IGNORED

Latest fashion trend: jumpsuits for men.

47of74

21 hours ago, 47of74 said:

I remember how the actors didn't care too much for some of the uniform designs.  For example George Takei said the ones from the first movie were really uncomfortable and they needed assistance getting in and out of them even for using the restroom.  The snazzier uniforms used for the rest of the original series films were brought about because the cast wasn't too up on the idea of any more filming in those uniforms.  

Then there were the tight spandex uniforms in the first and second seasons of Next Generation.  Patrick Stewart claimed his chiropractor thought he should sue Paramount because the small uniforms caused strain on his back.

I guess my favorites would be the ones from the third through seventh season of TNG, followed by the ones the original cast wore starting with the second Star Trek movie.

My niece graduated from college last week, & the dress she wore was VERY reminiscent of a Star Trek woman officer's uniform (from the original series, not TNG). I got a kick out of it, even if she isn't/wasn't familiar with Star Trek.

On 5/25/2017 at 7:23 AM, LadyCrow1313 said:

My niece graduated from college last week, & the dress she wore was VERY reminiscent of a Star Trek woman officer's uniform (from the original series, not TNG). I got a kick out of it, even if she isn't/wasn't familiar with Star Trek.

I'm scoping out all the various fashion pieces they don't make in extra large sizes that I want to wear after I have surgery and the weight starts to come off. 

• 2 weeks later...

And to go along with the rompers and jumpsuits we now have lace wear for men...

bustle.com/p/lace-shorts-for-men-are-the-latest-fashion-trend-people-are-confused-61938

Viral fashion trends like Topshop's see-through "jeans" have been everywhere lately, but this is one that I can guarantee that you didn't see coming. Lace shorts for men are now a trend thanks to designer and owner of the brand Hologram City Hoza Rodriguez, who, according to Allure, made the first pairs for a music video. Soon, you'll be able to buy them yourself. I'm talking five pastel shades of lacy, see-through outfits like you've never seen before. While some people are seeing this as a major win for the smashing of gendered fashion, others are not so sure what to think.

Taking fashion cues from other genders isn't new — as Allure points out, brands like Zara and H&M even have unisex apparel lines today. But lately people have been redefining menswear like never before. It all started with the RompHims that popped up on Kickstarter. As the name suggests, they're rompers specifically marketed toward people who identify as male. Now, the brand Hologram City has created see-through lace shorts as well, which, judging by the ad campaign, are also targeted at male identifying consumers.

Basically, Hologram City's designs feature your typical button-up shirt and shorts combo, but made completely out of lace. Both the top and the bottom are see-through and come in pastel purple, pink, blue, green, and yellow. Unlike RompHims, you'll have to buy each part of the new fashion trend separately if you want to nail the whole look.

Here's a tweet complete with picture of some guys modeling this stuff...

If nothing else, the lace clothes would keep someone cool in the summer.

The biggest defenders of the romper in my circle of friends are a bunch of gay men/occasional drag queens who think NOTHING of viciously tearing down other people for wearing something that they don't think is appropriate for someone's age, weight, etc.  God forbid someone run to the store in old sweatpants; sisters will shame the hell out of the offender.  Guys in jean shorts should be wiped from the face of the earth, according to these folks.  Chubby girl not covered to the elbows and knees?  She "deserves" the scorn they give her.  In person, on social media, whatever. 

So it's really funny to see them take male rompers as a hill to die on (I get that there's an issue with them being effeminate and that being "bad", but these folks cannot take what they constantly dish out.) 

I'm all for anyone wearing whatever they want.  I'm not going out in leggings-as-pants or short-shorts, but I think phrases like, "just because they make it in your size doesn't mean you should wear it" are offensive (more offensive than men in rompers, although if the late Mr. Womb had brought them home, they'd have gotten "destroyed" in the laundry.) 

2 hours ago, Closed Womb said:

"just because they make it in your size doesn't mean you should wear it"

I always reply: just because you have a mouth does not mean you should talk like that.
As a teenager i was taught to use "what you wore the other day was more flattering". Personally I prefer the direct praise when someone (me included) wears something that suits them. Who doesn't like to hear to look drop-dead gorgeous ? Or at least really well dressed?

28 minutes ago, Red Jumper said:

I always reply: just because you have a mouth does not mean you should talk like that.
As a teenager i was taught to use "what you wore the other day was more flattering". Personally I prefer the direct praise when someone (me included) wears something that suits them. Who doesn't like to hear to look drop-dead gorgeous ? Or at least really well dressed?

Me. I honestly don't care when people compliment my clothing, it makes me feel awkward and weird. And I don't like it when my coworkers are more focused on my appearance then anything else.  I hate all of the nonsense about "flattering" and "wear what suits your body type" and "be professional." Professional just means that you are paid to do what you are doing. "Wear what suits your body type" is just saying that things that are traditionally shameful (being short, different proportions, large breasted) are worth covering up. 

And it comes from everyone. "Don't compliment the body, compliment the clothes" is bullshit too. I didn't work for my clothing. Don't compliment my accessories or my clothing. I didn't make them. I didn't do anything to earn this outfit other than being lucky enough to get a job that happens to pay enough that I can occasionally spend money to buy clothing so I can keep my job. I'd rather not waste my money on my "professional" wardrobe, but apparently my job requires it. Give me some yoga pants, leggings-as-pants, and 'clothing that's too young' for me anyday! 

I agree coworkers focusing on appearance only is weird. I guess I am lucky that I have coworkers who make me feel smart, skilled, hard-working, honest and sometimes tell me they like my outfit.

I think the compliments for clothing are compliments for choosing something the other person likes (or likes on you). I can only hope the appearance compliments are irrespective of your skills, your smartness, your achievements, and your personality.
I believe one can be smart and well-dressed.

@flattering: when you look in the mirror there is never a moment of considering yourself more beautiful than at the other moment when you just wore something practical for cleaning the house? When you shop for clothes there is never a moment of "this looks good on me"?

No offense please, I just haven't heard of anybody who does not like to look good or being told so (there is always a first, so perhaps you are my first)

I agree that the body-type phrases are sometimes about hiding the bits that we think are not how we think we should look. But I noticed that outfits other consider flattering on me are sometimes in stark contrast to what I think is not picturesque.

I can understand a dislike for dressing up for a job or having to wear something that you feel like your true self. I know one can be as smart no matter what one wears. I still appreciate it when doing business we are not in our underwear. This is surely an exaggeration. I think job appropriate clothing is a question of courtesy. But because there are so many kinds of jobs I think it hugely varies what is appropriate. I haven't held any job where I would have liked to see my coworkers in underwear all day ;-) But I held one where a coworker wore leggings as pants nearly all the time and it was no big deal at all.

3 hours ago, Red Jumper said:

I agree coworkers focusing on appearance only is weird. I guess I am lucky that I have coworkers who make me feel smart, skilled, hard-working, honest and sometimes tell me they like my outfit.

It's not that they don't, necessarily, but the intersection of "fashion" with business is a form of gatekeeping.  How we dress signals culture, economic status, social power, and even moral standards. It's easy to exploit that in business. I'm saying that while I might "dress the part" I'm not happy about it and I do not enjoy the complements. 

I think the compliments for clothing are compliments for choosing something the other person likes (or likes on you). I can only hope the appearance compliments are irrespective of your skills, your smartness, your achievements, and your personality.
I believe one can be smart and well-dressed.

The compliments are also used to manipulate people. I had a boss that did not like my admin, nor how she dressed. He would "compliment" her when she wore clothing that he deemed appropriate and "professional." Both him and his assistant let me in on their "secret" to try to get her to "be presentable." Personally, I think that she gave him a boner and he didn't like that and wanted her to dress like an extra from little house on the prairie. 

@flattering: when you look in the mirror there is never a moment of considering yourself more beautiful than at the other moment when you just wore something practical for cleaning the house? When you shop for clothes there is never a moment of "this looks good on me"?

I don't think of myself as "beautiful" regardless of what I'm wearing. All of my clothes fit and are comfortable. When they are unacceptably worn out, I get rid of them. If they are stained I clean them and don't wear dirty ill fitting things. I don't "shop" in the traditional way because I abhor trying on clothing. 

If I'm not overweight and unhealthy, I'm going to look like me. I'm not going to change who I am by putting on different clothing. 

No offense please, I just haven't heard of anybody who does not like to look good or being told so (there is always a first, so perhaps you are my first)

I didn't say I don't like being told I look nice. But "looking nice" to me has nothing to do with my clothing. Clean, styled hair, make up (because I do not have naturally good skin without going through the 20 minute Korean skin care routine twice a day), keeping my weight at a healthy BMI, building a little bit of muscle? That's all much more important to my "look" than if I wear leggings and a lularoe shirt or high heels, a dress, and carry the "right" kind of handbag. 

Telling me you like my shirt does nothing for me. Especially since I probably hate it if I'm at work. 

I agree that the body-type phrases are sometimes about hiding the bits that we think are not how we think we should look. But I noticed that outfits other consider flattering on me are sometimes in stark contrast to what I think is not picturesque.

People loved to tell me how I should wear this and that and this would look so great and that would be wonderful. It's all just a way of saying "i don't think you are OK until you dress like I want you to." It's just another way of exerting control over people you feel that you are better than. I loved the way I dressed in college. My roommates who came from a different culture did not and spent so much time trying to change me. I wasted so much money not being true to myself and caring about what other people think about MY clothing. 

Futhermore, being short, I get a lot of people trying to put me in things that I absolutely hate. So what If my clothing makes me look shorter or gives me a weird line? I'm short. I can't hide it. You can look at me and see that I'm not tall. I"m done trying to force myself into high heels, not wearing current fashions that I like because "i'm too old, too short, too busty, etc." 

I can understand a dislike for dressing up for a job or having to wear something that you feel like your true self. I know one can be as smart no matter what one wears. I still appreciate it when doing business we are not in our underwear. This is surely an exaggeration. I think job appropriate clothing is a question of courtesy. But because there are so many kinds of jobs I think it hugely varies what is appropriate. I haven't held any job where I would have liked to see my coworkers in underwear all day ;-) But I held one where a coworker wore leggings as pants nearly all the time and it was no big deal at all.

I'd be fine with people getting over this fear of nudity and underwear. We all have bodies. Just own them. 

Thank you Maggie Mae for your long reply. I refrain from responding not because I disagree or didn't like to hear what you say. I refrain because it is really a lot that I want to think about. There are quite some points that are showing me a new perspective to look at things. Thanks for sharing!

• 2 weeks later...

And now we have the Kim Jong Un romper.

You're welcome.

Now you know if there was a similar one of Agent Orange some of his groupies would wear it.

I own a romper. It's cute, but going to the bathroom is an adventure. Either I'm basically ass-naked in a public bathroom, or I'm doing the ol' one-piece swimsuit pull-to-the-side trick and hoping my aim doesn't fail me. Jumpsuits strike me as worse because you can't even do the pull-to-the-side.

As for dressing professionally/flattering-ly...I think of dressing professionally as dressing like you give a shit. You don't have to wear Armani suits or heels, but if you look clean, neat, and like you gave thought to what you put on, you look professional. As for flattering, I think that all the "make yourself look taller/thinner/less boobed" stuff is bullshit, but I also think that if you're wearing something that's falling down, riding up, squeezing stuff unnaturally, or just not hanging right, it won't look good. Let me give you an example: I'm looking for a dress to wear for my graduation ceremony this September. I found a really pretty dress in my size, and decided to give it a shot. It zipped, it looked great in the waist, but my bra was half out (32DD, bras are non-negotiable) and the length was just weird on me. I was going to be hiking it up and walking awkwardly all night if I wore it. It wasn't flattering because it was going to be uncomfortable on me and not let my true self shine.

Years ago, my late father was a big fan of cotton/poly jumpsuits with an elastic waist for casual days. My mother used to buy them at some place like Sears or Montgomery Wards. They were not very attractive on him, but he sure did love his jumpsuits!

The thing I really don't like about those lace outfits for men, is the pockets in the shorts. I completely understand wanting pockets in your clothing, but when the garment is made of a sheer material, I just don't like the way it ends up looking. Plus, lace is not a particularly sturdy fabric, so the odds are quite high that a set of keys in a pocket will snag or tear the lace on the first wearing. 

10 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Now you know if there was a similar one of Agent Orange some of his groupies would wear it.

I thought we were friends, why do you torment me with such disturbing mental images?? :shock: 

I have a friend on facebook,okay I accidentally clicked on his name sending a friend request..have done that several times.Hell,the first time I sent a text...it was supposed to go to my son,it went to EVERY contact but my son,the girls at work got a good laugh at that one.Anyway ,the friend went to visit his kids,his brother dared him to put on a romper....he did,complete with his boots..his girlfriend posted I can't believe you did that..he said never dare him to do anything.I wish I could share the picture,but see above..who knows what could happen...LOL>

Went out to a local bar last night. There was a young man, maybe mid-20s, wearing a romper. His girlfriend called it a "romp-him." It was hot pink/orange with pineapples printed all over. It made my drink taste bad. He seemed happy, though, so....

Archived