IGNORED

Blackjack Bateses! - Bates 21

choralcrusader8613

Previous thread here:

Carlin has a boyfriend, Alyssa has Allie Jane helping take care of Lexi, and Josie wants to work in a salon. Just some of the many things the Bateses have been up to since the beginning of the last thread.

Carry on, folks!

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Tori had that wig on and was next to Carlin, I was so shocked how similar their faces are. All the kids have similarities, but I've never noticed any of the kids look that similar, especially among the older girls.

I'm also thinking Josie might be allowed to work, especially if she hasn't got a "special friend" to fawn after any time soon. Correct me if I'm wrong, Michaela worked as a babysitter and Erin taught paino before they married?Josie could easily cater exclusively to fundies (is. Weddings or engagement photo styling), or even work in a salon and still be able to manage the house if it's close to home. 

I guess her ability to work is very dependant on how quickly Tori and Carlin's relationships progress. She could very easily be the oldest unmarried daughter by next year, so she might end up being restricted to occasional work rather than something more regular and permanent. Hopefully she gets to enjoy her career before being packaged off in a few years time. Hopefully her husband is reasonable and 'allows' her to work as long as the home and the kids don't suffer.

She seems like a nice girl and she seems to enjoy what's she's learning and using her skills. I hope that her dream doesn't get crushed before it even gets the chance to grow properly.

Yes, Michaela and Erin worked plus Alyssa worked in a florist shope.

4 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

When Tori had that wig on and was next to Carlin, I was so shocked how similar their faces are. All the kids have similarities, but I've never noticed any of the kids look that similar, especially among the older girls.

I think that Carlin and Lawson and one of the other older boys (don't know their names that well) have the same exact face.  

Maybe they roleplay themselves to stop people roleplaying as them? Some sort of roleplay inception, if you will.

Might explain why the captions and comments are horrendously uncreative.

Anyone else disturbed by the little Bates boys complaining about having to get up at 7:30am when staying with Michael and Brandon? They way they carried on, I gathered that they get to sleep past 8am, and very possibly later, on a regular basis, and then they stay up till all hours.

The vast majority of working/studying Americans get up before 7:30am on weekdays  [see http://www.edisonresearch.com/wake-me-up-series-2/ and other studies]. The Bates lack of structure makes it more difficult for their  kids to adjust to college or work schedules. It is one of the many ways that fundy mega families like the Bates and Duggars handicap their offspring.

The lack of a regular bedtime seems like more of a big deal to me than not getting up past 8 a.m, but I suppose if they had a regular (and reasonable) bedtime there would be no reason for them to sleep in much past that. The lack of structure in some of these fundie households really confuses me, as they're supposed to be all about order, discipline and rules. 

I agree with the concern of a lack of structure especially with bedtime. I'm hoping though that they actually sleep in beds and not like duggars who just sleep anywhere.

On 4/9/2017 at 8:47 AM, Kangaroo said:

I'm also thinking Josie might be allowed to work, especially if she hasn't got a "special friend" to fawn after any time soon. Correct me if I'm wrong, Michaela worked as a babysitter and Erin taught paino before they married?Josie could easily cater exclusively to fundies (is. Weddings or engagement photo styling), or even work in a salon and still be able to manage the house if it's close to home. 

I guess her ability to work is very dependant on how quickly Tori and Carlin's relationships progress. She could very easily be the oldest unmarried daughter by next year, so she might end up being restricted to occasional work rather than something more regular and permanent. Hopefully she gets to enjoy her career before being packaged off in a few years time. Hopefully her husband is reasonable and 'allows' her to work as long as the home and the kids don't suffer.

Wow, it's crazy to think that pretty soon Josie could be the oldest unmarried daughter. 

Yes, I hope she takes after Michael and Erin and has a little time before getting married. They were still super young, but were adults who at least had had some time to earn money and pursue interests (in a limited way). I mean, their brains had at least transitioned from a hormonal teenage mess. I can't say the same for Carlin...

I worry though that Tori and Carlin have set a trend, and now 24 will seem "old" for Josie to get married. Neither Michael, Zach, nor Erin married super young, so they had other young adults at home working and it didn't seem as odd. Six years of single young adulthood will probably seem interminable to Josie at this point. 

I hope I'm wrong. 

Other than the Maxwells, it seems as though most of the fundies say they don't get up early or are night owls or basically the kids decide when they want to go to sleep. It's interesting considering how they control everything about their kids' lives, except their sleeping habits. The Duggars never had to get up early because you don't have to be anywhere early to run jim Bob's businesses. My guess with the Bates family is that the only people who got up early were Gil and the Boys When they had a tree job, Michael to go to her nanny job, and the girls that have/had classes at crown college. Otherwise, everyone makes their own schedule. 

The Shupes are also quite strict with schedules, although of course the seven youngest are in public school now. When all nine were homeschooled, Erika typically got up at 5am and went to bed at 9:30. Her kids tended to get up around 6/7 and all went to bed at 9. Now that her seven youngest are in PS, Erika still has a schedule in place, of course.  There isn't a copy of her current schedule anywhere, but her wake up and bed times seem to be similar. I'm assuming the kids' times are also the same.

/threaddrift

4 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Wow, it's crazy to think that pretty soon Josie could be the oldest unmarried daughter. 

Yes, I hope she takes after Michael and Erin and has a little time before getting married. They were still super young, but were adults who at least had had some time to earn money and pursue interests (in a limited way). I mean, their brains had at least transitioned from a hormonal teenage mess. I can't say the same for Carlin...

I worry though that Tori and Carlin have set a trend, and now 24 will seem "old" for Josie to get married. Neither Michael, Zach, nor Erin married super young, so they had other young adults at home working and it didn't seem as odd. Six years of single young adulthood will probably seem interminable to Josie at this point. 

I hope I'm wrong. 

At least she has Katie right behind her. It's not quite as dramatic as Joy Anna's gap until Johanna. Hopefully they can keep each other company for a while, and working could be a nice distraction for Josie.

20 hours ago, eleanora3 said:

So Evan Stewart follows a Carlin Bates roleplay account on Instagram and I think that's hilarious 

FullSizeRender.jpg

Do they even know w hat role playing is? 

I come from a large family - not Bates size, but in the teens - and yes, there is surprisingly little structure in most of these families. Even now with only a few kids left at home, my mother will regularly stay up until 3 a.m. or later and then sleep until noon. I'm not a night owl so my family always seemed to think I was a little stuck up for going to bed at a decent time. I love structure and routine, but the only part of that to be found in my upbringing was what I created myself.

Came across this on Facebook and it reminded me of here, and all the big bow haters [emoji23]

Spoiler

7cac70cea9e5475a9d180c6703e2843a.jpg

Mods:I'm not sure how to put the pic under a spoiler through the Tapatalk app, sorry.

4 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

Do they even know w hat role playing is? 

I think he's following it because he thinks it's funny

18 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I hope I'm wrong. 

Actually, Erin was only 22 when she married Chad. Tori is 21 now, she she may end up being the same age as Erin unless she marries very soon. At 25, Michael was by far the oldest to get married. Alyssa was only 19. If Carlin gets married soon, she may be just as young, or she may be 20 by the time she gets married. Either way, I would say Michael was the outlier to begin with.

That said, I do hope the soon-to-be adult Bates girls wait longer than most of their older sisters and actually get a chance to grow up (at least as far as that is possible for SAH fundie daughters).

The Bates sons and sons-in-law appear to be a different story. There were all 24+ when they got married, I believe.

16 minutes ago, JillyO said:

Actually, Erin was only 22 when she married Chad. Tori is 21 now, she she may end up being the same age as Erin unless she marries very soon. At 25, Michael was by far the oldest to get married. Alyssa was only 19. If Carlin gets married soon, she may be just as young, or she may be 20 by the time she gets married. Either way, I would say Michael was the outlier to begin with.

That said, I do hope the soon-to-be adult Bates girls wait longer than most of their older sisters and actually get a chance to grow up (at least as far as that is possible for SAH fundie daughters).

The Bates sons and sons-in-law appear to be a different story. There were all 24+ when they got married, I believe.

Oh, they were still all way too young to be getting married in my opinion, but I was thinking of Erin's 22 and nearly done with college as compared to Alyssa or Carlin. 

With Carlin already courting (special friends? dourting? I can't keep all their levels straight), she may very well be a teen bride. Unfortunately, immaturity goes hand in hand with impatience. And I worry this is setting a trend for the younger daughters. 

I suppose Tori just seems much more immature than her older sisters and so I think of her as much younger. 

And ditto on hoping they all give themselves plenty of time to grow up before marriage and kids.

I don't know. I think whether they're ready to be married depends on the individual person. I've known folks who were married at 19 and they had the maturity to handle it, and I've known folks who really weren't there until much later. I married young-ish(probably fairly average by fundie standards) and it has been good for me, but I had friends who were nowhere near ready for that in their early 20s.

Granted I don't  know these people personally at all so I'm just going off the TV version of them, but Carlin seems awfully young for her age so it's really hard for me to see her as married, but Erin at 22 seemed much older and more mature somehow.

1 hour ago, Pasta said:

I could see Carlin getting married since her bestie is engaged. 

I agree.  I fear that this is Carlin's last semester of college--I expect an official courtship announcement by June, and then she'll be too busy being head-over-heels infatuated to do anything else. As you know, Fundy Young Ladies aren't coordinated enough to be in luv and chew gum at the same time.

2 hours ago, Pasta said:

I could see Carlin getting married since her bestie is engaged. 

That makes me sad. My best friend got married at 22, I was nowhere near ready but she was. I see Carlin as much too immature and young for marriage. The whole studying for history thing, ugh. She sounded very very young. 

On 4/10/2017 at 0:57 PM, HereticHick said:

Anyone else disturbed by the little Bates boys complaining about having to get up at 7:30am when staying with Michael and Brandon? They way they carried on, I gathered that they get to sleep past 8am, and very possibly later, on a regular basis, and then they stay up till all hours.

The vast majority of working/studying Americans get up before 7:30am on weekdays  [see http://www.edisonresearch.com/wake-me-up-series-2/ and other studies]. The Bates lack of structure makes it more difficult for their  kids to adjust to college or work schedules. It is one of the many ways that fundy mega families like the Bates and Duggars handicap their offspring.

That always concerned me back even with the Duggar kids. I found it weird that they would brag about being night owls, and the kids really being up late. But they homeschool and have people over constantly for "fellowship". Also they preach about owning your own businesses so the lack of structure makes sense for them. Also why the little boys could start a fire when people were sleeping. 

Their sleep hours don't bother me. Their tardiness however is unchristian like behavior. Especially for people to live so by the Bible and take so literal. Don't get me started on jim bob and Josh's food intake. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived