• Sky
  • Blueberry
  • Slate
  • Blackcurrant
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
choralcrusader8613

Seewalds 21: Walking Around Waco

572 posts in this topic

Last thread here:

Jessa and Ben (along with some family and friends) went to visit Jinger and Jeremy in TX. Travels to Waco ensued, because they love Chip and Joanna Gaines, I guess?

Spurgeon and Henry look cute in pictures, Jessa's speaking engagement is still on, and Ben is...still working for Jim Bob, I presume.

Until the next Instagram post...

11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

I would pay $25 to listen to a professor speak on a topic I found interesting. I would not pay $5 to listen to a Duggar blather on about anything.  The people you use probably spend years and months working on topics and information and weeks working on presentation. Jessa shows up say "like y'all dress like me" and gets $15k nope, She could literally work 1 day a month and make almost $200k a year, once you take out the PR/manger fee taxes and such its still around $100k that will support a family of 4 very nicely, she could have 2 or 3 more kids and still live fairly well in NW AK. She might has to work 2 days in a month or two if she has more kids than that. 

Well, my events are much more than $25. $25 in my area is generally an hour long lunch with a local speaker who is doing it to promote their business. Most people go for the networking. 

And you might be surprised at how terrible some of the speakers are who charge 35K and up can be. We've had really great, very professional speakers. And we've had some that come down to "topic i was paid for is good. I have a beach house. Let me tell you why I am better than you." I have no idea how much we paid for that guy, but I've found that anyone less than 60K is a toss-up.  Jessa being so inexpensive would be a no for sure. Not only is her "topic" irrelevant to anything we do, but if she was talking about something relevant, I'd still have to think twice. The lower in price, the more they want to shill for their own books. They sometimes turn out to have really weird beliefs that they want an audience to be captive for (Ayn Rand anyone?). Ugh. I hate event planning. 

8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Last thread here:

Jessa and Ben (along with some family and friends) went to visit Jinger and Jeremy in TX. Travels to Waco ensued, because they love Chip and Joanna Gaines, I guess?

 

My condolences to the people of Waco. Seriously.  I'm glad they're not walking around this city.  We've got more than enough fundies here. 

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Denominations in Waco, with number of churches in parenthesis.  These are just the churches listed on the ChurchAngel.com website: 

  • African Methodist Episcopal (4)
  • Anglican (2)
  • Apostolic (2)
  • Assemblies of God (2)
  • Baptist (79)
  • Bible (3)
  • Brethren (1)
  • Calvary Chapel (1)
  • Catholic (9)
  • Christian (4)
  • Christian and Missionary Alliance (1)
  • Church of Christ (9)
  • Church of God (15)
  • Church of God in Christ (1)
  • Church of the Nazarene (3)
  • Community (3)
  • Episcopal (3)
  • Evangelical (1)
  • Independent Bible (1)
  • Lutheran (7)
  • Mennonite (1)
  • Methodist (21)
  • Non-Denominational (12)
  • Pentecostal (2)
  • Presbyterian (4)
  • Seventh Day Adventist (4)
  • United Church of Christ (3)
  • United Methodist (7)
  • Unknown Denomination (1)

You read that right!  79 Baptist churches!  Which brings to mind: are there ATI specific churches? 

Edited by Howl
10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there are at least 230 churches in Waco? Does each church have like 9 members? 

9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I am soooo late to this discussion, but I have the same wifey shirt as Jessa, except in navy blue instead of grey, haha! :pb_lol: I bought it when I first got married as a tongue-in-cheek little wedding gift for myself, but I was also (admittedly...) really, really excited to be a new wife when I first got married, so I was overlooking a lot of wedding sexism because I was in a mushy mood a lot around the time I got married. :my_angel:

Having said all that though, wearing the "wifey" shirt definitely lost its novelty about six months after my wedding, and these days, it feels really weird to wear it anyplace except around the house in my sweat pants when I'm relaxing. It really speaks to how little Jessa has to look forward to in her life, to still be wearing that shirt almost 2 1/2 years after her wedding. 

32

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

How could a city with 136k people have so many churches? Not arguing with anyone, but that's just mind boggling to me. I live in a city with around a million population, and according to what I just looked up, and my rough count, there's fewer than 300 Christian churches here.

Will just add only around 50% of the population here identifies as Christian, and half those are Catholic. The demographics may be very different in Waco...

Edited by Kittikatz
Further musings
3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Howl said:

Denominations in Waco, with number of churches in parenthesis.  These are just the churches listed on the ChurchAngel.com website: 

  • African Methodist Episcopal (4)
  • Anglican (2)
  • Apostolic (2)
  • Assemblies of God (2)
  • Baptist (79)
  • Bible (3)
  • Brethren (1)
  • Calvary Chapel (1)
  • Catholic (9)
  • Christian (4)
  • Christian and Missionary Alliance (1)
  • Church of Christ (9)
  • Church of God (15)
  • Church of God in Christ (1)
  • Church of the Nazarene (3)
  • Community (3)
  • Episcopal (3)
  • Evangelical (1)
  • Independent Bible (1)
  • Lutheran (7)
  • Mennonite (1)
  • Methodist (21)
  • Non-Denominational (12)
  • Pentecostal (2)
  • Presbyterian (4)
  • Seventh Day Adventist (4)
  • United Church of Christ (3)
  • United Methodist (7)
  • Unknown Denomination (1)

You read that right!  79 Baptist churches!  Which brings to mind: are there ATI specific churches? 

*sarcasm* this is a truth fact. maybe not literally those specific numbers, but there are churches on pretty much every block in good ol' wacotown. not sure if there's anything ATI-specific, but probably several of those churches have similar beliefs. Waco is a college town, don't forget; also a "stepping stone" town to live/work in for many people (i worked at a local hospital and there were tons of docs/nurses/etc who were "temporaries").....many of the churchgoers are not members. also not sure, for that list, if that was *just* Waco, or the Waco-area. 

 

edit: we also have, in fact, a handful of mosques, synagogues, and other religious establishments tucked in around the area. it's a VERY religious city haha. 

Edited by ihaveanexamintwodays
6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Howl said:

Denominations in Waco, with number of churches in parenthesis.  These are just the churches listed on the ChurchAngel.com website: 

  • African Methodist Episcopal (4)
  • Anglican (2)
  • Apostolic (2)
  • Assemblies of God (2)
  • Baptist (79)
  • Bible (3)
  • Brethren (1)
  • Calvary Chapel (1)
  • Catholic (9)
  • Christian (4)
  • Christian and Missionary Alliance (1)
  • Church of Christ (9)
  • Church of God (15)
  • Church of God in Christ (1)
  • Church of the Nazarene (3)
  • Community (3)
  • Episcopal (3)
  • Evangelical (1)
  • Independent Bible (1)
  • Lutheran (7)
  • Mennonite (1)
  • Methodist (21)
  • Non-Denominational (12)
  • Pentecostal (2)
  • Presbyterian (4)
  • Seventh Day Adventist (4)
  • United Church of Christ (3)
  • United Methodist (7)
  • Unknown Denomination (1)

You read that right!  79 Baptist churches!  Which brings to mind: are there ATI specific churches? 

I believe other than the Catholic Church, baptists have the most members in the US, so that's not surprising.

Independent Fundamentalist Baptists are more prone to ATI. However, I've known some IFB folks from public school who were pretty normal in every day life (went to prom, shorts and normal swim suits, etc). 

I don't know about Waco, but in the town I grew up in, church was the center of culture, not even in a specifically religious way. It's where you had parties, met friends, etc. Even non religious folks might find themselves too many a church event.

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So come on who is coughing up money and going? 

bueller

7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't mind being down voted. There were some of you who were trying to understand my points. And yes I was trying to be honest .  I knew I was up against ridicule stating an outsiders opinion to a major majority of Americans if not all Americans.  I understand defending your country. To be fair outsiders see things you can't see when your in the thick of it.

There is a definite church culture in the USA that permeates deeply.  The church list kind of proves the point. But all I have to do is drive across the border and there is a substantial difference between the USA And Canada. All I have to do is turn on my TV. And your media is everywhere.

My focus was solely on American fundamentalism exclusively. In my mind that encompasses All baptist, independent baptist , reformed baptist or whatever you want to call it. And churches similar to or stand with James Dobson, John MacArthur, John Piper sorts. And because I was attending Gothard seminars before ATI came about Gothards doctrine has permeated the average church so much so his ideas have become so much ingrained into what they believe, they have no clue it wasn't there before the 70's and 80's.    That was my focus.

And to note if I opposed or hated the LGBTQ community ask me why I am friends with them?  At least one of you defended me in that regard. 

So down vote me all you want. All I am saying is I see things from a non American point of view. So kill me.

 

 

 

 

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just consider it poor form to go on the internet and demonize another nation. And as an American, if I did that the old shit would hit the fan.  

Just my preference. Trust me, no matter what is said, I will not unilaterally criticize Canada. Even if I think it. I'm just better than that. 

There ya go.....

19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Fluffy14 said:

So down vote me all you want. All I am saying is I see things from a non American point of view. So kill me.

Rufus bless 2.jpg

33

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Fluffy14 said:

So down vote me all you want. All I am saying is I see things from a non American point of view. So kill me.

I see things from a non-American point of view. There's a difference between that and generalizing. Some of the US are crazy fundamentalists, not all. Some of Canada is liberal and open minded, not all. Each country has to continue to move forward to being the best version. 

40

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And we can't just ignore how First Nations are treated in Canada either. 

Let us not pretend that 'some' countries racism and bigotry is 'better' racism than elsewhere. 

41

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Fluffy14 said:

  I knew I was up against ridicule stating an outsiders opinion to a major majority of Americans if not all Americans.  

My focus was solely on American fundamentalism exclusively. In my mind that encompasses All baptist, independent baptist , reformed baptist or whatever you want to call it. 

 

Majority of Americans? I'm not even sorry, if you have looked at a map and turned on a TV you know that we're a diverse country with large land mass and sporadic concentrations of people. We can barely agree with each other much less form a majority on anything. 

And don't get me started on the Baptist church. I grew up in it and moved 20+ times all over the south and all the churches ran the gamut on their levels of control, but only one was close to fundie. Even then, none of our leaders referenced Gothard. Women were free to wear pants, expected to go to college, and courting was non-existent. There are fundie Baptist churches, but I would consider them the minority. 

23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really glad to know that all 319 million Americans are painted with the same, broad brush. If all of us are church driven puritans who can't see our own faults, then why aren't you apologizing? I thought Canadians were supposed to be polite. 

25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please don't paint me.  I have sensitive skin.  

36

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

51 minutes ago, Minionmayhem said:

Majority of Americans? I'm not even sorry, if you have looked at a map and turned on a TV you know that we're a diverse country with large land mass and sporadic concentrations of people. We can barely agree with each other much less form a majority on anything. 

And don't get me started on the Baptist church. I grew up in it and moved 20+ times all over the south and all the churches ran the gamut on their levels of control, but only one was close to fundie. Even then, none of our leaders referenced Gothard. Women were free to wear pants, expected to go to college, and courting was non-existent. There are fundie Baptist churches, but I would consider them the minority. 

jeez I was talking about freejinger not all of America. and you don't need to reference gothard for it to be in the frame work of belief.

26 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I'm really glad to know that all 319 million Americans are painted with the same, broad brush. If all of us are church driven puritans who can't see our own faults, then why aren't you apologizing? I thought Canadians were supposed to be polite. 

I swear you people don't read.

1 hour ago, KelseyAnn said:

And we can't just ignore how First Nations are treated in Canada either. 

Let us not pretend that 'some' countries racism and bigotry is 'better' racism than elsewhere. 

This was not even on any of my posts. If any of you actually read what I had originally said you would have understood at least a part of it. What racism do you even speak? I was talking about the fundamentalist conservative church in America VS the Canadian version.

 

Edited by Fluffy14
-15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, high school taught me to read every third word for context not comprehension.  So my education sucked. Blame cps

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I just consider it poor form to go on the internet and demonize another nation. And as an American, if I did that the old shit would hit the fan.  

Just my preference. Trust me, no matter what is said, I will not unilaterally criticize Canada. Even if I think it. I'm just better than that. 

There ya go.....

WE are talking about fundamentalism ........all of us do on here. EVERYDAY. I was making statements concerning American  Fundamentalism   and conservativism in the states versus Canada and the differences between the two. . wow.

-6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Attempting to make a point and having that accepted is never helped by adding a side dish of attitude.

32

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pasta said:

To be fair, high school taught me to read every third word for context not comprehension.  So my education sucked. Blame cps

I am a product of CPS and was qualified for a highly selective university that I received a scholarship to attend. I was successful there. This was a long time ago, but then, as now, CPS schools varied widely in quality. Then, quality depended a lot on what neighborhood you lived in. Now, there are magnet and charter schools that are not so neighborhood dependent, but they tend to skim off the best students, so poorly performing schools perform even more poorly. Public education in Chicago remains problematic.

I was a member of a Baptist church that was in no way fundamentalist. Canada has FLDS groups, they are pretty conservative by most standards.

11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

I was a member of a Baptist church that was in no way fundamentalist. Canada has FLDS groups, they are pretty conservative by most standards.

We also have mennonites, mormons, and our former PM, Steve, was a part of an weird evangelical church. We have Jehovah's Witnesses as well, I'm sick of them leaving tracts in my door. More secular but there are nutjobs everywhere and they aren't all religious. :P 

14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are there Scientologists in Canada? Jehovah Witnesses are everywhere except where outlawed, I guess.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.