IGNORED

Jinjer: Shopping in Bookstores

Coconut Flan

Okay I'm sure I missed something but...what is up with fundies hating Catholics...? They both believe Jesus is the son of God and the path to salvation. Isn't that all it takes to get into Heaven in their book....??? I'm so confused. How are Catholics the main focus when there are so many other religions in the world (and atheists!)...........???????? Fundie logic is so weird.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's an evangelical thing. I've noticed the slight microaggressions from my church (non denominal evangelical church-- still wondering why my family liberal's ass is still there). I think it comes to Catholics "worshiping" in fundies/evangelical eyes in regards to the saints. It's so ridiculous.

39 minutes ago, bananabread said:

Okay I'm sure I missed something but...what is up with fundies hating Catholics...? 

It's not just the fundamentalists. It's pretty common among conservative Evangelicals. The Presbyterian minister of my parents' church wouldn't marry me and Mr.SubsaharanAfrica because as a Catholic, he obviously wasn't a Christian.

On 6/7/2017 at 4:37 AM, VeganCupcake said:

Lord, they cannot dress lol. Btw interesting Jinger is wearing a skirt…I hope it's not because she feels pressured to do so in religious situations like meeting with this pastor guy. 

If they're in a church, most definitely. It took me years to enter a church without a skirt/dress on. Deprogramming usually takes quite some time.

On 6/8/2017 at 9:32 AM, louisa05 said:
Well, I think that is going to depend on the guy and the ages you are both at when you begin dating. There can be a bigger difference between 28 and 22 than between 38 and 32. That is the life stages thing that I read about being a road block in relationships when it comes to age differences.

For me, it's more that Macron's wife was his teacher than it is the age difference.

Just gonna throw this out there. Someone else posted this elsewhere so I went to listen to it. Jeremy preached a sermon about missionaries.... Which makes it appear like he is not on board with the way the Dillard's have handled their missioncations. So this is a quote out of Jeremy's sermon. 

"How many people have thought, well there's an open door so I must run through it.... When they've never been established by a local church, they've never been confirmed by the people of God as possessing certain gifts? They're just lone ranger types running around solo asking churches for money to support them [through] this open door..... Not every open door is to run through, for every person. The fact is God often does open doors but in the wise words of J. Adams, remember, 'some open doors lead to elevator shafts.' So just because there is an open door doesn't mean you run through it.....
"On the other hand we have unqualified, uncalled, unconfirmed, unsent zealots. Who are so anxious to be used by God that they impatiently run through the first open door they find, and then can, and do cause more damage than they do good...... What is our problem today? There are many open doors. In fact there are many open doors like never before. Do you have $800 in your bank account? Tomorrow you can be in Nepal preaching to people who have never heard of Jesus in their life.... We have many who desire to go but are unqualified to do so. 
"There is the issue of many who grow zealous without growing up... And they want to abandon it all for the gospel, including abandoning all their responsibilities, their diligence, their studies, their holiness..... They expect their church to support them on a full salary, so they can run out to the amazon, live in the jungle on this fantastical missionary lifestyle... But they don't want to work to support themselves, give themselves to study, or give themselves to the necessary abandoning of comfort required to do damage to your flesh... It's the problem of those who grow zealous but they haven't grown up. "

@Fluffy14 Damn, that's pretty scathing. From what I gathered, his whole point from the "Human Responsibility in Establishing God's Church" Sermon Series was primarily about the need for evangelization. More specifically evangelizing in a way that was "strategic". He uses a positive example of christians trying to evangelize syrian refugee at refugee checkpoints. 

While I don't like the Dullards AT ALL and absolutely do not support their ineffective version of "missionary work", Jeremey has NO place to criticize them. He literally calls for his church to stand on the side of freeways, parkways, and go door to door to try and convert people in Laredo. According to Jeremy there is serious spiritual warfare going in Laredo, and if you aren't 100% on board that's the devil trying to keep you from proclaiming the WURD. It's not that Laredo is a border town that has a sizeable population that's socially and economically disadvantaged for a myriad of really really complex reasons; NO IT CAUSE DA DEVEIL!!!1! I quote verbatim "In this city [Laredo] we have the pagan religion of catholicism gripping the souls of the majority". Fuck you; you're just upset that the Dullards are so bad at evangelizing they don't actually convert the souls of any of the evil demonic catholics. (He does imply that demons/satan/forces of evil use the Catholic church to deceive people from the "real" God)

Those videos left me all kinds of ruffled feathers, so I'm going to rant a bit more. For more snarky pleasure, here's the world's religions according to Jeremey. 

According to Jeremey to be saved in ...

Catholicism: "tell's you to clean up your life a adequately perform the sacramental duties" (wat is he even talking about)

Islam: "Follow Islam, do enough good deeds to outweigh your bad, and perhaps Allah will allow you to his paradise but even then you can't be certain. ... The only way you can be certain of paradise is for you to die in Jihad. 

Hinduism: "Though varying and ever changing the requirements, they teach salvation through bathing in a sacred river or uttering mantras or prayers. "

Judaism: "The Message of salvation for those who claim to be Jews but are not (LOL WHAT) commands you to do your best to be righteous in keeping the law, found in the Torah ... *sarcastically* just do your best"

Summary: "All of these and the thousands of other religions and sects that come out of and veer off of the major religions (HA - like your church that's based on reformed theology that veered from protestant reformation which broke off from catholicism) demand salvation from within yourself but that leaves you despaired and lost sinking in the pit of depravity."

So not only does he have practically not deeper understanding of ANY major World Religions; he doesn't even to have much context or understanding of the history of his own. Ignorant, self-righteous twat. 

Heights: My mom was 5'7" and my dad was 5'5". Mom wore heels whenever she pleased and dad didn't give a damn. I'm a bit taller than my father and shorter than my mother. My children's heights are interesting. My daughter is 5'2" on a good day if she stands up real straight. Her sperm donor was 6' or so. #1 son is 6'1". His sperm donor was 5'8". #2 son is 5'7". His sperm donor is 5'10". My husband is a hair under 6' tall. 

Books: I have 2 bookcases FULL of books...I need another one. The one bookcase I have is from Ikea and looks like it has a bunch of cubbyholes. The other one is a sort of "standard" bookcase. I'm getting ready to confiscate the one that has DVDs in it...which will happen when we have the $ to buy another one for DVDs OR the new entertainment center I want. 

Catholicism vs. the rest of the world...I'm an X-RC. My reasons for leaving are many...some personal, some theological (not a debate I care to have with anyone)...however, I will not put the RCC down for spurious reasons and still correct people who get it wrong. 

Jeremy and Grace Community Church...that's John McArthur's outfit...I can't find too much to complain about with him...

Wow!  When did he preach that sermon? Has it been since he has known Dwreck? Mentioning both Nepal and the "Amazon" and expecting a full salary I would have though some one from here wrote that.   Of course if you read all the other crap then no but it's kinda hard to miss Dwreck's resume in there.

11 hours ago, Fluffy14 said:

Just gonna throw this out there. Someone else posted this elsewhere so I went to listen to it. Jeremy preached a sermon about missionaries.... Which makes it appear like he is not on board with the way the Dillard's have handled their missioncations. So this is a quote out of Jeremy's sermon.

Damn, that is some unsubtle Derick shade.

Jeremy's an intolerant asshole with his anti-Catholicism, but I do appreciate some good shade.

Wow. I wondered (about Joy's wedding) why he didn't post one of Derick and himself on instagram. Just Ben (who loves books too), and his new brother Austin. Guess he really doesn't like the guy! 

8 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Damn, that is some unsubtle Derick shade.

Jeremy's an intolerant asshole with his anti-Catholicism, but I do appreciate some good shade.

Lol he shaded Derick so hard. But don't ALL preachers expect the church to support them on a full salary? Why does it matter who they're preaching to if that's all they're doing. Perhaps Jeremy and his church are involved in some organized, well-run, genuinely helpful charity activities of which I'm not aware? I know they provide free meals sometimes after church so that's a start……

What I don't understand about the Fundies, is how they make their brand of Christianity sound so damn unpalatable?  There's never anything about joy, happiness, finding fulfillment, helping to make the world a better place.  I'm an atheist, and it is BIZARRE to me how they think they can attract people like me by trying to make me scared of hellfire - it's the equivalent of the politics of fear in the UK and USA's right wings.

The Christians I know talk about their faith as this positive force in their lives, that helps them to be better people, and help other people.  They don't see people in other denominations or religions as terrible heathens, but recognise that their commonalities.  I really respect that - people who live their faiths, and don't do this smug, judgemental "only we're right" bullshit.

I just don't get how the language of evil, Satan, demons, sin, hellfire, and every one apart from this tiny sect being evil, bad, wrong, stupid etc etc is supposed to attract people.  Their lives seem so focused on negativity, and why on earth would people want to join that?

6 hours ago, Lurky said:

What I don't understand about the Fundies, is how they make their brand of Christianity sound so damn unpalatable?

Intrinsic vs. Extrinsic motivation? In-group/out-group? Intrinsic motivation is difficult; you have to be able to think abstractly and very far ahead into the future, and appreciate benefits that may not be tangible to you or to anyone else. Extrinsic motivation is a lot easier cognitively, IMO: do these things and then X will happen. If you don't do these things then you are punished. Simple cause and effect. I feel like it's a chicken-and-egg situation; fundamentalists preach this very simplistic, hateful version of religion, and to keep people sucked in, they discourage abstract, critical thought (or thinking at all), which makes people more receptive to this "I do X because I don't want Y to happen" way of thinking. It's also in-group/out-group: it's very easy to create an "us" by creating a "them". Make people fear "them" by saying that "they" are bad, evil, and will be punished for doing things "their" way. But "our" way is good and you have to do things "our" way if you don't want to be like "them" and go to hell.

Okay, I think Jeremy is a POS as well, but that sermon SCREAMED Duhlards. 

To sum it up in gif form:

Spoiler

KUNVwyE.gif

6 hours ago, Fluffy14 said:

They're just lone ranger types running around solo asking churches for money to support them [through] this open door..... Not every open door is to run through, for every person.

Jeremy throwing serious shade. That explains this: 

No Derick. lol

"You know what's bigger than Aids? Sin." - This honestly sounds like something someone would say as a joke. I can't believe that came out of his mouth.

Well actually I can, because Jeremy always seemed like the scariest and most controlling of the Duggar-in-laws.

I'm not shocked that Jeremy is an asshole. I'm not shocked that he shaded the Dullards, I couldn't see Jeremy and Dirty Jesus getting along very well. They may believe many of the same shitty things but they want to spread their shitty, asshole beliefs in different ways. 

Summary: Jeremy and Derick are both assholes but they got about it in different ways. 

10 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I'm not shocked that Jeremy is an asshole. I'm not shocked that he shaded the Dullards, I couldn't see Jeremy and Dirty Jesus getting along very well. They may believe many of the same shitty things but they want to spread their shitty, asshole beliefs in different ways. 

Summary: Jeremy and Derick are both assholes but they got about it in different ways. 

In the drama-fight between the two of them, it's a little like Alien vs. Predator -- whoever wins, we lose.

But as I said, I will always appreciate some top-quality shade.

@Fluffy14 Thank you for posting. Do you happen to know when he preached that sermon? I'm really curious if it was after he met the Dillards. If you don't remember though it's ok, the message is still the same either way even if he didn't specifically have Derick in mind at the time- he thinks people like the Dillards are irresponsible, immature, and overzealous.

15 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

In the drama-fight between the two of them, it's a little like Alien vs. Predator -- whoever wins, we lose.

But as I said, I will always appreciate some top-quality shade.

Can Kirk Cameron direct this awful movie? ;) 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived