IGNORED

Incident ongoing in Manchester, UK

JabberJabber

1 hour ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I acknowledge that this is smaller potatoes compared to the victims who lost their lives or are injured, but I cannot imagine what it must be like for Ariana Grande right now.

I don't think it's small potatoes, that must have been a horrific thing to witness.

As usual the a*******s over  here have come out with the usual hate filled rubbish in response. EDL got shouted down by police and bystanders in Manchester, which is heartening but also Katie Hopkins has gotten involved with tweets about a "final solution" and some other bollocks. It's probably been pointed out before with other things but I'm pretty sure that stuff like that is EXACTLY what the people who do evil things like this hope for. They want to stir up hate so that they can justify their actions. I've already had to delete two people on facebook for posting and sharing anti muslim/ anti immigrant things. This country is rapidly becoming a scary place :(

ETA: the drawing the little girl above did has broken my heart. Kids shouldn't have to think about stuff like that.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I acknowledge that this is smaller potatoes compared to the victims who lost their lives or are injured, but I cannot imagine what it must be like for Ariana Grande right now. I hope she has a good support system in place and gets help if she needs it. I know that I would feel a tremendous sense of guilt in her place, even though she is not at all responsible. 

i am sure I would feel a sense of responsibility too. It is absolutely not her fault in any way but it is hard to not place blame on yourself. 

1 hour ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

Yeah I've been thinking about her all day. According to the daily mail she's back in the States and hopefully surrounded by family! 

I have read that she is back in the states a few places. I hope she is with family and friends. She is only 23 years old herself, it is a lot to deal with. 

My heart goes out to all those families and to Arianna herself. No one should go out to a concert or a sporting event and not come home. This weekend both the English and Scottish Football Cup Finals are being played, security measures have been stepped up to prevent anymore attacks. I sadly think more will happen in the UK but as a country we can't and won't let them win.

And the Brits are apparently NOT happy with the US administration.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mitchprothero/us-officials-keep-talking-about-the-manchester-attack-and?utm_term=.naaYarxEM#.lbkLPolj6

Spoiler

US Officials Keep Talking About The Manchester Attack And It’s Freaking Out European Allies

BRUSSELS — UK and European intelligence officials are expressing concern over the fact that much of the information that emerged in the wake of the Manchester bombing has been sourced back to US officials.

The information first came in the hours after the attack — including a US official saying that the leading theory was that the attack was carried out by a suicide bomber — and culminated in a report by CBS News and the Associated Press that cited US officials claiming to identify the suspect who is believed to have blown himself up during an Ariana Grande concert at Manchester Arena, killing at least 22 people. The Manchester police would only later confirm the name of the suspect — 22-year-old Salman Abedi — to the press, and the arrest of another 23-year-old suspected in connection to the attack.

One Belgian counterterrorism official who spoke with BuzzFeed News between a series of meetings about the Manchester attack confirmed the discomfort felt in European intelligence circles.

"It happens sometimes when a larger partner like America assists on an investigation like this one," said the official, who asked not to be identified because he lacks permission to speak with the press. "You know you are trading the additional resources they bring for a chance of increased leaks. In this case, I suspect the Brits are livid — I know we would be — to have a suspect ID'd before they're ready, and obviously the recent performance of the Trump administration on leaking sensitive information can't be far from anyone's mind if they examine [the situation]."

Even US officials were frustrated by the leak. Some called the US decision to release information about an ally’s investigation before even that nation had released it “unprofessional.” Others said that if it were the US investigating an attack, they could expect the UK to not release information about the case.

“The least we can do is give them that same respect,” one US official told BuzzFeed News.

Although it is unlikely the incident will hurt the sharing and coordination of information between the closely linked UK and US intelligence services, one US-based expert questioned why US officials would leak in the first place.

“Why get in the way of what they are trying to do?” asked Thomas Joscelyn, senior fellow at the Foundation for Defense of Democracies. “Follow their lead unless there is some good reason not to. The UK made a conscious decision to not release the suspect’s name. They have a good reason for doing that and US officials should probably wait for the UK to come out with specific details.”

The leaks come at a time when trust between the US intelligence services and others has been strained by the behavior of President Donald Trump, who shared classified details with Russian officials during an Oval Office meeting earlier this month.

Shashank Joshi, a research fellow at the security think tank Royal United Services Institute (RUSI), told BuzzFeed News British authorities may need to address the apparent leaks by US intelligence sources of information obtained from the UK.

"UK officials will have other priorities at the moment, but when the dust settles they will be concerned by the way in which British information was leaked by US officials, sometimes hours ahead of its confirmation," Joshi said. "Police and intelligence officials would have had their reasons to hold back on key details, such as casualty figures and the method of attack, but this was impossible in a more international, free-wheeling media environment."

Joshi added it was “dismaying” that US media had published — citing US intelligence sources — a suspect’s name at an early phase of investigation, but said it was not unprecedented for this to happen, citing examples including the naming of Mohammed Emwazi as the ISIS fighter known as “Jihadi John.”

Joshi said the day’s disclosures from US intelligence and military were “beyond the usual,” especially “given that most reputable US outlets consult with authorities as to whether publication will have damaging consequences.”

I can't see longterm professionals doing this, but I would assume that the WHwas in the loop as it was a major terrorist incident.

There are definitely times NOT to leak.

The availability of 24/7 news has made the media rush and try and find answers ASAP. They were trying to make sure to keep the name under wraps and any other information so people wouldn't rush to conclusions. Someone managed to see an opportunity for clicks and publish the name among other things before UK officials were ready to release that information.

The amount of Islamophobia running rampant is troubling. Lyle Lanley is an Ariana stan and the comments on her Facebook post are downright disgusting. It's disrespectful to those who died and injured to push your own narrative. Let us stop for a few minutes and realize running down Islam does nothing. It doesn't console the families. It doesn't console those who were injured. It doesn't console those who were in the area.

Of course it's too much to ask.

I didn't see this posted, but there was a homeless man who helped some of the victims.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/23/europe/homeless-man-manchester-attack/index.html

I learned earlier today to just not read the comments on Facebook because of the rampant Islamaphobia on there. I'm just glad I don't have a Twitter account as the Facebook stuff was bad enough.

16 hours ago, sawasdee said:

I just made the mistake of reading comments on this on WaPo. The rampant Islamophobia from the right is horrifying.The calmest, and making most sense, are Brits actually in and around Manchester,who are saying that , amongst other things, Muslim taxidrivers worked for free all night helping those affected, and some Muslims are not all Muslims.

There's one or two right wingers around but they are getting shot down pretty quickly. The so called english defence league showed up to protest in the city centre yesterday and were told where to go. People are angry that this is being used as propaganda by these shameful pricks. 

The true spirit of Manchester has come through this past few days. Strangers comforting each other and mass amounts of people providing rooms, food ect. Blood banks are having to turn people away now. There's a heavy sadness over the city for the lost of so many beautiful innocent people, but there's strength and an understanding that we will get through it together. 

The local tattooists are holding a charity weekend to raise money. The Manchester Bee will be tattooed for £50 and all money to charity, my daughters booked in. 

My own delightful sil shared a picture of a Muslim woman on Facebook with the caption 'you and your clan can fuck off'. My brother and I have different dad's and mine is Arabic, although I'm sure she will say 'well I don't mean you, you're ok' and 'it's just my opinion, I'm not racist'.  I'm supposed to be having a family meal for my birthday this weekend and I'm putting my foot down. I'll be sharing my birthday with people I like not people I felt I had to tolerate, those days are over. 

@Gemini you go girl, don't invite such nasty persons. SIL and her clan can just fuck off. 

And in other news, I do really hope the Ajax-Manchester game tonight goes without any incidents/attacks like this. Amsterdam (Ajax' hometown) is overcrowded and the city asked people not to come anymore but to find 'creative solutions' to view the match.

Anytime you see a facebook post/twitter post that starts with "I'm not racist/prejudice but..." you know you're in for a bad time. 

12 minutes ago, Chewing Gum said:

@Gemini you go girl, don't invite such nasty persons. SIL and her clan can just fuck off. 

And in other news, I do really hope the Ajax-Manchester game tonight goes without any incidents/attacks like this. Amsterdam (Ajax' hometown) is overcrowded and the city asked people not to come anymore but to find 'creative solutions' to view the match.

Thank you :) 

Just watching the match at home now. Man Utd's stadium has been closed since the attacks, I've never known that happen before.  

@Gemini Ugh I feel for you having an eejit like that for a sister in law. She can take a long walk off a short pier.

Happy birthday for the weekend!

@Ais indeed you're right. Good old Norn Iron (northern ireland). Though I've seen other people using it on fj so it seems to be more widespread than I thought.

@EmainMacha my granny uses eejit and she's a wee white haired lady from Fife. Always thought it was a good word.

1 hour ago, Ais said:

@EmainMacha my neck of the woods too! I keep forgetting not everyone here is American 

I'm Northern Ireland too :)

@Gemini you are right not to invite your sister in law to your birthday dinner if she is that ignorant. I have unfollowed people on Facebook if they have shared posts by Britain First or EDL, someone also made a comment about all Muslim's being to blame for until someone else said I'm catholic am I to blame for all the bombing the IRA did. 

@Glasgowghirl I've used that exact argument. And I've had to remind some people that it wasn't too long ago that they were being 'randomly selected' for checks at the airport or told to apologise for bombings they had nothing to do with. I despair sometimes at how quickly people forget things.

41 minutes ago, EmainMacha said:

@Glasgowghirl I've used that exact argument. And I've had to remind some people that it wasn't too long ago that they were being 'randomly selected' for checks at the airport or told to apologise for bombings they had nothing to do with. 

Yes, people have short memories. I feel for Asian people who are being abused by  racist idiots at the moment.

I've been working up to this post and I didn't know where to put it, Facebook is too personal and the only other online place I go is here. 

The news of what happened on Monday has had me shaken up for days. My heart breaks for the families that lost loved ones. 

Terrorism has been a backdrop to my life. IRA bombings in the 80s/90s and then all of the stuff that's happened in the last 16 years. However no attack has affected me like this. I grieved and was shocked by 9/11, 7/7 and what happened a couple of months ago in London but Manchester is a place I know well and adore. I'm constantly going to gigs at its many wonderful venues, including the arena. The entrance from Victoria station is the one I use because of the trams. It makes me dizzy to think of what happened there. 

The place I live is about 30 miles east of Manchester but some of the victims are from around here. Their poor families. 

Leeds is the next big city close to Manchester and that's where I work. Seeing the streets full of police with huge guns is shocking. Big city noise is now terrifying, hearing the sounds of sirens outside the window made me feel so sick. We have a lot of Muslims at work, I love them and know this act wasn't in their name.

I'm sorry I'm rambling and I've made this post all about me, I do feel very selfish, but I'm genuinely fucked. This has to stop. 

Please spread love in the world, guys. We need it. 

Archived