IGNORED

Alex Jones wants privacy for his children

GreyhoundFan

Aw, poor Alex Jones. He can be a total jackass, nasty SOB to others, but he wants privacy for his custody hearing. Hypocritical much? "Sandy Hook truther Alex Jones asks for privacy in custody battle ‘for the sake of my children’"

Who is Alex Emerick Jones, really?

Is the InfoWars founder an intemperate Barack Obama-hating, demon-impersonating conspiracy theorist who believes the government has weaponized the weather and Lady Gaga’s Super Bowl halftime show was a satanic ritual?

Or is he a nurturing, doting father, perfectly suited to attend to the emotional needs of his three impressionable children?

Those questions are at the heart of the sometimes-bizarre battle going on in a Texas courtroom as Jones and his ex-wife spar over custody of their children.

For the first time since the hearing started, Jones has weighed in publicly. It’s unclear why he chose to speak out Friday — or if it’s in any way related to the lambasting he’s received by critics and late-night comedians. There’s an inherent hypocrisy, they say, for a man who yells, growls, cries and spits conspiracy theories for several hours every day to claim his ex-wife is the unstable parent.

In his statement on Friday, Jones called the court hearing a “private matter” and urged the media to be “respectful and responsible and to show due deference to the process of the law.”

Implicit in Jones’s appeal is that he believes the sometimes outlandish conspiracy theories he espouses. So do his loyal listeners, who he says are skeptical of what they hear from politicians and the mainstream media.

That has made Jones, as The Washington Post’s Manuel Roig-Franzia reported, “America’s foremost purveyor of outlandish conspiracy theories.”

Rolling Stone once compiled a list of the seven most outrageous. Among them: Bill Gates’s foundation to help minority students go to college is a secret eugenics program; the government is complicit in terrorist attacks as a means of bringing about martial law and that millions of undocumented immigrants voted illegally in the 2016 presidential election.

Jones has also said the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary was a hoax to get Americans to support tougher gun-control laws.

However, Jones has apologized for promoting one recent conspiracy theory: Jones said a Washington pizza restaurant was the site of a sex-abuse ring operated by Hillary Clinton and her campaign adviser John Podesta that was dubbed “Pizzagate.”

Apparently believing the rumors, Edgar Maddison Welch drove from North Carolina and walked into Comet Ping Pong in Northwest Washington with a rifle and a handgun to investigate the claims. He reportedly fired the rifle several times inside the restaurant. Last month, Welch pleaded guilty to federal and local charges. He will be sentenced June 22.

The veracity of that persona is essential to Jones’s empire. It helped him make millions and led to a loyal following — and the ear of President Trump.

According to a Forbes piece in 2013, Jones’s syndicated radio show, YouTube channel and documentaries netted revenue of about $1.5 million per year in 2010 “enough to support a staff of 15 and enable him to buy an $800,000 house and 7,600 square foot studio.”

While he was running for office, Donald Trump went on Jones’s show in December 2015 in an attempt to separate himself from a crowded Republican primary field. And Trump has repeated some of the conspiracy theories put out on InfoWars, including that the mass media is covering up terrorist attacks.

But in Texas, at a pretrial hearing this month, Jones’s attorney said Jones is “playing a character. He is a performance artist.” Another attorney described Jones’s work as “humor” and “sarcasm,” reported Uistin American-Statesman reporter Jonathan Tilove, who tweeted from the trial.

As The Post’s Callum Borcher reported: “These arguments — meant to help the Austin-based Jones win custody of his three children — amount to admissions that he does not really believe all the wacky stuff he says.”

Jones himself has not admitted to having a radio persona, but he told the court he’s not nearly as volatile as YouTube snippets posted by critics would suggest.

Jones testified for three days in the hearing. In the hearing, according to the Statesman, Jones said he considers himself to be “kind and gentle” 95 percent of the time on InfoWars and 99.5 percent at home, although the more emotional moments are picked up more frequently by the media.

But even in the courtroom, he has not exactly played it cool. In an emotional outburst Thursday afternoon, for example, the broadcaster told his ex-wife’s attorney that he has “no decency, zero.”

“You sit here and twist things; I’ve never seen anything like it in all of literature or the movies,” Jones told the attorney. “You have won the award, sir. No decency, zero.”

Seriously? "kind and gentle"? The man sounds like a rabid weasel 99.5 percent of the time.

7 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

“You sit here and twist things; I’ve never seen anything like it in all of literature or the movies,” Jones told the attorney. “You have won the award, sir. No decency, zero.”

Awww, he thought court would be like in the movies, and now his butt hurts because it turns out real life is not as he was led to believe by the silver screen.

13 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Aw, poor Alex Jones. He can be a total jackass, nasty SOB to others, but he wants privacy for his custody hearing. Hypocritical much? "Sandy Hook truther Alex Jones asks for privacy in custody battle ‘for the sake of my children’"

Seriously? "kind and gentle"? The man sounds like a rabid weasel 99.5 percent of the time.

Yea sure keep I agree keeping his kids out of it for their sake. But please drag his name through the mud or shit pile.

Kind and gentle 95 percent of the time?  What happens during that 5%?  All the opposing lawyer has to do is play excerpts from his radio show. 

He has no right to privacy.   He broadcasts it and put in in print (internet print). It is all public record after that.

11 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

Yea sure keep I agree keeping his kids out of it for their sake. But please drag his name through the mud or shit pile.

Kind and gentle 95 percent of the time?  What happens during that 5%?  All the opposing lawyer has to do is play excerpts from his radio show. 

He has no right to privacy.   He broadcasts it and put in in print (internet print). It is all public record after that.

Yes I agree that his children do deserve privacy. They had no choice of parents. He, however, should be slathered with mud. He is truly scum. The last time I heard an excerpt from his "show", I thought he needed a rabies vaccine.

BTW, welcome back, @onekidanddone! I hope you had a nice break.

4 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Yes I agree that his children do deserve privacy. They had no choice of parents. He, however, should be slathered with mud. He is truly scum. The last time I heard an excerpt from his "show", I thought he needed a rabies vaccine.

BTW, welcome back, @onekidanddone! I hope you had a nice break.

Thanks.  It was nice being out of out of range of the internet, at least after the the initial withdrawal wore off. It gave my brain a chance to detox. Then I came back to the real world and check WoPo on-line. Ugh

I personally hope he's getting letters and threats about this just like what he did to the poor sandy hook parents. I remember not believing it when I first heard about him cause I guess I thought better of people as a whole. Now I know it's not the case and he's beyond trash.

His Sandy Hook outbursts alone show he has no idea of how a real parent feels. For his behaviour then, I'd like to sentence him to 100+ years for the distress  and pain he caused those poor people.

So, should we treat him and his kids with the same respect he showed to the parents and kids of Sandy Hook?  I think we should.

I hope they beat him: "Chobani sues Alex Jones, saying he falsely linked company to child rape, tuberculosis"

Chobani, the maker of Greek yogurt, is suing right-wing provocateur Alex Jones, claiming he published articles and videos that falsely linked the company to child rape and a tuberculosis outbreak near its plant in Twin Falls, Idaho.

The lawsuit, filed Monday in Idaho state court, says Jones’s Infowars website defamed Chobani and owner Hamdi Ulukaya in reports alleging the company’s practice of hiring refugees had brought crime and disease to the town of 45,000.

“Idaho Yogurt Maker Caught Importing Migrant Rapists,” read an April 11 tweet from Infowars highlighted in the complaint. The tweet linked to a video containing what Chobani said were false statements about the company. The complaint also cited an August 2016 article that suggested Chobani was responsible for a “500% increase in tuberculosis in Twin Falls.”

Chobani said Jones had ignored requests to remove the reports, which as of early Tuesday were still accessible on the “Alex Jones Channel” on YouTube as well as the main Infowars site. As a result, the lawsuit said, some customers had called for a boycott of the company’s products.

“The Defendants’ defamatory statements have caused and continue to cause harm to Idaho residents, including Chobani employees, their families, and other members of the Twin Falls community associated with Chobani,” read the complaint.

In an audio statement posted on his YouTube channel Monday night, Jones said “sources” in the White House and Congress told him that billionaire George Soros, a frequent target of Jones’s attacks, was behind the lawsuit. Soros is not named in court documents, and there is nothing suggesting he is involved in any way.

Jones vowed to fight the case, saying it was without merit.

“I’m not backing down, I’m never giving up, I love this,” he said in the recording. “They have jumped the trillion-pound great white shark on this baby.”

Jones has enjoyed a surge in popularity in the past year, buoyed in part by his chummy relationship with President Trump, who appears to have based some of his own conspiratorial views on Infowars stories.

Chobani’s plant in Twin Falls is the largest yogurt-producing facility in the world. Ulukaya, the owner, is a Turkish immigrant known for his refugee advocacy. More than 300 refugees work at the Twin Falls plant and another facility in New York, according to the Idaho Statesman.

The company came into Jones’s crosshairs last summer, after a story about refugees in Twin Falls sexually assaulting a 5-year-old girl drew national attention. Several right-wing websites, including Infowars, seized on the news, inaccurately reporting that the girl was raped at knifepoint by a gang of Syrian men. Infowars, Breitbart News and other outlets sought to connect the incident to the refugees employed at the Chobani plant in town.

Authorities in Twin Falls said the girl was sexually assaulted, not raped, and that there was no knife involved in the attack. They also said the suspects, who have since pleaded guilty, were minors from Iraq and Sudan, as The Washington Post has reported.

As recently as mid-April, Infowars was still connecting Chobani’s refugee hiring practices to the crimes, according to the company’s lawsuit.

“Jones is no stranger to spurious statements. He has claimed that the U.S. government orchestrated the 9/11 attacks and the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut,” read the complaint. “Mr. Jones has now taken aim at Chobani and the Twin Falls community.”

Chobani’s lawsuit comes as Jones is fighting a closely watched custody battle in Texas. The case has focused in part on whether Jones’s fire-breathing radio persona reflects how he behaves outside the studio or amounts to a sort of performance art, as The Washington Post has reported. His lawyers in that case have argued he is “playing a character.”

Maybe he should stop playing a character and try playing a human being. Oh wait, that won't happen.

Archived