IGNORED

Trump 18: Info to Russia, With Love

Destiny

19 hours ago, sawasdee said:

And my new favourite name for the TT - "Hair Furore" - courtesy of a WaPo commenter.:cracking-up:

We really need a thread/post listing all the alternative names for Drumpf. No, I'm not going to do it, but I crack up at some of them, which is badly needed levity. Call me lazy, its OK.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JMarie said:

It's not about the graduates, young adults with bright futures.  No, it's all about him.  Every chance he gets, it's all about him.

I saw part of his "commencement address."  It sounded more like a campaign speech. Did they forget he sought to cut funding for the Coast Guard?

59 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Take me with you.   Please.  Especially if the ship is the Millennium Falcon.

FJ road trip!  Who calls shotgun? 

28 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

FJ road trip!  Who calls shotgun? 

Me. But only if I can sit on Chewies lap... 

Claude Taylor just tweeted this: 

ETA: He just tweeted that there's a typo. It was meant to say SCIF not SKIF. 

Did someone post this yet? Trump gave money to Paul Ryan's super PAC in 2012.  Money leaves a great paper trail. 

James Comey is going to testify at a senate hearing, and it's going to be PUBLIC!

http://www.palmerreport.com/politics/public-comey-trump-senate/2900/

When former FBI Director James Comey declined the Senate’s request last week to testify in the wake of his firing, some feared that he was turning tail and running away. But Palmer Report made clear that Comey was holding out because he wanted to testify in public. And now the Senate has announced that it’s agreeing to let him testify before the television cameras.

ETA: The article goes on to say that Comey hasn't agreed to the request yet, and that he will most likely force them to subpoena him so he'll have legal cover to share more information. 

I think they are starting to worry that they will be voted out if they don't do something: "Republicans increasingly call for answers on Comey, Trump conversations"

Spoiler

Congressional Republicans are increasing pressure on the administration to produce records related to the latest string of controversies involving President Trump, amid flagging confidence in the White House and a growing sense that scandal is overtaking the presidency.

As the White House sought to contain the damage from two major scandals, leaders of two key Senate committees asked the FBI for documents related to former director James B. Comey, who was leading an investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election before Trump fired him last week.

At the same time, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) broke his silence on the Comey affair to say lawmakers “need to hear from him as soon as possible.”

“I think we need to hear from him about whatever he has to say about the events of recent days, as soon as possible, before the Senate Intelligence Committee, in public,” McConnell said in an interview with the Wall Street Journal.

The comment came as the Republican chairmen and ranking Democrats on the Senate Intelligence and Judiciary committees asked the FBI to hand over Comey’s notes about his communications with the White House and senior Justice Department officials related to the Russia investigation.

The Judiciary Committee leaders also asked the White House to provide any records of interactions between Trump officials and Comey, including audio recordings. In a nod to lawmakers’ strong desire to hear from the former director, the Intelligence Committee leaders asked him to testify in both open and closed sessions.

Meanwhile, House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) has scheduled a hearing for next Wednesday on whether Trump interfered in the FBI’s investigation. Comey is invited to testify.

Chaffetz has also asked the FBI to produce records of communications between Trump and Comey.

Lawmakers’ requests came after news reports revealed Trump’s disclosure of highly classified material to Russian officials and an alleged attempt to shut down an investigation into his former national security adviser, Michael Flynn. On Thursday, Deputy Attorney General Rod J. Rosenstein will brief the full Senate on Comey’s firing.

The collision of the two stories Tuesday night left Republicans reeling, with a senior GOP senator comparing the situation to Watergate, and Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) directing the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform to immediately seek records from the FBI.

Ryan was careful to strike an evenhanded tone Wednesday, saying congressional committees would continue to conduct oversight “regardless of what party is in the White House” but seeming to dismiss some concerns that have arisen in the wake of news about a memo by Comey suggesting that Trump had pressured him to drop the Flynn investigation.

Ryan also questioned why Comey didn’t “take action” after his meeting with Trump.

“There’s clearly a lot of politics being played here,” Ryan said. “It is obvious there are some people out there who want to harm the president.”

Republicans have been more candid over the last two days in describing their concerns about Trump.

On Tuesday night, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) compared the current situation to the Watergate scandal while speaking at an International Republican Institute dinner.

“We’ve seen this movie before. I think it’s reaching the point where it’s of Watergate size and scale and a couple of other scandals that you and I have seen,” McCain told Bob Schieffer of CBS News.

“There’s a lot here that’s really scary,” Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) said Wednesday morning in an interview with conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt. “It’s obviously inappropriate for any president to be trying to interfere with an investigation.”

Sen. Patrick J. Toomey (R-Pa.) said he believes “changes are needed at the White House” to such a degree that he is calling for a Democrat to replace Comey as head of the FBI.

Republican leaders have so far fended off calls for a special prosecutor or independent commission to take over the Russia investigations. But signs of disagreement are increasing within the party.

Rep. Charlie Dent (R-Pa.), co-chairman of the moderate Tuesday Group, said the collective political fallout from the past week “will make it difficult” for Republicans to resist backing some sort of independent investigative body.

“We may have to move in that direction,” Dent said Wednesday at a forum moderated by Center Forward, a moderate Democratic organization.

Collins, a member of the Intelligence Committee, and Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) reissued calls Wednesday for the Justice Department to consider appointing a special prosecutor to probe Russia’s election interference.

And Rep. Justin Amash (R-Mich.), one of two House Republicans to endorse an independent investigation of the Comey matter, joined Rep. Carlos Curbelo (R-Fla.) in saying that if the details reported this week are true, they could be grounds for impeaching Trump.

White House press secretary Sean Spicer said reports about Trump pressuring Comey and sharing classified intelligence with the Russians are inaccurate. He did not directly answer whether Trump supports Comey testifying before Congress.

“The president is confident in the events that he has maintained and he wants the truth in these investigations to get to the bottom of the situation,” Spicer said in a gaggle on Air Force One. “There are two investigations going on in the House and Senate and he wants to get to the bottom of this.”

Democrats blasted House Republicans on Wednesday for doing little to probe Trump’s potential ties to Russia.

“They do as little as humanly possible just to claim that they’re doing something,” said Rep. Elijah E. Cummings (Md.), the ranking Democrat on the Oversight Committee.

“Our committee should already be conducting robust and transparent investigations,” said Cummings, who joined 32 other Democrats on Tuesday night in calling for his panel to partner with the Judiciary Committee on a new probe of Trump’s White House.

“Speaker Ryan has shown he has zero — zero, zero — appetite,” the Democrat said.

Democrats’ priority is advancing a bill from Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-Calif.) creating a bipartisan congressional commission to investigate Russia’s cyberintrusions, how the intelligence community handled the matter and the president’s potential involvement.

The Democrats are hoping to file a discharge petition — which requires the signatures of a majority of all House members — to compel GOP leaders to schedule a vote on the proposal. But the effort has not gathered much Republican support: as of Wednesday, The Post found only five GOP senators and 10 House Republicans open to some kind of independent investigation.

Republicans blocked another attempt to force a vote Wednesday on the House floor.

Many rank-and-file Republicans dismissed the controversies out of hand.

“It’s being made a bigger deal than what it is,” Rep. Barry Loudermilk (R-Ga.) said, maintaining that leaks to the media were a more serious matter.

Trump “doesn’t fit the model of a typical politician, and that’s what the real issue is here. He’s a business guy, and he wants to get things done.”

Rep. Robert B. Aderholt (R-Ala.) also was unperturbed by the latest reports. Back in Alabama, he said, there is “a lot of frustration that they’re not allowing him to do his job.”

In an interview with KIDO Talk Radio, based in Boise, Rep. Raúl R. Labrador (R-Idaho), who recently launched a bid for Idaho governor, said the Trump administration is making “many of the same mistakes” as the Obama administration.

It is unclear what Labrador believes took place during the Obama administration that is equivalent to Trump pressuring Comey or disclosing highly classified information to the Russians.

“They keep making things up, and they keep saying things that are not true,” Labrador said of the media, accusing journalists of being “complicit” with Democrats and the Russian government in trying to undermine American democracy.

“We need to be so careful about what we say about what a president does … Be very careful with what you say about the president,” he said.

Labrador is a complete buttwad. WTDH is he talking about? Also, I can't believe Chappass has actually scheduled a hearing. I hope he takes this seriously.

2 hours ago, fraurosena said:

I had to give my poor sore eyes a soft soothing massage, they rolled so hard after seeing this...

From the linked article:

The most surprising thing about the clip is that Bakker didn’t suggest what he surely thinks is the only cure for Apocalypse: A giant bucket of food. That’s his solution to everything.

I was giving Bakker a hard time about this same issue earlier this week over in the Jim Bakker and the doom buckets thread. I even shared my plan for how to sell more doom buckets off of this.

During this administration, even the third-rate televangelists are too damn stupid to take advantage of an easy way to make more money. WTH?

4 minutes ago, Destiny said:

No story to link yet. I'm watching live. 

Me too! I don't know anything about Robert Mueller. Or at least not much. I am happy to see someone that is from the FBI.

Claude Taylor is now tweeting this: 

And Louise Mensch just posted a new article on her blog: 

https://patribotics.blog/2017/05/17/comeys-fbi-computer-illegally-accessed-data-given-to-russian-diplomats/

Exclusive: Sources close to the intelligence community report that Director Comey’s FBI computer was illegally accessed immediately after he was dismissed from his post. They further report that ‘removable media’ was used in the commission of this crime. ‘Removable media’ is a category describing physical devices that can be placed into a computer, either to download information or to upload it, such as a memory card, a USB stick, a removable hard drive, a thumb drive or similar items.

Sources further report that a person or persons allied to Donald Trump passed data accessed from Director Comey’s computer to Russian diplomats. It is not known when or how this took place. A piece of removable media containing all the data in question has been recovered from hostile actors, sources say, and is now in the possession of the Justice Department.

Director Comey is said to have known in advance that Mr. Trump would dismiss him. He took careful steps, these sources say, to leave not only a paper trail as we have seen in the story of the ‘Comey Memo’ but also a digital one. Director Comey’s own primary work computer, and other computers in and around his former office, were fitted with sophisticated intelligence community software allowing the Justice Department to see precisely how and when they were attacked.

Mensch said that she and Taylor have separate sources for this story. The last time they did a joint story like this it took 10 days for the mainstream media to pick up the story (and pretend like they were the first ones reporting it.) I really hope it doesn't take that long this time. 

HA!

Justice Dept. to appoint special counsel to oversee probe of Russian meddling in election

The Justice Department has decided to appoint a special counsel to investigate possible coordination between Trump associates and Russian officials seeking to meddle in last year’s election, according to Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein.

Robert Mueller, a former prosecutor who served as the FBI director from 2001 to 2013, has agreed to serve in the role, Rosenstein said. The move marks a concession by the Trump administration to Democratic demands for the investigation to be run independently of the Justice Department. Calls for a special counsel have increased since Trump fired FBI Director James B. Comey last week.

“In my capacity as acting attorney general I determined that it is in the public interest for me to exercise my authority and appoint a special counsel to assume responsibility for this matter,’’ Rosenstein said in a statement. “My decision is not a finding that crimes have been committed or that any prosecution is warranted. I have made no such determination. What I have determined is that based upon the unique circumstances, the public interest requires me to place this investigation under the authority of a person who exercises a degree of independence from the normal chain of command.’’

He said Mueller has agreed to resign from his private law firm to avoid any conflicts of interest.

Rosenstein is overseeing the Russia probe after Attorney General Jeff Sessions recused himself. Democrats have challenged Rosenstein’s impartiality in the Russia probe because he wrote a memorandum used as the rationale for Comey’s firing. In the memo, Rosenstein said Comey had violated longstanding Justice Department practices in his handling of the investigation into Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server, but shortly after the announcement of the firing the president said he’d decided to fire Comey before he received the recommendation from Rosenstein.

Under the order signed Wednesday by Rosenstein, Mueller is tasked with investigating “any links and/or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the campaign of President Donald Trump’’ as well as “any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation’’ and any other matters that fall under the scope of the Justice Department regulation covering special counsel appointments.

“If the special counsel believes it is necessary and appropriate, the special counsel is authorized to prosecute federal crimes arising from the investigation of these matters,’’ the order states.

Officials said the appointment was being made under a Justice Department statute that has only been used once, in 1999, though the Justice Department has made other special counsel appointments more recently under different authority.

I've never heard of Robert Meuller. Does anyone have any insight on this? Do you think he would be unbiased and do a good investigation? 

I've never heard of Robert Meuller. Does anyone have any insight on this? Do you think he would be unbiased and do a good investigation? 

Everyone on CNN seems to love him. I vaguely remember his name - he was director of FBI for quite a few years. I think.

1 minute ago, Destiny said:

Everyone on CNN seems to love him. I vaguely remember his name - he was director of FBI for quite a few years. I think.

He was director during the Bush years, including 9/11 timeframe. Also the director during the first part of the Obama presidency, I think Comey took over from him. I just heard he is well liked and respected within the FBI which I think is good. I am watching MSNBC right now and they seem to like him as well.

17 minutes ago, RoseWilder said:

Claude Taylor is now tweeting this: 

And Louise Mensch just posted a new article on her blog: 

https://patribotics.blog/2017/05/17/comeys-fbi-computer-illegally-accessed-data-given-to-russian-diplomats/

Mensch said that she and Taylor have separate sources for this story. The last time they did a joint story like this it took 10 days for the mainstream media to pick up the story (and pretend like they were the first ones reporting it.) I really hope it doesn't take that long this time. 

Please let Louise be correct about this, and please let the all the details come out publicly and with proof.

The other big story right now is that Republicans talked last year about Trump being paid by Putin. https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/house-majority-leader-to-colleagues-in-2016-i-think-putin-pays-trump/2017/05/17/515f6f8a-3aff-11e7-8854-21f359183e8c_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_transcript-6pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.aa4fbfdf2226#comments

“There’s two people I think Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump,” McCarthy (R-Calif.) said, according to a recording of the June 15, 2016 exchange, which was listened to and verified by The Washington Post. Rep. Dana Rohrabacher is a Californian Republican known in Congress as a fervent defender of Putin and Russia.

House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) immediately interjected, stopping the conversation from further exploring McCarthy’s assertion, and swore the Republicans present to secrecy.

That sounds super shady of Ryan and shows that they knew this was a possibility and kept it covered up.

In addition, nightly news said how he works for a firm in DC which he'll be leaving to remain unbiased. Part of me wanted someone independent, but I guess it's okay with Mueller because he was a former fbi agent?

someone tweeted that it might not even matter because his findings will be confidential and there could only a prosecution if DOJ decides too.

3 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

In addition, nightly news said how he works for a firm in DC which he'll be leaving to remain unbiased. Part of me wanted someone independent, but I guess it's okay with Mueller because he was a former fbi agent?

I think finding someone that is completely without bias is nearly impossible. It sounds as if Mueller has been able to put his personal beliefs aside during previous investigations. He not only has experience within the FBI but as a prosecutor which I feel is a good thing. I think he might be as good as we can hope for.

I think appointing Mueller is a good first step. From what I've seen, he is a reasonable choice to be Special Counsel.

The NYT has published a bit more about Mueller. I thought this was interesting:

Members of both parties view Mr. Mueller as one of the most credible law enforcement officials in the country. He served both Democratic and Republican presidents, from 2001 to 2013, and was asked by President Barack Obama to stay on beyond the normal 10-year term until Mr. Comey was appointed.

The appointment is certain to soothe nerves at the F.B.I., where agents have felt under siege by Mr. Trump’s abrupt firing of Mr. Comey and his repeated criticism of their investigation into Russian interference in the election.

Analysts and agents who have briefed Mr. Muller tell some variation of the same story to show how exacting and relentlessly detail-oriented he is. The story involves a surveillance operation, with agents tailing a suspect in a car. Mr. Mueller is known to ask all the predictable questions about the suspect, and then pounce with, “What color is the car?”

In some tellings, the briefer responds, “Red,” only to be asked, “What shade?”

He is known inside the F.B.I. for that gruff, exacting management style — and for saving the institution. After the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, there were calls to break up the F.B.I. and create a separate domestic intelligence agency. Mr. Mueller, who came to the agency just one week before the attacks, beat back those efforts and is credited with building the modern F.B.I. He led the investigations into Al Qaeda while simultaneously transforming the agency into a key part of the national security infrastructure.

“He’s an absolutely superb choice,” said Kathryn Ruemmler, a former prosecutor and White House counsel under Mr. Obama. “He will just do a completely thorough investigation without regard to public pressure or political pressure.”

She added: “I cannot think of a better choice.”

John S. Pistole, who served as the F.B.I.’s deputy director under Mr. Mueller, also praised the appointment.

“You need an independent assessment of what the president has done, how he has done it and perhaps why he has done it,” said Mr. Pistole, who is now president of Anderson University in Indiana. “The appointment of Director Mueller is exactly what is needed to attempt to bring credibility to the White House when there are so many questions about the president’s actions and motives.”

34 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

The other big story right now is that Republicans talked last year about Trump being paid by Putin. https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/house-majority-leader-to-colleagues-in-2016-i-think-putin-pays-trump/2017/05/17/515f6f8a-3aff-11e7-8854-21f359183e8c_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_transcript-6pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.aa4fbfdf2226#comments

That sounds super shady of Ryan and shows that they knew this was a possibility and kept it covered up.

The other interesting aspect of this story is that this is the second time in the span of 22 hours that Claude Taylor and Louise Mensch's reporting has been backed up by the mainstream media. Which gives me hope that what they're saying today (about Comey's computer being stolen and about the arrests happening today) is correct. 

Louise Mensch just tweeted this: 

She was right about the part about Paul Ryan being on tape talking about the Trump-Russia stuff, and she had the scoop a week before the MSM. Now she's reminding us that she already reported a RICO case against the entire GOP. 

I've suspected all along that she was right about her Trump-Russia scoops, but now the mainstream media is backing up several of those scoops. 

A RICO CASE AGAINST THE ENTIRE GOP. Can you imagine the fallout to that. I can't wait to see the Republican party go up in flames. 

My concern now is that we need to keep up the pressure on everything else now that we got the special counsel. CNN keeps going on about how republicans are getting some breathing room from this and that's not good.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived