IGNORED

Jinjer: Shopping in Bookstores

Coconut Flan

14 minutes ago, CorruptionInc. said:

I agree books are important.

I own hundreds as well. They move with me from place to place, some come, some go, but all have been read. Sometimes several times. 

If Jinger is allowed to read, she can expand her imagination. Because she's a Duggar, maybe only to a certain extent, but you never know...

Looking at my huge stash of books, I was encouraged to read "If it's books, it's not hoarding". 

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JKR did say explicitly that homeschooling is permitted in the wizarding world. It was mentioned when Umbridge outlawed it. Wouldn't it have been great if there had been a plot line about all the homeschooled fundie wizard kids suddenly showing up at Hogwarts? But that book was enormous already. 

My take on the Sorting Hat's verdicts on the Duggars (does somebody want to make up a little song?):

JB&M - JB is a Squib and still pissed off about it. Michelle is a Muggle.

Amy - Gryffindor. Being so different from her uncle's family gave her courage to be herself.

Josh - Slytherin, obviously.

Anna, Jana, & JD - Hufflepuff

Jill - Hufflepuff, but the Hat gave serious thought to Slytherin.

Derek - Gryffindor. Courage is his best quality.

Jessa - Slytherin

Ben - a Muggle who thinks the wizard thing is totes cool

Jinger - In honor of her newfound love of reading, Ravenclaw.

Jeremy - Ravenclaw

Joe - Gryffindor (not quite sure why)

Kendra - probably Hufflepuff

Josiah - Ravenclaw 

Joy - Hufflepuff

Austin - probably Hufflepuff 

Jedediah & Jeremiah - Currently rooming together in Gryffindor and studying for OWLs.

Jason, James, Justin, and Jackson - Probably running around the Hufflepuff common room. No one has checked recently.

Hannie - On the Gryffindor Quiddich team.  She's good with a broom.

Jenny, Jordyn, and Josie haven't gotten their letters yet.  There's a house elf hiding in the commercial kitchen.

3 hours ago, Lurky said:

I know you'll all hate me, but can I just say how much I have always hated the whole Sorting malarky?  It really, really annoys me that in JKR's world, kids are labelled and put into Houses and told "this is what your personality is like" and can never, ever change, and then get judged for the rest of their lives.  Hell, I hated my school, where what you were like at 11 was what you were supposed to be like at 16 (sporty/not sporty etc) but at least we could change that (eg being musical, but don't want to sing in choirs any more/can give up hockey even though good at it) - but in the Potter universe, you're branded for life.  

It's just such a weakness, IMO - no kid can change, and it's not helped by how JKR writes it as Gryffindor being the best of the best. 

She kind of addresses that a little in the last book. Dumbledore says to Snape that he sometimes think they sort the students too early. It's the chapter where Harry views Snape's memories.

And I don't think people are really judged forever by their House. Yeah Slytherin gets a bad rap as the only House to produce Dark Wizards, but it also produced good witches and wizards - like Merlin, Slughorn, and Regulus Black. 

I don't know much about Harry Potter, but I know enough to know that Priscilla Waller would be a Hufflepuff. 

7 hours ago, WhoompThereItIs said:

Which is why I love reading fanfiction from Snape's POV.

I have read some crazy hot Snape fanfic. 

@Escadora - are you familiar with Lost in Adaptation, a youtube series that talks about the differences between the books and the film versions?  After discovering that I've actually started to enjoy picking out the differences and thinking about them rather than getting foot-stampy.  Most of the time, anyway...

Books AND MoMA?!? Mind blown. 

ETA: Not only were they at MoMa the painting is by Duchamp.....I don't understand a universe where a Duggar grandchild is in front of a Duchamp.

7 hours ago, SamiKatz said:

And Bigfoot.

Don't forget santa

Just want to say I love the current drift, big hp fan and even read the horrible book of the play.  

I think Jana is ravenclaw, mainly on basis of the "evolution makes sense" remark, from way back when. What if she was raised by parents that value education. She could have cured cancer!!!!

(I know I go way over board, just a nice fantasy)

I'm huffelpuff. 

4 minutes ago, Dutchie said:

Don't forget santa

Yes, but Santa is real. Derick was a douche last Christmas and obviously knows nothing. And to think I once thought he was OK. :sigh:

8 hours ago, Letizia said:
Books AND MoMA?!? Mind blown.

ETA: Not only were they at MoMa the painting is by Duchamp.....I don't understand a universe where a Duggar grandchild is in front of a Duchamp.

I'm happy to see Duggar relatives getting exposed to some culture. Perhaps they're teaching Spurgie about colours and shapes.

@VelociRapture regarding your post about most people not doing good things for the right reasons so true!!!  My grandpa recently died and I got a lot of praise from the entire family about spending a lot of time at his dead bed.  Felt really uncomfortable, he has had dementia for the last 10 years and had not had a clue who most of us where for the last 5 years at least. He was not very loved in the family, so most of them didn't show up much. I did it partially out of guilt for not showing up enough the last years and partially because the taught of ME dieying all alone was horrible so I didn't want anybody to go trough that.  So basically pure selfishness, even tough it looked very altruistic.

@treehugger how do you get your kids to accept new books, mine just want me to read the same one every time. Grrrr, I love books, but by now I can close my eyes and tell them the story with some of them from memory, including page turning. 

I put way too much thought into this. 

JimBob: Slytherin. Street-smart. Somehow always gets, what he wants without working - people give him money and tv show, build a house for him, hide his sons crimes. After said crimes come to light, he STILL manages to get a tv show. And somehow he is the one suing not being sued. Practical, adaptable, not very interested in morals. 

Michelle: surprisingly, Gryffindor. Open and loud about what she believes in. (Hey, no one said Gryffindors had to believe in good thing or had to be right.) Technically lives according to her own moral code. Values her "greater good" over people, even her own children. Willing to sacrifice (her family, her own sanity) and suffer (million pregnancies, living in tiny house for years, serving only rice for dinner) to reach, what she believes in. Willing to die for it (she said she wouldn't have an abortion even if pregnancy killed her - in contrast JimBob admitted he would he would get her an abortion, if she was dying and unconscious.)

Josh: Slytherin, but so much less good at it than his father. Hides behind daddy. Basically, Draco Malfoy in early years. 

Anna, Jana and JD: Not sure. JD is intriguing guy as he has managed to get a job, a house and a plane, but still is unmarried. Slytherin? Practical and planning Ravenclaw, getting the best out of situation? No idea. Jana gives Ravenclaw-ish vibes sometimes. 

Jill: Gryffindor. No, really. She wants to do good, even if she is terribly bad at it. She does care about other people and their salvation, even if we find her beliefs stupid. She was raised to believe the outside world is pure evil, yet she goes and tries to "save" it... In her own way. 

Derrick: Also, Gryffindor. 

Jessa: Slytherin. There seems to be a common agreement on this. She would do well in Ravenclaw as well. 

Ben: little wanna-be-Ravenclaw.

Jinger: most classy and creative of Duggars, with newfound interest in reading. Original, as far as fundies go. Ravenclaw.  

I've never read anything from Harry Potter. Do I have to go to the prayer closet now for admitting this? ;-)

BEC time! Jinjer need to lay off the photo editing on these IG photos. 

7 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

@Escadora - are you familiar with Lost in Adaptation, a youtube series that talks about the differences between the books and the film versions?  After discovering that I've actually started to enjoy picking out the differences and thinking about them rather than getting foot-stampy.  Most of the time, anyway...

Actually this is the first I've heard of it. I'm definitely going to check it out, though, thank you for mentioning it :D

I think there are a few things I'll always wish could have made it into the movies. I know Rik Mayall  was going to have played Peeves at some point and I really think that would have been awesome. 

But yeah, I think there are always going to be some things that people get foot-stampy about when it comes to adaptations, but the bright side is that at least we have imagination and can think about what might have been. 

15 hours ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

i think many of them legitimately believe their lifestyle is their salvation and they love the way they live. If parading all the best parts of their brand of christianity for the world to see and hopefully convert, counts as conniving and slytherin-ish....well, that puts just about all fundies and evangelicals in that house.

I'll be honest and admit I don't know enough about sorting to say they are Slytherins, but the thing about the Bates is that they don't actually really live the life they sell to others. They aren't living the typical fundie, ATI life and I bet if they did they would really wouldn't be loving it. They get the power and glory of being the "perfect" ATI family without actually having to live like a typical ATI family. If they were stuck back in the tiny house, begging people to give them food and clothes and no one asking them to travel and give speeches, do you really think they would believe in the lifestyle and love they way live? 

According to the quiz I'm Hufflepuff. 

I'm impressed by the MOMA visit. I never in a billion years would've thought any Duggar would appreciate modern art. The evangelical press used to rail against non-representational art (especially with religious/anti-religious themes) - it was all sinful or an effacement of creation or something.

1 hour ago, BemusedByFundamentalism said:

I've never read anything from Harry Potter. Do I have to go to the prayer closet now for admitting this? ;-)

Yes :P 

1 hour ago, BemusedByFundamentalism said:

Yes, and your punishment is you can only come out after you finish the 1st book. 

Another Ravenclaw. While irrelevant, we brought home a grey rescue kitty last month and the boyfriend wanted to name her after the Grey Lady or something to do with Ravenclaw. So she's Diadem!

I agree with most of the assessments, but wonder if Jeremy would have been a hat stall? Here's why:

There's both bravery and intelligence involved in his own journey out of a fundie homeschool upbringing to college, grad school, professional soccer. He's definitely a thinker and has lots of books, but I can't decide if he's a bit Slytherin or Gryffindor for how he's broken the husband mold and isn't tied in/ reliant on Jim Bob. It was very obvious he wasn't playing by Jim Bob's rules, whether Jim Bob quite caught on that it was all on Jeremy's terms or not is up for debate. JB definitely showed frustration with him at times, like when he wouldn't discuss his salary. Plus, I do think he and Jinger are taking a very calculated and measured approach to creating their own distinct image for his work and long term goals. They won't be in Laredo forever and I heavily doubt they'll move to Arkansas just to be close to the rest.

Jinger: I'll go with Gryffindor, she reminds me of Ginny, when Hermione is explaining Ginny's good at quidditch because she would break into the broomshed and borrow all of her brother's brooms. She's wearing pants and even when she was younger was all about adamantly wanting more than Arkansas. 

Josh: Just a squib, a squib at being fundamentalist too. Tried to pass off as a wizard, went off to "a different magic school" aka "Christian counseling", his squibiness still came out anyway and embarrassed everyone. But they're a little too Hufflepuff to really burn him off the family tapestry.

Josie: Her coloring makes me think of Luna, if she got to celebrate Halloween it would be a great costume for her.

I also have the insane image in my head of JB walking around to potential suitors for the younger girls and making them try on a sorting hat to help pick which daughter they would be best to introduce to. I feel like I remember reading somewhere that Ben was getting to know both Jessa and Jinger at the same time, presumably in the pre intention stage? I also remember thinking they were probably always together, so it was silly to speculate on.

I hope that Jinger finds a little corner of the book world to call her own. She doesn't have to read books that Jeremy likes, she can carve out her own little niche. I have hundreds of books, multiple shelves, the closet, ergh I have a problem. I also have a kindle. I love to read and I'm hoping that Jinger legitimately finds a love for it.  

49 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I hope that Jinger finds a little corner of the book world to call her own. She doesn't have to read books that Jeremy likes, she can carve out her own little niche. I have hundreds of books, multiple shelves, the closet, ergh I have a problem. I also have a kindle. I love to read and I'm hoping that Jinger legitimately finds a love for it.  

Carm this is not a problem!! It enhances you!! It makes you better!! I have the same thing!! So it is great!!

7 hours ago, Dutchie said:

I did it partially out of guilt for not showing up enough the last years and partially because the taught of ME dieying all alone was horrible so I didn't want anybody to go trough that.

Somehow this does not sound like selfishness, but compassion. Just sayin'. You were being quite kind. Whatever the motivation. 

Just keep trying with the books.....maybe introduce a new book at a different time of day, not bedtime when they might like ritual. They will open up at some point. Children do like repetition at different points. 

7 hours ago, Dutchie said:

how do you get your kids to accept new books, mine just want me to read the same one every time. Grrrr, I love books, but by now I can close my eyes and tell them the story with some of them from memory, including page turning. 

Does your local library have toddler or preschool story time. My nephew was like that with the books at home, but new and different books at library story time got him excited about looking at new things as did picking out his own books at the library--which is really random with a 3 or 4 year old. He would literally just pull something off the shelf and want it if the cover was bright enough. 

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Yes, and your punishment is you can only come out after you finish the 1st book. 

1 hour ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Yes :P 

Oh no! Off to the prayer closet I guess accompanied by this companion :my_biggrin:

harry potter for dummies.jpg

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived