IGNORED

Focus on the Family Brings Back BRIO! Just in time to save your purity....

nelliebelle1197

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2017/04/17/brio_focus_on_the_family_s_magazine_for_teen_girls_is_back_in_print.html

Yes, FoF's silly adventure into teen Jesus lovers is BACK! Don't forget to buy your favorite teen sub this summer! You can keep them save from all the bad words, abortions and other worldly distractions of the modern teen. Oh and buy them a Duck Dynasty prom dress too!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are print teen mags still a thing even? Even the article notes how many closed a few years ago. Then again, I guess this one isn't geared toward your average teen audience. I guess if the readers' families follow Duggar-esque rules, they might not have their own phones or tablets to read on. 

I used to read the more salacious teen mags and novels when I was in high school. But, uninterestingly, they never led me into any "sin." I just found them funny. 

Oh dear. We got a postcard from Brio yesterday saying my Mom had signed up my oldest daughter to get this mag. I hadn't looked into it yet...

9 hours ago, December said:

Are print teen mags still a thing even?

Seventeen and Teen Vogue are still out there, not sure how well they're doing these days, though. I used to love reading Seventeen back in the late 60s and early 70s, I'll be sorry if it disappears from newsstands. I tried to get my daughter interested in it when she was in middle and high school, but she didn't care for it. Too busy being a teen to sit down and read about being a teen, I guess! :pb_lol:

2 hours ago, AuLait said:

Oh dear. We got a postcard from Brio yesterday saying my Mom had signed up my oldest daughter to get this mag. I hadn't looked into it yet...

I hope you'll share your first impressions with us when it arrives! 

1 hour ago, Loveday said:

Seventeen and Teen Vogue are still out there, not sure how well they're doing these days, though.

Teen Vogue is on the cutting edge of political reportage today.

1 hour ago, MamaJunebug said:

Oh my word, I thought you meant the cool wooden train sets!! *relief*

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought of those train sets, my grandparents had those for us grandchildren to play with, and my niece even got to play with them before my grandma died. I think my uncle who has step grandchildren ended up taking those sets.

As for magazines, I remember Seventeen and Teen, as Teen Vogue didn't come out until I was out of my teenage years.

Was Brio the magazine that bragged "No fashion, no makeup, no boys"?

3 hours ago, AuLait said:

Sign her up for TeenVogue as well!

They are KILLING it these days with political & social commentary.

Ugh. I got Brio for the brief year between hitting junior high and taking the deep right at Albuquerque into fundiedom.

As a sheltered homeschooler, it was as close to boys, makeup and pop culture as I was going to get and it beat the heck out of Hope Chest and Nature Friend which my sister poured over after the transition. But mostly I remember that pop culture after 1963 was suspect, no popular band was worthy and they had fawning articles about Kirk Cameron (so Godly! Won't kiss an actress! Saving it for his wife!), and he struck me as smarmy even then.

The makeup articles focused on how to look "sweet" and avoid showy and attention-seeking looks. Perhaps we should send JROD a copy.

Love how Teen Vogue responds to criticism too!  Along the lines of:

"Isn't it a bit weird, a fashion mag doing politics?"

"Are you suggesting teenage girls should stick to fashion and makeup?  Politics effects their lives and the lives of those around them - of course they care about it!"

Ooh, I will see if I can find some old copies of Brio when I go to visit my mom! (She got me a subscription as a teen and has hoarding tendencies, so....)

I have a vague recollection of an article called "I don't need.." and readers wrote in their responses. One girl's answer was 'store-bought bread' because her mom made it for her umpteen kids. Eeeesh.

5 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

*glances towards cupboard* ah, my childhood!

"Bruno Mars - worth a listen?" Lol!

At school we bought teen mags for the surprisingly frank and accurate health and sex section. Plus the huge celebrity foldouts were always a bonus. Brio just looks boring, something you read because you've read the Bible 50 billion times and it's something light.

Whoever gets a copy definitely needs to post a critique! I would be so happy! :D

I loved J-14 and Tiger Beat! :D Not sure Brio would have been for me.

But...the cafeteria lady!

I remember being supper annoyed that if there was something people asked about in the media-reviews that was 100% 'g rated' they'd always say it was "ok, BUUUUUTTT" and then insist that if you liked that, yo'd LOVE this Christian artist doing something similar.
Bastards. .  "we have to condemn the fuck out of the 'bad stuff', give laurels to things that meet our absurd standards...but lets kinda-sorta condemn the OK stuff too, so that we can focus only on our bestest"  I always kinda wondered if it was a deliberate attempt to kill the middle and polarize.  I t think it worked.

6 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

I don't care how ridiculous this might look, but when I have the money and the space (i.e., bigger than a studio apartment), I'm going to buy a deluxe Brio train table like I've always wanted off ebay. I mean, elderly men collect electric train sets and model cars, so a grown woman collecting wooden trains shouldn't be too strange.

4 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I don't care how ridiculous this might look, but when I have the money and the space (i.e., bigger than a studio apartment), I'm going to buy a deluxe Brio train table like I've always wanted off ebay. I mean, elderly men collect electric train sets and model cars, so a grown woman collecting wooden trains shouldn't be too strange.

THe internet has been great at helping figure out what sets are compatible with e/o--because Brio are still one of the best, but there are lots of others and they're not all completely interchangeable.  (and Ikea's are cheaper, since, budget)
THis site was my go to: https://play-trains.com/

(also, I love ^her because she's opposed to gluing down tracks.  Which is where I firmly stand.  Although, there are times, when you've FINALLY gotten the tracks set up and and you have to fix them the 347th time when I will deny I said that.)

Not that I spent 45 minutes at work this week helping a group of 4 year olds at the train table or anything.

25 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I absolutely loved putting together our train table and wooden track set. I spent hours designing the track so that we had multiple loop tracks, a bridge, lighthouse, tunnel, roundabout and rescue center. We did not glue it down because I like adding new pieces. Oh, I think my son loved it too!

I'm currently plotting a way too put the whole thing out on two tables. But I need more accessories! Soooo, no, not strange at all. 

Editing to add that I find it very soothing to put together anything. My husband knew to stay away when I was working on the train set. 

2 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I've got the train if you get the table! 

2 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I loved J-14 and Tiger Beat!

Shaun Cassidy and Leif Garett FTW, circa 1978.  

5 hours ago, Lurky said:

Love how Teen Vogue responds to criticism too!  Along the lines of:

"Isn't it a bit weird, a fashion mag doing politics?"

"Are you suggesting teenage girls should stick to fashion and makeup?  Politics effects their lives and the lives of those around them - of course they care about it!"

Lol, I had a subscription to the Economist in high school (I was on the debate team.) If it had come with a fashion spread instead of a boring business section, it would have been perfect.

Archived