IGNORED

My 600 Pound Life

Mela99

Am I the only one loving this trainwreck of a show? I thought James (two weeks ago) was the worst I'd ever seen till these Assanti brothers came long.

• Upvote 5

I love that show.

It makes me feel like a terrible person, though. I usually watch it at the gym while on the treadmill and it's incredibly motivating. So many of the patients are straight up assholes and I don't feel at all sorry for them when they are crying about whatever trauma they experienced. I also hate their families who just give into such childish behavior. If you are unable to get off the couch to feed yourself, and someone else is in charge of your food, then your family sucks too. 

Dr Now is so patient, there's no way I wouldn't just tell most of those people off. They are like "yeah, I'll follow your diet plan" and immediately go order every thing at the drive through.

How do they afford so much food? it's mind boggling. I don't get it. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

I've been watching it on YouTube and I'm perplexed by the enablers. I've also been watching the Skinny vs Supersize show, very cringeworthy. 

Edited by DancingPhalanges
  • Upvote 5

On 4/6/2017 at 10:56 AM, Mela99 said:

Am I the only one loving this trainwreck of a show? I thought James (two weeks ago) was the worst I'd ever seen till these Assanti brothers came long.

It's my guilty please. I know these people probably suffered a lot as kids but jeez so many of them are just assholes. We've all gone thru stuff, but at a certain point you have to stop and think, maybe I shouldn't eat 20 donuts today.

I also find it motivating to not eat the extra snacks. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

It's like an infomercial ... I'll be channel surfing, and stumble across it, and that's it: Never progress past the channel.

I've noticed that a really common theme among many of them is sexual abuse.

• Upvote 2

On 4/6/2017 at 4:58 PM, Maggie Mae said:

How do they afford so much food? it's mind boggling. I don't get it. 

I wonder that too. Some of the people shown don't appear to work, so I assume they are on disability. Also, many of them are shown eating take out food which is more expensive. Granted, a lot of it looked like fast food, but still, it all adds up.

• Upvote 4

This is one of my semi-secret shame shows. I only talk to people online about it, and won't watch it when my partner is home because he makes fun of me for watching it (and other "fat people" shows like Big Fat Fab Life) :P

I was looking forward to a Pt 3 with the Assanti brothers - I've been following Steven since he was on Dr Phil and Youtube - but it seems the rest of the season is going to be a bunch of "Where are they now?" episodes. Hoping that the premiere for the next season is going to show the brothers, and that the younger one gets surgery before Steven!

• Upvote 3

• 3 months later...

Just found this thread here. @nomoxian I would say this is a show I only discuss online too. Coming from the UK here, I don't think I have ever seen someone with such a weight problem around here. Not saying that we're all super healthy (we did invent a deep fried mars bar) but it struck me that our healthcare services would step in before people got that ill. A lot of them seem to have underlying mental health issues that they need to deal with too. Surely it would be in everyone's best interests to stop people from getting that overweight before it happens?

Also some of the people on the program are infuriating. I remember one woman who I swear threw a temper tantrum when her family were trying to get her to lose some weight before surgery.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Mela99 said:

Bump. Anybody watching the new season? 

Yep. I'm all over it. 

We all hate Lee with the fury of a thousand blazing suns, right?

I'm really shocked TLC downplayed the domestic violence aspect so much and tacked on a happy ending to that episode. The man was clearly mentally and physically abusive. It was pretty much textbook. She deserved so much better. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

Yes! I recorded a bunch of past episodes on my dvr. I fell asleep during the one I was watching last night but the lady was infuriating!! She was upset because no one in her family would drop their jobs and while lives to move to Houston with her from California. She went for a visit and ended up in the hospital where she was forced to lose weight cuz no one was bringing her food.

As soon as she got back home, she started ordering food and having it delivered. I too was wondering how she could afford all the food she bought!! I'm assuming she was on disability and I know that doesn't pay a whole lot. I fell asleep when she got upset at the nutritionist who came to her house.

Looking forward to the new episode tonight!

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, PumaLover said:

As soon as she got back home, she started ordering food and having it delivered. I too was wondering how she could afford all the food she bought!! I'm assuming she was on disability and I know that doesn't pay a whole lot. I fell asleep when she got upset at the nutritionist who came to her house.

I'm pretty much addicted as well.  It's equal parts maddening and inspiring.  I'm not sure about the episode you watched but it seems most of these folks are addicted to really cheap fast food.  It's cheap, tastes good, easily available, and you can remain somewhat anonymous by staying in your car when getting it.   I never eat fast food myself because I can afford not to, but when I see some of these value meals advertised on TV I'm amazed.  It's little wonder we have such problems with obesity when the only food poor people can afford in quantity is such addictive crap. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, JenniferJuniper said:

I'm pretty much addicted as well.  It's equal parts maddening and inspiring.  I'm not sure about the episode you watched but it seems most of these folks are addicted to really cheap fast food.  It's cheap, tastes good, easily available, and you can remain somewhat anonymous by staying in your car when getting it.   I never eat fast food myself because I can afford not to, but when I see some of these value meals advertised on TV I'm amazed.  It's little wonder we have such problems with obesity when the only food poor people can afford in quantity is such addictive crap. 

I agree with your last sentence. I've read a lot about food deserts and the inner cities (among other places) not having much in the way of available fresh food. Many single parents who work a lot don't have time to shop and create healthy, from scratch meals. So many of their kids wind up obese from eating highly processed instant foods of some sort. My husband grew up this way and had always thought spaghetti and Sunny D were healthy things.

The episode I watched last night was Erica. It was from February 2017. She was in California but I have noticed that many of these people are from rural areas, where they probably face the same issues as the inner city people. I know that's not true for all of them, but the majority of the people just stop at the drive through rather than cooking for themselves. Some people never learned to cook, some don't want to cook, some are just addicted to the salty, greasy fast food. The companies make it that way so people keep coming back for it!

I'm a vegetarian and rarely eat fast food but I do like a good grilled cheese and fries from In 'n Out. I won't even be hungry but I will finish every last morsel of it. That's what fast food does to you!! I do cheer for the people as they lose weight and regain their health, though.

Sorry for rambling. I'm a foodie and I love food. I have issues with food addiction. I guess that's part of why I'm so obsessed with this show.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

This show is one of my favorite gym shows, which kind of makes me a terrible person. Also the fact that it's very rare when these people make me feel something other than rage, annoyance, irritation, or frustration. 

So many of them eat an absurd amount of expensive fast food and refuse to do anything for themselves. The enabling pisses me off as well. Then they blame abuse, molestation, anything other than the fact that they refuse to work on their issues and be better people. 

You have kids? Don't make them bring you shit food to eat in bed. I don't care what kind of abuse you suffered, you are setting up your kid for failure. Most of these people have enough money to live in houses and spend fortunes on food. If someones kid came to me and said their parent was in bed all day and spent them same amount of money on drugs or alcohol, we'd call cps. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

I still can't believe either of the Assanti brothers are still kicking. Biggest train wrecks I have seen on this show so far. The father is an enabling idiot, too. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

@Mela99 - I don't think anyone can get that obese without having at least one enabler.

@JenniferJuniper - To me, fast food is expensive, at least for the amount you can get for 99 cents. These people aren't eating from the Value Menu either, and they aren't eating just one hamburger. All of their social activities revolve around food too, like going to a restaurant (usually a chain, which costs more than a local doner or greasy spoon place) or ordering food in when they host guests (more expensive than cooking a homemade meal)

@unsafetydancer - The UK has an awesome show called Supersize VS Superskinny. I think it's on Channel 4, but I watch it on Youtube.

SO happy to hear the new season is on. Off to watch it now :)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mela99 said:

I still can't believe either of the Assanti brothers are still kicking. Biggest train wrecks I have seen on this show so far. The father is an enabling idiot, too. 

The older brother is the one person in the world that I hope stays so fat he's not mobile. I have no doubt that if he were mobile, he'd be a serial killer. Honestly, he's the worst of the worst. His dad - I don't know why his dad would put up with any of that shit. Unless he's scared of his kid. I know the younger brother fears the older one moving back home. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

The older brother is the one person in the world that I hope stays so fat he's not mobile. I have no doubt that if he were mobile, he'd be a serial killer. Honestly, he's the worst of the worst. His dad - I don't know why his dad would put up with any of that shit. Unless he's scared of his kid. I know the younger brother fears the older one moving back home. 

I really think Steven has a personality disorder. Something is deeply wrong there, and potential serial killer is not a far out theory. 

I think that his dad just has massive guilt issues from his kids' abusive upbringings. I don't really get it. The enablers puzzle me more than the morbidly  obese people. The latter clearly have an addiction. The former don't, so why are they doing this? And the freaking justifications of what they're feeding their partner. "It's all been healthy," and then cue the footage of them rolling through the front door with a stack of pizzas and bottles of Mountain Dew. I don't know if they are just liars, really understand so little about nutrition, or are in some delusional level denial about it all. The addict can't get up and access their addicted substance themselves, so just stop bringing it to them!

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3

8 hours ago, nausicaa said:

The enablers puzzle me more than the morbidly  obese people. The latter clearly have an addiction. The former don't, so why are they doing this? And the freaking justifications of what they're feeding their partner. 

Some of the enablers (not papa assanti) are doing it because it's a fetish. It's creepy and terrible. It's also why a lot of the women who do the surgery, follow the diet, lose weight, and regain mobility end up divorced/dumped. There are a lot of sucky people in the world. I'm afraid that TLC is making it their mission to try and find them all and put them on TV. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

There are a lot of sucky people in the world. I'm afraid that TLC is making it their mission to try and find them all and put them on TV. 

I know TLCs motive is more L for Lulz instead of Learning, but maybe this show might make some people wake up. Realize their partner is sabotaging their desire to become healthy by bringing them fast food instead of going to the grocery store in the same strip mall, or getting them a double burger with cheese and bacon and butter bun instead of a grilled chicken wrap. Or that they create some sort of  mini emergency every time they try to go out to the gym.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

I watched the episodes with the two brothers the other day. I seriously hope that the dad finds a way to stop the oldest brother being in their lives because he's just awful. He's so openly manipulative that it's creepy. The person above who said he would probably become a serial killer is maybe not wrong. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1