IGNORED

Bontragers and Bowers Engaged

Bazinga

From the Maxwell blog: "We had chosen the path of not posting about a relationship until after the wedding for the privacy of our children. However, the Bontragers’ posted about the engagement, so it is now public, and we re-evaluated."

1. "Bontragers" does not need an apostrophe. Apostrophes are for possessives; in this case "Bontragers" is a plural noun.

2. Seems more than a little passive-aggressive.

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, acheronbeach said:

Good job whoever predicted the "waiting for long-skirt picture with no touching". 

Count me amongst those who are shocked that a Maxwell managed to attract one of the Bontrager women.  Those young women are well-put-together, they come across as talented, hard working, and practical. 

The Maxwells are really awkward and come across as inflexible and impractical.  It seems like an odd pairing, unless John really is the "rebel" of the family and is able to work hard and hold down a conversation.  

I just had a thought. Do ya think she is well aware of the Maxwell's way of life and has plans to "try" and change things a bit??  She comes from a very busy and vibrant background. Right now it appears that Christianity is the main thing they have in common. All else are different strands of beliefs and daily living.

6 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

I just had a thought. Do ya think she is well aware of the Maxwell's way of life and has plans to "try" and change things a bit??  She comes from a very busy and vibrant background. Right now it appears that Christianity is the main thing they have in common. All else are different strands of beliefs and daily living.

I have the feeling that they might be really really in love with each other and want to be together, despite their different backgrounds. Maybe I'm too romantic..

Oh my Rufus! This is hilarious. Whoever predicted we'd be treated to a no-touching, ankle-length skirt, make-up free photo shoot was spot on. LOVE IT! :pb_lol: Bonus points for the not-so-subtle shade-throwing at the Bontragers revealing the engagement.

They look so awkward standing together wanting to touch but not. I think that says something about the photographer as much as the courtship thing. If I hadn't seen the photos on the Bontragers blog I would have a completely different feel and opinion about their relationship. 

https://www.fromallison.com

So Allison Bontrager posted about the double weddings. Wow is she steeped in the fundie koolaid. Some "choice" bits:

When talking about Carson, "For awhile there was a bit of a power struggle when we were in our teens, because he was always very mature for his age and a super strong leader. And I, although not as mature, was no less strong and stubborn. But after a rough year or two, things got better and I learned to value his strength and leadership instead of seeing it as a threat." Meaning...I learned to submit.

And when talking about Josh, "And after he and Cassidy started their relationship in September, I was amazed to watch him lead her and pursue her heart. It was truly beautiful! The first few times he took her out on dates I was still having a bit of a “Is this really happening?” shock, but eventually reality set in. I treasure all the talks we had during this time. He was always asking good questions, wanting to learn more about how to be the sensitive, caring servant leader that his girl needed."

Nurturing your brother's manhood indeed. :smiley-signs131:

They posted Mitchell and Bryn's love story. Pretty much a standard fundie courtship. Although I don't think they called it courtship.

12 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

They posted Mitchell and Bryn's love story. Pretty much a standard fundie courtship. Although I don't think they called it courtship.

Most of it is pretty standard, but I like how they pointed out that there were ups and downs in their relationship.

And I was surprised to read that Bryn went to Bibel College in heathen California!

• 2 weeks later...

So Allison posted on her personal blog that she isn’t living with her parents right now? Does anyone know where she’s living? I think michell and bryn are managing the hotel rn no I think she can’t be living in there but idk.

16 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

So Allison posted on her personal blog that she isn’t living with her parents right now? Does anyone know where she’s living? I think michell and bryn are managing the hotel rn no I think she can’t be living in there but idk.

From what I gathered from her blog and her parents' blog, she was living at the Dutch Country Inn full-time until after the wedding of Mitchell and Bryn.  Then once they got married, they would start living in the apartment part-time, and then full-time after his busy season with custom manure ended. So she is probably living there part-time right now, when the newlyweds aren't there.  But up until they got married, she had been living in the apartment there by herself for awhile. 

Some of those pictures looked like the girls were marrying each other. I can't imagine any 2 of my girls sharing a wedding, lol. 

As someone totally unconnected to the bride and groom, I enjoyed looking at the pictures. If that's what they wanted, it made sense to have a double wedding. I would never have been able to have a double wedding with my sister. We are too different, but each to their own. Wonder why they didn't spring for a pair of black jean for the fourth smallest boy in the wedding party? 

I once read a story of a set of identical triplets who all got married together. Not to brothers though. I thought it was really sweet. It said they mostly did because they had a lot of out of town relatives and it was just easier to have it together so the relatives only had to come once. 

Joining this post because I am only now going down the Bontrager rabbit hole because of Chelsys engagement to a Maxwell.

Any key things for me to see or know? I already saw the weird "nurture your brothers manhood" blog post...

11 minutes ago, freethemall said:

Joining this post because I am only now going down the Bontrager rabbit hole because of Chelsys engagement to a Maxwell.

Any key things for me to see or know? I already saw the weird "nurture your brothers manhood" blog post...

They’re ex mennonites

They just married 3 of their boys in the spam of 2 days in September... 2 of them had a double wedding and married 2 sisters

They do really well in bible bee competitions

their daughter Allison has a job and until recently Chelsy did too

2 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

their daughter Allison has a job and until recently Chelsy did too

Both their jobs were for family businesses, though.

Sorry I'm late to the Bontrager discussion especially the double weddings, did anyone earlier in the threads notice this photo of the Maxwell's at the wedding? There's also one of John and Chelsy, John is holding a mic.

Wedding-Photo-174-_A1D6048.jpg

7 minutes ago, freethemall said:

Sorry I'm late to the Bontrager discussion especially the double weddings, did anyone earlier in the threads notice this photo of the Maxwell's at the wedding? There's also one of John and Chelsy, John is holding a mic.

Wedding-Photo-174-_A1D6048.jpg

Yes we noticed very quickly in the live stream that the Maxwells were there. I also noticed that John was not sitting with the Maxwells before the wedding got started. Now we know he was probably off somewhere chatting with Chelsy. And in the wedding the next day, I noticed John served as usher for Mitchell. 

Odd that one of the girls had her dress bustled for the ceremony. What's the point of having a dress with a train if you aren't going to show it off? Typically, you'd bustle the dress for the reception. Given the difficulties of having to walk down a too-narrow aisle (which was on grass) with another bride on the opposite side, I guess I can't really blame her.

1 hour ago, SusanAtTheLastBattle said:

Both their jobs were for family businesses, though.

They are but Allison has lived at the Inn while working there. Which most likely shocks Steve to no end. 

We also know that John and Chelsy were newly engaged at the double wedding so they were probably all starry eyed and lovey dovey the whole weekend. 

2 hours ago, maple802 said:

Odd that one of the girls had her dress bustled for the ceremony. What's the point of having a dress with a train if you aren't going to show it off? Typically, you'd bustle the dress for the reception. Given the difficulties of having to walk down a too-narrow aisle (which was on grass) with another bride on the opposite side, I guess I can't really blame her.

I know, right? Why have a train at all if you don't have it down to walk down the aisle?

It probably didn't even occur to them that a picture of two brides could look like they were getting married to each other, but some of these photos totally do if you don't know them. This one for example:

https://gallery.windrose.photography/carolinacarsoncassidyjoshua/?pid=1474155242&id=13&h=MzU3MzcyOTk0NA

I cracked up at the photo of one of the couples- the photo is from mid-waist up- the groom has his iPhone in his back pocket. Who was going to call him? Everyone he knew at his wedding. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived