IGNORED

Ann Coulter: Desperate For Attention

GreyhoundFan

There has been so much back and forth about whether or not Drumpf  supporter Ann Coulter would be appearing at U.C. Berkley, that I was a little motion-sick. Well, one WaPo writer nailed AC. "Ignore Ann Coulter. She’s a boring performance artist, and she’s gaming us all."

President Trump may be the most successful conservative television producer in history, turning his ramblings and the vicious competition reality show that is his West Wing into must-see TV. But he’s hardly the only person turning politics into grim entertainment: On Wednesday, the provocateur Ann Coulter finally announced she wouldn’t be speaking at the University of California at Berkeley, after the kind of back-and-forth about free speech and security arrangements she thrives on. But if Coulter’s cancellation seems like a victory for the left, that assumption is a mistake. And the Berkeley brouhaha is the latest incident that has left me puzzled by why people who can’t stand Coulter and her ilk decline to use our most powerful weapon against them: our total and crushing indifference.

Coulter is like a distorted Tinker Bell: It’s not applause that saves her from fading out of existence, it’s shock and jeers. These days, her ability to elicit that reaction seems to be the main reason Coulter gets campus bookings in the first place. If it’s not, and if campus conservative groups have mistaken Coulter for any sort of serious or interesting thinker, than the campus right may be in even graver trouble than the campus left. Being willing to say anything deemed outrageous is not the same thing as having significant ideas.

This dynamic means that traditional protest tactics turn the people who oppose Coulter’s presence into her props. The bigger the demonstration, the louder the uproar, the more significant the threat of violence, the more proof Coulter has that she’s an exciting and dangerous figure conservatives can use to tweak liberals. If folks on the left refuse to be tweaked, much of the rationale for booking Coulter would disappear. You don’t need to fight to deny a platform to a speaker when you can, by remaining non-reactive, completely eliminate the rationale for booking her in the first place.

Someone who is so desperate to be seen as edgy that she’s referring to Trump as her “Emperor God” in an effort to cultivate a market among alt-right Twitter trolls isn’t a courageous radical, just a marketer chasing her shtick wherever it leads her. If liberals shouldn’t get pulled into the trap of providing Coulter with the animus she feeds on, college conservative groups, which often claim to be more intellectually rigorous than their liberal counterparts, should be embarrassed to be defending someone so utterly cliche. Coulter may enrage liberals, but it’s conservatives’ money she’s getting rich off of. A self-imposed period of silence about Ann Coulter would be good for liberals and conservatives alike.

I agree. I wish she would have spoken at Berkley and nobody showed up. That would deflate her ego.

• Upvote 7

One of my sister's friends posted an article how she should have been able to speak because even though she doesn't agree with any of whatever she says, she still deserves that right. I wish I had this article to go off on because the alt-right group from like that last Berkley showdown a few weeks ago was coming bearing weapons to defend Ann tonight (which the friend didn't think that was a problem? that violence could have really occurred and gotten out of hand).

But I agree she's just all crazy talk with no real substance and that her thing. Even with disagreeing with her she really isn't bringing any type of substance.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, apple1 said:

Ann Coulter should face it; she is now more irrelevant than Kayleigh McEnany.

Who's that?

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Flossie said:

Who's that?

Here are the statistics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayleigh_McEnany

Short interpretation: She is a Trump "surrogate" who defends everything Trump does. She would literally have some convoluted reason it was good if he were to murder someone in front of live television, she's that bad. Mostly she appears on CNN in those "argument" clips in which she argues with someone who doesn't like something Trump has done.

I have to mute the TV if she comes on. She drives me nuts.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

If Ann Fuckstick Coulter turns on you, you are having a bad day.  Is her little orange crush (sorry Michael Stipe) over?

• Upvote 4

I would literally rather listen to Sarah Palin for 60 minutes than Ann Coulter for one.  I mean if I had to listen to Sarah Palin for 60 minutes, I'd be doing other stuff (washing dishes, scrubbing toilets, texting, posting to FJ) while she mangled syntax in the background, but still, you know what I mean. 

• Upvote 4

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/06/17/ann-coulter-goes-on-anti-trump-tirade-suggests-pence-could-be-p/22421969/

Conservative commentator Ann Coulter has sounded off on President Trump in a recent series of tweets including one where she suggests Vice President Pence could quickly win support for the top job if he began advocating for the border wall with Mexico.

On Friday, she wrote, "This daily Trump melodrama is worth it ONLY if he's really going to build the wall, cut off Muslim refugees and deport illegals."

Coulter then added in a pair of messages, "Today's BORDER WALLCONSTRUCTION UPDATE: Miles completed yesterday—Zero; Miles completed since Inauguration—Zero. NEXT UPDATE TOMORROW. Anyone in a Southwestern state who strolls to the border & drops a brick will have done more to build the wall than @realDonaldTrump."

She finished the series by saying, "If @VP Pence were smart, starting making noises about how he'd LOVE to build a wall. He'd be sworn in as president about 2 weeks."

• Upvote 3

I love a good circular firing squad as much as anyone, but this is more like idiots crammed into a clown car who get out every lap to throw pies at each other. Hilarity ensues.  

• Upvote 5

• 4 weeks later...

Alt-right Barbie made the news again: "Ann Coulter had to switch seats on a Delta flight. Then came the tirade."

Spoiler

Back when nearly everyone else on the planet seemed outraged at United Airlines over the violent de-seating of a paying passenger, Ann Coulter, as she so often does, shared her own unique take.

“Sorry about the dragging,” she wrote in April. “But convicted pill-mill doctor should be deported.”

The bloodied passenger had a criminal history and immigrated from Vietnam, you see.

But so much for Coulter’s nuanced take on air travel. On Saturday, she declared “the worst airline in America” to be not United, but Delta Air Lines — which allegedly committed the offense of de-seating Ann Coulter.

Coulter didn’t just slam Delta for moving her from her “PRE-BOOKED seat” with extra leg room (to another seat in the same row, according to the airline). She also documented the experience in photos and tweet after tweet, which she shared with her 1.6 million followers, not to mention the wider spectrum of people fascinated by things Ann Coulter does.

So here is a member of the flight crew accused of “summarily snatching my ticket from my hand & ordering me to move w/o explanation, compensation or apology:”

Coulter also shared a photo of the woman who “waltz[ed in] at the last min” and took her seat, even though she is not “elderly, child or sick,” nor “an air marshal or tall person.”

That woman and two other passengers stare at Coulter in the photo — perhaps wondering what will happen now that they have been photographed by the same unpredictable commentator who once wished assassination upon John Edwards, declined to condemn an abortion doctor’s murder and joked about poisoning a Supreme Court justice.

Not pictured: Delta’s fritzy WiFi, which Coulter suspected was intentionally broken “to prevent passengers from tweeting from the plane about how they’re being treated.”

Coulter didn’t immediately reply to questions, including why she decided to photograph and publicize her co-flyer’s faces.

“It appears her new seat was in the same row, just not the exact seat she had selected,” a Delta spokesman wrote to The Washington Post, adding that the airline would reach out to her about her concerns on the New York-to-Florida flight.

A Delta spokesman told the Associated Press that the airline was reaching out to Coulter.

When it does reach her, they may have a lot to talk about.

Coulter has been an unhappy customer since at least 2010, when she wrote that her Delta flight to Portland got disrupted and that the ticketing agent she spoke with “deserves to be the worst employee multiple award-winner.”

A few years later, she wrote that she paid $1,500 for a ticket “near someone who smells like a NYC cabdriver.” At least she had WiFi — “but no electrical outlets on the plane. Like a soda fountain without cups. #Deltasucks.”

Coulter offered this advice at the time:

But she apparently didn’t take it, as she would keep flying Delta and complaining about Delta in subsequent years, up to this weekend’s Twitter eruption.

Other airlines don’t seem to inspire the same invective. Coulter had a brief Twitter spasm on a JetBlue flight in late 2015 — “BECAUSE THE CAPTAIN HASN’T ARRIVED YET. Now, we have to worry about him flying drunk.”

But a few weeks later she posted a picture of herself smiling docilely with “a JetBlue pilot who’s always on time.”

And midway through Saturday’s rant about her Delta trip, Coulter digressed to plug JetBlue’s free WiFi.

Even non-famous people’s airplane disaster stories have been making national news lately (ahem), so obviously Coulter’s account has drawn quite a lot of attention — if not always sympathy for the celebrity.

HuffPost accused her of seat-shaming the woman who took her extra leg room, for instance.

And some people couldn’t help but remember what she’d said about that United passenger, back when he found himself in similar circumstances — plus getting dragged down a plane aisle with a bloody nose.

I wish Delta would fly her to that island we keep discussing. One-way, of course.

• Upvote 7

Delta is pushing back hard at Ann Coulter on social media.  They've abandoned "the customer is always right" and are standing up for fundamental decency.   It might just be a brilliant PR strategy, but it's awesome. 

I'm doing my little happy dance, because two can play the social media game: 

From CNN Money: 

Delta Air Lines has hit back at what it called a "public attack" on its employees and customers by Ann Coulter, after the conservative pundit posted a series of angry tweets over an inflight seat mix-up she experienced over the weekend.

"We are disappointed that the customer has chosen to publicly attack our employees and other customers by posting derogatory and slanderous comments and photos in social media," Delta said in a statement on Sunday, further describing Coulter's behavior as "unnecessary and unacceptable...

...Delta expects mutual civility throughout the entire travel experience," it said. "We will refund Ms. Coulter's $30 for the preferred seat on the exit row that she purchased."

Posting a picture of an innocent fellow passenger to her social media account with a bazillion followers?  Ugly, ugly, ugly.  Her public persona is her true self; Ann Coulter is the poster girl for resting bitch face. 

And this?  "We will refund Ms. Coulter's $30 for the preferred seat on the exit row that she purchased."   Nice little passive-aggressive put down.  

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 9

Of course, she has to have the last word. She whined that:

$30! It cost me $10,000 of my time to pre-select the seat I wanted, investigate type of plane & go back periodically to review seat options

My, my, doesn't she place an inordinately high value on her time? When I fly, it takes me about 20 minutes to select the flight and seat. And, yes, I consult the airlines and seatguru. She is ridiculous.

• Upvote 10

10,000 dollars? Did she get her PhD in over inflated narcissistic ego studies along with TT?

• Upvote 9

12 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

10,000 dollars? Did she get her PhD in over inflated narcissistic ego studies along with TT?

I think so. When I told my mom about it, she asked, "did it take her six months of non-stop searching to find that seat?" I think it's appalling that she posted a picture of the woman who "took" her seat. According to Delta's press release, she had actually changed her seat online from a window to an aisle, then had her meltdown when they put her in a window seat in the same aisle.

• Upvote 8

Maybe she could get Trump to give her a job in the White House.  That way, she'd have access to the Candy Plane.

• Upvote 5

Bitch is going to get her bony ass sued. Yeah, if she put my picture out there to be attacked by her pack of rabid jackals, I would sue her until she has to take the bus for the rest of her miserable lie.

Seriously, this woman has some huge anger issues. I don't know what happened to her but she hasn't gotten over it. She doesn't even bother to try to show a human side. Lots of anger.

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, GrumpyGran said:

Seriously, this woman has some huge anger issues. I don't know what happened to her but she hasn't gotten over it.

I agree. She foolishly shows the depths of her own misery to the world every time she goes off like this. She'd be a much happier person if got some help for her issues, but being happy would wreck her career in the white grievance industry. 

• Upvote 10

She has a meltdown and Twitter tirade over being moved from a window to an aisle seat and she thinks liberals are snowflakes?

• Upvote 11

I freaking love him.  The snowflake at the end is the perfect touch.

Edited by bashfulpixie
  • Upvote 15

10 hours ago, bashfulpixie said:

I freaking love him.  The snowflake at the end is the perfect touch.

You wouldn't want to go to lunch with her, would you, especially if you're picking up the tab? She has to open the menu, investigate each of the options, interrogate the waiter....

• Upvote 5

13 hours ago, Childless said:

She has a meltdown and Twitter tirade over being moved from a window to an aisle seat and she thinks liberals are snowflakes?

The kicker is: she was moved from an aisle seat to a window seat. She neglected to mention that less than a day before the flight, she had gone online and changed her seat from the window to the aisle. After she pitched her hissy fit, Delta published that info in their press release. So, all her "research" had led her to reserve a window seat. Um, stupid much, Ann? The only difference between her originally reserved seat and the one she was "forced" to move to, was that they were on different sides of the plane -- they were both in the same row.

• Upvote 7

9 hours ago, GrumpyGran said:

You wouldn't want to go to lunch with her, would you, especially if you're picking up the tab? She has to open the menu, investigate each of the options, interrogate the waiter....

Could you imagine the fun of being a teacher and having her child (if she had any) as your student?

• Upvote 2