IGNORED

Joe and Kendra: Holding Hands and Saying I Love You

choralcrusader8613

30 minutes ago, MoonFace said:

So, who has this on their wedding registry?

DEWALT DCK590L2 20-Volt MAX Li-Ion 3.0 Ah 5-Tool Combo Kit

Really?   Isn't a wedding registry for things a couple might need to set up a household: Dishes, towels, sheets, etc? 

I consider tools household items. My husband had some in our wedding registry, previously he only had a couple essential tools that were all hand me downs. He never had many new things growing up either so he still keeps his all neatly packaged in the box like they're new when he's not using them. I kinda think its endearing haha. But I think it's a common registry request.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also think tools are fine to put on a registry. Also, a lot of people put items on their registry that they don't actually expect people to buy for them, because after the wedding most stores will give you a good discount on items that didn't get gifted to you.

4 minutes ago, FleeJanaFree said:

Genuine question: what does a $200 rice cooker do differently than a $25 one?

For $200 it better come with its own JARVIS.

7 hours ago, MoonFace said:

So, who has this on their wedding registry?

DEWALT DCK590L2 20-Volt MAX Li-Ion 3.0 Ah 5-Tool Combo Kit

we didn't even see a wedding registry for Jeremy and Jinger or Joy and what' sh his name. 

ah the days of wedding registries for Jessa and Ben 

3 minutes ago, nst said:

we didn't even see a wedding registry for Jeremy and Jinger or Joy and what' sh his name. 

ah the days of wedding registries for Jessa and Ben 

I think Joy and Austin had one.  Didn't it have an October date on it and that got everyone talking?

I consider tools household items the same way sheets and towels are. If anything, when Mr LBE and I get married, we'll be well stocked in things like sheets and towels, but we actually could do with a well stocked tool box. Never know when something is going to need to be put back together. 

4 hours ago, Incognito22 said:

I think Joy and Austin had one.  Didn't it have an October date on it and that got everyone talking?

See, that's what happens when the rags don't do their homework.

A list popped up, then someone (I want to say Austin? - but I'm not sure) came out and said the damn thing insisted on a date so they just fed it her birthday and that wasn't their date. Several weeks later one of the rags had a slow 'news' week and created a feature on how they were vetting married on her birthday yada yada yawn.

5 hours ago, FleeJanaFree said:

Genuine question: what does a $200 rice cooker do differently than a $25 one?

Those Japanese rice cookers are really popular with people who eat rice as a staple of their diet and want it cooked to perfection because they can taste the difference. They are super high tech and cook every different type of rice just right. I admit when I saw that on the registry I did a double take. I don't think Joe and Kendra would notice the difference from a normal cheapo rice cooker given the type of food these fundie megafamilies cook. 

1 hour ago, Seren Ann said:

Those Japanese rice cookers are really popular with people who eat rice as a staple of their diet and want it cooked to perfection because they can taste the difference. They are super high tech and cook every different type of rice just right. I admit when I saw that on the registry I did a double take. I don't think Joe and Kendra would notice the difference from a normal cheapo rice cooker given the type of food these fundie megafamilies cook. 

Probably Minute Rice, anyway.

I "cooked" Minute Rice until the day I married MrSapphSlyth. He was appalled. He now does 95% of our cooking and that's fine with me.

i'm all for tools on the registry, as well as a few high-end appliances, because i'm on the side that still thinks registries should help the couple set up their home.  But things like shoes and restaurant gift cards (and $800 MacBooks) still bother me a little.  YMMV.

i'm on the fence with camping gear, unless it's something the couple does regularly.  Did DWreck ever get the kayak?  and if he did, did he use it?  

11 minutes ago, catlady said:

$800 MacBooks

Well worth it. One $800 MacBook will outlast four $300 PC laptops. Just sayin'.

2 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Well worth it. One $800 MacBook will outlast four $300 PC laptops. Just sayin'.

Fair enough, but I still think it's greedy to put things like that on a registry. Their household won't function better or worse without one. 

I didn't know rice cookers existed until I was in college. A friend asked me if I had one and I just looked at her and went "You mean a pot?"

I still make rice the old fashioned way. Boiled in a pot.

2 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

I didn't know rice cookers existed until I was in college. A friend asked me if I had one and I just looked at her and went "You mean a pot?"

I still make rice the old fashioned way. Boiled in a pot.

My family always made it in a pot too, until my brother moved back home a few months ago. He has a rice cooker. It's SO much better. Not saying pot rice is bad, but using a rice cooker gives it that stickiness you get at restaurants. 

Yeah people have always mentioned the rice cooker making "restaurant style" rice, but I actually don't really like my rice to be sticky, and my husband HATES sticky rice. So that's always turned me off from buying one lol.

1 hour ago, Gillyweed said:

My family always made it in a pot too, until my brother moved back home a few months ago. He has a rice cooker. It's SO much better. Not saying pot rice is bad, but using a rice cooker gives it that stickiness you get at restaurants. 

Short grain rice is stickier. Don't prerinse either if you want more stickiness. Letting the rice sit for a bit after cooking will also increase the stickiness. Long grain rice is intented to have more separated grains. Rice is complicated! Jasmine is my favorite.

I detest the texture if any type of instant rice.

Putting a laptop on a registry is tacky. That's the kind of thing you buy yourselves. Not something you "need" to start your lives together. 

1 hour ago, catlady said:

Fair enough, but I still think it's greedy to put things like that on a registry. Their household won't function better or worse without one. 

Am I the only one who isn't bothered by it? Just because it is on the registry doesn't mean anyone is actually forced to buy it. People can just buy something else if they are bothered by it. People can put whatever they want on a registry, and people can decide whether or not they are happy to buy that item for them. And a computer in this day and age is actually a useful gift for the home - Mr LBE and I use our laptops for everything - study, job searching, paying the bills, ordering the groceries etc. 

But my theory on gift giving is that I'd always rather give someone something they actually want and will use even if it is 'not the done thing' for a gift for the occasion than give someone something 'suitable' for the occasion that they don't really want and/or won't use. 

My eyebrow raised at the laptop and sneakers too, but someone upthread brought up the completion discount.  Amazon (and many other retailers) offers you a one-time discount to buy anything that's left on your registry.  I think Amazon's is 20% so you can get some truly excellent deals.  I had my baby registry on Amazon and right before I made my completion purchase, I added several non-baby things I had been wanting to the registry so I could take advantage of the discount.  

If it's stuff they intend to buy for themselves with a discount they don't HAVE to have it on their registry now though.  But I also wouldn't be surprised if they didn't realize they could wait to add it.  Or if they put it on their registry hoping for some leghumper generosity. 

9 minutes ago, sparklymagie said:

My eyebrow raised at the laptop and sneakers too, but someone upthread brought up the completion discount.  Amazon (and many other retailers) offers you a one-time discount to buy anything that's left on your registry.  I think Amazon's is 20% so you can get some truly excellent deals.  I had my baby registry on Amazon and right before I made my completion purchase, I added several non-baby things I had been wanting to the registry so I could take advantage of the discount.  

If it's stuff they intend to buy for themselves with a discount they don't HAVE to have it on their registry now though.  But I also wouldn't be surprised if they didn't realize they could wait to add it.  Or if they put it on their registry hoping for some leghumper generosity. 

That's a good point. I know someone who did that to get iPads and a good camera they wanted for themselves with their wedding registry. Added them to the registry and used giftcards to buy them for themselves because the department store gave a good discount to anything on the registry, including things that never really go on sale, like iPads.

1 hour ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

Am I the only one who isn't bothered by it? Just because it is on the registry doesn't mean anyone is actually forced to buy it. People can just buy something else if they are bothered by it. People can put whatever they want on a registry, and people can decide whether or not they are happy to buy that item for them. And a computer in this day and age is actually a useful gift for the home - Mr LBE and I use our laptops for everything - study, job searching, paying the bills, ordering the groceries etc. 

But my theory on gift giving is that I'd always rather give someone something they actually want and will use even if it is 'not the done thing' for a gift for the occasion than give someone something 'suitable' for the occasion that they don't really want and/or won't use. 

I'm not bothered by it either.

People who think it's tacky or don't want to buy it won't. 

There is always a possibility somebody will see value in it and want to provide for them. If not, the completion discount later will come in handy.

I had a relative ask me purchase them a MacBook and when I didn't think it was an appropriate gift I simply told them no and explained why I wasn't going to get it for them.

The registry is a wish list of sorts. They can ask, but ultimatly gift givers will decide.

A laptop is pretty much an essential household item these days. It's pricey for a wedding present, but if, say, all of the Bates married couples contributed, it wouldn't be unreasonable. Joe did help build them a free house. But I agree with @sparklymagie's theory that it's probably for the discount.

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Putting a laptop on a registry is tacky. That's the kind of thing you buy yourselves. Not something you "need" to start your lives together. 

So are the restaurant gift cards and socks.  I cannot with some of their registry choices.  

6 hours ago, catlady said:

$800 MacBooks 

Perhaps I'm blind, but I don't see a MacBook listed on their registry???

I think wedding registries have evolved from what they were when I was married 25ish years ago.  I have been to 6 weddings in the past 18 months.  (OUCH!) One couple skipped the registry entirely.  One couple had the traditional wedding staples on theirs' - place settings of china, crystal, silver, cookware, etc. The other 4 had a mix of traditional, practical, and "oddball" requests  (23andme kits?) - I chose "oddball" every time.  

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived