IGNORED

Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath 2

DaisyD

I'm more than a little shocked that that was allowed. Was this in California? I would think all of the Florida bases would be wise to $ci.
It was in California. Super fucked up.

I was bummed over last night's episode. It was the ask me anything Reddit Q&A. It was from this Q&A

and in the show they didn't discuss much more than we have already heard. The only thing I liked about it is my husband watched it with me and he was shocked at some of the stuff. So it was a good broad overview for a newbie to the show :)

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

The only thing I liked about it is my husband watched it with me and he was shocked at some of the stuff. So it was a good broad overview for a newbie to the show

Yes, and that is not a bad thing.  It was probably a good idea to do a review for new viewers. 

• Upvote 7

21 hours ago, DaisyD said:

What Is a person with NPD to do when they are actually completely mediocre at best? Experience says they either start a cult, or run for president. 

You know, they could drag their family to a foreign land as a missionary and live the life of a successful grifter.

We found the reddit show pretty repetitive too. But still enjoyed it. We'll be back for next season for sure. Hopefully they keep winning awards - that will encourage more people to watch. 

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, Inky said:

We'll be back for next season for sure.

Wait. What? That's it for this season? :tw_bawling:

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Wait. What? That's it for this season? :tw_bawling:

Well, unless they decide to air the Danny Masterson rape episide. That would be good for sure, since that would men they finally got around to filing charges and having a trial.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, OtterRuletheWorld said:
On 11/21/2017 at 2:22 PM, DaisyD said:
I'm more than a little shocked that that was allowed. Was this in California? I would think all of the Florida bases would be wise to $ci.

It was in California. Super fucked up.

I'd still writ a letter to command about it. Separation of church and state is a big deal. If it was the command chaplain that invited them, that's a bit of a problem too. They're supposed to be secular as much as possible, no matter their preferences. 

• Upvote 6

11 minutes ago, DaisyD said:

I'd still writ a letter to command about it. Separation of church and state is a big deal. If it was the command chaplain that invited them, that's a bit of a problem too. They're supposed to be secular as much as possible, no matter their preferences. 

Agree and it was been done by not only myself. I contacted the Garrison and the response was essentially that they (the Church) were really excited to share their message and by the time they realized what was said, it had already been signed off on by an authorized person. That brings upon it's own set of issues, but I can see where those with the Church were likely sneaky, got it through or at least with an individual that was willing (or dumb enough) to let it go through and by the time they realized they decided it was easier to let happen, not advertise at all (there was absolutely none) and let it happen rather than deal with the CoS coming back with some lawsuit and bring a lot of attention to it.

I spent a lot of my life living and somewhat growing up in Florida. I can only think of an handful of times I ever had serious CoS interactions. It happens often here. We have never been stationed in FL though, so it is possible it is happening on or around bases.

There is also this:

U.S. Pays for Scientology ‘Experiment’ on Sick Veterans

Edited by OtterRuletheWorld
added link and clarification
  • Upvote 1

That wouldn't surprise me. The episode about the ministries group showed the acosting national guard personnel. That's so disingenuous. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad they're doing it without cancelling the show. It's not really fair to put that many people out of work over accusations not yet proved in court. The pendulum has swung in the abusers' favors for so long that this swing in the other direction is needed. I just hope that, when it's all said and done, we can find balance between holding people accountable for their actions and throwing out the baby with the bathwater, do to speak..

• Upvote 6

On 12/5/2017 at 9:42 AM, quiversR4hunting said:

I miss the shows! I want more!

On a good note, Danny Masterson has been canned by Netflix. https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/danny-masterson-fired-ranch-netflix-132942397.html

He, of course, is claiming to be innocent, trying to throw the blame on his victims and claiming it's all part of Leah Remini's "anti-$cientology" efforts.

http://www.eonline.com/news/833726/danny-masterson-denies-rape-allegations-claims-leah-remini-inspired-accuser-to-contact-police

• Upvote 3

@DaisyD I too am glad it isn't canceled that would hurt all those employees.

@Terrie I wouldn't expect anything less! CO$ is all about victim blaming and so are most sexual predators.

(Not sure if it should be put in a spoiler because it might be triggering, but I am not sure. So to be safe, I put it under a spoiler.)

Spoiler

In the article, Masterson's rep basically said that victim 1 & 3 are not creditable because the supposed assault happened while they were in a relationship.

Then the claim they only came out after Leah's show, also not surprised. Also not surprised (if true) that Leah encouraged them to go to the police. If someone tells me about a crime they witnessed or was done against them I would encourage them to go to the police too! Also, the show probably gave the ladies courage to come forward. 1 of the ladies reported the issue in 2003 and according to the rep the LAPD closed the case in 2004. Again, according to the rep, the LAPD closed it because it has no merit. If it had no merit, then why would the LAPD reopen it after 2 more accusers come forward? More likely scenario (in my head) is that the accuser decided not to press charges so the LAPD closed the file.

The web we weave if only to deceive... (not exact quote but close enough)

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Hide contents

In the article, Masterson's rep basically said that victim 1 & 3 are not creditable because the supposed assault happened while they were in a relationship.

The problem with that claim, is that it is just not true.  Statistically, most assaults/violence toward others happens within the context of existing relationships.  Ironically, a pattern and being in a relationship would make victims 1 & 3 more credible.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday, there was a sponsored ad on my instagram feed.  It was all about how Leah Remini abandoned her deathly ill sister.  I reported it to instagram as spam, but I would not be surprised if it was a planted attempt to Scientology to discredit her.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, Briefly said:

Saturday, there was a sponsored ad on my instagram feed.  It was all about how Leah Remini abandoned her deathly ill sister.  I reported it to instagram as spam, but I would not be surprised if it was a planted attempt to Scientology to discredit her.

Glad you reported it. That doesn’t sound like something she would do. 

• Upvote 2

No, Leah didn't pay the medical bills. They were already paid for. She did pay for the memorial, even though she didn't go. Apparently, her dad is pissed that she told everyone he sold drugs and did jail time.

https://tonyortega.org/2017/05/30/to-counter-leah-reminis-return-to-ae-scientology-recuits-her-father-in-smear-attack/

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

Gobsmacked to read this.  Haggis claims these accusations may be Co$ fair game at work.

3 More Women Accuse Director Paul Haggis Of Sexual Harassment And Rape

A total of four women have accused screenwriter and director Paul Haggis of some form of sexual misconduct ranging from harassment to assault and rape.

In a Friday afternoon report from The Associated Press, one woman alleges that Haggis sexually harassed her, another says that he sexually assaulted her, and a third claims he raped her. The fourth woman, Haggis’ former publicist Haleigh Breest, accused Haggis in December of raping her in 2013.  Breest sued Haggis for $9 million in December and he quickly filed a countersuit. All of the alleged incidences took place between 1996 and 2015. 

In a statement to HuffPost, Haggis’ attorney Christine Lepera vehemently denied all four allegations. She noted that Haggis believes these accusations may stem from Scientology. Haggis has long-been a vocal critic of the religion and its affiliated organizations. 

From deadline.com: 

Facing fresh allegations of sexual misconduct, Paul Haggis today postulated that the new charges were a tactic to force a mutimillion dollar settlement or the result of his long estrangement from Scientology.

$cientology has a lot of experience in making unfounded accusations to engineer the destruction of someone's reputation.  Alternately, Haggis using $cientology as a cover for rape and sexual harassment?  Beyond horrible.  I noticed the conditional language in his attorney's statement:  "She noted that Haggis believes these accusations may stem from Scientology."  But that could be to simply avoid accusing $cientology outright. 

One woman is his former publicist.   The subtext has to be that Co$ paid these women $$$ to accuse him.  That seems dicey, because it wouldn't take a lot of digging into someone's finances to see if they recently received a financial windfall, but of course, nothing is beneath the church, and they hate Haggis with the fury of a thousand suns. 

Murky, murky situation or possibly it's just what it seems; another tragic "Me Too" situation. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 1

My first instinct in most situations is to believe the women.

However I also believe Scientology would do anything to discredit detractors. Haggis has some fame and is articulate about his former associations with the cult. I worry that if it not true then Scientology has now hit on another way to go after their enemies. 

Of course if it is true I hope he is held to account. As you say it is a murky situation.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

This feels like retaliation for Danny Masterson's firing. Sort of a "If they can do it, we can too" type of thing. My question would be how many of these women are Scientologists? I know they tend to hire eafh other as much as possible. His publicist being one wouldn't surprise me at all. That being said, he'd hardly be the first director to do it. Add in that grotesque $ci teaching about any woman should want it and it seems possible that it's legit.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Botkinetti said:

My first instinct in most situations is to believe the women.

I tend to believe most women, too.

• Love 1

I tend to believe the women, as well. It's really tough to have that butted up against an absolute distrust of COS, though. Based on their past actions, it's really not hard to imagine that someone decided this was a great way to discredit a person who they feel betrayed them, particularly at a time when Masterson appears to finally be held responsible for his alleged crimes and Leah Remini is pretty much exposing all of their crap with very few repercussions to her as they hoped. I don't think a payoff would be obvious in the case of a COS member. Compensation may not be monetary in a group with their power structure.

It's extra sad, though, that a woman may not be believed if it did happen, thanks to her cult being well known for lying and attempting to tear down ex-members. It's the boy who cried wolf in group form.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic