IGNORED

Margaret Court gets all homophobic over Qantas' support of equal marriage.

purjolok84

Margaret Court is a former Australian tennis player who now has her own Christian television show and an arena named for her.

Australia currently doesn't have marriage equality but the majority of people (I would say) are for it ... One of our big airlines, Qantas, has recently stated that they support marriage equality. Detractors have not been happy and reactions have ranged from commenting that companies shouldn't be participating in politics, to some old dude shoving a lemon meringue cream pie in the face of the director of Qantas (who happens to be gay).

Now Margaret Court has brought up the 'religion good, family good, gay BAAAAD' argument and has said that she will be boycotting Qantas. The reactions have been interesting - some people have argued that her arena should be renamed and there generally seems to be a lot of bad feeling around it:

http://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/tennis/2017/05/25/margaret-court-boycott-qantas/

I say let her do it - she's not going to get very far unless she's happy to drive everywhere or grift a private jet ...

Gotta love how the right wing boycotts every time a company voices or supports something they don't like.

This whole thing has been a good example of how difficult it is to reconcile two opposing views of the same person. Even our media are arguing over it.

This is an Aussie sporting legend (60+ Grand Slam titles) who is now 74 years old,  and who was raised in a generation where to be gay was to be vilified. She is also now a pastor.

If we value free speech, she needs to be allowed to have her own opinion. Her entire upbringing and belief system is reflected in her opinion. Yet her sporting achievements are in no way diminished because of her views are they? She wasn't a drug cheat. She played fairly and well, and earned her titles.

The consensus in Aus is that gay marriage is inevitable. I'm glad to say that most, if not all, people I know, even my 94 year old grandmother,  can't understand why it hasn't happened yet. 

But I don't want to re-name a sports arena because the old lady who it is named after opposes it. 

This is an Aussie sporting legend (60+ Grand Slam titles) who is now 74 years old,  and who was raised in a generation where to be gay was to be vilified. She is also now a pastor.

If we value free speech, she needs to be allowed to have her own opinion.

But I don't want to re-name a sports arena because the old lady who it is named after opposes it. 

Certainly Margaret is allowed her own opinion, just as we are allowed our own opinions and anyone else.

What I would argue is that the position that she has taken is a damaging one - she may have grown up in a time where homosexuality = bad, but she not only continues to be influenced by fundamentalist Christian teaching concerning sexuality and childrearing, she's a pastor with her own Christian TV show who thinks that society should be playing by her religion's rules when ironically, she doesn't play by them herself.

There's no doubting that she played tennis amazingly well but where do we draw the line? Perhaps an alternate idea is the boycotting of Margaret Court for endorsement purposes?

Airline thing: It's best to just ignore her. She has a right to boycott anyone she wants to. (Although I think the wording she used means that she is boycotting Quantas only as long as it's easy.)

But WTF is this? She is basically attacking a specific couple because they dared to have a child. 

MargaretWTF.png.82e1ad6e1e8fa5044fe956cfe6cc82f1.png

It's fine for her to have her own opinions.

It's also fine for other people to react negatively to those opinions.

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from criticism or freedom from negative results.

Woman's a nutjob.

It's strange that she won't. let. go. of. this. to the point where it's bewilderingly distressing. I thought the attack she made on Casey Dell'acqua and her family was foul but now it's just beyond that.

Love how everything non-cis-gender, non-nuclear-family-affirming and non-complementarian is Hitler-like and of Satan.

And if society wasn't so rotten to the core and would just buckle under to the rule of Christian Dominionism, boys and girls would grow into men and women who would marry according to Biblical Law and we wouldn't need to worry about he-shes ands homos hurting our pwecious feelings evah. Or something similar.

Does she really feel this is her duty and that's why she's not letting up? Or could she be trying to get interest for her show?

6 hours ago, purjolok84 said:

Yup, the industrial-strength Christian-persecution complex kicking into high gear! 

Archived