IGNORED

Seewalds 21: Walking Around Waco

choralcrusader8613

Going back to review the thread ;) I noticed only one hockey boyfriend. Here's mine, Henrik Lundqvist, all suited up. There's a reason they call him The King. He can mind my net anytime. :D

11195_content_Gotham-Magazine-Henrik-Lundqvist-1.jpg

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@bal maiden, you'd mentioned Heath Ledger several pages ago.  Fathom Events is showing a bio film of Heath I Am Heath Ledger  on May 3rd.  You might want to catch it if it's showing anywhere near you.  

@twinmama,  Rose Byrne was inThe Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks tonight on HBO.  It's supposed to be available On Demand.   It's wonderful.  Rose is really good and Oprah is just awesome as Deborah, Henrietta's daughter.  She'd better be nominated for an Emmy.

@PennySycamoreI just this second finished watching The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. Amazing movie! I knew about the cells and the scientific stuff, but had never heard the story of Henrietta. I loved it!

I'll throw a hockey boyfriend in the mix... Marcus Foligno, known for fixing his hair in the middle of a fight this season. 

F5DC8C5C-E8F7-4C5A-BF69-824C68C15F68-1114-00000127E634BBCB.jpeg.b33421a04c9c11a83f1a43fe38c92cb6.jpeg

I'm also a Britsexual. Has anyone mentioned Damian Lewis? Yowza. My girl crush is Nigella Lawson - she's hot, she's rich, and she would make us something yummy for afterwards.

4 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I'm also a Britsexual. Has anyone mentioned Damian Lewis? Yowza. My girl crush is Nigella Lawson - she's hot, she's rich, and she would make us something yummy for afterwards.

Nigella is gorgeous. If I could snap my fingers and have any figure I want, I'd take hers. 

11 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

My girl crush is Rihanna. She's funny, cool and shady. Mostly I just want to hang out with her.

Champagne Papi (AKA Drake) because he has the cheesiest, cutest smile.

Upvote because I thoroughly agree with most of your picks (especially Rihanna, who is second only to Samira Wiley to me) but I'll have to differ on Drake. This guy annoys me because, oddly, when he was first starting to get big I had several people tell me that I would/must love him. Well, I don't! I actually find him vaguely irritating and not attractive. I do like some of his music though. I have no idea why everyone seemed to be so sure I'd love the guy.

On 22/4/2017 at 8:17 AM, apiscue said:

Back to the topic....

Ben welcomes us with his new favorite book

Why is Ben so anti-catholic? Yes he is anti-everything but there seems to be a very special hate towards that religion specifically. 

10 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@twinmama,  Rose Byrne was inThe Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks tonight on HBO.  It's supposed to be available On Demand.   It's wonderful.  Rose is really good and Oprah is just awesome as Deborah, Henrietta's daughter.  She'd better be nominated for an Emmy.

I'm so excited to watch Henrietta Lacks! I love Oprah and the story is fascinating to me. 

Oh and I need to add the best hair in the world, Priyanka Chopra!!!

Spoiler

priy.thumb.jpg.fdb92a0b2cda683894bb4cc078549203.jpg

And Drake being sexy will never stop being hilarious to me because he is Jimmy from Degrassi and I can never see him as anything else.

47 minutes ago, Jane M. said:

Why is Ben so anti-catholic? Yes he is anti-everything but there seems to be a very special hate towards that religion specifically. 

They hate just about everything. 

And yet-they think WE need to be taught tolerance. 

*i should probably clarify that by "WE" I'm not talking about Catholics, I'm referring to everyone who isn't fundie

36 minutes ago, Jane M. said:

Most (protestant) fundies are anti-Catholic. Jill and Derick are down in Central America to convert Catholics as well. They believe that Catholics aren't real Christians and are therefore going to hell, so they have to save them.

2 minutes ago, BadMurphy said:

They hate just about everything. 

And yet-they think WE need to be taught tolerance. 

i think it has something to do with them knowing deep down that there are massive flaws in their own theological practices, and catholicism being further along on the spectrum... so they go around with the mindset of 'if i can't have it, you can't have it either'.

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

Most (protestant) fundies are anti-Catholic. Jill and Derick are down in Central America to convert Catholics as well. They believe that Catholics aren't real Christians and are therefore going to hell, so they have to save them.

Anti-Catholicism has traditionally been a major part of American Protestant fundamentalism. The best way to put it is to say that a 100 years ago, Catholics were what Muslims are now -- an alien, illiberal religious group that could never be assimilated into American culture and held dual loyalties to foreign powers. This has lessened somewhat since the 1960s, as many conservative Protestants have decided that feminists, gays, and assorted dark-skinned others are more threatening than "white ethnic" Catholics, but the anti-Catholicism never really went away. Among reformed types like Ben, there seems to be a tendency to leghump the Magisterial Reformers, especially Calvin, which naturally leads to the view that the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon.

1 hour ago, Jane M. said:

As stated the Duggars as a whole are anti-Catholic, which is why they go on so many missions to Central America. For my Catholic self, the thing that Evangelicals always call to attention is the personal relationship between them and God. They see the priest as the go between and that is not the way Jesus intended or something. 

I'm sorry but I really wanted to leave one more right here. Rami Malek. He represents Egypt very well :56247955dd693_32(12):

IMG_9791.JPG

Another reason the Duggars and other fundies are anti-Catholic is because of the whole cult of Mary, as well as the veneration of saints. Some fundies even go as far as to claim that the Pope is the Antichrist, so it wouldn't surprise me if the Duggars all agree with that sentiment. Anti-Catholic sentiment is as old as the Reformation, and it's especially the case in what became the US. I would even say that one of the reasons the Irish were so hated was because most of those refugees of the potato famine were Catholics. To me, the modern equivalent is the anti-Muslim fears regarding the Syrian refugee crisis.

My grandmother once told me not to make friends with Catholics because they wouldn't be in heaven with us... She followed it up with of course that's for Jesus to decide, but with her look that meant she know what Jesus felt on the topic. She grandmother spent weeks crying not because her sister died but because she owned bibles that were not king James so therefore no heaven and wouldn't be seen again. It doesn't shock me at all that other fundies are generally anti catholic. 

It's all just fundie propaganda isn't it?

Their brand of Christianity has to be better than everybody else's otherwise why would anyone ever convert.

Whatever other churches do, they do it better. Or, actually, everybody else is wrong and only they know the true way to God.

Just like politics really. 

This message is brought to you by David Tennant in a Kilt.............. and the number 3 ;) 

DTkilt.jpg

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I had a fundie tell me that Catholics have a different Trinity.  They worship the Father, Mary and the Holy Spirit.  Utter and complete tripe, but there you go. 

On the flip side, my grandpa was Catholic and became Anglican to marry my grandmother, and a bunch of other Catholics told him he was going to hell. And I know plenty of conservative Catholics fully believe that Protestants are going to hell, so I guess it balances out in the end. Makes me hope there is an afterlife and they all get there, just to see their faces when they realize.

43 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Makes me hope there is an afterlife and they all get there, just to see their faces when they realize.

Reminds me of this:

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

On the flip side, my grandpa was Catholic and became Anglican to marry my grandmother, and a bunch of other Catholics told him he was going to hell. And I know plenty of conservative Catholics fully believe that Protestants are going to hell, so I guess it balances out in the end. Makes me hope there is an afterlife and they all get there, just to see their faces when they realize.

My grandpa has a similar situation except he became Lutheran. Most of his family disowned him after they were told by a priest that now he was in purgatory.

He's very happy with my grandma, and all those people are dead.

I come from three generations of Irish where Catholic married Protestant - none of the latter seemed that committed,as all agreed that kids would be raised Catholic. My maternal grandparents, where he was the Catholic, were the oddest - it was his Protestant wife who raised the kids as Catholic, taking them to Church, arranging baptism etc. But she was Protestant to the day she died......

I was raised  - with Catholic mother and Protestant father - that there were many routes to God. This was fairly revolutionary in the 1950s! I was never allowed to decry any other faith - Christian, Hindu, Jewish, Sikh, Muslim. I think my mother was decades ahead of her time - and I still miss her wisdom, though she has been dead for 18 years. I still believe in the many routes, and that no one has a monopoly on any God.

ETA Sorry for just saying 'Protestant' - but I honsstly have no idea what variety. I just know they weren't Catholic. I would guess Anglican, as my family is from the west of Ireland.

I have 3 hockey bfs  

Roman Josi ( practically tackled me at work one night )

Viktor Arvidsson ( always looks for me/ hugs at practice) 

Filip Forsberg ( looks for me, hugs,  calls me his buddy) 

IMG_0090.JPG

IMG_0091.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived