IGNORED

Mississippi funeral home allegedly refused to cremate gay man

47of74

This makes me feel stabby...

kcrg.com/content/news/Widower-files-suit-against-Mississippi-funeral-home-for-allegedly-refusing-to-cremate-gay-man-421444013.html

John “Jack” Zawadski and Robert “Bob” Huskey fell in love soon after they met in 1965. They lived together in California, Colorado and Wisconsin before they retired and settled in Picayune, Mississippi, in 1997.

Shortly after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in favor of nationwide marriage equality, Zawadski and Huskey married in Mississippi in July 2015. By then, Huskey’s health was failing. Soon after the wedding, he entered a nursing home, where he would live out his final days.

After Huskey, 86, died on May 11 of that year, the nursing home provided the Picayune Funeral Home with the necessary paperwork confirming his death and identifying Zawadski as his husband. The nursing home contacted Gaspari and informed him that the funeral home “adamantly refused” to pick up Huskey’s body for cremation, according to court documents obtained by ABC News.

The nursing home told Gaspari that after the funeral home received the paperwork indicating that Huskey’s surviving spouse was a man, it allegedly refused to provide services because it did not “deal with their kind,” according to court documents. The funeral home denies the charge.

Fuck the Picayune Funeral Home with a chainsaw!   Shit like this makes me furious!  :kitty-cussing:

Horrible, I understand when undertakers refuse to deal with mass murderers but rejecting to cremate someone just because of their sexuality is sick.

If they hate gay people so much you'd think they'd happily help send one off to the Great Beyond.  I guess the part where they'd be expected to do it respectfully is what they couldn't handle.

People need to get over themselves.  Does the person making the rules at the Funeral Home refuse medical services from gays?  How about if they needed a medical procedure to save their life and a gay man, a black woman, a Muslim, etc. was the only one who could do it?  Would they demand to know the orientation, race, religion, or political views of the person who donated a heart if their child needed it?  

The funeral home just made themselves look like tools in front of an entire nation.  :music-tool:

You'd think that fanatical bigoted fucks like them would enjoy setting gay people on fire.

I hope this makes them lose business, and I hope this wakes more people up to how petty and mean-spirited these "muh freedumz" laws and executive orders are. Care about religious freedom? Advocate for the rights of Muslims in Uttar Pradesh, who are being harassed and forced to shut down some of their businesses because of far-right Hindu nationalist politicians stirring up religious divisions. Advocate for Christians in Egypt and Iraq, who are being targeted for persecution by ISIS. Advocate for Uighur Muslims in China, who are having their rights to free religious expression curtailed by the government. Advocate for Yazidis, who are the victims of a genocide.

But who cares about a bunch of brown people who don't worship like you do? As far as these assholes are concerned, religious freedom is just a nice way of dressing up "I want to be a dick to everyone who isn't me". That ain't freedom, and that ain't the point of the First Amendment.

On 5/6/2017 at 3:43 AM, Flossie said:

Does the person making the rules at the Funeral Home refuse medical services from gays? 

Anyone who refuses to provide service to someone because of sexuality, race, gender, or anything else like that should somehow be required by law to refuse life-saving medical care from those people, and the care-givers shouldn't be required to call in someone else.  

16 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

You'd think that fanatical bigoted fucks like them would enjoy setting gay people on fire.

I hope this makes them lose business, and I hope this wakes more people up to how petty and mean-spirited these "muh freedumz" laws and executive orders are. Care about religious freedom? Advocate for the rights of Muslims in Uttar Pradesh, who are being harassed and forced to shut down some of their businesses because of far-right Hindu nationalist politicians stirring up religious divisions. Advocate for Christians in Egypt and Iraq, who are being targeted for persecution by ISIS. Advocate for Uighur Muslims in China, who are having their rights to free religious expression curtailed by the government. Advocate for Yazidis, who are the victims of a genocide.

But who cares about a bunch of brown people who don't worship like you do? As far as these assholes are concerned, religious freedom is just a nice way of dressing up "I want to be a dick to everyone who isn't me". That ain't freedom, and that ain't the point of the First Amendment.

I know I've mentioned it here before, but one thing former Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams did that I really liked was to tell western Christians who complained of being "persecuted" all the time to grow the hell up and stop that incessant whining.

huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/16/rowan-williams-persecuted-british-christians_n_3768502.html

Western Christians need to “grow up” and stop complaining of “persecution,” said Lord Rowan Williams, the former Archbishop of Canterbury, at the Edinburgh International Book Festival.

His experiences abroad meeting victims of actual religious persecution and violence led him to urge British Christians to make the distinction between feeling “mildly uncomfortable” and “the systematic brutality and often murderous hostility which means that every morning you get up wondering if you and your children are going to make it through the day.”

When you have any contact with real persecuted minorities you learn to use the word ‘persecuted’ very chastely. I think we are made to feel uncomfortable at times. We’re made to feel as if we’re idiots - perish the thought! But that kind of level of not being taken very seriously or being made fun of; I mean for goodness sake, grow up.

That's one thing that really irritates me - all this bullshit that various reich wing "Christians" engage in about being persecuted really pisses me off.  I feel what they did dishonored and cheapened not only Christians who have made the ultimate sacrifice for their faith, but humans of all religious traditions who made such a sacrifice.  It was probably one of the main reasons I left the Roman church in 2012 was all the reich wing Bishops and priests complaining about how their inability to discriminate = being persecuted.  It was hard to leave the parish I had been a member of, but damn I wish I had done it years sooner.  I might have saved myself some psychological issues if I had ditched the Roman church earlier on.

Don't get a job that requires you to do things that are against your religious beliefs or conscience. It's that damn simple.

Archived