IGNORED

Recommend a book to me

RoseWilder

I thought I would start a thread where we could tell what kind of books we like to read, and other people can recommend books that are similar that they think we would like. 

I'll go first. I like cozy, curl-up-under-a-blanket, Jane Austen-type books. 

Any recommendations? 

i just read (for about the third time) The Elm at the Edge of the Earth by Robert Hale.  it takes place in a rural asylum in the early 20th century; the building is a real place near where i live.  it's not really suspenseful or anything, but it's an interesting story.

https://www.amazon.com/Elm-Edge-Earth-Robert-Hale/dp/0393028615

• 3 weeks later...

For a light hearted mystery series read the Chet the Dog series by Spencer Quinn. It about a dog protagonist who partners with his human in a detective agency. Cute and funny.

On 5/2/2017 at 7:34 PM, onekidanddone said:

For a light hearted mystery series read the Chet the Dog series by Spencer Quinn. It about a dog protagonist who partners with his human in a detective agency. Cute and funny.

I think I might like those.  I've been a fan of the Mrs Murphy mysteries by Rita Mae Brown which have a corgi named Tucker in them.  Tucker helps the cat, Mrs Murphy, solve mysteries.  I also like the earlier Cat Who mysteries by Lilian Jackson Braun.  The earlier books are better written.  The latter ones are to be avoided.  Ms Brain was getting older and there is a good suspicion that the very last books were written by a ghost writer.  They are best avoided.

I've read many of Rita Mae Brown's work over the years.  Both her her cat books and other novels. Six of One, Loose Lips and Biingo.

• 6 months later...

I would like to recommend an author, M.M. Justus, who has written time-travel romances and a series called The Unearthly Northwest which is very good.  It is also unfortunately a finished (not necessarily complete) series because the author has terminal cancer and will not be writing again. 

For full disclosure, she is a friend of mine, but I have definitely read and enjoyed these works!

http://mmjustus.com/tales-of-the-unearthly-northwest/

There is a picture ad under the spoiler.

Spoiler

23376614_1746696035355116_4856950958115347692_n.jpg

• 9 months later...

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd ask for recommendations here. 

I am always looking for recommendations for post-apocalyptic novels (I know, a sad literary addiction, with zombies and mysterious plagues and whatnot), and now I am interested in fiction about the post-Rapture world.  I'm not talking about biblical studies and dire warnings by preachers, but stories about what happens after the Rapture.  Hope that makes sense!

Thanks!

On 11/10/2017 at 9:34 PM, desertvixen said:

time-travel romances and a series called The Unearthly Northwest

Thank you for the recommendation.  I ordered this novel from Amazon (I'm interested in time travel) and am looking forward to reading the first volume.  I am sorry to hear about your friend. 

Archived