IGNORED

Jinjer: Shopping in Bookstores

Coconut Flan

Continued from here:

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Georgiana

Now the Bates....THERE'S a solid Slytherin family.  Up to their necks in disgusting beliefs and practices, but it's hard to remember because they just come off so wholesome and fun and good looking and easy to relate to!  

Yes! I would say most of them are Slytherin. Michael, Erin and Warden(the one that cooks) are probably not.  

1 hour ago, OyToTheVey said:

Yes! I would say most of them are Slytherin. Michael, Erin and Warden(the one that cooks) are probably not.  

I think Erin might be.  She was born into a very restrictive lifestyle, and yet somehow she rose to the top and OWNED it.  Girl GETS what she WANTS.  Hot man?  Check.  Perfect house near her family (despite their original plan to move away)? Check.  Pink bedroom with frilly bedspread? Check.  

She earns a sizable income in a community that doesn't believe in women working.  She was able to get practice time to become the incredibly skilled pianist that she is in a community that doesn't believe in women taking time for themselves.  She was the first in her generation of Bates to graduate from college, even if that college was Crown.  She did not quit school after getting married, she did not quit her job after having kids.  She even said that the reason she continued to work was because she found it fulfilling.  And yet nary a word was said against her.

Because Erin Bates Paine is a goddamn Slytherin who ALWAYS achieves her ends, often so cleverly that even here on FJ we often miss what a freaking anomaly she is.  Girl is driven and dominant as all hell, but you'd NEVER guess it because she's couched herself so cleverly in the fundie princess regalia.  

i dunno, i wouldn't say the bates are all slytherin. i think many of them legitimately believe their lifestyle is their salvation and they love the way they live. If parading all the best parts of their brand of christianity for the world to see and hopefully convert, counts as conniving and slytherin-ish....well, that puts just about all fundies and evangelicals in that house. I think Gil is definitely slytherin, and Kelly may be too, in a simpering up to a guy Pansy Parkinson-ish way. Besides them, I would really only for sure put Erin (sweetheart, but gets what she wants), Tori, and Lawson, in Slytherin. Carlin is Lavender Brown-ish, but idk if she'd be a gryffindor. Trace could be a Gryffindor. Michaela, Warden, Addee and Ellie seem very Hufflepuff.

Sorry, that was a bates-y tangent on a duggar thread. of the duggars, i'd go smuggar a slytherin, Jana and JD in hufflepuff, Joe as well, Jill a slytherin simply bc she doesn't have a curious or hard-working or daring bone in her body and she's bossy and could totally whimper and whine her way into getting what she wants (aka attention), jessa slytherin, Jinger and Joy Gryffindor, possibly Josiah gryffindor. Jed and Jer seem like they'd be in different houses. Jenni's a hufflepuff but idk about the rest of the lost girls.

I have to agree that Snape is a very complex character. He is full of flaws which make him endearing and damn relatable. You want to hate him for how he treats Harry but the picture is so much bigger and you end up loving him for his sacrifices.  As I kid, I didn't really understand the complexities of his characters.  I never had an intense love for Snape. I hated him because Harry hated him and we was exceptionally cruel to Harry. But, I reread the entire series last summer and I shed many tears reading the last 2 books in particular. The character arc is there throughout the entire series.  The memory that he gives Harry before he dies is enough to send me over the edge. I'm now 100% a Snap fan. HARRYPOTTERFOREVER!!!!!!!!!

Re: Snape (I'm not sure how to quote across threads?) I think he's one of the most well written and interesting characters I've ever come across. I do not think he is a "good person" in the black-and-white sense (but really it's such a broad term I probably shouldn't have used it). I do believe that at least a part of him was truly reformed by the end of the series. I do not believe his heroic acts completely cancel out his pleasure in emotionally abusing children. For that I personally cannot say that I love him. But I may also be a little biased since I went through a year of school in which I had a teacher who treated me very badly for no apparent reason. Maybe she was secretly protecting me from mortal danger behind the scenes? In any case I do see why people are team Snape.

And I agree with @Georgiana, Erin is a total Slytherin, like most of the Bates. I think the Duggars would just be Muggles, with the possible exception of Jessa (definitely Slytherin).

Oh, and Michelle is Dolores Umbridge. Baby voice, vulnerable-turned-manipulative, probably actually hates children.....totally Umbridge. haha. 

Have a soft spot when it comes to professor Snape. I think he is the most complex character in the entire series. He provokes so many emotions from the reader; hate, confusion, love, sorrow, compassion, and loyalty. He's misunderstood and lives a double life to protect the child of his true love. It speaks volumes to the type of person he truly is.

We only see Snape though Harry's eyes, we never see an unbiased opinion on him until Snape is dying and he allows Harry to see his truth. I think that shows us how a person can be completely different from one persons view point to another. 

6 minutes ago, Diggingupdirt said:

We only see Snape though Harry's eyes, we never see an unbiased opinion on him until Snape is dying and he allows Harry to see his truth. 

Which is why I love reading fanfiction from Snape's POV.

Oh man, I love the Snape appreciation! This is so not Tumblr, hah. He's so flawed, so fascinating, and as much as I love everything about Harry Potter, most of the characters just don't have the dimension that I've been able to find inspirational into my adult life. Snape was abused, an abuser, and then a reformed abuser... all basically on his own, or perhaps via his relationship with Dumbledore. And never without the punishment he deserved.

I'm very much a Slytherin, and have reread Harry Potter sooo many times. I do think if any wizards were to be Quiverfull, it would be the death eaters (although interestingly, real Quiverfull folks are much more sexist than death eaters. Yikes!) 

Here is my assessment:

Jim Bob and Michelle: Gryffindor. Firm, reckless, and active in their beliefs

Jill and Derrick: Gryffindor, maybe. They both remind me so much of Pettigrew, but lack bravery, so I'm not sure here.

Josh: Slytherin in the worst way. Very self-interested.

Anna: Hufflepuff. Kind and loyal.

Jessa and Ben: Slytherin. Ambitious, deliberate.

Joseph, Jinger, and Jeremy: potential Ravenclaws, but it's hard to tell under all the suppression. Maybe time will tell.

Jana and JD: Hufflepuff, they don't step on toes. Maaaaybe "sleeper" Ravenclaws

I'm glad that Jinger seems to emphasizing books. Maybe she can learn more about the real world and who know it might change her views on stuff. 

I'm loving this Harry Potter conversation :pb_lol: I would love to see these people take the sorting quiz on Pottermore. 

I took a quiz thing and got Ravenclaw. Since I've not read the series, I know next to nothing about this. I'm seeing things like "studious" and "eccentric" which are pretty accurate descriptors for me. Is Ravenclaw a good thing?

11 minutes ago, mlsgregg said:

I took a quiz thing and got Ravenclaw. Since I've not read the series, I know next to nothing about this. I'm seeing things like "studious" and "eccentric" which are pretty accurate descriptors for me. Is Ravenclaw a good thing?

Yes! 

From the last thread:

@elvirajane

"E.g.: "You can't say that God doesn't exist because when you say "God" you are already acknowledning his existence. How can you talk about smth that doesn't exist?" (Great, you proved that God is indeed an important social concept that might or might not be true!) or that thing on the wall in Benessa"s house: "If Jesus be anything then he must be something" (or, maybe, he is not anything and thus neither he is something)."

(I'm on my phone and can't do the quote box)

By that logic the Flying Spaghetti Monster exists....

So do unicorns, leprechauns, veela, dragons, centaurs...

5 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Yes! 

From the last thread:

@elvirajane

"E.g.: "You can't say that God doesn't exist because when you say "God" you are already acknowledning his existence. How can you talk about smth that doesn't exist?" (Great, you proved that God is indeed an important social concept that might or might not be true!) or that thing on the wall in Benessa"s house: "If Jesus be anything then he must be something" (or, maybe, he is not anything and thus neither he is something)."

(I'm on my phone and can't do the quote box)

By that logic the Flying Spaghetti Monster exists....

So do unicorns, leprechauns, veela, dragons, centaurs...

And Bigfoot.

10 minutes ago, mlsgregg said:

They're ALL good things!

There's no one house that is "better" than the others.  They all have their strengths and weaknesses and appeal to certain people more than others, but it's really just a grouping of people based on similar traits and interests.  The rest of it is up to the individual! 

Also, John Shrader: (Wizarding) World's Most Inept Squib: sent to Sub Saharan Africa by his Ministry father to "help" Wizarding folk there in an effort to mask his complete inability to do even the most basic of spells from his peers.  So far, he has only managed to annoy the many competent wizards he has encountered.  Pa Shrader is quickly running out of excuses at the Ministry for John-boy's lack of results.  

I know you'll all hate me, but can I just say how much I have always hated the whole Sorting malarky?  It really, really annoys me that in JKR's world, kids are labelled and put into Houses and told "this is what your personality is like" and can never, ever change, and then get judged for the rest of their lives.  Hell, I hated my school, where what you were like at 11 was what you were supposed to be like at 16 (sporty/not sporty etc) but at least we could change that (eg being musical, but don't want to sing in choirs any more/can give up hockey even though good at it) - but in the Potter universe, you're branded for life.  

It's just such a weakness, IMO - no kid can change, and it's not helped by how JKR writes it as Gryffindor being the best of the best. 

I am always sad at how few books fundie children read. We are a very minimalist household (moving 6x in 7 years of marriage will do that to a person). And yet, little treehuggers (ages 2 and 4), have over 260 books on their bookshelves alone. And I have read every single one of those books to them at least once. I've paired down all our possessions to the dearly loved and necessary, but I cannot get rid of the books. They are just so important! 

I'm glad Jinger is starting to appreciate books. Hopefully she will learn to love books because of the books themselves, not just because her husband does. 

59 minutes ago, mlsgregg said:

Ravenclaw is a great thing! Welcome to the house :D 

Word of advice, though, for anyone who wants to go and explore the world of Harry Potter: watch the movies first. As is the same with just about any movie adaptation, there are things that have been omitted and changed, and I personally have found that it's just easier to enjoy them as two separate entities without expecting the movies to meet all these expectations I might have had, such as 'fancast' and scenes that may have been omitted. 

I made this mistake with The Lovely Bones, and read the book first (though, not really my fault as it was an A-Level assignment) and then watched the film. The film was good, but it wasn't the movie I'd imagined in my head and I was disappointed; I think I could have loved that film a lot more had I read it before I opened the book. 

Or maybe I'm just really persnickety and foot-stampy rarely ever satisfied with adaptations. That could totally be it. Actually, ignore me. Experience fiction in whatever way and order you want to, everyone should have the freedom to enjoy literature at their own pace, and look at that, I came full circle. 

I hope Jinger enjoys her foray into the world of fiction, even if it is only with Jeremy's permission right now. Who knows, she may soon find that  the things she reads change her worldview. Anecdotal evidence and all, but there have been times in my life where a belief has been changed just because I emotionally bonded with a character and went on that journey with them. It's not totally out of the realm of possibility to believe that somewhere down the line something like this might happen with Jinger. 

The Dugs would never let their kids go to a government school like Hogwarts that would dirty their minds and turn them away from the LORD. They would take classes through Hogwarts Plus online.

1 hour ago, treehugger said:

I am always sad at how few books fundie children read. We are a very minimalist household (moving 6x in 7 years of marriage will do that to a person). And yet, little treehuggers (ages 2 and 4), have over 260 books on their bookshelves alone. And I have read every single one of those books to them at least once. I've paired down all our possessions to the dearly loved and necessary, but I cannot get rid of the books. They are just so important! 

I'm glad Jinger is starting to appreciate books. Hopefully she will learn to love books because of the books themselves, not just because her husband does. 

I agree books are important.

I own hundreds as well. They move with me from place to place, some come, some go, but all have been read. Sometimes several times. 

If Jinger is allowed to read, she can expand her imagination. Because she's a Duggar, maybe only to a certain extent, but you never know...

1 hour ago, Lurky said:

I know you'll all hate me, but can I just say how much I have always hated the whole Sorting malarky?  It really, really annoys me that in JKR's world, kids are labelled and put into Houses and told "this is what your personality is like" and can never, ever change, and then get judged for the rest of their lives.  Hell, I hated my school, where what you were like at 11 was what you were supposed to be like at 16 (sporty/not sporty etc) but at least we could change that (eg being musical, but don't want to sing in choirs any more/can give up hockey even though good at it) - but in the Potter universe, you're branded for life.  

It's just such a weakness, IMO - no kid can change, and it's not helped by how JKR writes it as Gryffindor being the best of the best. 

Actually, a very obvious theme of the books was that our choices define who we are as a person, not houses or blood, or family,etc.. (Dumbledore talked about this, as well as Harry to his son Albus). Hermione could have easily been in Ravenclaw but she chose Gryffindor just like Harry. Luna is another example that your house doesn't define you-most people wouldn't define her as an intellectual!

j.k. Has gone on to say Hufflepuff House is the one she admires the most.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived