IGNORED

Captain Bret Alan Smith Part 4: Now with Bad Poetry!

Destiny

Looks like Wesley posted using Rachel's account  -  he 'signed' his name at the end.

If so, good for him. I'm no Morton fan overall, but I'm all for anyone calling out scum instead of sweeping it under the rug regardless of religion or familial relationship.

**I just looked at the video and there are no comments under it. Did Bretty get to it already?

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Looks like Wesley posted using Rachel's account  -  he 'signed' his name at the end.

If so, good for him. I'm no Morton fan overall, but I'm all for anyone calling out scum instead of sweeping it under the rug regardless of religion or familial relationship.

**I just looked at the video and there are no comments under it. Did Bretty get to it already?

Wow!  You are right. It is gone!  That comment was 3 months old.  I don’t know how deleting comments on YouTube videos works but I would say that is a clear indication that he reads here...

I doubt the Mortons have wandered too far off the the fundie path when it comes to core beliefs but I have been heartened to see some of the younger Morton men stepping up to publicly call out Alan/defend Katie. However comments like Wesley's make me even more curious how mother and father Morton think about all that has happened and their role in (1) preparing her so poorly (2) pushing her to marry Alan when even their version makes Katie seem like she was VERY reluctant to marry Alan (3) what if anything they have learned or plan to do different. It seems wrong that they were so loud about touting their fundy ways but now are silent when dealing with the consequences of their choices. I don't suppose I'll ever know because the whole clan seems to have really curtailed their social media presence to only family/friends but I do wish they would address this. 

@browngrl Me too.   I was wondering if maybe they're waiting for the trial to be over, before they address it publicly?  Like they want it all to be wrapped up etc?   That's the generous reading, but I always remember how Katie was described as not being sure about marrying Alan, so asking her dad to decide, which was coded, to me, as Katie feeling trapped when the Smiths were saying it was God's will.  She certainly wasn't one of the "I'm marrying my best friend!!!" fundies...

Thinking of Wesley's comment about Captain Bret and Jacqueline paying for Alan's lawyer... They have never publicly denied the incest accusations or claimed Alan is innocent. They've only posted about how everyone is a sinner. If Alan has a private attorney and has not had a trial yet, it's probably because the lawyer is taking his or her time to build a case. Building a case is necessarily going to mean discrediting and tearing down Katie and the victim. So Captain Bret is paying for someone to attack the victims of his son who he does not even claim is innocent. It's disgusting. And I'm not surprised that his grown children and in-laws refuse to speak to him even though they were raised to worship fathers. 

I've followed a few Vision Forum families through the Vision Forum days and its demise, including the Smith & Morton blogs. I haven't seen any parents who advocated for stay at home daughters, courtship, or the quiverful movement publicly rescind what they used to preach, even though back in the day they publicly proclaimed it as god's will and even though they have visibly backtracked on their old standards. There is no accountability.   

22 hours ago, JustAnotherMaiden said:

I've followed a few Vision Forum families through the Vision Forum days and its demise, including the Smith & Morton blogs. I haven't seen any parents who advocated for stay at home daughters, courtship, or the quiverful movement publicly rescind what they used to preach, even though back in the day they publicly proclaimed it as god's will and even though they have visibly backtracked on their old standards. There is no accountability.   

There is one- Angie Roberts, whose daughters Katie and Emily ran the original stayathomedaughters.com. Here is one post where she addresses it. http://ladywhysblog.blogspot.com/2015/02/growing-in-grace.html?m=1

I give her a lot of credit for owning up to the bullshit. Her eldest daughter just graduated with a master's and is pursuing a career in social work.  

Oh, there's another one, who used to be into Courtship, and changed her mind, and she and her daughters post videos about it - but I don't know if she was ever SAHD types.  She has a glossy blog and maybe wrote a book, so I think she probably is more Conservative Christian than Fundy.

If any of the SMortons ever wrote a post recanting their former views I'd be bowled over.  Addie still writes in the same style, it's just not long blowsy blog posts but shorter captions for IG.  But if she ever wrote something that contradicted the patriarchy for all SAHD upbringing she had I'd check the sky for pigs. 

2 hours ago, JMO said:

If any of the SMortons ever wrote a post recanting their former views I'd be bowled over.  Addie still writes in the same style, it's just not long blowsy blog posts but shorter captions for IG.  But if she ever wrote something that contradicted the patriarchy for all SAHD upbringing she had I'd check the sky for pigs. 

It doesn't appear that they have connected their views, their patriarchy, and their courtship style with what happened to Katie. Granted, anyone could suffer the same fate and marry a child molester, but their way of doing things can set it up. Katie didn't decide to marry Alan, her dad decided for her. If I'd been her dad I would have said no if she were that hesitant and not all-in on the marriage. Instead, he said yes for her, they married, "loved" each other, and had a kid every year or so. Since Alan was the patriarch, it set him up to do as he pleased; a good wife does not second guess her husband's choices. It gives men so much freedom to do whatever they want and to whom do they answer? Katie answered to Alan, but it was never reciprocal.

I can easily see patriarchy blinding a wife to what could be in front of her face. Girls are taught from birth to revere their fathers, brothers, and future husbands. They are responsible for making them feel like "men" and must be feminine and subservient at all times, to all men. They are not taught to trust themselves or that their own opinions and thoughts have merit and value. Questioning a male's decisions, words, or actions is wrong and "feminist." It would be very easy for a man to do terrible things and get away with it with no accountability. Just read what the Cap'n and his wife think about their son and his deeds-he's either sorry so there should be an end to it, or he didn't do it. No accountability. 

I would like to say that even if the Mortons still hold fast to all their views, at least they are supporting their daughter/sister. I know people who say no divorce under ANY circumstances. And there are other threads on FJ about churches supporting the molesters among them. The Mortons have been very clear about their feelings for what Alan did and they ARE holding him accountable. 

4 hours ago, Letgo said:

It doesn't appear that they have connected their views, their patriarchy, and their courtship style with what happened to Katie. Granted, anyone could suffer the same fate and marry a child molester, but their way of doing things can set it up. Katie didn't decide to marry Alan, her dad decided for her. If I'd been her dad I would have said no if she were that hesitant and not all-in on the marriage. Instead, he said yes for her, they married, "loved" each other, and had a kid every year or so. Since Alan was the patriarch, it set him up to do as he pleased; a good wife does not second guess her husband's choices. It gives men so much freedom to do whatever they want and to whom do they answer? Katie answered to Alan, but it was never reciprocal.

I can easily see patriarchy blinding a wife to what could be in front of her face. Girls are taught from birth to revere their fathers, brothers, and future husbands. They are responsible for making them feel like "men" and must be feminine and subservient at all times, to all men. They are not taught to trust themselves or that their own opinions and thoughts have merit and value. Questioning a male's decisions, words, or actions is wrong and "feminist." It would be very easy for a man to do terrible things and get away with it with no accountability. Just read what the Cap'n and his wife think about their son and his deeds-he's either sorry so there should be an end to it, or he didn't do it. No accountability. 

I would like to say that even if the Mortons still hold fast to all their views, at least they are supporting their daughter/sister. I know people who say no divorce under ANY circumstances. And there are other threads on FJ about churches supporting the molesters among them. The Mortons have been very clear about their feelings for what Alan did and they ARE holding him accountable. 

Yes, it only illustrates how abhorrent their belief system is that we're all impressed/pleasantly surprised that they're supporting Katie and cutting off the Smiths.  That shouldn't be impressive or surprising.  It should go without saying.

On 11/21/2017 at 12:42 PM, ladyamylynn said:

There is one- Angie Roberts, whose daughters Katie and Emily ran the original stayathomedaughters.com. Here is one post where she addresses it. http://ladywhysblog.blogspot.com/2015/02/growing-in-grace.html?m=1

I give her a lot of credit for owning up to the bullshit. Her eldest daughter just graduated with a master's and is pursuing a career in social work.  

oh my goodness! her original blog post on there is wow - her husband's best friend was a pedophile and their pastor stabbed his wife to run away with his lover?? who are these people? and she cheered for jessa's daring blush dress (which i really didn't think would be a big deal, even for fundies!) which i love.  where can i read more about this family? 

18 minutes ago, picklepizzas said:

oh my goodness! her original blog post on there is wow - her husband's best friend was a pedophile and their pastor stabbed his wife to run away with his lover?? who are these people? and she cheered for jessa's daring blush dress (which i really didn't think would be a big deal, even for fundies!) which i love.  where can i read more about this family? 

You’d be surprised. I grew up fundie lite and wore a colored wedding dress. My mother felt I was making an unflattering declaration and was mortified by my choice. 

15 hours ago, picklepizzas said:

Here's a bit more. There might be more on the old site.

None of this surprises me. Fundie-ism is a breeding ground for deplorable behavior. It offers protections, covers and bible verses for anything a disturbing man - or woman - could want. And once you are part of a fucked up 'church community', you have others who will help hide your behaviors. 

• 2 weeks later...

I believe Alan is coming up on his second Christmas in the clinker.  How long can he sit there before a trial date is set if he refuses to plead out?  Wouldn’t the DA be concerned that evidence will be lost?  Or, is the case is airtight any further litigation is just a matter of going through the motions  to figure out his sentence?

Trials have a funny way of having plot twists. I'm not sure why Alan's lawyer isn't pressing for a speedy trial. I'm wondering if they're hoping to keep Alan in the jail and out of prison for as long as possible. If so, that's a move made by a man with no hope of being exonerated. 

14 hours ago, Tatar-tot said:

I believe Alan is coming up on his second Christmas in the clinker.  How long can he sit there before a trial date is set if he refuses to plead out?  Wouldn’t the DA be concerned that evidence will be lost?  Or, is the case is airtight any further litigation is just a matter of going through the motions  to figure out his sentence?

I posted the following in response to  a similar question in this thread a few months ago:

In most of the US, you can be held in county jail for an indefinite period of time, though you have to be issued a "reasonable" bail unless bail is outright denied. What is "reasonable" is entirely up to the courts, and they do not generally factor your ability to pay into the equation. Alan would have had his set by a superior judge due to the severity of the charges (Georgia's "Seven Deadly Sins"), and my assumption is that nobody in his family is willing or able to pay it. He may have been denied bail. **

He could sit in jail for years without criminal indictment.  If he accepts a plea, he will be moved to a prison. He faces a minimum of 10 years per criminal count if he is convicted, and they will factor in time served at the county level. This is just a personal assumption, but I think his legal representative has probably encouraged him to stay in county as long as possible for his own safety. (I'm not saying he has it easy in jail, but generally speaking, he's less likely to be harmed by other inmates there than in prison unless he's isolated.) It makes sense from that perspective, though some inmates aren't credited the full amount of jail time when they do this. So it's a gamble if that's what he actually is going for. Naturally, if the state gets all of the evidence they need and decides to indict him, he will either need to go to trial or accept a plea. He won't receive a reduction of his sentence in any event because SDS convictions require 100% of the time to be served.

What makes it interesting is the additional case that was alluded to in the original article. If he is convicted of the Colquitt crimes and then is later convicted of a separate SDS crime from Ashburn County, he will never be released from prison. Georgia has a "two strikes" penalty on SDS crimes. However, it seems like the two jurisdictions were working together, so in all likelihood, any related charges will be added to the same case.

** Regarding the question of whether his family could or would pay his bail, another FJ user mentioned that he'd been denied bail. I didn't go back far enough to find where that was mentioned here, but it makes perfect sense given the classification of the crime. Georgia superior courts frequently deny bail in SDS cases.

As far as losing evidence, etc., I guess that's a possibility in any criminal case. Hopefully, the evidence and any victim statements have been preserved pending a trial, should one be necessary. Presumably, at least some evidence was collected prior to the arrest, and the time since then has been spent investigating the case and collecting further evidence to see if more charges are pertinent. Though none of us here truly know if he is guilty or innocent, it seems that most of us accept that he likely is guilty based on the statements and actions of Katie and other family members. Even Alan's biggest supporters (his parents and grandparents) seem to accept that he committed the crime, but believe that he shouldn't face legal reprisal for religious reasons. Assuming Alan is guilty, his decision to remain in jail is truly his own choice, since acknowledging guilt would expedite the legal process. 

8 hours ago, SolomonFundy said:

I didn't go back far enough to find where that was mentioned here,

It has been brought up several times.  An older post of mine here: 

And the original press report here.  It also mentions possible legal issues in another jurisdiction:  

http://www.moultrieobserver.com/news/local_news/man-accused-of-incest-other-sex-crimes/article_2319ac58-5388-11e6-bae2-57376db5cc29.html

A Colquitt  County Magistrate Court judge denied bond on Tuesday for Smith. Rape is considered one of the state’s “seven deadly sins” and if bond is granted, it would be set by a Superior Court judge.

The Moultrie Observer later reported that the Superior Court judge denied bail.

18 hours ago, DaisyD said:

I'm not sure why Alan's lawyer isn't pressing for a speedy trial. I'm wondering if they're hoping to keep Alan in the jail and out of prison for as long as possible. If so, that's a move made by a man with no hope of being exonerated. 

This is exactly what I think is happening - although it really isn't unusual for a trial of this nature to be delayed for over 2 years.  

5 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

It has been brought up several times.  An older post of mine here: 

Thank you! I don't know how I missed it. 

I acknowledged the other possible charges in my original post as well. It will be interesting to see what happens on that score due to the "two strikes" policy in Georgia.

38 minutes ago, SolomonFundy said:

I don't know how I missed it. 

No worries.  When we have been discussing something for 2 years over several threads it is easy to miss things.  I think the longest discussion of why he didn't get bail was in the first thread, if you really want to go back that far. :)

Jacqueline is whining on FB about how 'you' know where to find her, she's been in the same place for 17 years, blah, blah, blah. Comments whine about how they don't know how they don't understand how it has to be like this. 

Um, really? These people are sick. It is no surprise they raised and now support a sick man. 

And Granny Scarlette shares on her own page a meme about how sad it is families don't talk and one day the 'imaginary' issues will end...

Disturbed apples don't fall far from the tree. 

Now she's snarking on climate change, proving yet again that climate change deniers don't have a fucking clue what it is. 

Climate is not weather. 

But, you can't tell a self righteous moron anything. 

Lord, help me to love hurting people, even when they've hurt me.

I'm surprised they need any help, it seems they love hurting people fine on their own. 

Bret is back on about the importance of visiting people in prison, claiming that "deceivers and false teachers" are discouraging children from visiting their incarcerated family members. I hope he's not saying that he thinks his grandkids ought to go visit their abuser! But who am I kidding, he probably is.

I hate to see him twist this issue because on the one hand, I really do think it's important to care about people behind bars. I've had several relatives incarcerated on drug offenses. One of the charities I donate to regularly is a bail fund, because I live in a really racist city where people get locked up and treated miserably for the tiniest offenses. I do wish that more Christians would remember that the Bible commands them to have compassion for the imprisoned. So it sucks that Bret is trying to make this his thing, when his true motives are shaming his family into forgiving an unrepentant pedophile.

He also asks people to "like" a page that Jacqueline created for families of prisoners, but I can't see any such page. I'm curious so please post if you find it!

• DaisyD locked this topic

Archived