IGNORED

Is it worth servicing a Singer?

CharlieInCharge

I have a Singer Simple sewing machine that I inherited from my mom. It hasn't been run in about 10 years. It will cost around $120+ to have it serviced and parts replaced to make it functional. It might be a lost cause after so long, but I wanted to ask if anyone with experience thought it was worth the investment. TIA

If you don't want to service it - you might check facebook.  I have at least one friend that collects (not kidding) older singer machines.  There is an entire segment of the population who will 'rehome' old machines.  Sometimes the refurbish them, other times they use them as parts.  But it is a thing.  They might be able to connect you to a repair person.  (And while my own mom's machine was a Necchi my friend was helpful in my finding a group where I advertised the estate sale for mom's machine and her machine was given a good, loving, new home)

• 3 weeks later...

@CharlieInChargeMy old Singer machine was giving me problems and the closest service center was 75 miles away. I elected to buy a new machine. It was total crap. It was plastic-y, bobbin snarled every single time I tried to use it, I hated it. I finally took it back, called and made an appointment to have mine serviced. It cost me about 150.00 and I am a happy camper now. I have my old familiar machine back and it works well. I have decided it is worth my time and trouble to have mine serviced every year so I don't have to buy some new piece of crap. The service guy told me that the new machines nowadays are mass produced, very cheaply and are considered "throw away machines". They break, you throw them away and buy a new one. I vote you service yours.

Thanks for the advice! I actually took it in and just got it back yesterday. Works perfectly and was actually just under $100, so not as much as the new machines I was looking at. Though to be honest, it was more sentiment than anything that made me do it. My mom passed away from cancer almost 5 years ago and I decided I'd rather have her machine than a new one. Happy seeing everyone! 

I'm glad you have got it serviced. The older ones are worth the money to maintain. The newer Singers are horrible.

Archived