IGNORED

Seewalds 22 - Funerals and Embryo Cake

choralcrusader8613

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm from Long Island and there's one word I hate that nobody around here seems to be able to pronounce correctly: Ask.

So many people I know say it like "axe". It drives me insane!

6 hours ago, shiverful said:

I am also Norwegian and I struggle so hard with that word. I pronounce it as litrahtjøreh, and have no idea if it is even close to correct.  

Maybe it is a Norwegian/Scandinavian thing? Just like how we can't saw w? That's where I got my username from, the wild wikings of the North! :pb_biggrin:

9 hours ago, melon said:

There were some more friends ,at work,and they are from the Philippines,they speak Tagalong  to each other.They'd talk about people,too.Not saying I never do.There was a group of temps,and one had a muffin top....they talked about her.They also insert English words for unknown or unremembered words.I got the gist of their conversation and one even asked if I knew their language.

Not to be the spell check police, but, it's Tagalog. Since we are on the topic of mispronounciations, I wanted to correct this before people might think it's the same name as the girl scout cookie, lol. Like Samoas being called SamoaNs.

Filipinos do use a lot of English words, so it's easy to get the gist of a conversation. It's pretty normal to do when casually taking to someone, but, they even do it on their news channels, just drift in and out of both languages so fluidly. To be fair, it was more of a laid back, entertainment kind of news show (Kababayan Today, if you've heard of it), but I've noticed that Filipinos use a lot of foreign words in their language. My husband is Filipino, and I asked his mom about it and she said that for the most part its just easier to say the English or Spanish word than the Tagalog one. My mother in law doesn't speak for all Filipinos of course, so that's just her own experience. I think there's also just heavy indoctrinization from Spain and the US that really left their mark on the language.

On another note, I'm Mexican and speak some Spanish, so I can tell what they're saying most of the time when they speak Tagalog, and they can get the gist of someone speaking Spanish. It makes it hard for us to talk shit around each other, lol. 

Dear Boston,

ITS PRONOUNCED "KELTICS", NOT "SELTICS"!

... this is my hill and I WILL die on it! :laughing-rolling:

1 hour ago, BackseatMom said:

Near Pittsburgh PA, there is a town called Versailles, pronounced by everyone as "ver-sails." 

There's a Versailles in Kentucky that pronounces it the same way. I was in a sociology class that made us watch The Queen of Versailles, this documentary: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Queen_of_Versailles. All of classmates kept pronouncing it 'Queen of Ver-sails.' and I was all:

oh-no-baby-what-is-you-doing_765x0_80.jpg

It's also hilarious when Siri or the navigation system tells to turn on Versailles Road, a major thoroughfare, and pronounces it in the French way...I always feel so fancy. :pb_lol:

FEB-yoo-air-ee. WENZ-day. I do hear people say 'FEB-roo-aire-ee' and admire their dedication to accuracy, haha.

I'm a Canadian (from 'extreme' Southwestern Ontario), and I'd like to clear a few things up...

About is pronounced 'aboat' NOT 'aboot'.

Out rhymes with coat, goat, and float.

The 'i' in 'writer' is different than the 'i' in 'rider'.

Sorry rhymes with story.

We don't just throw 'eh' around indiscriminately. It means, 'you know?' or, 'right?' ("Yeah, I know, eh?") or, 'I'm giving you information I believe you're already aware of' ("Remember when we saw her baby last week? She's really cute, eh?"), or, 'I'm seeking confirmation or denial from you' ("There's a sale on at the Beer Store, eh?")

Surefire way to tell if a person is from Michigan or Ontario: make them say, "Sorry about the cottage."

@singsingsing Hello from your Michigan neighbor! I agree with how you say February and Wednesday, but the quickest way to tell if you've crossed into Canada is definitely the pronunciation of out and sorry, like you said. Here, about/out sound like (ab)-ow-t and sorry rhymes with... starry? It's hard to find a rhyme for that one.

I knew somebody who said Wend-is-day.  Is it caramel car-mell or care-ah-mell? To go from pronunciations to different words for the same thing:  Blubber vs. water fountain; hero vs. grinder vs. sub;  coke vs. cola vs. pop vs. soda vs. soda pop.  These are he questions which vex our souls. Okay, that was a little bit of an exaggeration, but I do find it interesting. 

7 minutes ago, Mayluka said:

@singsingsing Hello from your Michigan neighbor! I agree with how you say February and Wednesday, but the quickest way to tell if you've crossed into Canada is definitely the pronunciation of out and sorry, like you said. Here, about/out sound like (ab)-ow-t and sorry rhymes with... starry? It's hard to find a rhyme for that one.

Hey neighbour! :) It's funny, some Michigan accents are really, really obvious, but some are really subtle. But if they say certain words, it's a dead giveaway!

37 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Dear Boston,

ITS PRONOUNCED "KELTICS", NOT "SELTICS"!

... this is my hill and I WILL die on it! :laughing-rolling:

I'm with you on that one. It is also my father's hill. He audibly gasps and looks like he might have an aneurysm whenever someone says SELL-tics. And I hate Boston for ruining it, because every time I correct someone it's always, "but the basketball team is the SELL-tics and they wouldn't say it wrong." YES THEY ARE IT's KEL-TICS.

The caramel/carmel argument is a big one in my house.

As is the pe-cahn, pe-can one.

How do you guys say bagel? I say Bay-gul but it seems that people from New Brunswick, say Bag-el. 

6 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

How do you guys say bagel? I say Bay-gel but it seems that people from New Brunswick, say Bag-el. 

I say it like bay-gull. But it's one of those words that I have a hard time saying because it just feels awkward.

ETA: Random thought, but I also have a hard time saying the word "wolf." My family used to make fun of me when I was little because I pronounced it like "woof," so now I tend to overpronounce the L.

Caramel - CARE-ah-mell

Pecan - PEE-can

Bagel: BAY-gull

My grandma's pronunciations are my favourite, though:

Theatre: thee-AY-ter

Chair: CHEER

Foolish: FOOL-eesh

12 hours ago, VeganCupcake said:

Oh and that birthday letter reads like a fan fiction.  SO juvenile. Lmao

Oh I don't know... 

I felt like it was one of the more genuine gestures we've seen, really from any of them. 

4 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Caramel - CARE-ah-mell

Pecan - PEE-can

Bagel: BAY-gull

My grandma's pronunciations are my favourite, though:

Theatre: thee-AY-ter

Chair: CHEER

Foolish: FOOL-eesh

Southern?

Oh, and my grandma does this weird sharp inhale thing at the same time she says 'yeah' or 'yep' to voice agreement. It's at the end of this video: 

Sounds exactly the same. I actually never even noticed she did it until I saw this video and was like, "Hey..."

Lancaster, PA, is pronounced "LANK-a-ster" NOT "Lan-Cast-er".. you can always tell when someone's from out of town..

I ran in here cause the thread was hot thinking something interesting had happened, lol

Michigan neighbor here too. Ask for a soda here and people look at you funny. Agree with you @singsingsing about Michigan accents. Metro Detroit varies from Grand Rapids and the U.P. is a whole 'nother thing.

Is it just me? For some reason I feel like the Seewald thread always produces the best and most interesting thread drift.

8 hours ago, wikinggirl said:

Norwegian over here, who speaks English with a Boston accent. Thank you, extended family! The worst word for me is litterature, I don't know why, it's just so hard to say! I also say banana weird, probably more British than American, so my American relatives tend to tease me about it. 

My mom's mom grew up in the Boston area, everyone else in Connecticut, but they ALL pronounce "drawer" as "draw." Until I WENT TO COLLEGE I thought you could either call it a drawer or just a draw. I didn't realize it was extreme Boston accent until college! lol My parents haven't lived in Connecticut in at least 15 years and they both still say draw every time. "Where's the pot holder?" "Oh in that draw right there" Cracks me up.

And we say "wuh-stah-sheer" sauce, not that I've ever used it for anything.

My husband's family is from Minnesota and while I could hardly understand his grandmother when I met her (used to it now and it's fine), his sister saying bag was the hardest for me. She pronounces it "bay-guh" she asked me like 5 times if I had 'a bay-guh" and I just had no idea what she was saying!

6 hours ago, Exposedknees said:

I grew up in Winston Salem NC in a part of town called " Buena Vista" ...pronounced B-YOU-nah Vista.:my_rolleyes:-it's a WS thing!

And we have different ways of saying Beaufort depending on whether you're in NC or SC- not to mention we both have a seaside town called Beaufort.

You say "Bow-fort" or "B-you-fort" depending on who/where you are... In NC we are the former.

and it's Byoo-fert in SC.  What's weird is that both Beauforts have Marine installations nearby although SC's is closer.  

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived