IGNORED

Racheal, the middle child, misogynist, anti-intellectual, and incredibly racist

NachosFlandersStyle

From her review of "The Help":

While I'm sure there was a PC bias in the film (aka. white people are bad/black people are good), I didn't notice it overly much--there were good, kind, thoughtful white people (and some that might have been kinder if they weren't so cowed by Hilly) and there were plain out nasty white people. There were good, kind, mostly forgiving black people and there were black people who displayed a vindictive spirit--and in one case, a thief. (Of course, on that one, you actually kind of feel sorry for her, but it still doesn't not excuse her theft.)

Yes, this is the worst thing about movies set in the Jim Crow south: they might portray white people in a negative light! :pb_rollseyes: And don't forget, being a good, kind black person in an era of oppression means being "forgiving,"rather than "vindictive."

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This girl is ugly, both inside and out. I think her outside ugliness is just her sick inner mind making itself visible.

Also - woman have *always* worked outside the home, as well as contributing to the household income from within it. They worked as servants, factory and piece workers, midwives, launderers, farmers, child minders, teachers, endless occupations - when is this mythical time when women didn't have to work that her family thinks existed?

9 hours ago, lawfulevil said:

It looks like she grew up in Southern Florida (SE of Tampa) and lives on her family's farm about an hour north of Indianapolis. YMMV on whether she's a "Southerner" or not. I don't remember Florida being terribly important in the Civil War, but I might have been asleep that day- I struggled with the "dates and flowcharts" style of history class.

The KKK was (and is) huge in Indiana, though. So the racism is authentic enough.

And you guys weren't kidding- she and Lori need to get together and start ordering moisturizer in industrial sizes.

OMG! Please the damn Fundies are closing in on me! Come rescue me! 

Yes, you will still find the KKK in Indiana. 

This settles it- I just need to move to Aruba. 

I strongly suspect that her Kraut loving Nazi interest and Confederate cosplay would make Baby Jesus want to slap the shit out of her.  I know I certainly feel that way. 

But lo!  She's got an Etsy shop! She's selling treasures junk on there.  I wonder if the proceeds go toward Confederate costumes and Nazi gear for her racist cosplay funtimes?  I mean, surely she's not selling things as a way to make income.  She's got a vagina, so therefore, she shouldn't be worrying about bringing in the money.  

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GranddaddysHouse?ref=offsite_badges&utm_source=sellers&utm_medium=badges&utm_campaign=en_isell_1

I think she is southern by heritage, not location. Despite having grown up in the south it took me a minute to realize by " embracing her greyness" she meant confederate ancestors, not premature grey hair. 

4 minutes ago, Hmmm_idolatry said:

But lo!  She's got an Etsy shop! She's selling treasures junk on there. 

lots of flea market type stuff there, kind of like an on-line yard sale.  and she spelled lavender wrong; it's not lavendar.  

5 minutes ago, catlady said:

lots of flea market type stuff there, kind of like an on-line yard sale.  and she spelled lavender wrong; it's not lavendar.  

Her own name is spelled wrong, so I think that spelling ability doesn't run in the family.

Since they keep bees, do they sell honey?  I was surprised that honey wasn't on the site. 

41 minutes ago, Anonymousguest said:

I think she is southern by heritage, not location. Despite having grown up in the south it took me a minute to realize by " embracing her greyness" she meant confederate ancestors, not premature grey hair. 

Mercy, this near about made me spit water all over my keyboard. 

I come from a very Southern family, both redneck Southern and proper Southern. You never know what you might get out of me on a given day. But I don't believe in flying the Confederate flag ("the colors", as they're called by some) and I certainly wouldn't make it a way of life– heck, I've even seen some women type out their southern accents on Facebook. But "embracing your grayness"? Girl, please.

Also, @nausicaa, your post made me chuckle!! 

3 hours ago, anachronistic said:

Also - woman have *always* worked outside the home, as well as contributing to the household income from within it. They worked as servants, factory and piece workers, midwives, launderers, farmers, child minders, teachers, endless occupations - when is this mythical time when women didn't have to work that her family thinks existed?

My absolute favourites are people who cite eg Jane Austen, the Brontes, and the absolute best, the fictional Downton Abbey as examples of times when "women didn't work" - when Jane Eyre literally works for her living, there are servants in all the books, and in DA, there are at least 2 servants for every member of the family, and that's cutting the number to make a manageable cast!

I always laugh and laugh at these ignorant fools - the reason that women and children were banned from working down coal mines in the UK was because they worked down coal mines!  The Industrial Revolution is all about how women moved from doing piece work in their homes to working in factories (where they had to ban children from working too!).   Even wealthy women worked, until the 20th century - farm women worked endlessly, from the farm hand in the field to the wealthy farmer's wife running her dairy, weaving and huge household.  Ladies of the manor throughout history had to work the equivalent of running businesses to keep everything going!

We could go on for ever and ever - bakers and cooks, innkeepers, seamstresses, wet-nurses, actual nurses, business women, prostitutes, food sellers in the streets (forever!), writers and artists and musicians, and, and, and....

3 hours ago, Hmmm_idolatry said:

I strongly suspect that her Kraut loving Nazi interest and Confederate cosplay would make Baby Jesus want to slap the shit out of her.  I know I certainly feel that way. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Kraut a racial slur? I get that they're trying not to acknowledge that Nazis are kind of undeniably evil, but calling them Krauts instead seems... weird. Refusing the acknowledge that they really were while at the same time using a term that actually IS offensive. :pb_confused: 

Of course, coming from this young lady it shouldn't be surprising, just adding another tidbit to a very long list... 

2 hours ago, Shoobydoo said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Kraut a racial slur? I get that they're trying not to acknowledge that Nazis are kind of undeniably evil, but calling them Krauts instead seems... weird. Refusing the acknowledge that they really were while at the same time using a term that actually IS offensive. :pb_confused: 

Of course, coming from this young lady it shouldn't be surprising, just adding another tidbit to a very long list... 

I think it is.  I don't know if it's WWII-era slang/slur, or if it's older than that.  The only time I've ever heard anybody use that term is in movies about WWII.  

13 minutes ago, Hmmm_idolatry said:

I think it is.  I don't know if it's WWII-era slang/slur, or if it's older than that.  The only time I've ever heard anybody use that term is in movies about WWII.  

Errr...My British based family still use it as a term for Germans. Especially those they believe/imagine come from East Germany or Poland.

Geography isn't a strong point with them. Nor history. Or science..

Horrors! A relative of a relative had a job once! Women mustn't be job-type people, they should be like the lilies of the field who toil not, nor do they do they spin. Which means they should all do what makes them happy. Hooray! I'm a lily! (Apologies to your namesake, PennySycamore,  I've always loved that movie.)

I learned the term "Leeaboo" today, which is the Confederate equivalent of a "Weeaboo," so basically someone who is a big fan of the Confederacy. There's even a subreddit for things Leeaboos say. I was thinking about how many fundies this would apply to. I've known a disturbing amount of people who align themselves with the Confederates. I'm pretty sure they always imagine themselves as the wealthy slaveowners, though, not the slaves themselves or the many white people who were far too poor to afford slaves.

@Hmmm_idolatry, kraut as a pejorative term for Germans seems to have arisen during WW II.  Jerry was more common in Britain and saw some use in WWI. It became more popular during the Second World War.  The term Jerry may have originated from  German helmets which resembled chamber pot or jeroboams.  It is still used in the word jerrycan.  The term jerry-rigged is really jury-rigged and is an old sailing term.

It occurred to me how ridiculously hypocritical it is of her to refuse to use the term "African American" because we are all from American, yet she insists she is Southern because she had a some number of great grandfather who owned slaves. (Was she the one who said she didn't use the term, maybe I'm confusing people on this thread).

Sorry I didn't mean to quote , I can't figure out how to get rid of it now! 

I come from a German-Midwestern family that long predates the world wars, and at least in our area the epithet was always "dutchy." I don't know how pejorative that is, though.

(to the extent that I barely ever introduce myself to anyone without pointing out the fact that I am a Southerner)

This seems really odd to me. 

If you ask me where I'm from, I'll say Tennessee - not "I'm a southerner." Saying you're a southerner could be anything from Virginia to Florida to Arkansas to Louisiana. There isn't one generic southern culture that everyone below an arbitrary geographic line takes part in like she seems to imagine there is.

For another thing, it doesn't make sense as a primary introductory statement unless the majority of people she introduces herself to are not any type of southern (otherwise what's the point of noting it?) and/or wouldn't recognize where a specific southern place name is located. Which means she probably neither lives in the south nor spends much time there - and she apparently didn't grow up there, so the "southerner" premise seems a bit flimsy. 

Her writing also seems just a little too... precious. Like she's just going along and then realizes she hasn't said anything "southern" in awhile so she throws in a Dixie or a War Between the States or a cute name for secessionists or something. It seems very self-conscious and rehearsed. Her writing voice doesn't sound like someone who's just talking.

The whole thing just seems like she's trying way too hard to be perceived as something she secretly knows is just her playacting a role.

My entire family suffers, to one degree or another, with Chronic Lyme disease along with the "normal" co-infections as well as Mold Toxicty. (Heh...we're Moldy Lymies!)

Hm... I don't discount the possibility that they really are chronically ill in some way, but the way she describes her wide variety of dramatic symptoms makes me think that she'd probably make a miraculous recovery if she had more to do. Sitting around obsessing about the Civil War and your illnesses is a good way to convince yourself you're sicker than you are, whereas if she just took her mind off it she'd likely fare better. 

33 minutes ago, Mercer said:

The whole thing just seems like she's trying way too hard to be perceived as something she secretly knows is just her playacting a role.

She's from what, Indiana, was it? That amuses me. I grew up in Southern Ohio. I wasn't born there, but I spent enough time there to consider myself as "from" Ohio (I'm a military brat, too. :P) While, as others have noted, places like Indiana and Ohio are often deeply racist and heavily segregated-- as in, the elementary school I attended had about one black kid per grade- they are also DAMN proud of not being southerners. 90% of state history education in Ohio is horn-tooting about how they're just slightly above the mason-dixon line, and thus played a large role int he underground railroad. That and French fur trappers. Kentuckians, a mere hour and a half or so south, were held in low esteem, largely because they said things like, "y'all" and are, you know, the south. 

I dunno, it's an amusing juxtaposition. 'Cuz she's just SO SOUTHERN, y'all! In Indiana! :pb_rollseyes:

I find it interesting that people like Racheal think they'd be the equivalent of the 1%if they lived in the good ol' days, sipping tea in drawing rooms & hand-sewing dainty garments. Sweetie, most people did not live like that. 
I'd love to tell her about my paternal grandmother, who worked in a textile mill from her teens until she retired, then worked in the laundry of the SC School for the Deaf and Blind until her mid-70s. And her mom, who was a sharecropper's daughter & a sharecropper's wife, She worked alongside her husband in the fields, had 14 babies, only 4 of whom lived past birth, and "took in" children. Meaning she ran a baby farm, where women paid her room & board for their children while they worked in mills in town, or went out of state to find work. She raised white & black kids, and many of them regularly visited her up into her 90s & still called her "mama."
Then there's my maternal grandmother, who had a heart problem & couldn't work in the fields, so she babysat the babies & small children of all her neighbors, along with her own 8 kids. She was paid in garden produce, which my mom said helped keep their family alive during the Depression, & other barter goods. She also cooked the midday dinner for all her neighbors, freeing up the other women to work all day. There was a big iron triangle hanging from her back porch. She would ring it at noon & they would come from several miles around and sit at a long trestle table in the yard and eat. She was paid for that, too. She died in 1955 at 60, looked 80, & my mom said she always said if she'd had a choice she would have worked in a cotton mill & never married.

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, However, Rachael's vague illness and general "unwell" (beyond Lyme) seem to be classic symptoms of B12 deficiency.  

Either that or she's making it all up/ hypochondria to show us what a rare delicate flower of Southern womanhood she is.

Rachel needs to understand that while we may be flowers down here, they are steel magnolias.

On 5/24/2017 at 10:08 AM, ladyamylynn said:

Honestly if she enjoys the all-white pastoral lifestyle she should move to the PNW. This area has a lot going for it but racial diversity and integration are not two of them. Plenty of ignorant hicks proudly fly the idiot flag, too. Portland is shockingly white and racist for such a liberal city.

As a life long Oregonian, it's not really shocking. We had the largest Klan membership west of the Mississippi during the 1920s. We didn't join the Union as a slave state but we also made of point of making it illegal for black folks to live here in our state constitution. We just got around to fixing that in the 1990s. We were at the forefront of that whole pesky eugenics movement Hitler co-opted and ran with.

I generally tell newbies that Portland and Eugene are liberal...ish. But if they are LGBT or POC be careful outside the bubbles. It's a whole different state east of the Cascades.

On 5/24/2017 at 11:52 AM, catlady said:

i couldn't decide if she's lazy or dumb.  

The two are not mutually exclusive. :)

You can have your cake and eat it too, in this particular case.

Rather sure Chronic Lyme Disease is a quack illness fad. Lyme Disease is real and caused by the bite of a certain type of tick. It is treatable and not a chronic illness. It's one too many people claim to have and it's not nearly as common as people claim just like heavy metal toxicity, adrenal fatigue (if you were really insufficient, you would need certain meds to survive and it's not called fatigue, it's Addison's Disease, a real disease and it's not a joke diagnosis), toxic mold issues, hypothyroidism, and parasites.

It's far past time people stop claiming to have things without having a real doctor test them properly and giving them an actual diagnosis of said condition and treatment plans. Not some quack pot "expert" in the supposed illness claiming some herbal supplement they are selling will make you better. A real doctor with real hospital testing and a formal real diagnosis. Otherwise, prove you have this over-hyped sickness or I don't believe you. 

Archived