IGNORED

Focus on the Family Brings Back BRIO! Just in time to save your purity....

nelliebelle1197

3 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Lol, I had a subscription to the Economist in high school (I was on the debate team.) If it had come with a fashion spread instead of a boring business section, it would have been perfect.

We would have been friends in HS then. My mom recently found a box of all of my copies of Foreign Policy Review and Utne Reader that I religiously subscribed to and devoured. The only "teen" magazine I ever had at my house was the Mormon one The New Era. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I'm hoping some children visit my house soon and I can supervise them playing with our large tub of Brio/Thomas.  (They pretty much all interchange, except that Toby the tram can't go around the tighter Brio curves.)

We have a large binder full of track layouts we built and wanted to record to be able to build them again, using a notation of our own design.  I don't actually remember recreating very many of them, but it seemed very important to preserve our work at the time!  Ah, childhood.

I used to get Brio. I got a trial subscription of the Brio magazine for older teens, but my mom thought it was too racy.

Had BRIO for my son and saved it for grandkids. He came home from college and had tracks and trains all over the house. You're never to old to play with trains. Never heard of the magazine.

50 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

@Rachel333 Oh tell what was racy!

They had an article about oral sex, and how unmarried couples shouldn't do it because it still counts as sex.

17 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Lol, I had a subscription to the Economist in high school (I was on the debate team.) If it had come with a fashion spread instead of a boring business section, it would have been perfect.

We receive a subscription to Kiplinger's from a well meaning relative. Admittedly, it's for investors who haven't caught up to the internet age. They had an "office looks" feature on the back page for a while that was pathetic. The men all wore khakis and Oxford shirts and the one woman I saw was wearing what looked like a mismatched 80s power suit and clunky shoes. I think it only lasted a couple of issues. It was boring, boring, boring. Probably why finance and fashion don't mix.

Oh man, I use to get Brio! I still have one I kept from January 2004 because the editor signed it at this Christian Girl Power concert I went too. 

This particular issue was about the "Brio Girl of the Year". I remember the girl they chose was the definition of the Perfect Christian Girl™. She was gorgeous, skinny, got straight A's, was an all-state athlete, was popular, volunteered for fun, had really cute clothes, and loved Jesus A LOT. So, basically the exact opposite of what I was (other than loving Jesus). I decided that I wanted to be just like her so I could be a good Christian too. I felt like I was letting God down if I wasn't all of those things. So for a long time, my mindset was if I don't get straight A's, lose weight, have a lot of friends, join lots of clubs, or constantly try to get people to accept Jesus into their hearts then I'm not good enough for God. 

Of course, it wasn't just this magazine that gave me this frame of mind. That message can be found all over in Christian culture. It was just one of many things that solidified it. 

Wow, thinking about this magazine brought back a lot of shit. Thanks, Freejinger. 

13 minutes ago, spookytwoshoes said:

This particular issue was about the "Brio Girl of the Year". I remember the girl they chose was the definition of the Perfect Christian Girl™.

It would be interesting to find out what Miss Perfect Christian Girl is doing a dozen years later.  Does she have ten children; does she shop at Magnolia Pearl; is she a member at Free Jinger...

3 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

It would be interesting to find out what Miss Perfect Christian Girl is doing a dozen years later.  Does she have ten children; does she shop at Magnolia Pearl; is she a member at Free Jinger...

If my googling serves me right, this is her, now leading a youth group at a church in Oregon: www.winacity.org/sermons/preacher/angela-bragato/

Here are the other past winners: www.thefullwiki.org/Brio_Magazine

Speaking of mainstream teen magazines, I miss YM (and the short-lived magazine JUMP).

59 minutes ago, PopRox said:

Speaking of mainstream teen magazines, I miss YM (and the short-lived magazine JUMP).

Anyone else remember Sassy? It was awesome. Not all about fashion and how to get boys to pay attention to you. My mother discovered it somehow and got me a subscription. 

I profoundly miss Sassy. Jane Pratt is kind of full of it, but the other staff writers and editors were amazing.

On 18/04/2017 at 7:05 PM, MamaJunebug said:

Oh my word, I thought you meant the cool wooden train sets!! *relief*

Same here!

4 hours ago, louisa05 said:

Anyone else remember Sassy? It was awesome. Not all about fashion and how to get boys to pay attention to you. My mother discovered it somehow and got me a subscription. 

I remember buying an edition of Sassy when I was on holiday in America, age about 13. It was the greatest thing I had ever come across in my life! haha. But seriously, it had all the teen stuff like fashion and makeup, but also I distinctly remember a spread about teen girls who were doing their own thing in their communities and inspiring their peers. There was a girl who designed and made all her own clothes, including a bubble wrap miniskirt with a sequin glued on each bubble.  There was a Hispanic girl who wrote songs and played guitar. And another article with a black female basketball player talking about mentoring, and how important it was for girls to have aspirations, and role models to help them break into sports. There was just nothing like that in the UK, nothing so blatant about encouraging young women to find themselves and live out the lives they wanted.

As you can tell I may have read through it more than once....

On 21/04/2017 at 6:09 PM, spookytwoshoes said:

Oh man, I use to get Brio! I still have one I kept from January 2004 because the editor signed it at this Christian Girl Power concert I went too. 

This particular issue was about the "Brio Girl of the Year". I remember the girl they chose was the definition of the Perfect Christian Girl™. She was gorgeous, skinny, got straight A's, was an all-state athlete, was popular, volunteered for fun, had really cute clothes, and loved Jesus A LOT. So, basically the exact opposite of what I was (other than loving Jesus). I decided that I wanted to be just like her so I could be a good Christian too. I felt like I was letting God down if I wasn't all of those things. So for a long time, my mindset was if I don't get straight A's, lose weight, have a lot of friends, join lots of clubs, or constantly try to get people to accept Jesus into their hearts then I'm not good enough for God. 

Of course, it wasn't just this magazine that gave me this frame of mind. That message can be found all over in Christian culture. It was just one of many things that solidified it. 

Wow, thinking about this magazine brought back a lot of shit. Thanks, Freejinger. 

THIS BUGS ME TOO!  I was quite excited to see a fat girl leading the singing on stage at one of these mega churches the other day, because a) I am a fat girl who sings, and B) normally they seem to have a definite aesthetic of skinny, pretty, shiny hair, loadsa makeup, basically just like a pop star, and it's so depressing. Not that I want to sing at a mega church, but more that I thought the church was supposed to be different and value character and godliness above looking like a celebrity.

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 0:24 PM, AuLait said:

Oh dear. We got a postcard from Brio yesterday saying my Mom had signed up my oldest daughter to get this mag. I hadn't looked into it yet...

That means that your address is now on the FoF mailing list for all things, including politics. :-(

On 4/21/2017 at 1:25 PM, CTRLZero said:

OMG, I cannot believe you said MAGNOLIA PEARL. I actually looked her up yesterday out of the blue. She still looks dirty no matter how many $300 rags she sells.

On 4/21/2017 at 5:01 PM, NachosFlandersStyle said:

If my googling serves me right, this is her, now leading a youth group at a church in Oregon: www.winacity.org/sermons/preacher/angela-bragato/

Here are the other past winners: www.thefullwiki.org/Brio_Magazine

Autumn Alcott, '98, is a professor of theology.

She does not mention being a Brio Girl in her bio.

https://www.merrimack.edu/live/profiles/351-autumn-alcott-ridenour

I'd be tempted to subscribe for old times sake, if it wasn't forking over $ to Dobson and crew.   My sister and I used to fight over the magazine when it came in the mail for such gems as buying your shirts a size too big and wearing nude undies with white pants.    I'll have to settle for swiping some issues from my fundy lite cousins over the holidays.   

Long live Brio!

2 hours ago, mydoggoskeeper said:

My sister and I used to fight over the magazine when it came in the mail for such gems as buying your shirts a size too big and wearing nude undies with white pants.

Is wearing flesh-toned underwear with light-colored pants supposed to be a modesty thing? I thought it was just a basic fashion thing... 

Omg I remember getting Brio!  I remember exactly what a PP said about the music reviews too. I seem to remember them lying about lyrics to make secular music sound worse as well. 

From the article:

Where Seventeen had then-model Ivanka Trump on the cover, Brio had yodeling champion Catherine Bowler.

Well, at least Brio got something right. 

I remember teen magazines very, very well. Especially when they featured pictures of my favorite musicians at the time; Duran Duran, as an example.

My older sisters got Seventeen, Teen and other magazines, thank God, because they were the only sex education we got as CatholIc girls in the 70s. I always thought my mom never bothered to read them so she didn't know about the dating/ sex advice in the magazines but hey, maybe she did. Wow, maybe that was her way of making sure we knew our body parts & all about sex, birth control, STDs & other stuff she never discussed with us!    

Oh Brio. I was subscribed for years. Does anyone else remember the big controversy over guys and girls falling asleep together? I.e, while on a youth retreat or watching a movie? Shelly was Strongly Opposed and thought it was opening the door for sin. She did not think guys and girls could really be just friends. (or at least that's the impression I remember)

Also I remember wondering if Shelly was a lesbian for some reason. I don't know why.

Archived