IGNORED

My 600 Pound Life

Mela99

Any one seen how amazing Amber looks? I'm really proud of her. She was in a clickbait article somewhere. Kinda hit me a little lose when she was talking about self esteem and all that. 

The new episodes are even worse than the old ones. Lee is such an ass. Also, anyone watch that Family by the Ton show? Oh boy. I still don't understand how a family like aaaaaaaall of them can be that heavy. And how the hell do these people afford to eat 10 pizzas? A pizza pie here is $16. That's literally hundreds of dollars of food in one meal. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

On 4/6/2017 at 10:56 AM, Mela99 said:

till these Assanti brothers came long.

Oh boy. I just saw most of the reruns of these 2 episodes today. I just wanted to slap him and i'm not generally a violent person! To treat the people trying to help you like he did...just wow. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

On 1/22/2018 at 10:17 AM, OyToTheVey said:

And how the hell do these people afford to eat 10 pizzas? A pizza pie here is $16. That's literally hundreds of dollars of food in one meal. 

They aren't getting the best pizzas and aren't making them at home - dominos/pizza hut/other crap chains always have those deals where it's like 2 pizzas for less than $20 or like $6.00 each and add some wings, bread sticks, grease for a few dollars more. I don't know how anyone can eat that shit, it doesn't even look good on the advertisements. 

PIzzas at our local place that uses higher quality locally sourced ingredients are like $20-$29 for a large. Also they are creative and the pepperoni is literally the worst pizza on the menu. But I'm kind of a snob about some things.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

On 1/24/2018 at 9:45 PM, Maggie Mae said:

They aren't getting the best pizzas and aren't making them at home - dominos/pizza hut/other crap chains always have those deals where it's like 2 pizzas for less than $20 or like $6.00 each and add some wings, bread sticks, grease for a few dollars more. I don't know how anyone can eat that shit, it doesn't even look good on the advertisements. 

PIzzas at our local place that uses higher quality locally sourced ingredients are like $20-$29 for a large. Also they are creative and the pepperoni is literally the worst pizza on the menu. But I'm kind of a snob about some things.

LMAO you're talking to a Brooklyn girl. I'm such a pizza snub I never order pizza outside of NYC. But seeing someone stuff 5 pies in their face during a drive was disgusting. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

Steven Assanti scares me.  His facebook page is an interesting rabbit hole if anyone wants to jump in

https://www.facebook.com/Stevenjohnassanti

People are NOT nice to him, and honestly I think he likes it.  He posts videos sitting on the toilet and naked wrapped in christmas lights.  Its really narcissistic.  

I do watch the show religiously and I've always wondered how the hell they afford all the food!  Fast food and pizzas arent cheap, especially when you eat them all day, everyday.  None of them have any form of income, so whats going on?  I miss the early days of the show where we had people that really wanted to change their lives.  Now its seems the majority of the people almost have to be forced into it.  It amazes me that they will go across the country for Dr. Now (who my husband calls the troll), because he doesnt seem all that special.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

On 2/2/2018 at 3:11 AM, Toothfairy said:

Steven needs to be in a mental hospital. 

Honestly? 95% of them do. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

I freakin LOVE this show, and am not afraid to admit it. The only downside is that I compulsively eat through most of the episode. I play armchair psychiatrist every episode too. Oh, and I call my mom and give her updates, after every three months on the show, so at least 4 phone calls an episode.

As an avid watcher of the show Intervention as well, I like to see the similarities and differences between drug/alcohol addiction and food addiction. What I find really strange, is that more times than not, I find the Intervention folks to be more likable, that the 600lb life folks. Some of the 600lb life people, just seem to be truly awful people, and they would be that way, even if they weighed 175lbs.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, SnazzyNazzy said:

As an avid watcher of the show Intervention as well, I like to see the similarities and differences between drug/alcohol addiction and food addiction. What I find really strange, is that more times than not, I find the Intervention folks to be more likable, that the 600lb life folks. Some of the 600lb life people, just seem to be truly awful people, and they would be that way, even if they weighed 175lbs.

Have you seen the new season that takes place in the Heroin Triangle? I'm obsessed. These people are more likeable than the 600lb folks. It's crazy how a middle class nice area like Marietta was affected. But most of the Intervention people have parents or grandparents that are addicts. I play armchair psychologist with that. It's a very interesting nature vs. nurture study. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

23 hours ago, SnazzyNazzy said:

I freakin LOVE this show, and am not afraid to admit it. The only downside is that I compulsively eat through most of the episode.

Not judging, but HOW? I can't eat much of anything for several hours after I watch this show. Between the close ups of them eating, the horrors of what they are putting their body through, and the shots of the plates piled high with crap, along with the medical stuff... no thank you. I want to find the enablers and follow them around, telling them to only give them 1/2, and then after a week or so, 1/2 it again. They won't starve to death. 

And ugh, the learned helplessness. The episode I'm watching now is like "i couldn't get out of bed without my husband." Well, you didn't even try. You just sat there like a bump on a pickle and yelled for him to come. Or whats her name, Pauline or Paula, with the oxygen that Dr Now was adamant she didn't need. WHY? Supplemental oxygen isn't cheap. It can't be comfortable, when my dad was on it he was constantly pulling it off. Same with his dad. Or maybe we just have sensitive nostrils? Idk, but these people NEED to actually TRY to do something for themselves. 

Or this: 

Spoiler

I don't know if she's depressed (probably), or just pathetic (can it be both?). But omg shopping for food should not be the highlight of your day! You aren't an 80+ year old living in a nursing home! 

And this clip is, like, so conflicting for me. I feel bad for her, because it has to be so sad to live like that. But I'm also grossed out and fascinated. I was 40 lbs overweight and my mobility, energy, and brain were affected. HOW do people live like this for so long?  I looked up the full episode and I think I'll recap it on the FJ Reviews. It's from season 5. It opens with her bathing on the porch. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

Hide contents

I don't know if she's depressed (probably), or just pathetic (can it be both?). But omg shopping for food should not be the highlight of your day! You aren't an 80+ year old living in a nursing home! 

And this clip is, like, so conflicting for me. I feel bad for her, because it has to be so sad to live like that. But I'm also grossed out and fascinated. I was 40 lbs overweight and my mobility, energy, and brain were affected. HOW do people live like this for so long?  I looked up the full episode and I think I'll recap it on the FJ Reviews. It's from season 5. It opens with her bathing on the porch. 

I'm like 30 lbs overweight. I can't seem to shake it off. I can honestly feel it. I don't know how they carry that much weight around all day long. I even hide it well cuz big boobs kinda hides the gut. When I had my gallbladder removed I lost 15lbs(gained it back) but I felt amazing. My mobility changed with that 15 lbs off.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

I love this show but they are showing too many people I cannot root for because they can be so hateful or ungrateful to those trying to help them. I love the stories of people working hard and no complaining because Dr. Now doesn’t want them to eat carbs.

if you get a chance, check out Family by the Ton. It’s a nice family, all trying to lose weight, who are supportive of each other and very well groomed. There is not a Steven or Penny in the group. You see the difference when people are surrounded by those who really love them and want them to succeed. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

I like the family by the ton family too. The only thing that kind of bothered me is how dead set everyone is on surgery being the answer and no one ever mentioning that maybe they should all work on changing their eating habits as well. But the show is about getting the surgery so whatever. But yeah they dont seem to have mental health issues or entitled asshole syndrome like some of the 600 lb life participants and I love how supportive they are of each other. Thats what a lot of the folks on 600 lb life are missing. They either have enabler(s) that are not mentally well themselves or their loved ones have kind of written them off and are not supportive (which i get that but its not helpful). Even though their behavior is pretty disgusting and they can be assholes I do have empathy for almost all of the individuals Ive seen. Its an addiction that becomes very visible to everyone around and is definitely not a fun glamorous lifestyle. I empathize with them because I understand this is not how they want to be but they are not in full control of themselves. It is very sad for them and their loved ones. The ones who work hard and find success are very inspiring. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3

I love this show but I swear to god, I want to smack 80% of the participants in the face with a 2*4. They are just so incredibly entitled and unwilling to do what it takes to get themselves out of the hole THEY dug (ate) themselves in. It pisses me off to no end --- specially being a recovering alcoholic. I know that it is a BITCH to keep the lion in the cage... but it is fucking doable. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

19 hours ago, seattlechic said:

I love this show but I swear to god, I want to smack 80% of the participants in the face with a 2*4. They are just so incredibly entitled and unwilling to do what it takes to get themselves out of the hole THEY dug (ate) themselves in. It pisses me off to no end --- specially being a recovering alcoholic. I know that it is a BITCH to keep the lion in the cage... but it is fucking doable. 

And the enablers and their delusions! There was one episode where a patient got sick after the surgery and his mother is feeding him McDonald's. She says, and I quote, "He could use the calories. He's skin and bones now." The man weighed more than 300 lbs at that point. 

My other favorite "Are you living on planet earth?" moments were the woman who said she might be bulimic because she wasn't eating much after surgery and when Lee said he was pretty mobile, because he could go "Twenty to thirty feet with his canes."

The friends and family bother me more, because obviously the patients have an addiction and will justify whatever they do the same way an alcoholic who passes out on a street corner "doesn't have a problem." But how are these other people going along with this insanity? The relatives and friends don't appear to be feeders.

I always wonder how much of it is the addiction, how much is messed up family dynamics, and how much is living in a skewed social group where 300 lbs has become "small."

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

There's this shop on Etsy that sells Dr. Now magnets. I almost bought "Why you eat so much" when I was dieting

il_570xN.1472286239_f2pa.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3
  • Love 2

19 hours ago, MsSaylor said:

anyone watch tonights episode? Its a doozy

I got as far as...maggots.

Please don't tell me it gets worse.

So I ended up watching Season 5's Nicole and James K last night and I hate them both. I can not get Nicole out of my head. So much stupidity. Who packs up their entire family and moves to another city across the country without a plan? Why can not a single one of her family members eat a vegetable? Why is she ok with being hosed off on the porch? 

James might be the absolute worst, though. And someone had an affair with HIM? Is there some part of this they aren't showing where he's able to sit up unassisted and is nice to people? 

• Love 2

On 2/22/2018 at 2:55 PM, JenniferJuniper said:

I got as far as...maggots.

Please don't tell me it gets worse.

What's the person's name? 

Her name was Lisa I think. Dumbest episode ever. She literally does nothing and gets kicked out of the program. 

Sadly last nights episode involved the participant passing away. 

Her name was Lisa I think. Dumbest episode ever. She literally does nothing and gets kicked out of the program. 
Sadly last nights episode involved the participant passing away. 

How sad! I have it recorded but haven't watched it yet. I think that would be the first time anyone has passed away on the show, right?

Also I'm headed off to Etsy to get a Dr. Now magnet. My husband and I could both benefit from it!! Thanks Mela99!