IGNORED

Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath 2

DaisyD

I binge watched the first season late last week and I'm now caught up through last night's episode. What a screwed up "religion." The amount of money people pay to be in this cult makes my head spin. And the fact people pay to take courses so they can complete a previously completed level because they "found" a paper/reading that was not included previously blows my mind. It's not a religion, it's a money making scheme. 

I can't believe how little emphasis is put on educating the children, but then again if you educate children they might start thinking for themselves and figure out this cult is a crock. Tayler Tweed's story broke my heart. Her mom is a hold heartless person. I'm glad Leah Remini and others are bringing this cult's horrible practices to light and exposing the wrongdoings. 

• Upvote 11

Taylor's mother is brainwashed. She believed that the best way to help her daughter was to cut her off from all assistance until she stopped her "entheta comm". That's the tragedy of this cult. People are brainwashed to believe the opposite of the truth. It's only when they get out that the truth dawns on them and it's devastating. 

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, Inky said:

As  soon as I hear a celebrity is a scientologist, I immediately feel like their personal "stock" or "integrity" goes way down in my mind.

Definitely. It makes it difficult for me to enjoy watching them, too. Same as it would for a celeb that is a raging racist, or one who is known to sexually assault others, etc.

I think once they're in it deep, they probably do have handlers that are babysitters to keep them from seeing and hearing anything negative. It's likely done under the guise of "we're taking care of everything for you!" Since many celebrities avoid negative press anyway, it may not seem too weird for them to just not browse around.

But, if they've willingly joined that group in the Internet age, there's no excuse. The information has been out there for quite a while. There's no way they haven't heard.

• Upvote 7

While watching teen mom 2 on the MTV App I saw a Scientology commercial that blew me away. It was comparing Leah Remi to the KKK and basically saying you should write to shut down her "hate" show and stand up to intolerance. It was so offensive I have tried to find it on you tube to share but couldn't. I have no idea how they got MTV to air it even on the app. 

• Upvote 2

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 4:08 AM, Jess said:

While watching teen mom 2 on the MTV App I saw a Scientology commercial that blew me away. It was comparing Leah Remi to the KKK and basically saying you should write to shut down her "hate" show and stand up to intolerance. It was so offensive I have tried to find it on you tube to share but couldn't. I have no idea how they got MTV to air it even on the app. 

You and I have similar taste in shows - last night I watched the new episodes of both Aftermath and TM2

Edited by Coconut Flan
Repaired quote.
  • Upvote 1

After the last episode, I googled Philip Gale. I wanted to read those articles. Wow just wow. This was a child genius and for him to feel like there was no way out. No religion should be the thing that kills you. I'm also a huge believer in modern psychology/psychiatry. I studied it for a while. To hear about all these children that are basically told you're an adult, take it and just do what we say, it's heartbreaking. Philip and Taylor could have been saved. Taylor Tweeds mother should be held accountable for her actions imo.

If Michelle Carter got convicted for her bfs suicide, I'm putting Cathy Tweed in the same category. She basically pushed her own daughter to death.

• Upvote 9

I've long wondered what it would be that would cause me to join a cult, considering I was raised to be automatically suspicious of religion as a whole. Last night I figured it out. I was totally stressed out for my entire first pregnancy (active duty military and 3 months along on 9/11), and my oldest is by far my most difficult child. All of that pregnancy engram stuff could have totally wormed its way into my sleep deprived, postpartum brain. I'm kind of glad that Tom Cruise was such an asshole to Brooke Shields while I was going through my baby blues. That was my first visual of Scientology. 

• Upvote 10

I was floored by last night's episode.  Had I gone through this or been raised in this, I think I would have been labelled a "suppressive person" early, as I would have questioned the process of holding  the equivalent of electronic mood rings and being badgered with the same repetitive question for hours as "science".

• Upvote 6

I forgot season 2 had started. We don't have cable switched to a roku box , but we have sling and A@E is on there. Just starting season 2 now. 

• Upvote 4

This last episode cracked me up. "Do you know you are who you are? We just saved you a lot of money". "I can talk to my cat now".

And the boiler room bridge signup tactics! Used car salespeople have more integrity!

It was nice to see Leah's mom on the show with her.

Looking at the bridge topics shows that it is, at most, a human potential, pop psychology movement. In America though, if you call your group a religion, so it is. All that lost tax revenue...

Never trust a religion started by a science fiction writer.

Oh, and Miscavage saying there were transcription errors in Hubbard's works, so everybody had to buy the new versions. Didn't Hubbard write in contemporary English?

A bit of levity was good this time around, as several of the episodes have made me cry.

I hope at least a few find their way out of this heartless cult as a result of this program.

• Upvote 6

I loved how Leah's mom said she got all the way up to OT VII and realized that it was all complete and utter bullshit.  

• Upvote 9

Does anyone else feel like Leah's mom was hoping Leah would call bullshit right then and there when she read the Xenu shit, and that's why she wanted to be there for it?

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, DaisyD said:

Does anyone else feel like Leah's mom was hoping Leah would call bullshit right then and there when she read the Xenu shit, and that's why she wanted to be there for it?

I get the feeling that mom wanted her to say let's leave and take the family right there because remember if you don't take your family out with you, you loose your family and then the cult controls the narrative it is feeding to the family members left behind.

• Upvote 9

On 9/7/2017 at 0:53 PM, SilverBeach said:

And the boiler room bridge signup tactics! Used car salespeople have more integrity!

I just have to comment on this.  
I nearly bought a used car from Mike Rinder at a dealership a couple of years after he got out of "the church".  A man of integrity he is, even when he was selling used cars. ;)  

• Upvote 11

8 hours ago, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

I just have to comment on this.  
I nearly bought a used car from Mike Rinder at a dealership a couple of years after he got out of "the church".  A man of integrity he is, even when he was selling used cars. ;)  

I had no idea! It's good to know that he's an exception! Rinder has integrity now, but sure didn't when he was a CO$ enforcer. His integrity now is a good thing that reinforces Leah's efforts.

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 6

On 9/9/2017 at 2:41 AM, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

I read this 3 times and I don't think you are being sarcastic.  Interesting that he was honest.  

A couple of us here once discussed how every single disgraced priest, minister, pastor, etc. (regardless of denomination) we have known either ended up in prison or as a used car salesman.  Our theory was that the job doesn't need references and that selling cars uses the same skills as selling religion. ;)

One thing I'm interested in, and I don't think he's said anywhere is:  when exactly did Rinder decide Scientology was a load of bunk?  While he was still the enforcer or when he was in the Hole after pissing off Miscavige?  

Rinder certainly seems to have completely rejected the whole thing these days.  Unlike the couple in that episode who are still believers in the Tech.   Also unlike Marty Rathbun who was a squirrel (believed in and practiced the Tech outside the "Church.")

Sadly, it really looks as though Rathbun has gone back.

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 9

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 2:26 PM, Palimpsest said:

A couple of us here once discussed how every single disgraced priest, minister, pastor, etc. (regardless of denomination) we have known either ended up in prison or as a used car salesman.  Our theory was that the job doesn't need references and that selling cars uses the same skills as selling religion. ;)

That might have been me. (rolling my eyes, not at you, but because it's unfortunately mostly true)

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, apple1 said:

That might have been me. (rolling my eyes, not at you, but because it's unfortunately mostly true)

Now you remind me, I'm pretty darn sure it was you!

Although we only have anecdotes to share and no statistical proof - it is a strange coincidence.

• Upvote 4

I was so happy that the show won an Emmy. At, least it shows that many in Hollywood and the entertainment business hate Scienotology and want it brought down.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Now you remind me, I'm pretty darn sure it was you!

Although we only have anecdotes to share and no statistical proof - it is a strange coincidence.

Sure is plenty of coincidence. :-)

• Upvote 3

On 9/10/2017 at 2:26 PM, Palimpsest said:

One thing I'm interested in, and I don't think he's said anywhere is:  when exactly did Rinder decide Scientology was a load of bunk?  While he was still the enforcer or when he was in the Hole after pissing off Miscavige?  

Mike left not long after the airing of John Sweeney's Scientology and Me documentary. He was supposed to defend Scientology, and he did, but Miscavige was still unhappy with the documentary, and told Mike that he was to report to Sussex, England and "dig ditches for awhile," and then he could return to the US. (The church denies this ever took place, because of course they do). In the bio on his website, he said he left "when I finally decided there was no way I could change the culture of violence and abuse that had become endemic under the 'leadership' of David Miscavige."

If you have not read the series of articles called The Truth Rundown, please do. It's a fascinating read. The first two sections delve more deeply into the death of Lisa McPherson, and then the third gets more into Miscavige. Rinder speaks throughout, and it was one of his first public interviews he gave after blowing for good. 

The Truth Rundown

(The church, because of course they do, denies any and all of the events that are described within the articles. Just like they have basically denied Lisa's family any kind of answers or closure.)

• Upvote 6

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic