IGNORED

JinJer: Return of the "Crotch V" (Yes, PANTS!)

Destiny

23 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

I'm in the US and despise bumbo seats as many of us do.  My grandchildren also loathed them and saw them only as something to learn how to escape.  I'd say average total time per grandchild in a bumbo was around 10 to 15 minutes.  Grandson specialized in turning them over and trying to roll away.  There is definitely not a big push on keeping infants lying flat though.  Daughter's pediatrician discouraged that although he also discouraged extensive time in the car seat.

Our physical therapist told us to never use the Bumbos. I stuck my boys in them for a picture one time, then ditched them.

I've never heard about keeping babies laying flat. Our stroller laid flat in the back seat (tandem) so we could stick both babies in there. But 99.9% of the time we just attached their two car seats to it, until they could hold their heads and fit in the seats.

4 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

I'm baffled by a pram that fits a two to three year old.  There must be some use for it that we don't have.  Grandson quit the stroller permanently before 18 months.  He would not ride lying flat unless he was asleep.  They did have the lie flat option and used it a few times when he was a newborn.  He never slept well in the stroller so they quit.  He had to SEEEEEEEE and try to touch things.  Granddaughter was a bit more of a stroller fan.  She lasted to perhaps 20 months on a limited basis.

My boys looooooved the stroller. Took their last stroller walk at 4.5 years old, when two 35 pound kids and an enormous tandem stroller were just too heavy for me to continue pushing! We walked all over CT, NJ/NYC, and MN in that stroller. Kept me sane when I had two babies/toddlers.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

It is not recommended that newborns stay in their car seat for more than 30 minutes, so all of those travel systems are kinda baffling (and sad) to me. Don't do it. Also a baby doesn't seem very snug in a stroller. Here you can get carrycots to put on the stroller frame, for when the baby is little. 

(In Denmark you can get prams where the baby can lie flat up until age 2-3 years) 

The 30 minute cutoff is just until 4 weeks as far as I remember - which is fine since most parents don't go out too much or too far away when baby is that young. After that it should be up to two hours. Not sure what age that cutoff ends.

The car seats that click in usually have a max weight limit around 35 pounds (minimum is 4 - which I only know because the NICU Nurses had to test our seat before our 5 pound daughter was discharged to be sure she'd be safe.) Usually the car seat stops being used in the stroller when the baby has good head and neck control, which varies kid to kid - but it can continue being used in the car until the weight/height limit is hit. It's a great solution for people concerned with costs since the stroller can be used up to around 50 pounds (depends on the stroller.)

So, long story short - Baby only uses the car seat in the stroller a short period of time, they're perfectly cozy, and it's completely safe. :) 

(Velocibaby hits five months in a week. She still uses the car seat in the stroller, but will likely graduate to just the stroller within the next few months.)

@Bad Wolf, You should take GrandWolf to a baseball game at Nats Park. It's a very nice ballpark with good food and a family feel. Possibly outside of your budget, but you can get some decent deals.

14 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

Laancaster : )

... I will neither confirm nor deny that I'm currently drooling thinking about the food of Lancaster County.... 

I ate at Topolobampo a few years back and it was not spectacular. The only outstanding thing was an aged cheese ice cream. The attached (cheaper) grill had a better menu and Betsey Johnson was dining there. 

@candygirl200413 if y'all are downtown, Latinicity is pretty good and there will be something for everyone.

Kuma's is a favourite of mine and worth checking out if you like mac and cheese, burgers and rock/metal. (It's pretty loud and smoky but delicious food)

On the topic of car seats, my dog has two.

6 hours ago, mydoggoskeeper said:

IMHO Founding Farmers has gone really down hill in the last few years.  It was great when it opened but since they opened up several other locations its become a tourist mecca and the food/service quality has slid.  One of the top DC food critics recently gave them an updated scathing review.

Really? I first went for my birthday 3 years ago I believe, but I've really only ever had their brunch. I can agree on the service quality though. If you know of any other good brunch places with beignets let me know, I'm always down for some good fried food lol. 

1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

@Bad Wolf, You should take GrandWolf to a baseball game at Nats Park. It's a very nice ballpark with good food and a family feel. Possibly outside of your budget, but you can get some decent deals.

*whispers* Come to Camden Yards instead :evil-laugh:

I always love the thread drift in these Jinger threads--it's like a Free Jinger lucky dip! A surprise every time!

34 minutes ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

I ate at Topolobampo a few years back and it was not spectacular. The only outstanding thing was an aged cheese ice cream. The attached (cheaper) grill had a better menu and Betsey Johnson was dining there. 

@candygirl200413 if y'all are downtown, Latinicity is pretty good and there will be something for everyone.

Kuma's is a favourite of mine and worth checking out if you like mac and cheese, burgers and rock/metal. (It's pretty loud and smoky but delicious food)

On the topic of car seats, my dog has two.

I agree, I like Frontera Grill better than Topolobampo, though Frontera is loud and always very crowded.  The Purple Pig and Girl and the Goat are great too.  So much good stuff to eat in Chi-town.   We ate at a fun little eclectic place called Beatrix recently and it was interesting.  And there is a place off of Rush street that has over 10 different Mole' Sauces everyday.  They flavors rotate daily.  My mouth waters when thinking of the cashew mole' and the traditional mole.    Very tasty.  If you are a meat eater, there are some really great steak places.  Gibsons is yummy, but very pricey.  And Primehouse at The James hotel is really terrific if you like aged steak.  Again, save your pennies because that place is expensive. 

As to Pizza,  I am more of a Connie's pizza from the southside fan, which is a thinner crust.  Lou Malnoti's is supposedly the home of the Deep Dish style, but lots of places will claim that.  For a really cheesy and different take on Pizza go to Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder.  If you don't like cheese, this isn't for you, but if you love and crave a cheesy pizza this is worth a try.   The make the pizza sort of inside out.  It is served in a bowl with the crust over the top of the bowl.  The waiter then loosens the crust from the edge of the bowl, flips it upside down on to your plate and this amazing cheesy, gooey mess comes out.  It looks weird, but tastes good if you like that much cheese.  Google it as there are lots of pictures of their pizza on the net.  I think it has been featured on food/travel shows over the years as well. I first went to over 25 years ago and at that time it was definitely the strangest pizza I have ever had. 

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

... I will neither confirm nor deny that I'm currently drooling thinking about the food of Lancaster County.... 

OMG i spelled my own damn town wrong. What do you like to eat from here? To me it all seems like bland mush. The road stands are awesome in the summer though.

12 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

OMG i spelled my own damn town wrong. What do you like to eat from here? To me it all seems like bland mush. The road stands are awesome in the summer though.

:pb_lol:

I haven't been since I was nine. I don't remember the names of places, I just remember I liked the food a lot.

@candygirl200413 I'm not as familiar with stuff to do in Lombard itself, but there are some pretty good places in nearby suburbs!  If you guys are willing to make a 35-ish minute drive to another suburb called Geneva, there's a place called Barrel + Rye that my family and I really enjoyed.  There's also a really great bakery/dessert-type place in Geneva called All Chocolate Kitchen that I highly recommend.  As for going into the city, I'm mostly familiar with places on the north side and the Wicker Park/Bucktown area, if you guys think you'll spend time there

10 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

I'm still traumatized from the time I was maybe 9/10 going through a chicken nuggets only phase and ordered chicken off the kids menu at the Amish restaurant we went to and they brought me a whole bird... I became a vegetarian shortly after though I won't blame them lol 

This was the same trip my (atheist) grandfather thought seeing Noah's Ark with live animals would be SO GREAT for the children... at the Sight and Sound theatre... Jesus came down on the cross at the end and condemned us all to hell. and those "super cool" live animals pooped all over. 

Safe to say I don't have fond memories of Lancaster ;) 

13 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

Oh, we camped a LOT in Lancaster County. What fun!

13 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

All the Amish/Mennonites would bring jelly and baked goods to the campgrounds to sell on Saturday mornings. Shoo fly pie, black raspberry pie and jam,  you name it..

12 hours ago, purple_summer said:

*whispers* Come to Camden Yards instead :evil-laugh:

Boog Powell still has his barbecue, you can get crab cakes, they play "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" at the seventh inning stretch, and you can get crab cakes  if that's your thing!

Speaking of Amish - there's supposed to be more than one in Minnesota that offers tours, and one day I'm taking my German mother, and we're just going to listen to them talk about all the "English" people, and see how nice (or not) they really are, when they don't think anybody's listening ;)

And the food.  We want us some Amish food.
(And I want to take my hubby, since he's a craftsman, to get a little tour of how they use their tools - I think he'd get a kick out of it).
Anyways, visiting an Amish community is on my bucket list!

I was thinking of the pants issue: Women shouldn't wear pants because they are not modest, etc. 

Well, pants aren't all that modest on men either if you think about it.    Because that bulge is there for all the world to see.  And if they get an erection - VOILA!   NIKE!!!!!!!  or in the case of Duggar women: FLIP FLOP (No pun intended on the flop part)

@MoonFace, some years ago, some batshit crazy state legislator here in SC proposed legislation that would have outlawed little boys peeing in their own backyards, letting your little girl go topless even when no one but family can see her and men could not be out on the street with pants tight enough that you could "see their member in a noticiable state of turgidity"  Yep, that was the actual language of the legislation  and yep, I think that idiot used the word "member" .  IIRC, the law was proposed by Mike Fair who is thankfully no longer on office.  It didn't get out of committee, but damn, it was close.  If the legislation had passed, teenage boys could not walk on a public street in SC.  

14 hours ago, potato said:

@candygirl200413 I'm not as familiar with stuff to do in Lombard itself, but there are some pretty good places in nearby suburbs!  If you guys are willing to make a 35-ish minute drive to another suburb called Geneva, there's a place called Barrel + Rye that my family and I really enjoyed.  There's also a really great bakery/dessert-type place in Geneva called All Chocolate Kitchen that I highly recommend.  As for going into the city, I'm mostly familiar with places on the north side and the Wicker Park/Bucktown area, if you guys think you'll spend time there

Also, the Burger Local in Geneva is fantastic!  Best burger I ever had, craft beers and a neat atmosphere. 

3 hours ago, MoonFace said:

I was thinking of the pants issue: Women shouldn't wear pants because they are not modest, etc. 

Well, pants aren't all that modest on men either if you think about it.    Because that bulge is there for all the world to see.  And if they get an erection - VOILA!   NIKE!!!!!!!  or in the case of Duggar women: FLIP FLOP (No pun intended on the flop part)

But women are not "visual". We don't respond to how men look. We don't find their physiques attractive. We are only emotional. We don't look at a hot guy and think, "ooh, I want that". 

Did you forget? Do you need a refresher on fundy modesty nonsense? 

7 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Boog Powell still has his barbecue, you can get crab cakes, they play "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" at the seventh inning stretch, and you can get crab cakes  if that's your thing!

Crab fries! Crab chips! Crab pretzels! 

I actually missed "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" one time 2 summers ago because I was in line for a crab pretzel. I'm still upset.

1 hour ago, louisa05 said:

Did you forget? Do you need a refresher on fundy modesty nonsense? 

Oops,  I've been doing it all wrong.  Thanks for reminding me!

21 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

I used to live there! I miss some of the local eateries very much especially my favorite dive bar. The Lucky Dog on Columbia Ave. has the best nachos ever, and the Federal Taphouse had great beer. 

2 hours ago, mtc3659 said:

I used to live there! I miss some of the local eateries very much especially my favorite dive bar. The Lucky Dog on Columbia Ave. has the best nachos ever, and the Federal Taphouse had great beer. 

I lived on Columbia Ave when i was a kid. : ) 

On 4/24/2017 at 2:40 PM, Maggie Mae said:

Is Nebraska the Midwest? As with Iowa, I think I always considered it to be Heartland, but I guess that's a designation that isn't really a thing anymore. 

I suppose things could have changed in the past 10 years. :) Glad you have decent food! 

The heartland is the midwest.

Thumbs down to Amish for their puppy mills.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived