IGNORED

Seewalds 21: Walking Around Waco

choralcrusader8613

Seems like Ben is growing into his fatherhood quite well :), he seems so much more relaxed around the kids these days. 

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I'm Jewish, but have some Catholic family (my Catholic Italian grandma converted to marry my grandpa). This has lead to some funny/despicable events in my family. 1- Catholic cousin (my dad's first cousin) bringing a (non-Kosher) cake to our Passover Seder. 2- Same cousin (an adult) brought me to mass after a sleepover (totally fine) and made me take communion without me realizing what was happening (I was 7, not fine in my opinion). 

Also, my cousin's mom (her parents are divorced, her dad is my uncle) had her converted to Catholicism and baptized when she was about 7 without telling her dad. My uncle had a right go at the priest who did it when he found out, saying how dare he do that without BOTH parents involved (not that my uncle would have allowed it- they had an agreement that the kids were going to be raised Jewish). 

Now same cousin (who is back to identifying as Jewish) is in a relationship with a guy who was raised Catholic, but isn't practicing. His mom, however, is a CCD teacher and very involved in their Catholic church. The mom said that when the boyfriend's sister has a child, she will baptize and CCD the kid(s) if the daughter doesn't do it. I warned my cousin not to leave any future children they may have with her boyfriend's mom unless she wants her kids baptized without her consent (I only jump to that conclusion because if she's willing to do that to her daughter's kids, why not her son's?).

I'm certainly not saying this to bash Catholicism - just sharing some experiences I've had as all of my non-Jewish relatives are Catholic. I also have Spanish/Cuban Catholic relatives through marriage, and I definitely even see a difference between them and my own Italian Catholic relatives (my Italian relatives seem more "spread Catholicism!" than my Spanish/Cuban relatives).

On 4/20/2017 at 5:39 PM, Imaginary_Wonderland said:

I love how this topic is hot right now, how appropriate! lol

My first celeb crush was probably Uncle Jesse in Full House. I was pretty young , too young to be thinking in a sexual way, but still first time I noticed that kind of thing. And he is still damn fine these days! So I had good taste early on.

Another early crush was Westley in The Princess Bride. That 'as you wish' stuff set high standards that reality has not met at all :(

And then Dylan in Beverley Hills 90210. I was probably about 13 then, and could never work out why teenagers who were meant to be 2 or 3 years older than me, looked and acted a decade older. I felt such a baby in my looks and dress whenever I watched that show.

People were mentioning character crushes too -  I have a big thing for Killian Jones/Hook in Once Upon a Time. It's not a look a usually go for either but something catches my attention all the same.

Uh, forgot to mention Chuck Bass! 

Thanks @mstee for posting a Jamie Dornan pic!

Definitely Killian!!! Been watching a lot of OUaT lately, and yum.

William Peterson who played Gil Grissom on the old CSI programme. CSI was never the same when he left.

Sorry, no tech expertise, can't post a photo.

If someone beats me to Idris, I'll take him him instead!!

Just now, Gobsmacked said:

William Peterson who played Gil Grissom on the old CSI programme. CSI was never the same when he left.

Sorry, no tech expertise, can't post a photo.

If someone beats me to Idris, I'll take him him instead!!

I adore William Peterson :) Matt Lauer 

1 hour ago, Four is Enough said:

The mixed marriage bit (VERY funny, BTW) reminded me of when I went to visit a friend's family when I was in nursing school. They were Lutheran. Of course this Catholic girl went up the aisle, GENUFLECTED, and then got into the pew. Oops. Outed myself. I tried very hard to not misbehave any more, but of course was tripped up by the Lord's Prayer. She stayed friends with me, so I guess it wasn't too embarassing for her!

Genuflecting happens in Lutheran churches, too! Especially by older, conservative Lutherans. Or converts :my_smile: 

6 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

This thread: Oh, the Protestants hate the Catholics, and the Catholics hate the Protestants, all the Hindus hate the Muslims, and everybody hates the Jews!

National Brotherhood Week!

On 4/22/2017 at 0:40 PM, Four is Enough said:

For me, k.d.lang, Annie Lennox, Sam Elliott, Tommy Lee Jones,.. all my celebrity crushes seem to revolve around a really good voice. Not that any of them are difficult to look at, but the voice gets me!

You might wonder, so I'll tell you. Mr. Four ain't much to look at, but he has a lovely resonant voice....

Oh yea Sam Elliott and Tommy Lee Jones are very high on the list.  James McMurtry has the speaking voice and the sinning voice. I like the grumpy guy look. Oh and did I mention his music is out of this world? 

@Destiny  is it okay for me to post his photo from his website?  If not, let me know.

jm.jpg

So I'm watching Jessa and Ben's honeymoon episode on Youtube and I have to say... Jessa's honeymoon wardrobe was so on point. She looked great. So far I would wear everything I have seen her in. I still can't get over how much her fashion has changed. I get it, you have babies your body changes (I have 2 so I know) but she dresses like a completely different person now

4 hours ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Vatican II is short for the Second Vatican Council. It was an ecumenical council in the early 60s which changed a lot of how Mass is celebrated, as well as "officially Catholic" answers to doctrinal questions.

Here's a wiki about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Vatican_Council. Warning that it is long as hell.

How I spent the morning -

Asked a question. Got link as an answer. Yay! Learning is fun!

Click on link and start reading. Quickly realize I don't understand half of it. Start clicking on links within the link to get explanations.

Realize I don't understand the explanations. Back out to the original link.

Keep reading. Hear baby crying. Make bottle and feed her. Then change her. 

Shit! It's 11:30?! I wanted to walk the kids! 

Take kids for a walk. Make faces and talk about trees with the baby. Make faces and beg the dog not to freak out around other dogs. Baby laughs. Dog doesn't listen. Mommy curses.

Get back home and make PBJ for lunch. Baby starts crying because pack n play. Try making baby laugh by having her dance to Gangum Style. Baby cries.

Feed baby again. Change her again. Suddenly realize I never finished reading the link from earlier. Open it up only to find I lost my place. Conclude learning is evil. Consider joining cult that does thinking for me. Realize I'm too lazy for that. Cuddles baby and talks to her about the dog instead.

:pb_lol:

21 minutes ago, SuhrEnity said:

So I'm watching Jessa and Ben's honeymoon episode on Youtube and I have to say... Jessa's honeymoon wardrobe was so on point. She looked great. So far I would wear everything I have seen her in. I still can't get over how much her fashion has changed. I get it, you have babies your body changes (I have 2 so I know) but she dresses like a completely different person now

I think that Jessa is concentrating on being Mom right now. On her honeymoon, the only thing that she truly had control of was her wardrobe. Now, she has her own household and two little boys. Probably rocking the Mom look more than some other fundies but if she's comfortable, I'm not going to knock her for it. 

25 minutes ago, SuhrEnity said:

I think she's concentrating more on what the boys are wearing more than what she's wearing. She had back to back babies, so I give her a break on trying look comfortable rather than fashionable. 

@VelociRapture, if you ever really wanted to explore Vatican II (not that you have the time for it), I'd suggest reading The Documents of Vatican II as well as talking to an older, liberal priest about the changes.  I watched a film about 40 years ago about why some of the changes were made.  From what I gathered, the changes in the Liturgy were to better reflect the historical Church and to get the Church out of the Middle Ages and/or Renaissance/Counter Reformation.  I can't recall all the reasons why the altar was turned to face the people, but I do know that the altar had not always faced the back wall.  The Mass had not always been in Latin either or rather Latin had once been pretty much the vernacular in much of Europe.  Vatican II restored the Mass to the language of the people so that the people could more easily participate.  Participation from the congregants was expected.  Women no longer were expected to cover their heads.  

In other changes, nun's habits were modernized and sometimes done away with altogether; sisters could wear lay clothes, at least in some circumstances.  The Calendar of Saints was also modernized and those saints for whom there was little evidence of their historical existence were stricken from the rolls.  One of those saints was St Christopher.  Some people got really upset by that.

I think the other, less visible changes like the official attitude about suicide or mixed marriages being solemnized in church got as much protest as did the changes in the liturgy.

I converted in 1975 and thought very seriously of becoming a sister, but haven't been to Mass since about '92.  I'm probably still counted as a member of the church although I am now an atheist.  It's almost impossible to have yourself removed from the membership rolls now. 

5 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

, if you ever really wanted to explore Vatican II (not that you have the time for it), I'd suggest reading The Documents of Vatican II as well as talking to an older, liberal priest about the changes.  I watched a film about 40 years ago about why some of the changes were made.  From what I gathered, the changes in the Liturgy were to better reflect the historical Church and to get the Church out of the Middle Ages and/or Renaissance/Counter Reformation.  I can't recall all the reasons why the altar was turned to face the people, but I do know that the altar had not always faced the back wall.  The Mass had not always been in Latin either or rather Latin had once been pretty much the vernacular in much of Europe.  Vatican II restored the Mass to the language of the people so that the people could more easily participate.  Participation from the congregants was expected.  Women no longer were expected to cover their heads.  

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll try and watch this if/when I can.

That video had me CRYING at my desk at work, trying to stifle the laughter. I grew up Lutheran with many Catholic friends, and the parts about the dry wafers and endless hymn verses (Martin Luther represent) had the tears rolling.

5 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@VelociRapture, if you ever really wanted to explore Vatican II (not that you have the time for it), I'd suggest reading The Documents of Vatican II as well as talking to an older, liberal priest about the changes.  I watched a film about 40 years ago about why some of the changes were made.  From what I gathered, the changes in the Liturgy were to better reflect the historical Church and to get the Church out of the Middle Ages and/or Renaissance/Counter Reformation.  I can't recall all the reasons why the altar was turned to face the people, but I do know that the altar had not always faced the back wall.  The Mass had not always been in Latin either or rather Latin had once been pretty much the vernacular in much of Europe.  Vatican II restored the Mass to the language of the people so that the people could more easily participate.  Participation from the congregants was expected.  Women no longer were expected to cover their heads.  

In other changes, nun's habits were modernized and sometimes done away with altogether; sisters could wear lay clothes, at least in some circumstances.  The Calendar of Saints was also modernized and those saints for whom there was little evidence of their historical existence were stricken from the rolls.  One of those saints was St Christopher.  Some people got really upset by that.

I think the other, less visible changes like the official attitude about suicide or mixed marriages being solemnized in church got as much protest as did the changes in the liturgy.

I converted in 1975 and thought very seriously of becoming a sister, but haven't been to Mass since about '92.  I'm probably still counted as a member of the church although I am now an atheist.  It's almost impossible to have yourself removed from the membership rolls now. 

Yeah. I looked into how to officially leave the Church a while back. I think it's pretty much conversion to another faith or excommunication at this point. Doesn't leave many options for people like me who are questioning what they believe.

I understood some of what was written. I almost feel like I wasn't born and raised Catholic looking at it though. There are so many terms and aspects to the Catholic faith and the Vatican I never knew about. 

I still have the link open on another tab. Baby is chugging another bottle right now (I swear she's going through another growth spurt!), so whenever she decides to nap again I'll pop back in to try and keep reading.

When DH and I were doing our pre-Cana stuff with the priest, I had to sign paperwork asking the diocese to approve the marriage and attesting that the "mixed cult of marriage" was not to a heathen nor to a member of a known cult. We nearly died trying not to laugh. Ask me about the natural family planning classes sometime. I took notes. 

* Mela is still a practicing Catholic. Just one with a good sense of humor about her people. 

10 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

We haven't had any problems in my family with someone marrying someone who is protestant, you love who you love. Although, my Dad is still a strict believer of not taking communion in a protestant church, that too has gone out. Old habits are hard to break. 

My family (the older generation) have that too only it's the other way around. As in we shouldn't take communion in a Catholic Church. 

Ive done it and funnily enough I didn't burst into flames or anything sinister. It just stuck to the roof of my mouth which kind of made me thankful that we have actual bread in my church and some wine (or perhaps sherry?) to wash it down with :pb_lol:

Atheist parents in law left their son with catholic MIL, he was baptised while they were out.

Nearly 60 years later and my FIL is still unhappy about it.

The bapsited son is now a practicing Jew. :my_biggrin:

On 4/23/2017 at 1:44 PM, TeddyBonkers said:

My great-grandmother sobbed through my parents wedding (I'm told) not because she was happy, but because her grandson left the Catholic Church to marry a heathen Lutheran. 

My dh's grandmother told me when I was 1st introduced that under know circumstances was she losing ANOTHER grandson to "you fucking Catholics".  my then boyfriend was horrified, and her husband was yelled at her to stop being an old nag. I promised her I had no intentions of returning to the Catholic church and if my Ultra conservative catholic family couldn't keep me in I couldn't think of anything that would bring me back, and I was quite happy with my new found  salvation in Jesus Christ. She gave me a hug and said "I like you" looked at her grandson and said "marry her you aren't getting any younger".  She was a fantastic old woman, her last words to my dh she said 2 days before she died "you got any gray hair down there? gray hair down there isn't sexy to pretty young ladies like your wife".  She gave no fucks and said what was on her mind and usually got what she wanted. Her and her husband were married fro 60 years when he died. 

6 hours ago, SuhrEnity said:

She dresses like my mother going out to lunch in 1962.

Henry is a tank! Jessa's getting some flack in the comments from people saying Henry is too young to be in a Bumbo. The Bumbo website says children can use them from the time they are able to hold up their head, so technically she isn't using it incorrectly (except that it's supposed to be used i the floor only, but it seems to be on Duggar thing to put it on couches, tables, etc.) However I've read that those seats really aren't good for spinal development at all. I guess as long as the child isn't in it for long periods of time it's not too bad?

HA!  He really is a chunk, and I love that he has resting baby bitch face.  People are always bitching about this and with other people's kids. you have to tell people not to put this stuff on raised surfaces because people are dumbasses and walk away from the, as long as you are right there with the child it is fine, in the grand scheme of Duggarness this is the LEAST worrisome thing a Duggar will do with an offspring. 

10 minutes ago, snickers34 said:

Oh sweet Henry....you'll grow into that old man face yet. :)

will he? good to know because i get that he is his own man - but man - 

he is winston churchill 

so because he is so big he can sit in a chair like that at 2 months? 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived