IGNORED

Captain Bret Alan Smith Part 4: Now with Bad Poetry!

Destiny

2 out of the 4 Smorton marriages have now no more. I'm guessing that since the Smith girls are sticking with the Mortons, their marriages are safe for now. 

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/12/2017 at 11:36 AM, fundiefan said:

The apple fell very far from that tree. He was a highly educated man who made is living in school administration. I know Jeanine went to college - I remember reading about her going to Alabama.

Then, she marries Michael and they condemn their girls to life as breeders and their sons as construction workers in the family business.

I was thinking along exactly the same lines.  I too have a grandfather who was a very highly educated man, as were his daughter and sons. But at least one member of the third generation has, despite also having a college degree, kept her children uneducated and very, very close to home. My grandfather is most likely rolling over in his grave. I can't imagine that the elder Cox didn't have at least a few twinges about his grandchildren's utter lack of education.  I wonder to what extent the Cox/Smith marriage was arranged either explicitly or through nudges and hints in the first place, as in here is an elderly man who needs a housekeeper, and here is an elderly woman who needs protection.

1 hour ago, VVV said:

I can't imagine that the elder Cox didn't have at least a few twinges about his grandchildren's utter lack of education. 

You wonder if he saw any of those YouTube videos, including the one of Michael Morton bragging about how ignorant innocent Katie was before marrying and Capʻn Bretʻs beyond-ridiculous wedding "ceremony." Hard to believe anyone with as much education as the elder Cox wouldn't be revolted by it all.

1 hour ago, VVV said:

I wonder to what extent the Cox/Smith marriage was arranged either explicitly or through nudges and hints in the first place, as in here is an elderly man who needs a housekeeper, and here is an elderly woman who needs protection.

Yes -- the timing of that failed marriage would be interesting to know. Sheʻs on FB as Alma Smith.

Is there a cheat sheet posted somewhere to catch up on all this S'Morton business for new people? The only thing I can find from Google is a guy that went to jail for sex crimes, a GoFundMe for his wife and eight kids, and vague descriptions like "a family that marries another family." Are there family trees posted? 

43 minutes ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

Is there a cheat sheet posted somewhere to catch up on all this S'Morton business for new people? The only thing I can find from Google is a guy that went to jail for sex crimes, a GoFundMe for his wife and eight kids, and vague descriptions like "a family that marries another family." Are there family trees posted? 

The family trees are posted on http://fotw.freejinger.org/index.php?ctype=gedcom&ged=fotw2

Basically, Katie Morton and Alan Smith got married in April 2006. While during the run-up to the wedding their siblings Michael Morton and Kressant Smith decided to get married in September 2006. Then their widowed grandparents Jerome Cox (Mrs. Morton's father) and Alma Smith got married in June 2007 (two months to the day after Mr. Cox's first wife's death). Finally a third set of siblings Wesley Morton and Rachel Smith got married in September 2007. 

Katie and Alan had 8 kids and have divorced since his arrest. Michael and Kressant have 7 kids and Wesley and Rachel have 6 kids; both Kressant and Rachel are siding with the Mortons in the split. It appears that Jerome and Alma divorced before his recent death, presumably due to the family feud. Alma was not mentioned in his obituary.

@Bethella Wow! S'Mortons indeed. I feel bad for poor old Grandpa Jerome and all of the Mortons. Were there signs (I actually scoffed at myself typing that).. I meant... What were the signs that Bret Smith was abusive? 

Which family had sisters or sister in laws working together until one older cousin abused the younger cousin? 

Gosh, three or four months ago, I had only heard of the Duggars and the Bates. All these fundy families! Are they all IBLP? All Baptist? Any other denominations? Are there Catholic fundies? 

38 minutes ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

What were the signs that Bret Smith was abusive?

I don't follow them all that closely, but I'm not aware of any specific signs that Bret was abusive besides general fundie douchiness.

Which family had sisters or sister in laws working together until one older cousin abused the younger cousin? 

That doesn't ring a bell for me.

Are they all IBLP? All Baptist? Any other denominations? Are there Catholic fundies? 

No, they aren't all IBLP. There are the former Vision Forum followers, people who create their own churches, Messianic Christians/Faux Jews, and some Catholics. 

18 minutes ago, Bethella said:

That doesn't ring a bell for me

Found it. Paul and Gena Suarez, from The Old Schoolhouse homeschool blog and materials. They're on the homeschool convention circuit. Their son, Luke, sexually abused his siblings and cousin, and I can't speculate, but he had access to countless children at conventions, even sharing hotel rooms with them. As far as I know, no charges. His parents covered for other alleged predators. I will probably forget this and ask you this question again one day. My brain is on circuit overload with all the FJ rabbit holes I've been down lately.

I'd wondered about Alma and Jerry. He kept appearing in some of the younger Mortons' social media, and I started to get the distinct impression that he may have moved into the family compound in Georgia. If he and Alma split and/or divorced at some point in the past year, that would make sense. He seemed to be in frail health, and in need of live-in care.

Whomever wrote the Obit (it doesn't seem like Addie's usual style) certainly had a scorched-earth policy with regards to Alma. Not only that, but every reference to his first wife is preceded by glowing superlatives. Meanwhile, Alma's facebook picture is a cropped shot from her wedding day.

18 minutes ago, SolomonFundy said:

Whomever wrote the Obit (it doesn't seem like Addie's usual style) certainly had a scorched-earth policy with regards to Alma. Not only that, but every reference to his first wife is preceded by glowing superlatives. Meanwhile, Alma's facebook picture is a cropped shot from her wedding day.

Yes, that obit speaks volumes with its omissions. They may not even have been divorced or legally separated -- whatever caused the split between Alma & Jerry was anathema to the Mortons.

On 6/12/2017 at 11:36 AM, fundiefan said:

The apple fell very far from that tree. He was a highly educated man who made is living in school administration. I know Jeanine went to college - I remember reading about her going to Alabama.

<snip>

. I suspect, however, since the Mortons were in so deep with the Smiths at the time, there was a whole lot of god and bible and religion involved in that marriage. In truth, not strong foundations for an educated man who has already lived for 75 years, much of if in a world involving intellect.

This may have been the turning point for the family:

Dr. Jerome Cleveland Cox: Born March 5, 1932, born again on July 4, 1975.

Four years after his conversion experience he and his wife returned to Moultrie and appear to have stepped away from the secular world. As The Big Cheeto would say, "sad!"

Bret Sr. has posted a song Alan wrote - apparently he's still in the county jail.

It's disgusting. Sinners set free, generations counting on him (really? who?)

Sorrow & uncertainty....it's all a whining, disturbing bunch of BS.

I wonder if they give a single thought, ever, to the child he fucking raped? What about her/his sorrows & uncertainty?

There is something about god being a great vindicator....

I am so fucking sick. 

I cannot even begin to imagine the level of inner personal arrogance and conviction that would allow a man to post that song. 

What disgusts me endlessly about that vile man is that he has not one single time even begun to address publicly anything regarding prayers and God's grace for the VICTIMS.  He doesn't need to share anything personal other than "Please pray for the victims of my son's crimes and sin's" that's all it would take. No additional detail necessary. 

Nope, not a single syllable. 

Instead he posts this vain, attention seeking garbage. His son is in jail for crimes against CHILDREN. CHILDREN! Yet his prayers are all for his son. Seriously? What kind of a man does that? 

He should never be permitted to have any sort of relationship whatsoever with ANY of his grandchildren ever again. 

What a complete and utter disgrace to Christianity.

2 minutes ago, Kylolo said:

Y'all might want to read John Morton's comments on the post. Wow.

Before they get deleted: (1) "You need to stop this! Stop pretending that your son is under some kind of righteous persecution!"

(2) "Alan has blasphemed the name of Jesus Christ and still continues to do so...and yet you praise him to the skies! You push away your own daughters to save what's left of you and your son's reputation! I urge you to repent! And please stop posting these Alan puff pieces!"

Whoooa. You go John Morton! I love that he has been calling Cap'n on this BS all along. 

Maths has also chimed in, along with the younger Smiths who obviously saw the Mortons' comments. I'm so surprised they're still there. 

IMG_3302.PNG

Even though it must be a SOTDRT composition fail, it is nonetheless totally fitting that the SoundCloud title of Alan's song is Lord I will Follow Bret Only.

BTW, Bret's rendition of this song is as horrendous as the rest of his music.

Good on the children for pushing back. 

I'd imagine the younger Smith's were "encouraged" to honor their Father by defending him. 

I just realized that not only did that asshat post the song, but he actually posted contact information so one can use the song. The arrogance is astounding. Hey! My son is a child molester and abuser but damn, he writes a great song, want to use it? In the name of Christ? Yay!

Good for John Morton. It's quite sad to see in black and white that he's been pushing his own daughters away. I know we speculated and assumed, but to see it written like that is different. I suppose they haven't been honoring the Mighty Captain in his infinite Godliness. Obviously it's in their long term best interest as well as all of the children's, but I'd imagine it doesn't make an already heinous situation less painful for them. Interesting that he writes that it's about salvaging both of their reputations not just Alan's.  Wonder what part Bret played in all of this that isn't public. 

5 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Even though it must be a SOTDRT composition fail, it is nonetheless totally fitting that the SoundCloud title of Alan's song is Lord I will Follow Bret Only.

BTW, Bret's rendition of this song is as horrendous as the rest of his music.

Good on the children for pushing back. 

YES THIS to every word! 

I thought it must be me failing to understand the Lord I Will Follow Bret Only title, but wow, Freudian slip for sure.

That song is fucking vile.  This is how he feels in prison?  Imagine how his victims - the children he abused! - must feel!  I have no words for angry I am.

These lines must apply to the victims 100x more than to "poor" Brett Alan Smith

"Sorrows come, and 1000 tears." - self-explanatory, right?

"Uncertainty tempts me to give into my fears" - because the court case is still ahead of those poor kids

"Companions dear to me have fallen away" - like the victim(s) who know that their grandparents have prioritised the offender over them - not to mention Smith basically disowning his daughters because they prioritise the victims, like anyone with any sense of justice and decency should do.

"The night is long, of how I wish for the day"

And this line:  "No matter how great the sins I have done, his grace is greater, he's our vindicator... his face is smiling, he's reconciling, he's washing sinners clean, he sets the prisoners free" - WTAF???  Is he really saying "well, I sinned, but it's ok because God is great"???

I can't get over "generations yet to come depend on me" line either

I am assuming the 14 listens to the song are all FJ, so there's that.  It's as terrible as you imagine, complete with cheesy synthesiser effects, including those fake hand claps at one point.

So glad that the 2nd generationers continue to call him out - though I have to say, this thread depresses me so much - every time there's an update, I hope it's to say the court case has begun, so the poor victims can (hopefully) get some justice and move on and heal.

On 22/06/2017 at 4:32 AM, Million Children For Jesus said:

Were there signs (I actually scoffed at myself typing that).. I meant... What were the signs that Bret Smith was abusive? 

There's not been the court case, so we don't know the full details (and actually I hope we never do) but from the 2nd generation S'Morton reactions, it seems like there's no he-said-she-said about this case, and the sexual abuse of a child/ren is recognised by pretty much everyone.  Even Captain Brett's line is along the lines of "but he's asked for forgiveness, and the Lord forgives all, so we should too, and hey, we're all sinners, so it's hypocrisy not to forgive him"

As for signs...  In the previous threads, there are tons of the old Captain Brett videos where it's full-on patriarchal submission, but everything about the Katie Morton-Brett Smith wedding screamed it.  Katie wasn't to know WHEN she'd get married, but had to wait around for days until Alan literally rode up on a horse to claim her; the literal handing over of her bride price; Katie washing Alan's feet in front of the church etc etc.  If anything, the whole set-up makes it amazing that the rest of the S'Mortons are rightly horrified at Alan's actions.

(The really sad part is that Katie didn't even want to marry Alan - she told her dad that she wasn't sure so he should make the decision, which sounds like she was trying to say no even from the start.  These were pretty much arranged marriages between Captain Brett and Michael Morton, and the amazing thing is that the second Morton son (Wes?) was allowed to not marry the Smith daughter he was originally paired with.)

Captain Brett has scrubbed his YouTube of the full hubristic crazy, but if you look around the previous S'Morton threads, you'll see all kinds of FJ conversations along the lines of WTAF did I just watch??  He pretty much fancies himself as one of those 1950s-70s singers who have TV shows, but even apart from the fact his aesthetic is stuck in the 70s, he's just bad at it all.  My heart hurts for all his children, and it's clear from Alan's lyrics ("generations yet to come depend on me" etc etc) that Captain Brett brought him up in that fundy Crown Prince way, to believe he's incapable of actually doing wrong....   I really feel for the adopted Smith kids, stuck at home, more isolated than ever, and I hope they all can escape.

42 minutes ago, Lurky said:

My heart hurts for all his children, and it's clear from Alan's lyrics ("generations yet to come depend on me" etc etc) that Captain Brett brought him up in that fundy Crown Prince way, to believe he's incapable of actually doing wrong....   I really feel for the adopted Smith kids, stuck at home, more isolated than ever, and I hope they all can escape.

Alan was brought up as some fundie prince, but he was failed in every way by his arrogant father. Not that his crimes are anyone's fault but his own, but he was raised to believe in his all powerful specialness. He wasn't educated so he couldn't support his wife and the kids she constantly popped out. He was driving truck when they got married; that disappeared and he spent the rest of their marriage with him going back and forth between the Morton compound where he'd be given work by his father in law and the Smith compound, where 10 of them lived in a travel trailer in the back yard and he did whatever his father told him to do - pretend to make movies, mostly. Looking at pictures over the years, Katie was always so run down and the kids so disheveled & dirty. They all shine much brighter now - and I don't just mean hygienically. Katie was sold to Alan and used and abused. Alan was continually propped on a pedestal even though he's never been worth much. He's always thought himself some great godly man because he was taught that - instead of being taught to be a man, support and love his family and take care of them.

I know it goes far into speculation and all but seriously - - - I cringe when I think of Katie having to lie under him as he exerted his manliness. 

2 hours ago, Lurky said:

These were pretty much arranged marriages between Captain Brett and Michael Morton, and the amazing thing is that the second Morton son (Wes?) was allowed to not marry the Smith daughter he was originally paired with.

I never heard of that before! Was he originally paired with Kress?

2 hours ago, ophelia said:

I never heard of that before! Was he originally paired with Kress?

I can't remember the details, but they're in an older thread, but IIRC there was an idea from the parents that it would be Wesley and Kressant, but Wes never started the courtship (no idea why)

• DaisyD locked this topic

Archived