IGNORED

Sierra - Return of the Strawberries and New Babies

choralcrusader8613

Poor little Daylon - all I can ever think of is 'Dylon'. Poor wee tike.

- and I know wherein I speak: on hearing my name the midwife said to my Dad "You just CAN'T do that to a baby."

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, luxfilia said:

I love the name Asher, and since it's from the Bible (Jacob's son and one of the tribes of Israel) I don't see it as a total wildcard for her.

No, I mean A wild card in naming style. I am an observer of names and naming styles. People tend to stick to certain styles. For example Jinger is the wild card name in the Duggar family. She's the only one where they took a name that normally starts with G be changed it to J. If they had kids named Jorge, Jorja, and Jeraldine, she wouldn't be the wild card. 

6 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

At least 1,700* are FJers and people who read FJ. 

*Data compiled by the Ken Alexander School of Statistical Analysis

Well, if you get each Duggar to view and all the in laws to view too, you can come close to 2,000

30 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

No, I mean A wild card in naming style. I am an observer of names and naming styles. People tend to stick to certain styles. For example Jinger is the wild card name in the Duggar family. She's the only one where they took a name that normally starts with G be changed it to J. If they had kids named Jorge, Jorja, and Jeraldine, she wouldn't be the wild card. 

Gotcha. It does seem "different," from Ellyn, etc., but all of them are kind of trendy right now--even Asher-- at least in the southern U.S. where I live. But you're right, I'm just glad she didn't go with Ashyr.

15 minutes ago, luxfilia said:

Gotcha. It does seem "different," from Ellyn, etc., but all of them are kind of trendy right now--even Asher-- at least in the southern U.S. where I live. But you're right, I'm just glad she didn't go with Ashyr.

If she went with Ashyr then it would fit right in!

yuck.

9 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

They aren't too bad. Khai, Daylon (sp?), Asher, Edyn, and Ellyn. They are just kind of creative in the spelling. Except Asher. That's the wild card name.

I don't mind the girls names if spelt normally  and I like Asher

so girl #3 Everlyn or Evelyn or Eryn are my guesses. Or maybe she won't stick to the theme (hopefully not!) & actually spell the names traditionally.  

11 hours ago, actuallyjessica said:

Maybe she can copy Bristol Palin and call her kid Atlee.

Atlee? As in a misspelled version of the Prime Minister after Winston Churchill (and then Churchill was PM again after him)? Not that I expect Bristol or Sierra to know who Clement Attlee is.

2 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Atlee? As in a misspelled version of the Prime Minister after Winston Churchill (and then Churchill was PM again after him)? Not that I expect Bristol or Sierra to know who Clement Attlee is.

i have no idea what she was going for...

Speaking further of Wild Card names, I'm afraid Spurgeon will be the wild card name in that family. They went with Henry Wilberforce the second time around instead of making the first name weird and the second name ordinary. It makes me think maybe Jessa regretted making it Spurgeon Elliott instead of Elliott Spurgeon. Of course Jessa is to smug and proud to admit she has name regrets (which actually aren't uncommon) and may just go with more traditional names for first names from now on. Although I can see her going weird with a girl name. 

15 hours ago, meowfundiecatz said:

It was also the live video where pants were discussed. *She wears pants Y'ALL* What's the big deal? :P Also where, IIRC, she again tried to distance herself from the Duggars, yet not....so strange.

I miss all the good live videos. Stupid work. Shows me for thinking I can be a woman and mother and work. I should be at home being a good helpmeet and watching Sierra's InstaLive videos. How did she try to distance herself from the Duggars? Dammit I really miss all the good stuff

Ugh Tryndy names. There's 5 Brinlee/Brinley/Brynlee's at my kid's preschool. A bunch of Jaxon's too.

Don't get me wrong, I like different spellings sometimes. My friend's daughter is Lucie and I think that looks really pretty, but adding "lee" to everything gets on my nerves. 

I can get using different names or different spellings; adding a Y to things now won't make your child different. Everyone is adding a Y or changing a letter. 

31 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Ugh Tryndy names. There's 5 Brinlee/Brinley/Brynlee's at my kid's preschool. A bunch of Jaxon's too.

Don't get me wrong, I like different spellings sometimes. My friend's daughter is Lucie and I think that looks really pretty, but adding "lee" to everything gets on my nerves. 

These tryndy names always strike me as low class...

And who is Sierra going to take comparative pregnant belly shot pics with?  I hope not Jessa (but probably so)

28 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

These tryndy names always strike me as low class...

And who is Sierra going to take comparative pregnant belly shot pics with?  I hope not Jessa (but probably so)

From my observation, it is younger and lower class Americans that are more into the trendy spelling. So I admit to feeling classist and snobby when complaining about them. But I really just don't like those really different spellings.

Just now, Buzzard said:

How do you even pronounce that?

I'm guessing Lay-kin I went to school with a Lakin that was pronounced like that. 

38 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

#neverforget

Yes! Young Mormons tend to go with names like this. I never actually noticed until recently since I don't know many Mormons. But after looking through a lot of young Mormon women on social media, I definitely saw a trend. 

39 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

#neverforget

How could anyone forget that abomination? :P 

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

#neverforget

Who is this?  These names and these stupid spellings hurt my eyes.  This woman should read the chapter called "Would a Roshanda smell as sweet" in the book Freakonomics.  

I can't believe (well maybe I can) that Sierra is pregnant again.   The first thing I said when I saw that video was, "Jesus H. Christ.  Not again."  

I'm guessing Lay-kin I went to school with a Lakin that was pronounced like that. 

Doesn't Sierra have a sister named Laken? I think she's grown up around tryndy names. A lot of the people she's friends with have similar naming patterns for their children (i.e: Brecken). 

#neverforget

This should be brought out as exhibit A every time someone (usually a stupid pasty face) mentions that stupid urban legend about a black mom naming her twins Lemonjello and Orangejello (or other equally stupid legends) - because it seems like every time someone brings it up it's to make fun of minority parents and imply that whites are so much better at naming their kids. And, clearly, that's just not true. 

(And just to be perfectly clear - I'm white myself. So everyone, please don't get offended at me for calling other white people "stupid pasty face." :) )

i swear this is not an urban legend:  my sister works with a nurse who claimed to have had to talk a 16-year-old girl out of naming her soon-to-be-born daughter Placenta.  the girl apparently thought it was a flower.

9 minutes ago, catlady said:

i swear this is not an urban legend:  my sister works with a nurse who claimed to have had to talk a 16-year-old girl out of naming her soon-to-be-born daughter Placenta.  the girl apparently thought it was a flower.

Before we named our baby we told as many people as possible the intended name to make sure we werent missing something, whether it was an embarrassing historical figure or just something that would sound bad.  I can only hope that she DIDNT tell others the name because if they thought it was "pretty" we have a real problem!

15 minutes ago, catlady said:

Heard this one before about a 16 year old. Has to be an urban legend.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived