IGNORED

Racheal, the middle child, misogynist, anti-intellectual, and incredibly racist

NachosFlandersStyle

This is a blog of a woman with lymes disease. I don't know her personally, but am a friend of a family member, and I know that what she has gone through is very real, and very serious. She has a brief run down of her illness over the last couple years in her about me section, and it sounds mild compared to the updates we were getting as it was happening. It was hellish. She was treated both by holistic/naturopathic drs as well as mainstream. She also saw psychiatrist and mental health therapist. 

She's finally starting to feel better. She and her husband are living in a tent in Nevada following an absurdly rigid and complicated mold decontamination protocol. The blog is chronicling the time camping. 74 days so far.

http://anaharriswrites.com/

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, dairyfreelife said:

I know for myself, I didn't actually believe I had it because of the stereotyping of excessive hand washing. I mean, I didn't check things or do things over and over again like 100 times so I didn't have it. Except that I actually did, but in different ways. As in, I had these crazy thoughts and I had to do things certain numbers of times and had to make sure the light switches were all even because if I didn't something bad would happen. If I did something like 9 times, I HAD to do it again because 9 was a bad number and something bad would happen.

It was similar for me. I actually did wash my hands over and over when I was a kid, but by the time I was diagnosed my OCD was manifesting very differently and because I wasn't particularly clean and organized, like the OCD stereotype, I didn't think I had it.

It manifests itself in numbers for me too. I count every step I ever take and I have to do everything in prime numbers. (So 9 wouldn't be okay for me either, but I would have to do something two or four times more to get to 11 or 13.) Medication hasn't completely eliminated those symptoms, but it has really taken off the edge, so to speak.

I think that when I was little my OCD manifested itself in religious thoughts and obsessions. I had to pray a certain way over and over again or I was afraid something horrible would happen to my family and pets. It was very stressful to live with, especially since I was so young, but in a religious community it just looked like I was very devout.

15 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

It was similar for me. I actually did wash my hands over and over when I was a kid, but by the time I was diagnosed my OCD was manifesting very differently and because I wasn't particularly clean and organized, like the OCD stereotype, I didn't think I had it.

It manifests itself in numbers for me too. I count every step I ever take and I have to do everything in prime numbers. (So 9 wouldn't be okay for me either, but I would have to do something two or four times more to get to 11 or 13.) Medication hasn't completely eliminated those symptoms, but it has really taken off the edge, so to speak.

I think that when I was little my OCD manifested itself in religious thoughts and obsessions. I had to pray a certain way over and over again or I was afraid something horrible would happen to my family and pets. It was very stressful to live with, especially since I was so young, but in a religious community it just looked like I was very devout.

I wasn't officially diagnosed until I was in my early-20s, but looking back I can easily identify early manifestations of my OCD as young as age 4. At first my OCD was purely obsessional, but by age 9 or so I had also developed compulsions. 

My dad actually taught a high school Psychology class and when I was 12 or 13, I picked up one of his textbooks out of boredom and started reading the chapter on mental health. I nearly fell over when I read the description of OCD. Talk about a life-changing moment!  All of the secret internal battles that had raged inside of my head for as long as I could remember suddenly had a name. 

It sounds strange to say I was excited to discover that my obsessions and compulsions were an actual medical condition, but I was. When I went to my dad and told him that I was sure I had OCD, he chuckled and told me to stop diagnosing myself with things I read about in a book. I didn't say another word about OCD until I was in my 20s and had an official diagnosis by a medical professional. 

I don't blame my dad for not taking me seriously. I'm sure he saw my "diagnosis" of OCD as nothing more than me assigning far too much significance to the human tendencies and little quirks all of us have that defy logical explanation. As a result, I suffered in silence for another 10+ years before I finally broke down and sought help. :(

21 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

My sister was like that as a kid and teen. She honestly thought she was crazy. My parents never took her to a dr. I'm still sad about what she went through. 

7 hours ago, EowynW said:

My sister was like that as a kid and teen. She honestly thought she was crazy. My parents never took her to a dr. I'm still sad about what she went through. 

I remember feeling that way, too.

I even started obsessing over my obsessiveness! I examined everything I said, did, and thought over and over again, trying to find definitive "proof" that I wasn't so crazy after all...which just made me feel even crazier in the long run. :(

People with OCD usually learn how to hide their obsessions and compulsions fairly early on. It's a survival tactic and it's also one reason why so many parents and loved ones are caught completely off-guard when they become aware of how severe the person's obsessions and compulsions really are. 

21 minutes ago, rocket_girl said:

I remember feeling that way, too.

I even started obsessing over my obsessiveness! I examined everything I said, did, and thought over and over again, trying to find definitive "proof" that I wasn't so crazy after all...which just made me feel even crazier in the long run.

People with OCD usually learn how to hide their obsessions and compulsions fairly early on. It's a survival tactic and it's also one reason why so many parents and loved ones are caught completely off-guard when they become aware of how severe the person's obsessions and compulsions really are. 

My parents always threatened her with taking to the dr but the way they did it wasn't helpful. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 4:24 PM, GeoBQn said:

Racheal went to a Civil War reenactment over Memorial Day weekend.  The first day was the day just for school groups to visit.  Note the part where she calls a group of 8th graders "brainwashed" for being Unionists, only to later wish that she had the power to "force" people into thinking a certain way.  I'm creeped out by the idea that the kids probably thought Racheal's group was playacting at being staunch Confederates from the past.  They had no fucking clue that this group really believes that way.

http://adventuresmidkid.weebly.com/blog/branch-county-civil-war-days-2017

So, she was upset that there were Unionists/Yankees at a Civil War reenactment?  Is that it, the reason behind her rambling post?  Because if they weren't there, it would be a group of Confederates standing around.  And who would want to go to that?

And did she not know that the Yankees won?  Huuuuuuugely!

1) what the fuck did I just read? 2) what in the world does a fly mean in this context cos the two definitions I can come up with are both hilariously wrong. Anyone know what she means?

but irregardless,

Sigh.  SOTDRT strikes again. 

I feel a bit leery about snarking on this one.  Her bitterness and anger infuse everything she writes.  She's a homely girl with apparently no prospects of marriage in a culture that gives her little else to look forward to.  I worry that she's got some serious mental health issues that aren't diagnosed or treated.  It seems she's hitching her wagon to the white supremacy thing in an unwise attempt to find a man.  (I guess she hasn't noticed how many white supremacists end up - oddly - with Asian women...)

It all seems like it won't end well. 

6 hours ago, GeoBQn said:

Racheal admonishes women who reenact as male soldiers.  Because even when you are playing a character, you still need to follow G-d's design.

http://adventuresmidkid.weebly.com/blog/thoughts-on-reenactor-women

She would have hated one of the performances by my (southern Baptist) college's theater department.

Romeo & Juliet, in which about half of the male roles were played by women (not Romeo, Capulet, the friar, or Paris) -- because they had far more women available, so they got creative. Including portraying Romeo as the only child of a single mother (and Lady Capulet as a very drinky trophy wife). A few friends were the various young men who were busy fighting about everything, and their attempts to laugh and walk in a "masculine" manner were entertaining. 

Why don't you want to be a woman in the sphere God ordained for you? A sphere that has such far flung influence...the saying that the "hand that rocks the cradle rules the world" has a mighty lot of truth to it. 

Because maybe I don't want to rock a cradle, maybe I want to dress as a man in the 1860s? Why is Racheal so obssessed with what other women are doing? If she wants to wear a corset and big hooped skirts, good for her. If a woman wants to dress as a man, good for her. Either way, it's not affecting my life until you write a hateful blog post about it. 

10 hours ago, JMarie said:

So, she was upset that there were Unionists/Yankees at a Civil War reenactment?  Is that it, the reason behind her rambling post?  Because if they weren't there, it would be a group of Confederates standing around.  And who would want to go to that?

And did she not know that the Yankees won?  Huuuuuuugely!

MIchigan and Indiana were.......very strong Union states.  Oops!

20 minutes ago, Soulhuntress said:

MIchigan and Indiana were.......very strong Union states.  Oops!

That means nothing to many people. I grew up in WV. So many people paraded confederate flags around as proud southerners. The fact that WV became a state to break from VA to be part of the Union is apparently completely lost on them. Hell, I saw some confederate flags in Pittsburgh. Many born and raised in Pennsylvania too. You know, an obvious northern state that was definitely part of the Union. Why any people from either state wave that flag around proudly is beyond me. It's stupid in general knowing the history of said flag, but at least someone born and raised in the actual south may have had confederate side ancestors. FYI, I am from southern WV and currently live in North Carolina. My ancestors are from WV, VA, KY and the Carolinas. Definitely qualify as more southern than this woman. 

14 hours ago, GeoBQn said:

Racheal admonishes women who reenact as male soldiers.  Because even when you are playing a character, you still need to follow G-d's design.

http://adventuresmidkid.weebly.com/blog/thoughts-on-reenactor-women

Obviously unaware of the hundreds of women who followed the drum as soldiers since the dawn of time by dressing as men.

2 hours ago, dairyfreelife said:

That means nothing to many people. I grew up in WV. So many people paraded confederate flags around as proud southerners. The fact that WV became a state to break from VA to be part of the Union is apparently completely lost on them. Hell, I saw some confederate flags in Pittsburgh. Many born and raised in Pennsylvania too. You know, an obvious northern state that was definitely part of the Union. Why any people from either state wave that flag around proudly is beyond me. 

I see the occasional stars 'n' bars here in Washington State. Yes, usually on a jacked-up pickup.

I had made some comment about not being able to move a particular way in my corset (which on later consideration, I wouldn't have done whatever it was even not in my corset because my back likes to go out of whack at particular angles and twists) and she pipes up along the lines of that's why she doesn't do a female impression.

So, she then writes a blog about how women shouldn't role-play men's roles, with all kinds of "but how on earth could people think corsets are restrictive...when the reason women around her know they're hard to move in are because Racheal has told them how hard it is!

And wow, she makes re-enacting sound so tedious and dull.  It's the worst housework, "Cooking for your men and their buddies...mending their rent clothing and so forth" but with no mod cons, and over open fires etc, but in a corset and hooped skirts?  Ugh, no thank you.

23 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Because maybe I don't want to rock a cradle, maybe I want to dress as a man in the 1860s? Why is Racheal so obssessed with what other women are doing?

If God ordained my sphere to be a woman, didn't He also ordain that I live in 2017, too? I'm failing to see how it's any more outside my God-assigned life to roleplay as a male character than it is to roleplay as a female character from another century. 

17 hours ago, dairyfreelife said:

I saw some confederate flags in Pittsburgh. Many born and raised in Pennsylvania too.

Yeah, they're everywhere (I've seen them in Pennsylvania, too, as well as New York and Ohio) and the original context of it is obviously lost on many people.

On 6/22/2017 at 0:08 PM, acheronbeach said:

Sigh.  SOTDRT strikes again. 

I feel a bit leery about snarking on this one.  Her bitterness and anger infuse everything she writes.  She's a homely girl with apparently no prospects of marriage in a culture that gives her little else to look forward to.  I worry that she's got some serious mental health issues that aren't diagnosed or treated.  It seems she's hitching her wagon to the white supremacy thing in an unwise attempt to find a man.  (I guess she hasn't noticed how many white supremacists end up - oddly - with Asian women...)

It all seems like it won't end well. 

Just because you're an ugly, bitter spinster with mental health issues doesn't mean you should get a pass for supporting white supremacy or being mocked for it. There are plenty of withering on the vine fundie gals who haven't taken that road to find a husband. She's a grown woman who has decided to blog about her lame Confederacy cosplay life for all of the internet to see.

SOTDRT has an obvious disadvantage.  While most kiddos are learning in their ebil schools about state history, Snowflake Rachel learned about how to be a bigot. To Miss Cupcake Snowflake wanna be Hoop Skirt wearing Plantation dwelling princess two simple words: Grow Up.  It is not cute, funny or appealing to anyone of any gender at anytime to act the fool as much as you do.  If you want to cosplay, do you.  However if you go to school children on a school trip, do not be surprised when a nice teacher tears your piss poor revisionist so called history into tiny little shreds.

6 hours ago, milkteeth said:

Just because you're an ugly, bitter spinster with mental health issues doesn't mean you should get a pass for supporting white supremacy or being mocked for it. There are plenty of withering on the vine fundie gals who haven't taken that road to find a husband. She's a grown woman who has decided to blog about her lame Confederacy cosplay life for all of the internet to see.

Oh, no, feel free to rip her to shreds.  Her disturbing beliefs and immaturity certainly warrant it.  I just.... can't myself.  There are some people I instinctively want to get the fuck away from.  She's one of the few.

On 6/22/2017 at 9:05 PM, dairyfreelife said:

That means nothing to many people. I grew up in WV. So many people paraded confederate flags around as proud southerners. The fact that WV became a state to break from VA to be part of the Union is apparently completely lost on them. Hell, I saw some confederate flags in Pittsburgh.

I'm from Iowa, a northern state with a proudly abolitionist history, which suffered more casualties per capita than any other Union state.  And yet one of our US representatives, the ever-embarrassing creepazoid Steve King, displays a confederate flag in his office. For "history," he says, as if an inflammatory symbol of treason and white supremacy, displayed without context, is the best way to remind his constituents that the Civil War... happened, I guess? As if he simply couldn't find an illustration of the battlefield, or a portrait of Ulysses Grant, or a reproduction battle flag belonging to an Iowa unit, and so he decided to go with the next thing available, because he simply had to have some token of that conflict.

But of course anyone who's been paying attention to Rep. King in the past knows that he isn't just confused or misguided. The man is a straight up white supremacist who has managed to stay in the headlines throughout his career by saying the vilest, most racist trash he can think of at any given moment. He doesn't care about north or south-- he cares about white and black and brown, and in that way, the stars and bars are a perfectly accurate representation of who he is. I imagine that's true for many people who fly the flag. We can scratch our heads and wonder if they somehow forgot where they live, but they know perfectly well that it symbolizes an ideology that exusts well beyond any geographical region.

Archived