IGNORED

Joy and Austin: Pikes Peak or Bust?

Coconut Flan

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Why is there a "y" in Austin's middle name?:my_confused:

Creative spelling, same reason Jinger starts with a J instead of G, lol. 

26 minutes ago, itqitc said:

Creative spelling, same reason Jinger starts with a J instead of G, lol. 

Martin-with-a-Y is the Celtic spelling of the name, common in Cornwall, Wales, Ireland. Perfectly standard and acceptable alternative spelling. Now whether his parents are referencing some Celtic heritage, or just being kre8ive, I don't know... 

25 minutes ago, bal maiden said:

Martin-with-a-Y is the Celtic spelling of the name, common in Cornwall, Wales, Ireland. Perfectly standard and acceptable alternative spelling. Now whether his parents are referencing some Celtic heritage, or just being kre8ive, I don't know... 

What I have learned on here about fundie families it probably some creative spelling on their part. Make it special :)

Maybe his middle name is honoring someone with the same spelling. I actually wondered the same myself, but I think we can only speculate unless Austin personally tells us himself.

1 hour ago, bal maiden said:

Martin-with-a-Y is the Celtic spelling of the name,

Spouse of a Brit here:  Mr. Slytherin has two (also British) friends named Marti(y)n. We differentiate them by saying "Martin" and "Martin-with-a-Y" in conversation.

11 hours ago, Jug Band Baby said:

I'm convinced they did.  Astin Martin and Austin Martyn are too close for me to believe anything else.

I genuinely  don't know what I'd find more amusing: If they did name him after a car or if the thought that they were going to call their son almost exactly like a car didn't occur to them.

11 hours ago, Jug Band Baby said:

I'm convinced they did.  

I'm not. My reasoning:  these people may not even have heard of an Aston Martin (assuming they're as sheltered as any other fundie with limited/no access to the real world).

29 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I'm not. My reasoning:  these people may not even have heard of an Aston Martin (assuming they're as sheltered as any other fundie with limited/no access to the real world).

Same, haha. Isn't Martyn a biblical character of sorts? I'm having random college-class flashbacks of Marti/yn being the guy who shared his cloak with a beggar. 

There was a girl I was in marching band with years ago whose name is Ashton (Elizabeth) Martin, she says her parents thought the car similarity was "nifty" lol

20 minutes ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

Same, haha. Isn't Martyn a biblical character of sorts? I'm having random college-class flashbacks of Marti/yn being the guy who shared his cloak with a beggar. 

There was a girl I was in marching band with years ago whose name is Ashton (Elizabeth) Martin, she says her parents thought the car similarity was "nifty" lol

Henry Martyn was a famous Anglican missionary.... 

13 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

But I'm still trying to figure out how you go from sex is filthy dirty disgusting sin, it must never be thought about talked about, done. 

Perhaps they are taught that sex is ONLY GOOD AFTER MARRIAGE.   Before the I do's it is filthy, dirty and disgusting.  

A new video was posted on the Counting On facebook page of Joy and Austin the day before the wedding.

I think they look good together, and hope they will be happy! I don't have a television service, but I hope I'll be able to watch the wedding episode soon on Youtube. 

On 6/4/2017 at 10:50 AM, ja14 said:

Do you think all these fundie couples actually have sex on their wedding night? It must be hard going from a first kiss to that all in one day!

I have (admittedly) thought about this before, and I think Jill, Jinger, and Anna probably did do everything on their wedding night, but only because (I am guessing...) Josh, Derrick, and Jeremy had "experience" in that area before they got married (my apologies for the mental images that might have conjured :brainbleach:.)

Having said that though, I've long suspected Jessa and Bin waited a few months after their wedding to consumate their marriage, and I wouldn't be surprised if Austin and Joy did the same thing. Bin and Austin are the only two male Duggar-in laws that seemed like they could have actually been virgins when they got married, just judging by their parents and how they were both raised. Plus, the thought that sex is evil and dirty doesn't automatically disappear just because you got married and its OK now, either, so I imagine they'd need some time to let the fact that they're married fully sink in before they feel comfortable/like they've been "good" enough to enjoy sex with each other.

I can relate to that, but in a slightly different way. My mom had my older sister as a teenager, so all I heard from her growing up was, "Don't get pregnant! Having babies is VERY hard work and is VERY expensive!" But now that I'm 28, married, and have a good job, and its "OK" to have kids, I'm still scared and hesitant to have children, because all I heard growing up was how bad things would happen to me if I had kids. I imagine its similar with fundies, except with sex being the bad no-no instead of having babies. It must be a complete mind fuck as a newly-wed. 

1 hour ago, MoonFace said:

Perhaps they are taught that sex is ONLY GOOD AFTER MARRIAGE.   Before the I do's it is filthy, dirty and disgusting.  

I've read a lot of ex-Fundy stuff talking about how damaging this kind of teaching was to them.  They are taught sex is dangerous, emotionally and physcially, gives you diseases, makes you a chewed piece of gum, that it's only for sluts before marriage, it's massively disrespectful for young men to find young women sexy, and all sexual feelings are sins... until BAM! "I do" and now it's meant to be the best thing in the world.  But the switch in their brain can't flip that easily, and the man feels like he's a huge pervert, and the woman has been endlessly taught that nice girls don't even have these feelings - and it's all a horror.

(I have a secular USA friend who had particularly abstinence-only sex ed, coupled with being abused, that made being sexual especially difficult for her - and I think we all know about Jaycee Dugard talking about how the "used up tissue"/"chewed gum" metaphors meant that she was worthless because of her abuse, so shouldn't be rescued)

25 minutes ago, Lurky said:

(I have a secular USA friend who had particularly abstinence-only sex ed, coupled with being abused, that made being sexual especially difficult for her - and I think we all know about Jaycee Dugard talking about how the "used up tissue"/"chewed gum" metaphors meant that she was worthless because of her abuse, so shouldn't be rescued)

I always attributed that metaphor becoming famous to Elizabeth Smart going public with her story. It made more sense to me with her coming from a conservative Mormon culture. But, Jaycee's story is just as horrific. no argument there.

@CreationMuseumSeasonPass TBH I probably got the name wrong, because I didn't want to google too deeply, as the stories are so upsetting, so it was a bit dumb of me to start we "we all know..."!  But thanks, yes, I think you're right.

1 hour ago, TeamDefraudinSquad said:

I think Jill, Jinger, and Anna probably did do everything on their wedding night, but only because (I am guessing...) Josh, Derrick, and Jeremy had "experience" in that area before they got married (my apologies for the mental images that might have conjured :brainbleach:.)

Having said that though, I've long suspected Jessa and Bin waited a few months after their wedding to consumate their marriage, and I wouldn't be surprised if Austin and Joy did the same thing. 

Derick probably kissed before he met Jill but I doubt it went further than that and I don't consider what Josh was doing made him 'experienced' either.  As for Ben and Jessa there's this from their honeymoon.  Doesn't look like they could wait a few months.

1 hour ago, TeamDefraudinSquad said:

I have (admittedly) thought about this before, and I think Jill, Jinger, and Anna probably did do everything on their wedding night, but only because (I am guessing...) Josh, Derrick, and Jeremy had "experience" in that area before they got married (my apologies for the mental images that might have conjured :brainbleach:.)

Having said that though, I've long suspected Jessa and Bin waited a few months after their wedding to consumate their marriage, and I wouldn't be surprised if Austin and Joy did the same thing. *snip*

just to say this: the thought of qualifying what Josh did to his sisters as "experience" completely grosses me out even more than the reality of those molestations - like he truly didn't repent (questionable) and tried to do to Anna what he did to them (hell no i hope not). 

I do expect that the Smuggars went 0 to 60 on night 1, because Josh is desperate to get it and Anna is desperate to please. Same with Jill and Derick - they've said Derick had kissed before, but I'm fairly certain he was still a virgin (having seen plennnnty of awkward AF 20-something conservative/highly Christian "real" college grads...yep). JinJer I could see wanting/trying to go all the way at once but acknowledging the need for patience; Jeremy seems like the most patient and naturally tender of all the husbands for sure. Benessa for sure happened during by the end of the honeymoon based on their words/actions in context, but probably not all on night one, based of how awkward-teenager Ben was and not-touchy-feely Jessa seems to be. JoStin probably somewhere between JinJer (given Austin's lines on self-sacrifice and burdens/treasures) & the awkward teenager thing lol. 

8 minutes ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

just to say this: the thought of qualifying what Josh did to his sisters as "experience" completely grosses me out even more than the reality of those molestations - like he truly didn't repent (questionable) and tried to do to Anna what he did to them (hell no i hope not). 

Oh gosh, I was actually thinking about the the rumors Josh had been seen at strip clubs in Springdale before he got married, but I definitely didn't make that clear in my last post. I apologize if I alarmed anyone with that phrasing! 

Just jumping in here to say that my youngest child is named Rhys.  We are in the US.  It is a Welsh name, so this is not a tryndee superfluous y.  It is extremely unusual for anyone to pronounce his name correctly on the first try (just by reading his name).  However, once they know how to say it everyone thinks it is so new and wants to know how we "came up" with the spelling.  I have a friend that was born in the US and grew up in New Zealand.  She knew the name Rhys right away and told me to watch out for him because he was likely to be a super hot BMX racer.  Whatever that means, but at least she didn't act like we made up his name.

2 minutes ago, Elvis Presby said:

Just jumping in here to say that my youngest child is named Rhys.  We are in the US.  It is a Welsh name, so this is not a tryndee superfluous y.  It is extremely unusual for anyone to pronounce his name correctly on the first try (just by reading his name).  However, once they know how to say it everyone thinks it is so new and wants to know how we "came up" with the spelling.  I have a friend that was born in the US and grew up in New Zealand.  She knew the name Rhys right away and told me to watch out for him because he was likely to be a super hot BMX racer.  Whatever that means, but at least she didn't act like we made up his name.

I went to school with 3 different Rhys's! Coincidently, they all grew up to be super hot BMX racers so watch out!

There is a guy at my work called Reece who got very confused why I spelt his name wrong the first time we met.

There's also a reasonably well known New Zealand actor called Rhys Darby, so that probably helps the name association. :)

31 minutes ago, Elvis Presby said:

Hi! I would absolutely pronounce his name correctly - my middle name is an Anglicized version of Rhys (techically ap Rhys/son of Rhys). My first name is also an Anglicized version of a Gaelic name. I have some Welsh, Irish, and Scottish ancestors, but my parents weren't thinking of that when they named me - my first name came from a family friend and my middle name was my grandmother's maiden name.

Are we actually now speculating on when these people first had sex?  Surely it isn't remotely possible to have an informed opinion on this subject?  Yikes. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived