IGNORED

Jinger/Jeremy: Not as Interesting as Jingerbread

choralcrusader8613

I want to be surprised by Jeremy spouting sh*t but I'm not.

He's cut from the same cloth as the Duggars - otherwise Jinger wouldn't have been allowed to marry him.

Jeremy is clearly preaching outside of his depth as he is not a medical professional and recommending "Jesus" for treatment? That's a dangerous thing to say to people who hang onto your every word.

I have been on anti-depressants for years and I am alive because of them. If I forget to take them I get horrendously ill and my anxiety reaches a terrible peak within 24 hours. I fear if I wasn't on them I would've caused great harm to others and myself. 

So sure Jeremy, I'll turn to Jesus and ditch the zoloft if you really want... (!) 

Jeremy Vuolo, STFU- you have no freaking idea. 

@LawsonBatesEgo hugs and cuddles from the other side of the world! You are awesome. 

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After watching the documentary "Forks Over Knives" it opened my eyes to what we are eating (or not eating) really changes our health. I'm not vegan, but I'm going more that way. I do Meatless Mondays and eat more whole foods daily (fruits and veggies.) No more red meat.  I also highly suggest reading the book "The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals" by Michael Pollan. The local charter school is having the students read the young adult addition. 

I do still like chocolate cake. Yum, sugar. ;) 

Oops, just posted this in the Seewalds thread by mistake, but by the time I figured it out there were seven subsequent posts about vitamins, so instead of removing my quote I figured I better leave it... :my_tongue:

I've been told that, consistent with what has been mentioned here, most Americans are vitamin D deficient.  Spending time outside is good for you in general (except for the whole skin cancer thing, of course), but I've been told that even ranchers who are outdoors an extreme amount of time are still often vitamin D deficient.  I'm not sure it's even possible for the average person to get enough D through sun or through natural means (ie in food in which it naturally occurs, as opposed to foods fortified with it).

I don't have any answers on this, just wanted to add this perspective.

I wonder if some of these religious groups that are so against pharmaceuticals that improve people's mental state take that stance for the reason that miserable/anxious people are more reliant on the church for emotional and spiritual support and therefore easier to control? 

I don't know, but my mother suffered through years of depression that religion didn't help, and I always got the vibe that it was seen by the powers that be in our community as something of a positive because it meant she didn't question them and put up with the garbage. 

I'd be a perpetual mess without my anti-anxiety drugs. No amount of G-d, Jesus Juice, prayer or meditation would change that.

People who don't know (like Jeremy and Tom) should just keep their opinions to themselves. The uninformed speaking out against pharmaceutical help could very well cause someone harm. 

my very first job as a nurse was in mental health.  I can't tell you how many people I saw over the years who felt as if their depression was some sign of lack of faith, sin, or displeasing God in some way.  It was heart breaking to see this. 

Religion has so twisted the true meaning of faith and spirituality.  It really is one of the great tragedies of modern times.  The shear arrogance of someone like Jeremy to act as if they actually know the meaning of life and the key to heaven makes me sick. 

I sometimes see a reason to have hope that Jeremy is not quite as steeped in the marinade as the Duggars, but then he does something like this, and hopes are dashed.  I just hope that once the honeymoon wears off that he doesn't have a mean and controlling streak. 

At this point, I think our only realistic hope for Jinger is that they might not have eleventy kids.  I think they will probably have one fairly soon, but I just don't seem them popping out babies at the same frequency as Jessa and Anna. 

By the way,  where is the facebook page where he made these comments?  And since we know that In touch and other online tabloids read here and Pickles,  we have to hope that one of them will pick up on this and expose it.  Sure, the leghumpers won't are, but the people who tune in just because they are a cute couple or they think Jeremy is a hottie will be turned off.  Depression and anxiety is so common that he will no doubt offend even some of his close followers. 

The saddest part about what Jeremy said is that by taking this approach he is perverting what might otherwise be a source of support and solace during depression for members of his congregation.

Faith and a community supposedly based around love could be a source of comfort for someone feeling hopeless. Belief that you are loved and accepted can do a lot. Prayer and meditation also. Not as a cure obviously but just as a resource in a difficult time. 

Also, perpetuating stigma against seeking necessary medical help for antidepressants and other treatments, non religious talk therapy or even just healthy lifestyle advice is really awful considering he is in a position of influence and counsel.

It's a sign of an unhealthy belief system, in my mind, when it is positioned as the only authority and only treatment for all life's problems. As Trump would say, Bad! Sad! Disaster!

Re processed foods and all that: I love to eat fresh fruits and veggies, and I'm actually cutting down a lot on sugar and carbs now just to see if I can and to practice a bit of self-discipline, but at the same time, I figure we're all going to die anyway, so a little steak and pesticide and weird dyes in my body won't really matter.

I always think it is dangerous when some one goes out and tell people that depression or any other mental illness can be cured by praying. I think people can find help in religion but use it a long side professional medical help and medication if needed. I have worked in mental health the last couple of years and see what depression can do to family and a person.

So hugs to everyone here who is dealing with mental health issues. You are not alone  :)

I sort of wonder if Jill is dealing with depression or other mental health issues and this was him being passive aggressive.

If IBLP leaders allowed their followers to enter secular mental health treatment, IBLP would fall apart in no time. 

First, for many IBLP people struggling with "sin" of anxiety and depression, religion IS the problem not a solution. IBLP is all about pressure, stress, fear and unreachable standards, that are claimed to come from God Himself. Perfect breading ground for mental disorders. And healing is only possible if you stop believing crap your cult says. 
Second, all the abuse going on behind curtains. Who knows what could come up if you let an IBLP member alone with therapist. Mental health professionals are mandatory reporters, aren't they? 

51 minutes ago, Snarkle Motion said:

I sort of wonder if Jill is dealing with depression or other mental health issues and this was him being passive aggressive.

How would they know? She would never get officially diagnosed. Just pray, pray, pray. 

1 minute ago, Sherresed said:

People can use both medication and prayer.

For sure. Science Mike talks about the mental and physical benefits of prayer and meditation, but he makes zero qualms about seeking appropriate medical treatment when necessary. 

Prayer is AT LEAST a form of meditation that encourages the development of healthy brain tissue, lowers stress, and can connect us to God. EVEN IF that is a comprehensive definition of prayer, the health and psychological benefits of prayer justify the discipline.

http://mikemchargue.com/blog/2015/3/24/axioms-about-faith

There's absolutely nothing wrong with using prayer or other spiritual things to help treat anxiety or depression. Some individuals will even find that that's all they need, and that's great. No problem. Everyone's different. But that decision should not come from a place of guilt or shame. I chose not to use medication to treat my depression and anxiety. Taking into account everything about myself and my situation, that was the right choice for me. It was a freely made choice, not motivated by any outside pressure, and not based on some concept that meds = failure, sin, weakness, 'not trusting God', etc.

I agree that meds may be necessary for treating mental illness.  I was on meds for anxiety and depression for 15 years.  However, when my husband died, I went off the meds (I had missed several doses due to caring for him, anyway) for two reasons:  1 - I lost his insurance and my doc did not accept my future insurance and 2. I wanted to be sure that when I 'made it to the other side' of the grieving process and was OK, the healing was not masked by meds.  I am a conservative Christian with an open mind (pro choice, etc) and waded through grief counseling (at a Baptist church) believing and KNOWING that God is in control and carries me through good and bad situations. I used scripture, education, and experienced guidance to muddle through the grieving process. ( Xanax did help me sleep)

My husband died of brain cancer and I believe that God knew when He would take him from us and praying for healing was not going  to change that but praying kept us faithful of his healing power and grace that carried him miraculously through 20 years of diagnoses and treatments. And I am still a believer in miracles.  My God does not punish... He allows things to happen and does not tell us nor owe us the reasons.  I am writing this to hopefully relay the message that whether or not I was a good little Christian did not determine the outcome of my husband's life.  When my church prayed for his healing, they also prayed for the strength of us and our daughters to handle whatever happened.  They did not tell us to 'pray harder' or 'study God's word' more.  

When I wanted to have children, I put it in God's hands...but He allowed me to use modern science of fertility drugs (some experimental!) to produce those children.  He was still in control of my childbearing.  And then I used birth control to make sure I didn't have anymore because two was enough for us to love and raise responsibly.

The Duggars would not like me to socialize with their children.  I would encourage education, vocation, hobbies, friends who aren't family, dating to figure out what you like and don't like in a person (a Godly person is not enough --- even Godly people can be jerks and hard to live with if personalities clash) , and being independent. If I were not a strong, independent woman with a career, I would not be able to support my children (who are both now in college), own my home, or live a happy, content life.  I thank my Christian, Godly parents for raising me to do just that.  They raised me to 'not need them or a man' to take care of me.  I married my husband to be with him, not led by him.  We were a team.

And finally, I am saddened that people on this forum feel it necessary to be so hateful (using vulgar expletives or acronyms for them) about the fundies.  People want to be free to voice their opinions and lifestyles without hatred but yet I see so much hatred spewed at the far right.  They voice their opinions without using vulgarity. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.  I disagree with most everything the Duggars teach/preach but I don't wish ill will or hatred on them.  And I certainly don't think anyone who voted for Hillary is an idiot.  When given two choices, we choose what we think is best.  After my child voted (her first election) she texted me writing that "our family voted wrong!" (I, too, saw on FB a cousin had voted and added #I'mwithher).  I told her she didn't vote wrong, she voted how she felt.  Well, my child proudly posted on her FB that she, too, had voted for the first time and  added "#trump".  There were no negative comments...just respectful opinions shared through a hashtag.  I did not vote for Obama but I didn't think anyone who voted for him was stupid or worthy of slanderous accusations.  I put my big girl panties on and waited it out. 

18 minutes ago, toosweet said:

And finally, I am saddened that people on this forum feel it necessary to be so hateful (using vulgar expletives or acronyms for them) about the fundies.  People want to be free to voice their opinions and lifestyles without hatred but yet I see so much hatred spewed at the far right.  They voice their opinions without using vulgarity. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.  I disagree with most everything the Duggars teach/preach but I don't wish ill will or hatred on them.  And I certainly don't think anyone who voted for Hillary is an idiot.  When given two choices, we choose what we think is best.  After my child voted (her first election) she texted me writing that "our family voted wrong!" (I, too, saw on FB a cousin had voted and added #I'mwithher).  I told her she didn't vote wrong, she voted how she felt.  Well, my child proudly posted on her FB that she, too, had voted for the first time and  added "#trump".  There were no negative comments...just respectful opinions shared through a hashtag.  I did not vote for Obama but I didn't think anyone who voted for him was stupid or worthy of slanderous accusations.  I put my big girl panties on and waited it out. 

I'm very sorry about your husband, and I'm glad you were able to work through your grief with the help of a supportive faith community.

As for the paragraph I quoted, yep, this is a snark board. We snark on fundies. Sometimes it's vulgar, sometimes we use expletives. Many people here have been hurt very deeply by fundamentalism, and many are very concerned that the religious right in America is stripping away their basic rights, so you will see anger expressed often. Sometimes there are things said here that I don't like, that I find annoying or offensive. That's pretty much a given when you have a forum with hundreds of different people posting.

You're entitled to your opinion, and it's an opinion expressed by many, but I don't think you're going to find much support in lecturing people here about being nicer to the far right. Nor can I agree with you that there is no 'wrong way' to vote. Of course there is. Not everyone who voted for Trump was bad, evil, or malevolent, but everyone who voted for Trump was wrong. He's an ignorant, thin-skinned, unhinged sociopath who led the racist conspiracy 'Birther' movement against Obama, is in the pocket of Vladimir Putin, and doesn't have the first clue about how to govern a country. And that's being kind. I'm not going to "put my big girl panties on" while I wait for him and his psychopathic cronies to fuck over the entire world. If everyone thought like that, every country on earth would be a dictatorship. Adolf Hitler would have triumphed. The American Revolution never would have occurred. 

By the way, what is it with people joining the forum and immediately jumping in to lecture everyone about being too mean / too religious / not religious enough / too liberal / too conservative / too goofy / too serious / too whatever? It's a real theme lately.

16 minutes ago, toosweet said:

People want to be free to voice their opinions and lifestyles without hatred but yet I see so much hatred spewed at the far right.

Compared to hate spewed by the far right, Free JInger is practically cupcakes and flowers, don't you agree? Do you really want us to sugar coat how evil the far right is? They are evil. 

17 minutes ago, toosweet said:

I told her she didn't vote wrong, she voted how she felt.  Well, my child proudly posted on her FB that she, too, had voted for the first time and  added "#trump".  

I'm sorry, voting for a man who says and does the things Trump says and does is the wrong choice. Your daughter voted for racism and hate. She voted to take rights away from women. She voted to take rights away from gay people. She voted to destroy our environment. She voted to remove social programs that keep people alive so that the Wall of Racism could be built. She voted for a man who anyone who researched for five seconds could tell was corrupt to the core. When for whatever reason your daughter voted for evil, she made  the wrong choice. 

I wish I could upvote those last 2 posts more than once. Also, wish I was eloquent enough to put a response as good as that together myself. 

58 minutes ago, toosweet said:

I put my big girl panties on and waited it out. 

Can you explain what exactly you had to "wait out" that compares even slightly to what Trump is doing? Waiting out gay people getting equal rights and more people getting health care? I am really interested in what you think you had to endure by waiting it out. 

I mean I don't really want to "put on my big girl panties and wait it out" because I want to actively make my country a better place. So I'm going to put on my big girl panties and call my representatives, show up at protests (march for science is April 22, Earth Day!), and share scientifically accurate articles on social media. I'm young, I'd rather not see my rights slip away over the course of my life, and I'd rather not see the environment go to shit because of a bunch of greedy businessmen who will never live to see the horrific end. I want to make my country a better place because I'm one of the idiots that lives in it.

Pseudo-related thought: The show The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu is being criticized by some people on social media for being too overtly anti-Trump. Obviously it's a small percentage of fools with Facebook making those claims, but they exist. What they don't seem to realize is that it's based off a book from 1985... so if you feel attacked by a book that written well before Trump's presidency, which depicts disgusting mistreatment of women and dystopian Christian extremism... maybe your political beliefs aren't so great after all.

On 3/27/2017 at 10:13 AM, VelociRapture said:

Well said. Medication and Doctors are not the answer for everyone, but there is absolutely no shame in utilizing either of those things if they help you cope or help you to feel better. The most important thing is taking the steps you feel are right for you in order to get healthy and feel better. Jeremy can go fuck himself with a broken broomstick.

ETA: @singsingsingHuh. I'm B12 deficient (I don't have enough stomach acid or something) and have been on sublingual tablets for a few years now. Now I'm wondering whether the depression I dealt with between Middle School and mid-college was actually a symptom of that.

So true, depression is caused by so many different factors. I suffered with cyclical depression for years upon years. Tried therapy, every antidepressant, a host of anti anxiety meds and only ended up more suicidal. Was getting as frustrated by the "go to a doctor, take antidepressants!" recommendation as by the Jesus folks. Finally I got pregnant and it dissipated. Like, nothing. No suicidal ideation. No crying jags. Wtf?! Saw my nurse midwife and talked it out and figured it out: hormonal imbalance and PMDD. I get literally suicidal for the week before my period, which I'd told therapists but they'd mostly shrugged off while pushing Prozac on me. All I needed that whole time was to go on birth control!! Damn my queerness for not helping me figure that out earlier out of necessity! 

I know it's certainly none of my business but I wonder about Quiverfull women with hormonal issues or PMDD...I guess they just have to suffer through it and look to Jesus. *Eyeroll*

@LawsonBatesEgo I'm so glad that you are still with us! I hope that your path continues to be smooth. 

Of course medication isn't the right choice for everyone, mental health is so varied and it depends completely upon the person. Choice is the key word in that sentence and that is what fundies want to take away from us. The right to choose what we do with our bodies, whether it be mental health or (their favourite) reproductive choices. I don't accept that, I want for everyone to have a safe place that they can talk about their mental health issues, without being told it's because of sin. It's not Jeremy Vuluo's business and he should stay out of it.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived