IGNORED

Joy and Austin: It's the Final (Wedding) Countdown!

choralcrusader8613

Wait...was Mary still assumed to be pregnant for 9 months? How does it work with conception and Christmas being 3 weeks apart?

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, neurogirl said:

Wait...was Mary still assumed to be pregnant for 9 months? How does it work with conception and Christmas being 3 weeks apart?

The Immaculate Conception refers to the conception of Mary not of Jesus.  Catholics believe she was conceived without original sin hence the title "immaculate".

The immaculate conception refers to Mary's conception, not her son's.

2 minutes ago, Nutella Ace said:

The Immaculate Conception refers to the conception of Mary not of Jesus.  Catholics believe she was conceived without original sin hence the title "immaculate".

Jinx!

3 minutes ago, neurogirl said:

Ooh my bad! Non-Catholic with apparently poor reading skills!

Forgiven!!!

I think there used to be one or two more. Maybe. 

2 minutes ago, neurogirl said:

Ooh my bad! Non-Catholic with apparently poor reading skills!

S'alright.  Confuses lots of folks. 

3 hours ago, Incognito22 said:

Pippa's dress was really beautiful.  Was that the bridesmaid dress Kate was wearing?

Kate wasn't a bridesmaid because she thought it would upstage her sister. She was just helping with the page boys/girls.

Not sure if it's today or next weekend, but....envisioning it's happening right now filled me with an honestly deep sadness. Joy is the youngest of all her sisters to get married and if she wasn't in this family, she'd probably be on summer break from college off doing something fun this weekend, not thinking about when/if she'll get pregnant soon and preparing for that. Of all the Duggar in-laws, I think that Austin comes across as the sweetest and most genuine, and I suspect he'll treat her well (not a ton of evidence of course, so ymmv). But that doesn't make this brainwashing & forced life path taking place in 2017 any less sad.

We used to get a week off school in the UK for Whitsun. Of course, that was when dinosaurs still roamed the earth. Don't know what they do now.

Ascension Day is a bank holiday in Norway as well.  Got to love May, there's so many holidays. International Workers' Day, Constitution Day, Ascension Day and sometimes Pentecost. 

I was just in Denmark, and they have something called "store bededag" (or "Great prayer day") the 4th Friday after Easter. It's just a collection of minor Christian holy days consolidated into one day.

The only thing I don't like about the wedding being next weekend is that I have to finish up my bachelor's thesis then. No time for Duggars! 

18 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Kate wasn't a bridesmaid because she thought it would upstage her sister. She was just helping with the page boys/girls.

Kate couldn't be a bridesmaid anyway.  She could be matron of honor.  UK news was calling the little girls bridesmaids.

19 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I remember during the royal wedding coverage that the media made a big deal out of Pippa being MOH. I think it was something to do with only children traditionally being included as Bridesmaids or something. I could be so wrong though, so don't quote me.

27 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I remember during the royal wedding coverage that the media made a big deal out of Pippa being MOH. I think it was something to do with only children traditionally being included as Bridesmaids or something. I could be so wrong though, so don't quote me.

I've heard both adults and kids being called bridesmaids. Usually younger girls are called flower girls but they can be called bridesmaids. 

So is this wedding happening or not? I kind of just want to see Pickles be wrong about her claims. Lol

I don't remember a thing from Confirmation classes. I know that we sat in the church and talked a lot, I just don't think that we were very on topic. 

A broken clock is right twice a day. One of these times that we guess a wedding date/pregnancy/whatever we will eventually be correct lol

4 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

January 1, Solemnity of Mary

Thrsday of the sixth week after Easter...The Ascension

August 15...The Assumption of Mary

November 1.   The Solemnity of All Saints

December 8...The Immaculate Conception of Mary

December 25....Christmas

OOPs. That's just 6. 

1 January: Solemnity of Mary, the Holy Mother of God

6 January: Solemnity of the Epiphany of the Lord

19 March: Solemnity of Saint Joseph, Spouse of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Thursday of the sixth week of Eastertide: Solemnity of the Ascension of the Lord

Thursday after Trinity Sunday: Solemnity of the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ

29 June: Solemnity of Saints Peter and Paul, Apostles

15 August: Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

1 November: Solemnity of All Saints

8 December: Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary

25 December: Solemnity of the Nativity of the Lord (Christmas)

@VelociRapture You are correct. According to my housemate (who is quite knowledgeable on the subject) in traditional/aristocratic weddings children serve as bridesmaids and pageboys.

1 hour ago, sunshine said:

I am listening to Sierra online and she stated that Joy did not get married today.

I'm kinda surprised they would let her even comment on it. Bet JRod is SEVERELY distressed she can't share. Probably about to blow her ears off from keeping her mouth shut. 

9 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

I'm kinda surprised they would let her even comment on it. Bet JRod is SEVERELY distressed she can't share. Probably about to blow her ears off from keeping her mouth shut. 

Sierra has been asked that question over and over again during her live sessions and she has ignored them. Today, she stated nope and that is it with the Joy questions.

1 hour ago, JesusHDuggar said:

A broken clock is right twice a day. One of these times that we guess a wedding date/pregnancy/whatever we will eventually be correct lol

FJ wasn't wrong. Pickles was. I think most of us had already thrown in for next weekend.

It's probably safe to assume that they know what the Ascension is even if they don't know that's it's name and just refer it it as Jesus going back to heaven. You can't really get away from it on the Evangelical side of things because it happened just after the command to, "Go and make desciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit". <--It's been a long time since I've been paid to memorize scripture so a few of the words might be off. 

In my experience on the Fundi-lite/Reform/Evangelical (10 denominations in 15 years) side of things the Ascension generally isn't celebrated as a day so much as it's talked about throughout the year and always through the lens of the Great Commission. 

Pentecost, on the other hand, is sometimes marked with a sermon on the actual date. 

In Germany we have the Thursday off as well. A lot if people will take the Friday off too and enjoy their short week and loooooong weekend. 

I will enjoy a very quiet day at the office on Friday though and wait patiently for my turn in October.

8 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Many of them don't even like saying Christmas and Easter.  Too pagan y'know? 

Probably too Catholic for many, as well. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived