IGNORED

HI State Rep. Beth Fukumoto has left the GOP

47of74

Some good news out of Hawaii;

nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/hawaii-republican-leader-rep-beth-fukumoto-officially-resigns-gop-n737341

Nearly two months after a Republican representative in Hawaii was ousted as the Hawaii House minority leader, she has officially announced her decision to leave the party.

"This election, I saw members of my party marginalizing and condemning minorities, ethnic or otherwise, and making demeaning comments towards women," Fukumoto wrote in her letter. "So, when I listened as our now top office holder refused to condemn the internment of Japanese Americans during World War II, speaking out didn't seem like a choice."

Fukumoto, who served as the House minority leader from 2014 until this year, also wrote about her identity as a Japanese-American woman, and accused the Republican Party of allowing "elements of racism and sexism within the base" that have hurt the party and country.

Often cited as a rising star within the Republican Party, Fukumoto told NBC News previously that she felt attacked by her caucus because of her vocal stance against Trump and the extreme rhetoric coming from many Republican leaders."[The Republican Party] seems to be punishing dissent, and when you have a political party, you need dialogue," Fukumoto said in an interview with NBC News in February.

Well, that's one on the list of GOPpers not in on the Russian Connection then. 

On second thoughts, scratch that. She's not a GOPper anymore, so I suppose she doesn't count now.
But, she is the first rat to leave the sinking ship, so that's something, I guess. :pb_wink:

1 hour ago, AnywhereButHere said:

Hawaii only had, I think, five Republican State Reps. One down, four to go!

They have five now.  Before Fukomoto left they had six. 

I didn't realize how blue Hawaii was until this morning, with only a few members of the House were Republican, no Republicans in the State Senate, and a Democratic Governor.  There have only been two Republicans in the Governor's office 

The GOP will probably teabag themselves right out of the House if they keep this up.  (I know, nice mental image, especially with Agent Orange....AAARRRRGH my brain just short circuited)!

But seriously, the GOP  fucked themselves here.  If the Republicans want any voice in Hawaii's legislature they  can't be backing people into a corner and making them feel that they have no choice but to leave the party because of a desire to kiss Orange of Stupid's ASS.

I guess she will be an Independent from here on out.  I wish her the best, and am proud of her for taking a stand for the reasons that she did.  

26 minutes ago, Howl said:

I guess she will be an Independent from here on out.  I wish her the best, and am proud of her for taking a stand for the reasons that she did.  

My understanding is that she is going to apply to join up with the Democrats, that for right now she is an independent until she can officially join the Democrats.

If even the local GOP thinks the party should put "middle America" ahead of the good of the state that just shows how far out of whack that GOP is.

Archived