IGNORED

Interesting Ancestry DNA article

PennySycamore

I just read this interesting article about the Ancestry DNA test's TOS.  You are signing over the rights to your DNA forever.  Most people don't read the TOS carefully (if they read it at all) and probably only an attorney would understand the implications of signing away rights to your DNA in perpetuity.

Ancestry DNA takes DNA ownership rights away from customers and their relatives

Quite frankly, I wish I'd never done mine.  I've had to submit two samples because my first sample was not big enough.  How come a swab is enough for law enforcement, but Ancestry requires you to fill up this little tube with your spit when you've not had anything to drink for 45 minutes?  My husband submitted his in January and still hasn't gotten his results.  

ETA:  Apparently, Ancestry DNA changed their TOS so that they DON'T get the rights to your DNA forever.  There are some clarifying comments at the bottom of the article.

I'm curious about my ancestry, but too distrustful to give them my DNA.  

44 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

I firmly believe that I have the MTHFR mutation, which has been linked to, among other things, drug resistant depression. I started taking an enormous dose of methyl-folate and it's helped tremendously, so I'm almost certain that I have it. That said, I just refuse to get the genetic test done to definitively diagnosis it. Even if I were to do it through a doctor's office, it still makes me leery. 

51 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

I am too. I love the concept and would love to participate, but I am way too skeptical  to be comfortable handing over my DNA to a random company.

Glad to see they've changed their TOS to clarify their position! You don't often see companies acting so quickly.

Archived