IGNORED

Bontragers and Bowers Engaged

Bazinga

I'm was looking through their blog and found a crunchy perm pic. The other two girls listed are named Anna and Brittany. 

IMG_4898.PNG

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe they'll announce another engagement within the next days and marry off Allison too? They could have another double wedding.

I'm also kind of sad that John is going to get married. I always thought I would save him from MaxHell and introduce him to the worldly way of sweet fellowship. Damn.

1 hour ago, ophelia said:

Maybe they'll announce another engagement within the next days and marry off Allison too? They could have another double wedding.

I'm also kind of sad that John is going to get married. I always thought I would save him from MaxHell and introduce him to the worldly way of sweet fellowship. Damn.

I am sad that John bought a house--I'd love for him to bolt the Maxwell compound and take his irrigration business to join the growing Bontrager agrarian empire in Iowa.  Maybe he should just flip the house!

Given how dull the Maxwells seem I wouldn't be surprised if marrying a woman who can smile without feeling guilty is rebellion. I would have loved for them to not stay so close to the other Maxwells but what were the odds of that?

25 minutes ago, elliha said:

Given how dull the Maxwells seem I wouldn't be surprised if marrying a woman who can smile without feeling guilty is rebellion.

Brilliant observation! Certainly puts the Maxwells in context. What a sad and depressing lot. 

Well, Allison and Jesse Maxwell are both 23, so that's a good age match. (John and Chelsy are also both the same age, 26.) So I think this is a sign and Jesse needs to get a leading from the Lord RIGHT NOW to court Allison and, you know, the Lord can rush things along so the Bontragers can have another double wedding. Ha.

Also, I don't like the style of Chelsy's ring myself, but I think it's kind of nice to not always do the same type of engagement ring.

9 minutes ago, Corntree said:

Well, Allison and Jesse Maxwell are both 23, so that's a good age match. (John and Chelsy are also both the same age, 26.) So I think this is a sign and Jesse needs to get a leading from the Lord RIGHT NOW to court Allison and, you know, the Lord can rush things along so the Bontragers can have another double wedding. Ha.

Also, I don't like the style of Chelsy's ring myself, but I think it's kind of nice to not always do the same type of engagement ring.

Jesse is definitely not ready by Steve standards. He needs to by a home of his own debt free and I doubt he has enough money saved for that. And Allison seems more obnoxious than Chelsy. So I don't know about Jesse (who seems rather introverted) would be a good match for Allison. 

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Jesse is definitely not ready by Steve standards. He needs to by a home of his own debt free and I doubt he has enough money saved for that.

Heh, you're right. I didn't think about that. Though my idea of Jesse and Allison getting married was just fanciful thinking anyway.

I like that Chelsy has apparently quit her job "to plan her wedding."  This must be code for "to be a good little submissive wife," right?  These people must know that virtually nobody else in this country quits their job just to plan a wedding.

As for Jesse and Allison, she strikes me as a rather glamorous sort of fundie.  And Jesse... does not.

You know, I could totally see how it would be practical for a person (who had the luxury to do so) to take time off of work to plan a wedding of this size. Hundreds of people from huge families, ranging in age from elderly to newborn, some of which may need help with transportation, accommodations, suit and car rentals, and of course, FOOD. That's not including the wedding itself, which will have all of the trappings of a large pinterest-inspired fundy wedding, and which will require rentals, craft projects, shopping, and set-up time. And then there's the moving arrangements. She will be leaving home to move to another state, and will need to manage setting up housekeeping from a distance. She's got to do all of this in 2 and a half months. 

Most fundies have a lot of these practical travel/sleeping/practical details down like a well-oiled machine, and the Bontragers have already hosted 3 weddings this year. Not to take away from the specialness of the day for Chelsy and John, but this is likely to be a very slightly modified version of whatever happened for her siblings' weddings a few months ago. But, that doesn't mean that it's not going to be a lot of work.

All of that said, I'm more excited about this wedding than any fundy union in recent memory. It's a bit weird to think of the Maxwell and Bontrager streams crossing, so that's fun, plus Chelsy really seems like an interesting addition to the Maxwankers. 

1 hour ago, Corntree said:

Heh, you're right. I didn't think about that. Though my idea of Jesse and Allison getting married was just fanciful thinking anyway.

The same thought came to my mind since they are the same age like Chelsy and John. Actually Chelsey and john are only a couple weeks apart in age. I believe Jesse is a few months younger than Allison. Another double Bontrager wedding would be fun but I doubt that will ever happen again. I imagine Jesse with a mousy quiet Maxwell type. 

This engagement has me so excited I've returned to FJ after a 2 year break.

Firstly, I've been expecting a Bontrager/Maxwell engagement for a while. Anna Maxwell redesigned Chelsy's website, the Maxwells were scheduled to appear at a Bontrager event that was cancelled for the wedding, and, most tellingly, the Maxwell women have occasionally commented on Bontrager blogs, which is practically unheard of.

But Chelsy is a positively scandalous Maxwell bride. She wears bright makeup! She and John were TOUCHING in their engagement shots, in which her bright red dress reveals her knees! She plans to keep blogging after marriage! She's appeared onstage for years and is from a prominent enough family that she won't simply disappear into Maxhell upon marriage! She's very worldly by Maxwell standards - which fits, I guess, cause John is the rebel son by Maxwell standards.

i remember reading a post in which she said that she didn't think it was sinful to wear pants and that she wore skirts out of respect while living in her family home. The implication was that she wouldn't after marriage. Sadly, I don't see John being brave enough to defy Steve and allow pants, but then, he is marrying a knee flashing face painting harlot, so we will see!

Chelsy has been pictured on the Bontrager website wearing jeans while hiking. I'm curious about where they might honeymoon in January--climbing mountains in Colorado is probably out of the question! 

I wish so bad I had predicted a Maxwell/Bontrager marriage. The Maxwells have been one of my pet fundie families for many years. Some people on the Maxwell forum have been speculating for a while that a Maxwell and a Bontrager might court, but my mind glossed over the idea.

5 minutes ago, Corntree said:

I wish so bad I had predicted a Maxwell/Bontrager marriage. The Maxwells have been one of my pet fundie families for many years. Some people on the Maxwell forum have been speculating for a while that a Maxwell and a Bontrager might court, but my mind glossed over the idea.

I suspected it since John had been gone so much lately and we knew that the families knew one another. Then when John ushered for Mitchell's wedding and the Maxwell girls were seen at the Bontrager's conference, I knew something was going on. They had been together way too much lately for no one to be courting. 

I think my mind wanted to ignore all the posts people made about the connections between the Maxwells and the Bontragers b/c I didn't want to have to readjust my understanding of the isolated nature of the Maxwells. I'll pay more attention to this stuff from now on. :)

Wondering where the wedding reception will be-- can't see a Bontrager barn reception in December, but I could be wrong. In honor of Steve there should be goldfish crackers & bean burritos.

I predict that Chelsy will plant a big garden. Do any of the Maxwells garden, or does that not fit into their schedule?

14 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Wondering where the wedding reception will be-- can't see a Bontrager barn reception in December, but I could be wrong. In honor of Steve there should be goldfish crackers & bean burritos.

I predict that Chelsy will plant a big garden. Do any of the Maxwells garden, or does that not fit into their schedule?

I was wondering about that too. The double wedding was in a big tent on the farm and the reception that followed was thereas well. The single wedding was in their family church and the reception was in a sort of "town square" near the church. They had nice weather since it was Labor Day weekend. I am guessing they will have to rent something indoors for the reception. I have no idea what kind of places are in Washington, Iowa. 

Chelsy has posted the first details of their "story": https://www.theknot.com/us/john-maxwell-and-chelsy-bontrager-dec-2017-d2aa04e9-d394-4459-9014-e1ae96e5e47a#our-story  

They have been engaged since AUGUST 28. I give Chelsy props for keeping the engagement secret for a while so as to not distract from her brothers' weddings  [unlike some Duggar men we know!]

Our Story

Timeline

We Met...April 3rd, 2016

Began Relationship...November 9th, 2016

Got Engaged...August 28th, 2017

Get Married...December 30th, 2017

(full story coming soon!)

15 hours ago, Corntree said:

I think my mind wanted to ignore all the posts people made about the connections between the Maxwells and the Bontragers b/c I didn't want to have to readjust my understanding of the isolated nature of the Maxwells. I'll pay more attention to this stuff from now on. :)

Don't feel bad - I think the Maxwells have only become (slightly) less isolated the last couple of years. I think it's telling that apparently they hadn't heard of the Bible Bee until last year, when (I assume) the Bontragers told them about it. The Bible Bee is such a well-known thing in fundie-land, they can only have avoided hearing about it for so long by being isolated.

On 10/10/2017 at 9:35 AM, HereticHick said:

I am sad that John bought a house--I'd love for him to bolt the Maxwell compound and take his irrigration business to join the growing Bontrager agrarian empire in Iowa.  Maybe he should just flip the house!

I’m betting he will. The way the Maxfam is sullenly ignoring the happy news inclines me to think John continues to march to his own drummer AND the whole unilateral announcing from her family seems to  indicate that drummer is marching  in a direction that doesn’t necessarily lead to a life spent entirely in Leavenworth!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived