IGNORED

Blackjack Bateses! - Bates 21

choralcrusader8613

Allie Jane is super cute... I am still shocked at how young Alyssa looks. I mean, that is because she IS young, but it always catches me off guard. She really was a young woman when she got married.

So now Carlin is courting, in addition to Tori with her boyfriend Bobby. All those girls on the fast track to marriage and babies... The Bateses don't have the same record with the boys. I have to wonder if the next Bates boy who courts will actually marry the girl, considering that Zach had a failed courtship with Sarah Reith and Nathan broke it off with Ashley.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/11/2017 at 10:14 AM, nausicaa said:

With Carlin already courting (special friends? dourting? I can't keep all their levels straight), she may very well be a teen bride. Unfortunately, immaturity goes hand in hand with impatience. And I worry this is setting a trend for the younger daughters. 

I did a run down of their definitions recently in one of these threads after spending time skimming the Bateses old blog. Their method is pretty similar to the Duggars in your opinion. Here's the basic idea (as best as I can tell):

1. Pre-courtship. Phase where the potential couple gets to know one another on a more superficial basis - likes, dislikes, etc. - to see if they want to further pursue a relationship. Also known as "speshul friends" phase, though the Bateses use boyfriend/girlfriend during this phase now too.

Real World Equivalent: Friends or Casual Dating

2. Courtship. Phase where they're officially in a relationship. Get to know one another on a deeper level to determine if they want to get married. This is the phase where the Duggars seem to start using boyfriend/girlfriend.

Real World Equivalent: Dating someone exclusively or seriously

3. Engagement. Phase where the couple is actively planning their wedding and prepping for married life. Also known as JinJer's "Baaaaaaaaaabe" phase.

Real World Equivalent: Engagement

4. Marriage. When the couple is allowed to fuck for Jesus.

Real World Equivalent: Marriage or another form of a long-term commitment (i.e. Common-law marriage, living together for years, having children or furry children together, etc.)

I wouldn't be surprised if Carlin is actually courting at this point and they just haven't announced it.

Hope that helps! 

Are Ccarlin and Evan officially courting? I must have overlooked something?

@VelociRapture Thanks! I should have also specified that my confusion comes not only from the different levels but just keeping track of which young Fundie is doing what. They all begin to blend together at some point. 

(Also, I just love using "dourting" whenever I can. Because there is nothing greater in this world than Steve Maxwell trying to sound hip.)

3 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

Are Ccarlin and Evan officially courting? I must have overlooked something?

I don't think they are "officially" courting. There has been no big UP courtship proposal. So unofficially courting :confusion-shrug:

They're just so irritatingly holier than thou, with their dopey rules. Carlin is OTT as it is, I think the spotlight shining on her would make her too annoying.

12 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I don't think they are "officially" courting. There has been no big UP courtship proposal. So unofficially courting :confusion-shrug:

Yeah--no doubt the big courtship proposal will be next season, along with Tori's probable engagement and wedding.

2 hours ago, nausicaa said:

@VelociRapture Thanks! I should have also specified that my confusion comes not only from the different levels but just keeping track of which young Fundie is doing what. They all begin to blend together at some point. 

(Also, I just love using "dourting" whenever I can. Because there is nothing greater in this world than Steve Maxwell trying to sound hip.)

I feel that the Lord is placing it on my heart to read about the Maxwells the next time my precious blessing requires a feeding. Pray for me. :pb_lol:

Courting seemed to have calmed Tori's hyper ass down.

8 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Yeah--no doubt the big courtship proposal will be next season, along with Tori's probable engagement and wedding.

Not so fast. Tomorrow night's episode includes "I Love You Day." I could see a courtship proposal then. It' the season finale, so there has to be *something* interesting to keep the viewers coming back in June. 

Dear lord Stevhovah does not actually use the word "dourting" does he??  Surprising especially since their family hasn't had anyone dourting in years and haven't announced anything short of marriage since years prior to that. 

11 minutes ago, JMO said:

Dear lord Stevhovah does not actually use the word "dourting" does he??  Surprising especially since their family hasn't had anyone dourting in years and haven't announced anything short of marriage since years prior to that. 

Yes! During their last conference series, one of the presentations was called "Dating, Courtship, Dorting, Betrothal, or Whatever."

See, you guys, Steve is hip with the portmanteaus. And he's saying "whatever," like the kids do, because there's really no one right way to do it and we can't be pharisaical about these things.

On 4/12/2017 at 4:02 PM, VelociRapture said:

I feel that the Lord is placing it on my heart to read about the Maxwells the next time my precious blessing requires a feeding. Pray for me. :pb_lol:

Ummmm.... I feel I must speak what is on my heart here @VelociRapture, but why in seven hells did you stop recapping bringing up bates? I'm all for maternity leave, but I'm from the u.s. So that's basically like 6 weeks. I used to literally lol at them. I miss you recaps, please next season come back. Have a servant's heart and be a diligent worker.

No announced engagement or courtship on I Love You Day. We know the "wedding" coming up next season is Tabby and The Rapists'. I was flipping between this and hockey, so I missed exactly what Tori said about a wedding and  May; I'm assuming it's 5/18. Carlin could very easily be married before Tori; she and Evan had already been "special friends" for five months on I Love You Day. 

Nice tribute for Mamma Jane. 

Go Alyssa! A private birth for these people for a change! No one in the birthing room other than the midwife and John. But they said that the midwife pretty much shoos them home four hours after the birth. I've never given birth, but I couldn't imagine being up and about four hours after hours of hard labor. 

Yeah, Tori was saying she wants to get married NEXT May when she's done with school. 

I think it's great that's so important to her. She specifically does not want to take any time off. She wants to finish. 

4 minutes ago, zygote373 said:

Yeah, Tori was saying she wants to get married NEXT May when she's done with school. 

I think it's great that's so important to her. She specifically does not want to take any time off. She wants to finish. 

Oh really? That's a refreshing change! 

I liked Alyssa's expression when she realized her family was coming she didn't look thrilled when she explained her family told her only the day before they were coming.  Maybe it was because of the short noticed but  I don't think she wanted them to come in the first place.

Erin was married before she graduated. Hell, she might have already had a couple miscarriages by graduation, since she finally got diagnosed and was pregnant by September. 

I don't see why Tori couldn't have a nice winter wedding over the semester break. Then again, Erin seems to have more focus than Tori. 

I do think that Carlin is out of school for good THIS May. The wiki says she's already courting, but the only thing that says that is her roleplay Instagram. 

I felt for Tori. I knew a few acquaintances that got married over winter break but planning during your last fall semester especially going towards finals was just really stressful.

Also I didn't realize how Lexi Mae looked just like Allie Jane as a baby! Also is Carlin a senior in high school right now?

1 hour ago, JordynDarby5 said:

I liked Alyssa's expression when she realized her family was coming she didn't look thrilled when she explained her family told her only the day before they were coming.  Maybe it was because of the short noticed but  I don't think she wanted them to come in the first place.

She knew her family was coming but didn't know exactly who til the day before.

20 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

Also is Carlin a senior in high school right now?

No.  She graduated last year with a big graduation party.

1 hour ago, marmalade said:

We know the "wedding" coming up next season is Tabby and The Rapists'.

How do we know this?

I have to say I really feel for Nathan.

He hasn't been on the show much since the break-up with Ashley, and in this episode they have him fly Bobby to TN from FL so that he can attend the couples' dinner they have the night before I Love You Day. Then when he drops off Bobby, I don't know what it was but something about the way that Kelly spoke to him rubbed me the wrong way. First she said "Now Bobby, what did you think of Nathan's flying skills?, in a sort of joking half criticizing way....I'm watching Nathan's face as he's trying to smile and laugh along, Bobby is very quick to criticize and rag on him, as it seems everyone else is too. Then Kelly says to him before he leaves, "Come back when you've got a girl" I was just like......I know this is presented as "joking", but I don't know....I read before he and Kelly had a hard time getting along as he grew up, and hearing him treated that way sort of just used as a transport person then told to leave, it was sort of degrading in a way that I Cna't seem to put my finger on.

Tori was very kind and thankful for Nathan's help, I just couldn't stand Kelly....she's so obnoxious. It feels like now Nathan had this failed courtship, his time in the spotlight is over, and between freaking Lawson "Look At Me" Bates, and Trace dressing up as some kind of movie star cowboy, it's like where does he fit? Then with Kelly as a mother.....ugh I just feel for him, there was something in his expression when he was listening to Bobby respond about his flying, the camera was on his face for a good while, there was just alot of masked smiling....

11 hours ago, Exjw2015deed said:

Ummmm.... I feel I must speak what is on my heart here @VelociRapture, but why in seven hells did you stop recapping bringing up bates? I'm all for maternity leave, but I'm from the u.s. So that's basically like 6 weeks. I used to literally lol at them. I miss you recaps, please next season come back. Have a servant's heart and be a diligent worker.

:laughing-rolling:

Part of it was because baby. But a big part was because husband. He'd make so much fun of me if he ever found out I had watched that show. I recapped some episodes last year during tax season when he was too busy to notice. 

11 hours ago, marmalade said:

No announced engagement or courtship on I Love You Day. We know the "wedding" coming up next season is Tabby and The Rapists'. I was flipping between this and hockey, so I missed exactly what Tori said about a wedding and  May; I'm assuming it's 5/18. Carlin could very easily be married before Tori; she and Evan had already been "special friends" for five months on I Love You Day. 

Nice tribute for Mamma Jane. 

Go Alyssa! A private birth for these people for a change! No one in the birthing room other than the midwife and John. But they said that the midwife pretty much shoos them home four hours after the birth. I've never given birth, but I couldn't imagine being up and about four hours after hours of hard labor. 

I had an epidural. It didn't wear off completely for close to 12 hours - for whatever reason it really effected my left leg. I wasn't able to visit my daughter in NICU for 14 hours and it was killing me to wait.

I'd personally prefer to wait longer than four hours to be sent home, but if Alyssa and Lexi were fine that's what counts. I guess you might as well recover at home if you're both in good health - especially if someone is available to help out.

10 hours ago, marmalade said:

Erin was married before she graduated. Hell, she might have already had a couple miscarriages by graduation, since she finally got diagnosed and was pregnant by September. 

Erin had several miscarriages. I keep thinking it's three for some reason. The one we know most about though was due a week before Bradley - so early/mid October 2014. That means they likely conceived in January of that year. They mentioned the loss on their blog in mid-March of 2014. I would think the loss happened sometime around then, though it's absolutely possible they waited a bit to share anything. 

That leaves about six or seven months or so between the time they lost that pregnancy and when Erin would have gotten pregnant with Carson (I would guess anywhere between the second week of September through the second week of October.) Going off my own experience - miscarrying late February and conceiving again just under two months later - it's absolutely possible to experience more miscarriages in that time frame.

So it looks like she had at least one loss while in school, though it's possible she had another loss while studying too. :( 

10 hours ago, marmalade said:

I don't see why Tori couldn't have a nice winter wedding over the semester break. Then again, Erin seems to have more focus than Tori. 

Did Erin take any time off or did she finish in 4 years? I can't remember.

She said just what you did, why not get married over break. But Tori said she didn't want to take any semesters off and Erin agreed that, in that case, it was best to wait.

My guess is that planning these crazy huge fundie weddings, usually in 3 months, is a full time job. It was already a pain planning my 60 person wedding in 9 months while working. I can't imagine planning something for 1000 people while studying full time. (Though Tori did say she was NOT going to plan her wedding because she didn't care, she'd just show up, haha. I doubt she can get away with that, though.)

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived