.  No helmet? No bike riding.  Period.  

I love the pics of Michael teaching Marcus to ride a bike.

My dad didn't teach me to ride a bike, and I never knew until right now that a dad was supposed to, or that it was some type of special parenting moment. He bought the bike and I was satisfied with that. The neighbor boys taught me to ride it. I don't think it was a parenting fail for Josh not to teach Marcus. I don't think a kid is slighted in any way if their dad didn't teach them to ride a bike. My Middle Son taught his little brother, Littlest Guy, to ride a bike, and it is one of my favorite, sweetest memories. Brotherly love. 

ETA: major edit, original way too long 

Exactly.Georgiana,I agree with you about bicycle helmets and I believe people who ride motorcycles should wear a helmet,too.

@Georgiana very similar experience when I was little. Went head over handlebars when cycling down a hill. Broken wrist, concussion and temporary blindness, and smashed my front teeth. Thank Rufus I had my helmet on.

2 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

When people say well my kids lived I always want to say yes, and some didn't, weren't you lucky.  I haven't said this yet, but I can feel it coming

I've said it. 

Grew up before there were bike helmets. Taught myself to ride a bike when I was four - just so I could keep up with the neighborhood kids.

My parents later bought me a bike, but not the one I really wanted (I wanted that banana seat AND the high-rise handle bars). Instead, I got a miniature version of my mom's bike, even though it cost more than the one I wanted. (I'm still bitter, huh?)

BUT:  My daughter never EVER rode her bicycle without a helmet. Until she was at her dad's one weekend and she wiped out. Landed on her face. Broke two front teeth (one of which had have a root canal when she was only 8), and which has now been replaced with an implant. No helmet, but it wouldn't have helped because she landed full on her mouth/chin. :/

1 hour ago, melon said:

I did that with all of mine,laying them on their stomach.That's what we were told to do,then.Enter 1989 or 1990.My niece and nephews were born in 1993 and 1995.My mother was utterly appalled that my sister in law did not lay her babies on their stomachs but on their sides or back.She complained to me about.I told her that was what doctors told them to do..trying to remain neutral...I avoid conflict.My mother had been an infant nurse,in Germany,before she got married.In fact,my grandmother was a midwife,and used to take my mother along with her,if she could not find a babysitter.So she felt like she was the authority or something.She said the baby could choke if they spit up.Helmets were not like they are today.My son bought his ex girlfriend's son a helmet when he bought him a bike ,one Christmas...he wore it,a few times,then refused to wear it.

My children are all far apart in age.  in 1990 with my first, stomach sleeping was still in.  in 1995 with my second, side sleeping was in.  In 2002 and 2008 when the boys were born, back sleeping was in.  However, because the youngest was a preemie and spent a short time in the NICU he would only sleep on his stomach.  They let him sleep that way there, because he was hooked up to all sorts of monitors and if he had a problem they could have helped him.  The problem is that once you bring a NICU baby home who is accustomed to sleeping that way there are only so many days you can go without sleep.  I had to let him sleep on his stomach because the alternative was that neither of us slept.  ever.

10 minutes ago, Swamptribe said:

I've said it. 

How did they respond?  My MIL and her boyfriend are not the kind of people who would take that well...

My son's ex allows her child to ride his bike without a helmet.She rides with bikers without a helmet,and her children are not always wearing their seatbelts..not my business...I always thought she was ignorant.

My parents would never let us leave the house unless they knew we had our helmets on, even if it was in the backyard. Although we haven't been on them on a while it's something that is still drilled in my head. I remember one time my twin brother complained because he didn't like how he couldn't just wear his hat and it was covered by a helmet and my mom was like "yes cause it's so cool to have your brain lying on the streets instead". He never complained again:lol:

Last year my husband must have taken our daughter (6) out to teach her to ride her bike multiple times a week all summer long (I was happily watching from the camping chair holding our newborn twins - no running for me!). Our daughter just refused to get it. You could see that if she just kept going she'd get it. But she'd get frustrated, get nervous, and decide she was done. Fast forward to this Spring and one day she asked me to teach her. Unfortunately, the twins were screaming their heads off so I asked a neighbor friend of Abby's (10) to run her up the street until I could come out. Half an hour later I came out and our daughter was riding her bike like she'd been doing it all her life. 

But always with helmets. She took a tumble two months ago that ended up breaking her arm. Had she not had her helmet on I really think she would have been hurt worse than she was. 

23 hours ago, zenbaby said:

Going with a heathen music theme:

Morrissey

Macklemore

Mellencamp

Don't forget Metallica, Megadeth, Marilyn Manson, Ministry, Muse, and Madonna.

Throwing in my totally random prediction: Malachi Daniel, August 7th, 7lb 8 Oz

Regarding learning to ride a bike, had to teach one foster child to ride at age 12 because no one ever taught child how to do anything....and I mean anything.....

One child in family continues to struggle learning to ride bikes. I later found out that it can be more difficult because of autism. 

Helmets are always used.

@WiseGirl We had foster kids age 12 and 16 who had never ridden bikes. The 16 year old was attempting to ride her brother's bike and crashed. We had to go to the emergency room, and they of course asked if she was wearing a helmet. Not only was she wearing a helmet, she still had training wheels. Bruised ribs. When we finally got the training wheels off (she was very small, about the size of a 6 year old) she screamed. She was so excited. Felt like she was flying. Great memory.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived